• Welcome to the New BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the new software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you find potential glitches, please report those in the Possible New Site Glitches and Issues thread. If you have questions, post them in the New Site Questions? thread.
  • The 2020 Season will be the last for our little community. Following the final WFT game of the 2020 season, the site will close it's doors. We wanted to give you a little advance notice so that you could retrieve any photos, content, or other material from the site before it became unavailable, so that you could exchange contact info with anyone you may desire, and ensure that folks would forgo any site donations going forward. We have had a blast being your favorite Redskins and WFT watering hole for the past decade. We had a great run and each of you were a part of it. Thanks to all of you for your amazing contributions and camaraderie. You made this a special place.

Examiner: Skins Hankerson unable to catch a break

One of many experimental iterations ...

Goaldeje

The Legend
Reaction score

James Madison

This is not the start receiver Leonard Hankerson envisioned. He's a third-round pick who not only can't get on the field, he can't even get in uniform.

Hankerson hasn't been active through the first four games. Meanwhile, fellow rookie Niles Paul has dressed for all of them.

"Any athlete, any player wants to play or compete," Hankerson said. "It's hard sitting on the sidelines."

And according to receivers coach Keenan McCardell, it's hard learning to be a pro sometimes. At the player-run workouts in the offseason, Hankerson was always one of the last off the field. He spent extra time with quarterback John Beck in San Diego. He often stays after practice to catch more passes, as he did this summer.

But McCardell said it's more than just that.

"When you're practicing golf, you think you're practicing right but you could be practicing bad habits," McCardell said. "Not saying he was, but you have to learn how to go about being a professional. He has great ability. Things will fall in line for him real soon.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/sports/nfl/2011/10/redskins-hankerson-unable-catch-break#ixzz1a6IPUh4b

Lanky Livingston

The Commissioner
Reaction score

Florida Atlantic

I will be surprised if Hank doesn't turn out to be a star in the NFL. I will say I'm surprised he hasn't even dressed yet; probably only still on the active roster b/c he wouldn't make it to the practice squad.

gbear

The Rookie
Reaction score

St. Mary's

Red zone fade target of the future...

I just hope he's the target for a Skins QB.

Neophyte

GM
Staff member
Reaction score

I will be surprised if Hank doesn't turn out to be a star in the NFL. I will say I'm surprised he hasn't even dressed yet; probably only still on the active roster b/c he wouldn't make it to the practice squad.
There are at least 3, and maybe 4, more reliable options ahead of him as a WR and he doesn't play teams. Shoot, he doesn't even block as well as Paul, who might just be the best blocking WR on the roster.

Until the coaches believe in his hands as much or more than than they do those of Armstrong, Stallworth and Austin, he will not dress. Shoot, he might not dress all season.

Of course, I have wondered if they are playing a couple of these guys as much for trade bait as because they have earned a spot ahead of Hankerson. I believe he is in the teams long term plans while a couple of the other guys likely are not and Allen/Shanahan would like to get something out of next year's draft for them.

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score

Then you can always think of Fred Davis. He overslept and came to camp late for his first practice and took some plays off early on, but the team kept him out there and now he is a budding star.

With a first rate quarterback Davis would probably be a pro bowl TE in the NFC with his mix of size and speed.

The trouble with what Shanahan is doing is not that he is having Hankerson 'earn' some playing time.

It is that he has some receivers 'ahead' of him that don't appear to be very productive in their own right.

Is anyone really in love with Anthony Armstrong long-term? He's already 28 and doesn't appear to have much upside over what he has shown so far.

Lanky Livingston

The Commissioner
Reaction score

Florida Atlantic

Neophyte said:
There are at least 3, and maybe 4, more reliable options ahead of him as a WR and he doesn't play teams. Shoot, he doesn't even block as well as Paul, who might just be the best blocking WR on the roster.
For now, yes. His hands have been a little bit sketchy; but Armstrong has had some critical drops, as and Moss had one deflect off his hands into the opposing team's. I think it would be good for Grossman to have a big target he can just "throw the ball up to."

Is anyone really in love with Anthony Armstrong long-term? He's already 28 and doesn't appear to have much upside over what he has shown so far.
I was after last season, but he's regressed this season. Not sure why - maybe its Horton-syndrome.

fansince62

The All-Time Great
Reaction score

Then you can always think of Fred Davis. He overslept and came to camp late for his first practice and took some plays off early on, but the team kept him out there and now he is a budding star.

With a first rate quarterback Davis would probably be a pro bowl TE in the NFC with his mix of size and speed.

The trouble with what Shanahan is doing is not that he is having Hankerson 'earn' some playing time.

It is that he has some receivers 'ahead' of him that don't appear to be very productive in their own right.

as always.....spot on!

redskins26

The Team Captain
Reaction score

Navy

dont want him in there to soon and make him gun shy also fred Davis didnt play much his first season IRC.

Boone

GM
Staff member
Reaction score

Marine Corps Virginia

I don't agree with the premise. Hankerson consistently dropped easy catches all the way through the pre-season. If it weren't for his raw physical talent and draft position, the truth is, he'd probably be a PS player.

It sounds like it's not a work ethic issue. But he'll have to develop better hands if he ever wants to see consistent playing time. Period.

Interesting that a month ago we were all aghast that the Redskins had kept 7 WRs...but beyond Moss we haven't seen anything special from any of them. In fact, we've (arguably) regressed at that position. Armstrong looks like a shadow of his 2010 self so far.

Goaldeje

The Legend
Reaction score

James Madison

I don't agree with the premise. Hankerson consistently dropped easy catches all the way through the pre-season. If it weren't for his raw physical talent and draft position, the truth is, he'd probably be a PS player.

It sounds like it's not a work ethic issue. But he'll have to develop better hands if he ever wants to see consistent playing time. Period.

Interesting that a month ago we were all aghast that the Redskins had kept 7 WRs...but beyond Moss we haven't seen anything special from any of them. In fact, we've (arguably) regressed at that position. Armstrong looks like a shadow of his 2010 self so far.
It's for that very reason I have been surprised we haven't seen more of Austin and even Hankerson. I am thinking as the season progresses, if Armstrong doesn't play up to last season's form fairly quickly, and Stallworth doesn't start contributing, I think we see Hank, Austin and Paul. We have been winning in spite of our WRs not contributing much (Moss aside), so at some point I suspect we pull the plug and go with the youngins.

What will be interesting is balancing that with the fact that we are winning some so far. If we start losing, it makes that decision a lot easier. If we keep winning, the inclination is to stick with what got you there. But at some point if we keep winning but little contributions outside of Moss and Gaffney, I think they go with kids, just rotate them in one at a time to see what they can do.

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Florida State

I agree Goaldeje. And get in there Hank.

First year receivers are coming out of nowhere this season to put up huge games. Like the kid from Baltimore, who just went for 152 yards and 3 tds.

Get him on the field, and let's see if he can provide some lightning.

Goaldeje

The Legend
Reaction score

James Madison

I agree Goaldeje. And get in there Hank.

First year receivers are coming out of nowhere this season to put up huge games. Like the kid from Baltimore, who just went for 152 yards and 3 tds.

Get him on the field, and let's see if he can provide some lightning.
Austin and Paul haven't done much on offense, which has surprised me. Given Stallworth and Banks' lack of production, I have a feeling Hank's turn is coming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Private conversations
Help Users
    You haven't joined any rooms.
    Chat 0