• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Examiner: Redskins' quiet offseason suggests it's all in the family for Mike Shanahan

Lanky Livingston

Interesting take on how the Redskins are handling the cap penalty - by not mortgaging the future, Mike is setting up his son Kyle for a nice run in the future.

We really don't know anything about what goes on at Redskins Park.
We get glimpses here and there, sometimes what the organization wants us to see, other times a sliver here and there of what the Redskins want to hide.
It's sort of like the Kremlin in the high red days or Peking during Mao's time. We are reduced to reading posters or interpreting messages.
Here's my interpretation of what we've seen so far during free agency for the Redskins -- they don't appear to be mortgaging the future to put together the 2013 roster under the harsh restrictions of the $18 million salary cap, the second year of the penalty levied by the NFL for trying to avoid the cap hit of Albert Haynesworth's oozing wound of a contract.

It appears that guys like Santana Moss and Brandon Meriweather are essentially taking pay cuts, while there is no evidence that players with big contracts that take up salary cap space -- like Trent Williams or Pierre Garcon -- are being asked to restructure their deals now to get the team under the salary cap in exchange for piles of cash into the next century.

That was the way of the old regime. That is in large part why the Redskins tried to use the loophole of the 2010 uncapped season to get out of the fiscal prison created by Vinny Cerrato and company.

However, the belief that the Redskins are not mortgaging their future to some extent flies in the face of the reality of a head coach who is entering the fourth year of a five-year deal and, after going 11-21 his first two years, is coming off a 10-win NFC East title season.

Click link for the rest.

You jerk you beat me by 20 minutes ;)

I'm kind of surprised how many people (friends, on twitter, on the radio, Lovero himself) are surprised by this idea. I thought it was pretty much unanimous consensus this was the plan when Mike brought his son in?

Few coaches, much less Kyle, had the clout to say - Hey, you ****ed this up, give me 5 years to fix it then we'll go from there. Mike does. Belichick, Parcells, and a handful of others are the only type of people that can pull this sort of thing off.

That's how screwed up Ass Clown and company made this organization. I'm happy it's being fixed.

As Kevin Shehan always says - Doing it the right way doesn't guarantee winning a super bowl, but it makes your chances a heck of a lot better.

Shanahan tried the old approach in 2010 with the McNabb trade and the deal for Jammal Brown. At least he and Bruce learned from those painful lessons to keep the picks and only add post 30 year old players on short term deals to plug holes, not to take up significant space under the cap.

I don't think so.

When Snyder agreed to the deal for Griffin I think there was a recognition that this was going to take some time.

Few rookie qbs come in as rookies on a 5-11 team and help turn things around that quickly.

I wouldn't say I'm surprised...just seems to go against the whole "Shanahan doesn't care about the future of the franchise" meme that's going on right now after the Griffin injury.

Yeah. I seem to remember most people saying Kyle was being groomed for the job, the most debate seemed to revolve around what Mike's role (if any) would be once the transition occurred.

Of course Greg Williams was supposed to take over after Gibbs and we all know how that went down.

I think Mike had the full 5 years as long as there was progress, which there clearly has been. If he had 4 seasons of 6 or less wins and nothing to look forward to I don't think he'd make it to year 5. Snyder could afford to buy out the last year, I'm not sure about more than that though.

But Williams did things he knew Snyder didn't like and so it wasn't a surprise when that came to light that Gregg was done here.

I think Kyle probably had been better with Snyder and treated him with more respect.

In the end if Griffin becomes that elite qb that Brady and Manning are in this system it will be difficult to send Kyle packing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.