Famed CBS News Anchorman Walter Cronkite Dies at 92

Happy hour starts in 5 minutes

Sarge

The Owner's Favorite
Reaction score

Air Force

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,533660,00.html

NEW YORK — Walter Cronkite, the premier TV anchorman of the networks' golden age who reported a tumultuous time with reassuring authority and came to be called "the most trusted man in America," has died. He was 92.

beamish

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Army

i remember a man whose personal integrity was so impeccable, the whole country trusted him. it was only in recent years that i could tell his political leanings. rip...

"And that's the way it is..."

Boone

GM
Staff member
Reaction score

Marine Corps Virginia

Yep. Here's to him...the ultimate journalist. There are very few who one could even mention in the same sentence. RIP sir.

servumtuum

The Owner's Favorite
Reaction score

Indiana

I literally grew up with Walter Cronkite-actually from even before him, as a child I saw Edward R. Murrow, Douglas Edwards, and afterward-David Brinkley, Chet Huntley, Eric Sevareid, all either predecessors of or contemporaries of Walter Cronkite. Ed Murrow brought investigative reporting to television and Walter Cronkite defined the role of a network news anchor. Walter Cronkite gave you the ineffable sense that he was talking directly to you, like a neighbor would, while being an impeccable news reporter. We've lost a giant, whose famous closing line I'll use in tribute..Mr. Cronkite, you informed and uplifted us all..."and that's the way it is...". Godspeed, sir.

Yusuf06

The Starter
Reaction score

When I was growing up Walter Cronkite was the news. He was a giant of broadcast journalism and there'll never be another like him.

Om

GM
Staff member
Reaction score

Virginia Tech

Thanks for sharing that, Mike. You had an opportunity to sit down with one of the giants, and you made the most of it. Well done.

beamish

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Army

whoa, mike, i used to read your leaders & success column religiously in my college days and beyond! somewhere deep in my desk drawer i have a file of columns that i painstakingly clipped from the pages of IBD. thanks for those inspiring stories and sound advice over the years!

Sarge

The Owner's Favorite
Reaction score

Air Force

Too bad he couldn't make it until tomorrow, the 40th anniversary of Apollo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Private conversations
Help Users
    You haven't joined any rooms.
    Chat 0