• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

F--- This Truck

Nobody

Super Bowl MVP
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
Big surprise, my truck is screwed up again. Well not really screwed up, just having a problem I cannot solve and it's driving me mad. Yesterday when I was driving, my battery light came on. Since in the past, this was always an alternator problem, I took off my alternator to see if anything was visibly wrong with it. There was. The cap that holds the bearing in was missing, and so were the bearings. So I went to get a new alternator.

As I always do because of duds, I had them test the new one before I left the store. It tested perfect. So I put it on, and put on a new serpentine belt, and the light is still on. Since the battery is less than a month old, I was certain that wasn't the issue, but hooked up the charger to it anyway. When I got in the truck after a while, It started right up, ran fine, but the stupid light was still on.

I also have a battery gauge on my dash that is supposed to be in the middle, but it's sitting about halfway between the middle and the low end. I drove it around for over an hour with headlights, A/C and radio on, hoping it would drain and point to a battery problem. The needle on the gauge didn't move a hair, and when I turned it off and waited a while and turned it back on, it still started right up, but the light is still on and the gauge shows the exact same reading.

Since I was at a loss, I figured what the hell, and took the battery to get tested. It tested perfect.

So WTF? The alternator tests perfect and is new. The battery is new and tests perfect as well, and the serpentine belt is new. The battery gauge reads low and the light stays on though, but the battery does not drain, the truck starts right up, and it drives normal. No blown fuses either. I'm at a total loss.

Any ideas?

Oh sure, the easy solution :laugh:

Quite frankly though, I just don't have the time. All the places around here stay so busy that I would have to drop it off for a couple of days, and I just can't do that.

My plan B is to drive it until something breaks, because I'm smart like that :D

Actually, speaking of tailpipes and cars following apart, I have a question on exactly that.
My SUV's tailpipe completely broke off of where it connects to the end of the muffler, after giving way to corroding rust. So apparently, the exhaust is going directly out the end of the muffler underneath the car, instead of away from the bumper.

Question is, can I leave it that way, and drive like that, or will it cause additional harm to myself or the vehicle, i.e. carbon monoxide poisoning leaking from underneath the car, and possibly slithering inside the cracks for me to breathe it ? My state does not require any inspections, so I'm not required to fix it. And I really cannot afford to fix it, either. So, are there any risks to driving around like that ?

Last edited:
Ex I thought you had just bought a new Tacoma...or was that Boone?

I just stick to warranty vehicles cause other than the basics I'd screw something up with the vehicle.

Ex I thought you had just bought a new Tacoma...or was that Boone?

I just stick to warranty vehicles cause other than the basics I'd screw something up with the vehicle.

That was me - loving it too, except the gas mileage :)

That was me - loving it too, except the gas mileage :)

Really...what are you getting with it?I

I'm getting tired of my jeep's mileage too. Basically only 16 in the city so once I get back from this deployment I think i'm gonna go with a Ram 1500, maybe a long horn model. It gets 14 but atleast it's a V8 and has 100 more hp than the Jeep.

Actually, speaking of tailpipes and cars following apart, I have a question on exactly that.
My SUV's tailpipe completely broke off of where it connects to the end of the muffler, after giving way to corroding rust. So apparently, the exhaust is going directly out the end of the muffler underneath the car, instead of away from the bumper.

Question is, can I leave it that way, and drive like that, or will it cause additional harm to myself or the vehicle, i.e. carbon monoxide poisoning leaking from underneath the car, and possibly slithering inside the cracks for me to breathe it ? My state does not require any inspections, so I'm not required to fix it. And I really cannot afford to fix it, either. So, are there any risks to driving around like that ?
Depending on the routing and where the break is, it can be leaking in and cause carbon monoxide poisoning. You'd have no warning either since it's odorless and colorless, so it isn't worth chancing. Breaking was the best thing that could have happened for you as far as a repair goes. It's when they're attached that it's a headache to replace. Just about any auto parts store will have the part you need, and it's a real easy fix.

The first thing you'll wanna do is buy a can of PB Blaster. On the end of the part that is still attached, you should see a U shaped bolt with a nut on each end and maybe a bracket. Spray PB Blaster all over the nuts and let it sit for 30 minutes, then move your car so you won't be sitting in those fumes when you work on it. Remove the two bolts, and use a flathead screwdriver and hammer to knock off the piece that was left behind by the section that broke off, and fit the new part right over it, and remount the bolt and bracket. All total, it's about a 15-20 minute job if all goes right. And the part isn't too expensive either, usually $15-$25 depending on where you get it and what size you need.

As far as my truck goes, I spent the better part of the day pulling out all the hot and ground wires in my engine and running new ones, and replacing all of the connectors to the alternator. And just as I knew it would, nothing changed. So it isn't grounding out anywhere, no fuses are blown, the alternator, battery and serpentine belt are all brand new and tested good, and Sears tested the starter for me and said it's good, and as stated all the wires are new. Yet the battery light remains on, and my battery slowly loses charge throughout the day. Very slowly, but enough to measure and notice on the gauge. I'm at a total loss.

Maybe you've covered this already but couldn't the gauge itself just be bad?

Big surprise, my truck is screwed up again. Well not really screwed up, just having a problem I cannot solve and it's driving me mad. Yesterday when I was driving, my battery light came on. Since in the past, this was always an alternator problem, I took off my alternator to see if anything was visibly wrong with it. There was. The cap that holds the bearing in was missing, and so were the bearings. So I went to get a new alternator.

As I always do because of duds, I had them test the new one before I left the store. It tested perfect. So I put it on, and put on a new serpentine belt, and the light is still on. Since the battery is less than a month old, I was certain that wasn't the issue, but hooked up the charger to it anyway. When I got in the truck after a while, It started right up, ran fine, but the stupid light was still on.

I also have a battery gauge on my dash that is supposed to be in the middle, but it's sitting about halfway between the middle and the low end. I drove it around for over an hour with headlights, A/C and radio on, hoping it would drain and point to a battery problem. The needle on the gauge didn't move a hair, and when I turned it off and waited a while and turned it back on, it still started right up, but the light is still on and the gauge shows the exact same reading.

Since I was at a loss, I figured what the hell, and took the battery to get tested. It tested perfect.

So WTF? The alternator tests perfect and is new. The battery is new and tests perfect as well, and the serpentine belt is new. The battery gauge reads low and the light stays on though, but the battery does not drain, the truck starts right up, and it drives normal. No blown fuses either. I'm at a total loss.

Any ideas?

We use to get a lot of battery lights on with good charging systems. Check your wiring diagram, there's likely a diode in the system that's gone bad. We use to get the replacements from radio shack. It could also be the charging meeter causing the problem, which may have a diode built in.

You run the risk of getting exhaust fumes in the vehicle. Depending on the vehicle, you may get away with it. If ya notice you're a bit more tired after the evening drive home, and your eyes are burning, ya may want to fix it ;)

You run the risk of getting exhaust fumes in the vehicle. Depending on the vehicle, you may get away with it. If ya notice you're a bit more tired after the evening drive home, and your eyes are burning, ya may want to fix it ;)

Thanks...so it will cure my insomnia ? :)
My a/c doesn't work, either. So I drive with my windows down. That probably limits or eliminates breathing of toxic fumes.

We use to get a lot of battery lights on with good charging systems. Check your wiring diagram, there's likely a diode in the system that's gone bad. We use to get the replacements from radio shack. It could also be the charging meeter causing the problem, which may have a diode built in.
Damn, this is why I ask these things - I think you might be on to something. Thanks for the tip.

I drive with my windows down. That probably limits or eliminates breathing of toxic fumes.
Likely neither. Depending on whether it's two or four windows down, and the design of your car, you may actually be creating a vacuum effect that is pulling in more fumes, and just circulating them inside the car.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.