• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Bill PFT: Belichick doesn’t see the point in extra points

China

The Team Captain
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Michigan State
As much as I dislike BB, he's got a point. Moving the extra point kick back to the 20 would add a little intrigue and perhaps more would go for two, assuming you keep the spot for a 2-point conversion at the 2 yard line.

Bill Belichick doesn’t see the point in extra points

Patriots coach Bill Belichick recently caused a stir when he said the NFL wants to eliminate kickoffs. Now Belichick has weighed in on a play that he says would be better suited to elimination: The extra point.

In an interview on WEEI, Belichick pointed out that the point after touchdown is so easy that it rarely creates any interest at all, and he said that if the league isn’t going to make it harder, then the league should just get rid of it.

“Philosophically, plays that are non-plays shouldn’t be in the game,” Belichick said, via Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com. “I don’t think it is good for the game. Extra points, when you’re up to the 99 percent range in extra points it’s not a play. Let’s move the ball back to the 15-20 yard line and not make it a tap in. Make them kick it. Same thing with the kickoff return, if you’re just going to put the ball on the 20, put the ball on the 20.”

Click on the link for the full article

This is so ridiculous! What about the onside kick? That is one of the most thrilling plays in football. Oh wait! That's what they say about the 35 yard line kickoff. :laugh:

While they're at it, do away with the coin toss and just give the ball to the home team. Or keeping your starters in during the 4th quarter when you're up by 50, there's a big non play. Or going for it on 4th down in the first quarter, or during a blowout. Oh, he means non plays that the Patriots don't specialize in.

I'm all about the tradition. It doesn't always have to make sense. Maybe we should go with big ass CFL-style fields too? Leave the game alone men. It's survived just fine for a long time.

The thing about the extra point is if you DO miss it, it suddenly adds all this drama to the game.

"Holy crap! That could come back to haunt them later."

And then you wait all game for the haunting to begin, even if the score is like 34-7. It's like drinking a huge cup of bad mojo.

I'm fine keeping it the way it is. And if it honks of ol' Bill, well, so much the better. :)

I hate the fact that by constantly changing rules, you're making team and player's historical stats less and less relevant by comparison. A player's "record stats" mean less, in relation to other historical stats, if it was influenced by a rule change.

I see what you're saying, and I agree for the most part, other than the fact that to have accurate stats, we'd have to go back to 12 game seasons. F that :laugh:

Seemed like a ton of kickoffs were taken to the house this week; guess the new rule didn't have as big as an affect as people thought?

Seemed like a ton of kickoffs were taken to the house this week; guess the new rule didn't have as big as an affect as people thought?

Maybe they took it as a challenge, Lanky. LOL1

Actually, after having watched some of these admittedly spectular runbacks and, also admittedly going only on my personal visual impressions, one thing I notice on both kickoffs and punts if the kick allows the coverage to get downfield fast enough and there's no fair catch signal the one receiving the kick isn't able to get up a head of steam and has barely started to move or even get the ball held comfortably and securely enough to be able to run, maneuver, elude would-be tacklers and such. The runbacks I've seen especially on kickoffs going into the end zone don't allow the coverage units time enough to get in the receivers face and the ones I've seen coming out of the end zone are doing so under a full head of steam, at full gallop and thus able to change direction quickly and evade tacklers better than they would be coming from a dead stop. I have no real idea if this is what's actually happenning but it just is a first impression I have.

We should eliminate the 4rth down punt no matter what happens where the ball ends up is where the other team takes over.

J/K

We should eliminate the 4rth down punt no matter what happens where the ball ends up is where the other team takes over.

J/K
I saw the J/K, but I have actually been an advocate of banning punts for years. Make em play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.