• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

BGO Computer Pros: How Do I Permanently Get Rid Of This Program Attacking My PC?

Nobody

Super Bowl MVP
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
I complained to Boone recently that every time I got on BGO, it seemed bogged down, slow as hell to load, etc. He informed me it was likely on my end, so I downloaded every recommended program to find the source of the problem. I ran Spybot, Ad Aware, Super AntiSpyware, and Malwarebytes. Every program returned the same problem. Apparently, I had something on my system listed as WhenU.funplayer.

I removed the offending problem, and the issues went away. Then I noticed something very strange. It will go away completely, until I post on BGO. I have very basic understanding of computers, so I don't even know how or if this is possible, but every time I have removed the program, the problem is solved until I post here. Could just be coincidental, I have no idea. Like I said, my knowledge on these issues is basic.

After googling this problem, I have found several ways to remove it, but nothing has kept it from repeatedly coming back. Is it possible to prevent further attacks from this? Even though these programs I am using to remove claim to have removed it, is it possible they are not doing so?

I learned from a group on facebook that I was a member of a while back, that it is possible to target people through a webpage, but I'm not sure if this is what has caused this problem. Obviously if I am the only one having this problem, it is completely coincidental. At first, I thought the program came from one of the game sites my kids play on, but I have kept them both off of the computer for the past few days, and it continues to resurface. Any help in getting rid of this will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Apparently the source of the problem is a site called popcap. I checked it out, and it's a game site with known attacks on users. Since the only games I play are on here, is it possible to have come from one of the games in the arcade? Just curious, because I am not aware if any of those games is a popcap game. My kids only play PBS and Disney games, and tests on both have come back clean.

Last edited:
Try running a LiveCD of Ubuntu, or any other Linus distro, and see if the slow down still exists. The only other way to completely rid yourself of the problem is to reformat and start again from scratch.

Since I've been running Ubuntu (6.04), I've never had any problem with unwanted software installing itself without my knowledge. In fact, I've never had any of the problems I had when I was running Windows; I don't even run anti-virus software and haven't for quite some time.

Hey Extreme, I am skeptical you could have gotten a virus or trojan or other malware from playing our games. The games are simple 'tar' format files, and you're not downloading anything when you play one. It's hosted on our server. Now if you go out to a game's creator's website, can't guarantee that wouldn't cause you a problem or expose you to malware. There are a lot of nasty malware types out there that hide files on your pc and reinstall them even if you clean them off.

We haven't had any other complaints of this nature, so I'm guessing it's not BGO-related.

It must be that 'secret' pron site you don't visit!

You say it's NOT the sites your kids play games at, but do you watch them every second they are on the computer? Is the computer connected to the internet when they play these games?

Did the removal process include doing so from the recovery console? Did you remove it from the registry? What about system restore; did you disable that BEFORE attempting to remove it?

From my W98 days, I learned that the best way to 100% guarantee the removal of an unwanted file was to reformat. As I saved everything important to an external storage device at least once a week, for me to reformat wasn't a huge task; a pita, but nothing huge. However, if you haven't backed up in a while ..........

It must be that 'secret' pron site you don't visit!

You say it's NOT the sites your kids play games at, but do you watch them every second they are on the computer? Is the computer connected to the internet when they play these games?
They have both been grounded from the computer since it first happened, while I attempted to find the source. Since I am unemployed, and they are both in school, and there is a browser history, I am certain they haven't used it. Not only that, but I have temporarily blocked all of their game sites.

This WhenU.FunPlayer thing is apparently attached to some sort of virus, because all of my go to tricks that have worked on severely malicious content in the past have not worked. Even when I delete the offending items, it all pops up again within a few hours. I even deleted every new program that had been added in the past 3 months, did a full disk wipe, then did a full system recovery. For a full day, the problem was solved. Then when I posted here, it froze, bogged down, I did a scan, and it was back.

Like I stated earlier, I am not saying it is from BGO. I was simply asking, because it seems like it has attacked my system only when I post a thread or response on here. I asked if it was possible that something here was the source, because I don't know enough about viruses and malware to know how they work. I just know the last time something happened like this was from a script someone had installed on a group I had joined on facebook, so I know it is possible for someone who is knowledgeable enough to attach something, I'm just not sure if it's possible to do it for a specific person on a site, or a whole site or whatever.

As far as computers go, I know a whole lot more about them than your average user, but nowhere near as much as people who consider themselves computer savvy.

Did the removal process include doing so from the recovery console? Did you remove it from the registry? What about system restore; did you disable that BEFORE attempting to remove it?
The first thing I did was manually remove all the parameters from the registry and the system folders. I removed anything listed as a Browser Helper Object, and I deleted just about anything that wasn't required for my system to run. I ran disk redactor, ccleaner, and all of the adware/spyware/malware programs I listed earlier. I never set restore points, and have system restore off at all times, because that's how a virus destroyed my old system years ago.

Like I said, I'm not computer retarded, and I have dealt with some malicious little ****s before, but this thing seems to be pretty complex. I even did rootkit scans, and they came back negative. There is no trace of this program anywhere, then seemingly at will it will kick me in the nuts and be all over the place again.

I've always been so protective over my PC that I even have error messages blocked, since a new technique popped up a few years go to screw people who instinctively press the cancel button on the error message, and unwittingly install malware as a result. My PC is like a penis inside a condom, covered in duct tape and dipped in kryptonite, wrapped in another condom and flanked by electric fences in all directions. For this thing to get on my PC, it took some serious talent by a ****ed up and bored little loser living in his mom's basement pretending to be a 14 year old girl online.

From my W98 days, I learned that the best way to 100% guarantee the removal of an unwanted file was to reformat.
99.9% apparently :(

As I saved everything important to an external storage device at least once a week, for me to reformat wasn't a huge task; a pita, but nothing huge. However, if you haven't backed up in a while ..........
I don't save anything non essential to my computer ever. I lost too much stuff in the past to take the risk.

You did a full disc wipe (?), then a system recovery? If you were able to do that, you haven't done a full disc wipe. A proper reformat means you will wipe EVERYTHING from your HDD, basically returning it like it was new; no partitions, no data, nothing. Most, if not all, virus files will find a way to put themselves in the recovery partition, so unless you turn off system recovery BEFORE trying to get rid of the virus, the next time you start system recovery, you will just put the virus back where it came from. Read the How-To of your anti-virus software and turning off system restore should be the first point.

Anyways, this is a Windows problem, so I am out of the loop with any of this. I just resorted back to memory on when I used to run Windows, and that was some 5 years ago.

You did a full disc wipe (?), then a system recovery? If you were able to do that, you haven't done a full disc wipe.
Yes I did, I have a system recovery disk with all the factory installed programs on it. I don't use the computer installed restore system, I have the actual disk and start from scratch.

The fact that after that everything still comes back tells me there has to be a script running somewhere with the virus. I don't know of any other way possible to keep getting it without downloading or opening any files or emails or anything else.

A proper reformat means you will wipe EVERYTHING from your HDD, basically returning it like it was new; no partitions, no data, nothing. Most, if not all, virus files will find a way to put themselves in the recovery partition, so unless you turn off system recovery BEFORE trying to get rid of the virus, the next time you start system recovery, you will just put the virus back where it came from. Read the How-To of your anti-virus software and turning off system restore should be the first point.
I explained this point in my last post, I don't use system restore ever. When I get a new computer, it's the first thing I disable. I don't need to read a how to ;)

Anyways, this is a Windows problem, so I am out of the loop with any of this. I just resorted back to memory on when I used to run Windows, and that was some 5 years ago.
Is this a ploy to sell me on mac? You can't make me go :laugh:

In all seriousness, I will never switch.

Why would I try to sell you a Mac when I run Ubuntu perfectly all day, every day? The only Windows I now have in my house are those glass things that allow me to look outside.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit. Compatible with everything, easy to use, and does everything I need it to. The best part is, I don't have to learn anything new, I don't have to buy a new graphics card (mine is not compatible with Ubuntu) and I don't have to download new programs to make my current programs run. I think I'll stick with what I've got. You like yours, I like mine, and that's all that matters. :D

You do have me curious now. Damn you :laugh:

I'm ignorant as to how it really works though. Where would the files on my system go if I got Ubuntu and got rid of Windows? Is there anything you have compatibility issues with? (big or small)

The biggest drawback I've seen from reading through reviews on it is that you have to update it every 6 months, and it's not as easy as Windows to find self help for if something does go wrong. I will freely admit that my biggest issue is that I hate having to learn new software/browsers/anything computer related. I mean hell, I just got around to finally switching from IE to Firefox last year.

From what I've seen, it looks too much like the setup Apple has, and I despise everything about the Apple setup. If there's no way to change that, I will never switch.

Nevermind, after reading this on a review site, I have no interest :laugh:

After having used linux for 2 years exclusively , here are my thoughts on the topics.

Control:
Too much control in linux. There are too many different versions of linux that all do about the same thing with only slight tweaks. As for software, forget it. Only a couple pieces of software are actually worth downloading. The rest are buggy , half finished and crap. Then you get some pinhead that will take that buggy peice of crap, tweak it slightly and release it as something else. "New and slightly improved". Opensource is a joke, at best it kinda works. For pay software is years ahead . Look at video editing on linux. Right now the most STABLE video editors look and act like moviemaker from 2003. Don't even get me started on the bugs in kdenlive, sony vegas blows it out of the water.

Cost:
It's free, and it doesn't always work. You couldn't charge for linux because NO ONE would buy it. "Hey guys, here's this operating system that kinda does what you want, sometimes."

Fun:
Linux is a pain in the ass. Getting anything configured takes twice as long than in windows. If you're using xubuntu for examply and you want a second HD mounted and accessably , you have to go into the terminal and mount it yourself. WOW. Just exactly what you want in an operating system, an OS that doesn't do anything. How fun. Oh, and if you want to play games that look like they came from 1995 then linux is the place to be. It's not entirely linux's fault , I mean its the manufacture's fault, right? Why wouldn't someone want to invest money into making a video game for a community that is going to demand the sourcecode so they can rip you off and put out free versions of the game you have the nerve to charge for. That is absurd!

Learning:
Oh you're going to have to learn how to use linux. Too many times you'll need to crack open the terminal JUST TO INSTALL SOFTWARE. Because you'll need to add repos, or compile a driver, or do a decent screenrecording for a tutorial video (ffmpeg, because all other options suck). Forget using the GUI, Linux has come a long way but it's been out for 20yrs and has no intention of being anything but a hobby operating system.

Diversity:
There are tons of linux distributions out there, but they can all be boiled down to debian or redhat based distros. That's it. They will only vary on the gui, the included aps and file manager. Plus, you get to look forward to new OS releases every 6months to a year. Now , don't expect any bug fixes in those releases. The freebie junkies don't have time to actually FIX anything, they want new features. So, you end up with some new features that may or maynot break the old ones and bugs that have been around for YEARS. If any company ran a business like this they would be out of business.

Security/Viruses:
Right now, no one cares about linux. But if android has shown us anything it is that if there is an increase in market share then someone will target you for viruses. Windows has a huge target on its back. Once linux gains ground in the desktop market, the viruses will be there. It is possible to hack a linux computer and gain root access, don't delude yourself.

Software/ease of use/ stability/drivers:
Microsoft/Mac beat linux hands down

Startup:
With all the other problems this operating system has, who cares?

I like linux, I love the idea of opensource. But the opensource community needs to get its head out of its ass and start behaving less like nerds who tinker and more like a corporation with customers. Thank goodness Canonical is making an attempt, but who knows when they are going to pull a RedHat and give up on the linux desktop entirely. The issues linux has right now with subpar software, bugs not being fixed, ease of use, stability are not acceptable. No one would want to use this product if if the community was honest about its problems. Instead its all "hey use linux, its free and works just like windows".

Last edited:
That quote is obviously written by a Windows person, quite possibly by someone on the payroll at Redmond. Linux could mean any number of distro's. If you expect Linux to be just like Windows, then you will have problems. I am curious at to when it was actually written, as opposed to first published. Some of the comments relate to issues that were 2-3 years ago.

My distro is Ubuntu, which, according to all reports, is the closest to Windows in ease of use. Yes, there is a new release every 6 months, but no, you don't have to upgrade everytime a release becomes available. You can go with the LTS (long term support) version which doesn't change majorly for three years. The next LTS will be 12.10 (2012, Oct) release. I upgrade with every new release so I couldn't tell you when the previous LTS release was.

Did you know that you can run Windows and Ubuntu on the same HDD? You'll need to partition your HDD to allow it, but with WUBI, you can even install UBUNTU as a Windows program, but still run it as an Ubuntu install. You will need the LiveCD to make the initial installation, but that is what I did when I first got this laptop, just to test to see if everything was compatible. After about a month, I then wiped Windows completely, and now have two versions of Ubuntu installed; 10.04 as a back-up in case of a kernel panic, and 11.10 as my everyday o/s.

As I'm not a pc gamer (that is what a console is for!), that side of the equation doesn't factor in, but I am still able to download a movie (.flv, .avi, .mkv, .mp4, etc, etc), convert it to DVD, then burn it and have the finished product play in a stand-alone player.

I am able to edit / manipulate all my photos without the expense of Photoshop.

LibreOffice has the ability to open and edit MSOffice files, whereas MSOffice doesn't even recognise LibreOffice files. (LibreOffice is the official replacement of OpenOffice).

I can play my music, watch video's, surf the web, read my emails just like any Windows pc, but with different (and free) programs. Thunderbird is compatible with both, so if you are using T/B with Windows, you won't notice any diiference when running it with Ubuntu.

Connectivity was a sinch. WiFi works perfectly. Bluetooth is flawless. I connect the laptop to my 42inch LCD TV when I'm skyping with family interstate. I even do that in HD!

I could post something that says the same thing about Windows, but I won't as there are far too many to pick just one, but I did have to think about making the change, but when I did, it was the best computer related decision I ever made.

I won't go back to Windows, even if I was paid. I just couldn't go back to having my computer phone home every time I turned it on just to make sure my software was legit. No such problem with open source. I just turn my laptop on, and in less than 2 minutes I am online and downloading emails. This even before the microwave has dinged to signal that my (milk) coffee is ready (which I set to 'cook' for 2mins34secs).

I got in to a similar discussion over at ES, and as I was being outnumbered, I backed away, but there were / are still posts similar to yours, and the OP. Those at ES who run Linux / Ubuntu just sit back and laugh.

BTW, did you know that the servers used by Microsoft run on Linux? Why, because they are reliable and secure. When was the last time you read that a Windows server had crashed?

I'm not trying to dog it, just sharing something I read about it. I can pull similar complaints from many sites, they were all over the place. From what I read, more than half of the people that tried Ubuntu hated it, and most of the remaining responses were that it was just ok, but nowhere near as user friendly as Windows.

My biggest concern was when I read everywhere that there are a lot of problems with drivers with Ubuntu. The other big complaint seemed to be that installing an application isn't as easy as point and click like on Windows. Just about everywhere I read up on it, the most common complaint was that while some people thought Ubuntu was decent setup, it was an OS that doesn't really do anything on its own. I'm lazy when it comes to computers, I cringe at the thought of going back to the days where I had to manually do every little thing. It just sounded to me like Ubuntu is stuck in 1995.

The main thing making me curious at this point, is the unbelievable amount of space you save with Ubuntu compared to Windows 7 Ultimate. I read that Ubuntu took up somewhere around 200MB, while Windows 7 Ultimate was around 1.5GB. I haven' been able to verify that from anything other than claims people are making, but if true, that's pretty significant.

As for your last part, Microsoft uses Akamai. Akamai uses Linux. And only 60% of their servers do, not all of them. They don't use it directly. Although I guess it doesn't really matter in the long run. It just seems like making that claim would be like saying every program Linux uses is a Microsoft program, since Windows was used in the creation of most of it.

Last edited:
If you're lazy when it comes to computers, best stick with what you already have. Nowadays, installing programs in Ubuntu is as easy as opening the Software Centre, scrolling through the list of programs available, clicking on what you want, waiting for the program to install, then use it (no, you don't have to reboot your computer). If you don't like it, or isn't what you want, just uninstall it and try the next one.

The quote mentions bug fixes. Of course, bug fixes aren't usually released with each new release because bug fixes are released as soon as they become available. No waiting for Microsoft's patented Update Tuesday!

The 'foot print' of Ubuntu is a lot smaller than W7. In fact, you could burn the .iso of Ubuntu on to a CD, and still have space left on the disc. Try that with W7! Once installed, you can choose to keep the default programs (Firefox, Thunderbird, GIMP, LibreOffice, etc.), or you can uninstall them and download something different. You prefer Chrome or Safari, that's can be downloaded. Evolution instead of Thunderbird, yep! In fact, there are hundreds of different programs to choose from, and all available for free from the (default) Software Centre. You want to try a Windows based program? Pay the dollars, take it home, install it (there goes most of your day), set it up, only to find it isn't what you want? Now what? Can you return it?

I find that the biggest problem is that Windows 'homers' aren't prepared to accept that other than Mac, there is something different, in some instances better, in others worse, than an operating system that isn't Windows. I had NFI about terminals and command lines and compiling of programs, etc, etc, when I started with Ubuntu, but over the years, I have learnt more, and Ubuntu has become a lot easier (Windows user friendier) now than back in 2006. If you are really interested in giving it a go, I'll point you in the right direction for the appropriate system, and also to where you can find all the help you might need from a Ubuntu community that more often than not goes out of it's way to provide the answers you need.

If you're lazy when it comes to computers, best stick with what you already have. Nowadays, installing programs in Ubuntu is as easy as opening the Software Centre, scrolling through the list of programs available, clicking on what you want, waiting for the program to install, then use it (no, you don't have to reboot your computer). If you don't like it, or isn't what you want, just uninstall it and try the next one.
I guess lazy isn't the best description.It's more along the lines of I don't like jumping through hoops to install a program, when on Windows I just click a download button, then it auto runs after completion and installs itself. I guess I've been spoiled by simplicity.

The quote mentions bug fixes. Of course, bug fixes aren't usually released with each new release because bug fixes are released as soon as they become available. No waiting for Microsoft's patented Update Tuesday!
So what if an update never becomes available? I have read pages upon pages of programs that Ubuntu will have available that are half finished or full of bugs, and when people complain, the program is slightly tweaked and re-released under a different name, with most of the same problems still there.

You want to try a Windows based program? Pay the dollars, take it home, install it (there goes most of your day), set it up, only to find it isn't what you want? Now what? Can you return it?
That's why The Pirate Bay exists ;)

I find that the biggest problem is that Windows 'homers' aren't prepared to accept that other than Mac, there is something different, in some instances better, in others worse, than an operating system that isn't Windows.
I just worry about getting stuck with the headache I got from Mac. Everyone hyped the hell out of it and told me to switch. I finally caved, gave it a go for a few months, and the more I learned it, the more I hated it. I went back to PC, and Mac is why I am weary of trying something new. No offense to you, but you have the same responses that the Mac fanboys have about Mac being better, and in my opinion it is inferior. Not saying that's the case with Ubuntu, but the fact nobody else is chiming in has me somewhat concerned.

If you are really interested in giving it a go, I'll point you in the right direction for the appropriate system, and also to where you can find all the help you might need from a Ubuntu community that more often than not goes out of it's way to provide the answers you need.
I'm definitely curious about it, and would appreciate any advice or direction on it while I continue researching it.

One thing about Android - that is a good system/phone. Could care less about Linux.

I'm going to make some Android apps in the coming year. Some apps for Nokia platforms as well. iPhone apps? Nah, too saturated.

Good luck with the 'puter. Make sure to do full backups every week on an external. I have a Western Digital external and it came in handy back in August. Had a nasty virus (probably came from Om - he's sneaky like that :) ) and had to dump everything and start over. After loading everything from the external, I was up and running in less than three hours. It was like it never happened.

Ex, we'll just keep going around in circles. In your instance, it's a case of once bitten twice shy, so you would prefer to stay with what you know. Me, I'm over trying to convert people; so over it that I no longer fix Windows machines. That means I have a lot of free time on my hands.

before you nuke your system....

1) remove all cookies...if that fails

2) reinstall the browser....they're usually free and can be found running a search on google

btw...should one visit a site such as packetstormsecurity.org he/she would be introduced to plenty of Unix/Linux security bulletins. I agree with most of SA's comments...but not the assurance he ascribes to Unix/Linux. it can be hacked. afterall.....it is ultimately the same users prone to social engineering attacks using both OSs for the most part! for my part...MS actually has improved its security remarkably over the last several years...but the *amn system is so large and complex it is still an accident waiting to happen. the folks at MS basically made a decision not to take advantage of all the security capabilities x86 chips provide for memory management...so you get what you get!

I'll just remain a Mac "fanboy" and continue reading about viruses, malware, and all of the hoops you do have to jump through to enjoy those MS operating systems.

I love the people who consistently claim there are no viruses or any other problems on Mac. You say that like it has anything to do with the security of Macs, and nothing to do with the fact that Macs aren't targeted right now because the group of people who own them is practically nothing compared to PC owners.

This is why i fully encourage people to keep flocking in droves to Macs. In the not too distant future, macs will gain a big chunk of the market, and hackers will turn their focus to those systems, and you'll all be screwed. And I will sit here laughing my ass off at all the misinformed who think they have no viruses because they're so safe and secure.

It's nothing to do with security, and everything to do with not having enough users to be worth the trouble.

It's nothing to do with security, and everything to do with not having enough users to be worth the trouble.

Ex...it's a couple other things:

- Apple servers aren't very good so they aren't high volume (i.e., there isn't a sizable Apple infrastructure to attack in the corporate world)

- culture. Look at the OWS crowd! MAC lovers haven't fully absorbed the full measure of Steve Jobs qua businessman. He was as cut throat as the next guy. But they love the counter-culture myth that surrounds Apple.

btw....I have several machines....including a MAC. Love my MAC!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.