• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Anyone Remember Howard Green?

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score
The 32 year old 360 pound NT who was released by the Redskins in order to keep Kemoeatu and Bryant for 2010 is now in the starting rotation of DL for the Packers in the postseason.

I guess their version of the 3-4 is better suited to his talent? :)

Amazing how guys we jettison without a thought like Green or Ryan Clark, are still playing football as regular contributors on teams that could win the Super Bowl.

Well you know, cardiovascular endurance is key to the position. ;)

OTOH, your argument would apply equally as well to Shaun Suisham. Just sayin'. :anonymous:

Yusuf, Suisham might just be the key to the Jets playing in the SB too. :rolleyes:

another example of why I am not bullish on this staffs ability to judge talent and implement the 3-4. Green is far from perfect but he is solid and was our best option at NT I thought. I wasnt aware we released him I thought he was injured.

Yusuf, Suisham might just be the key to the Jets playing in the SB too. :rolleyes:
That's actually how I meant it Serv, I just didn't do as good a job with the sarcasm as you. Dagnabbit! :kick_can:

I hope it's posturing by Bruce Allen, but his comment about potentially bringing back Albert Haynesworth in 2011 to the Redskins had me shaking my head in disbelief. Unless we are moving back to a 4-3, I don't see how this can even be a consideration.

Last edited:
I hope it's posturing by Bruce Allen, but his comment about potentially bringing back Albert Haynesworth in 2011 to the Redskins had me shaking my head in disbelief. Unless we are moving back to a 4-3, I don't see how this can even be a consideration.

I'm pretty sure he's trying to give the Redskins the best bargaining position possible. If we seem open to having him come back, we're less likely to take garbage in return for him.

Unfortunately, the Redskins don't seem to have much leverage now in re trades for McNabb or Haynesworth. Both players' value has been run down as the result of the disagreements at Redskins Park over their performances.

With Haynesworth it has always been about what's between his ears and not what he can do on the football field in terms of physical ability.

But if like Randy Moss he decides he doesn't want to play (see his 3 years in Oakland), then he is an albatross around your neck that is better traded for a pick to avoid the grief.

I am really surprised by what Shanahan and Allen did here in Year 1 with Albert and with McNabb.

Most new coaches and GMs want to clear the decks of ongoing distractions they have inherited.

Also, when they see a team has a number of key holes they rarely go out and trade multiple picks for a player on the wrong side of 30.

But these guys worked differently in 2010.

Unfortunately, 2010 to me is a 50% wash as a result.

We developed Anthony Armstrong and Shanahan brought in Ryan Torain at RB. We drafted Trent Williams and moved Landry to his natural position, a move that was long overdue.

Other than these things, I don't see a whole lot of positives coming out of 2010.

Suffering through 6-10 and finishing in the cellar once again, you would hope for more positive changes.

Without the McNabb trade we probably could have finished 5-11 or 6-10 with Grossman as the quarterback.

With that pick at #37 the Redskins and not the Eagles could have filled the FS position with Nate Allen or made a move to shore up the situation at OG or DT.

These are opportunities missed.

Howard is going to the Super Bowl. So are Ryan Clark and ARE.

Clark is an okay player on a solid defense. He does the same things he did while here, which were covered up by Sean Taylor - in Pittsburgh they are covered up by Polamalu (or not, as seen in the Jets long TD pass to Holmes). He still gets bowled over by RBs half the time (he was posterized by someone, I forget who though - but it was eerily similar to him being posterized by LT in 2005). Yes, he's going to the superbowl, but its by no means BECAUSE of his play. He's got an all-world safety and one of the best front-7s in the game in front of him, and two solid corners on the outside.

ARE is still ARE.

And Green is 3rd on the depth chart at NT, and second on the chart at RDE. He was signed as a replacement for Cullen Jenkins who was injured. Yes, he's still on the team, but he's not out there dominating or anything - lets not make this bigger than it is.

Well, Green did play some significant snaps in the first two playoff games against the Eagles and the Falcons.

All I am trying to emphasize here is that the Packers have one of the best 3-4 defenses in the NFL and they seemingly can find a place for a guy the Redskins decided wasn't one of our best 53 players.

Meanwhile, we are going with the one-handed Maake Kemoeatu and Anthony Bryant at NT for the entire season in a 3-4 where offenses consistently are able to penetrate the interior DL.

Clark is not a pro bowler. But he is a very good cover safety. Polamalu is the hitter in the Steelers' secondary but don't underestimate the solid play of Clark. He is one of those players who comes with 110% effort each week and over the course of 16 games makes a number of big plays.

ARE is ARE. He fumbled his way around on punts so far in the playoffs for Pittsburgh and he seems to be on the roster as much out of what he did in 2005 for the team as for what he brings in 2010-2011.

But the Redskins could have used both Green and Clark this past season.

Well, Green did play some significant snaps in the first two playoff games against the Eagles and the Falcons.

All I am trying to emphasize here is that the Packers have one of the best 3-4 defenses in the NFL and they seemingly can find a place for a guy the Redskins decided wasn't one of our best 53 players.

Good point. I think they were maybe counting on Kemoeatu getting even healthier in 2011? I dunno...

Kemoeatu I think is done.

He has the achilles heel injury from which he never really recovered 100% and now is slated to undergo shoulder surgery and rehab.

At 32, I think the Redskins need to go in a different and younger direction at DT for next season.

Kemoeatu I think is done.

He has the achilles heel injury from which he never really recovered 100% and now is slated to undergo shoulder surgery and rehab.

At 32, I think the Redskins need to go in a different and younger direction at DT for next season.

its too bad I was hoping he would recover, not everyone does and having 2 major injuries means he is most likely done.

Regarding Kemoeatu, the optimist in me wants to believe that in the 2nd year after the achilles injury he'll show significant improvement. If that happens he could be a solid rotational guy. However the realist in me says that the shoulder injury may mean Bulldog's doppelgänger is correct and he is in fact done.

Either way, now that there isn't really a worthy QB prospect for us at #10, my top priority for this offseason remains NT. That doesn't mean that we have to draft one first, but I'll consider this offseason an abject failure if we don't somehow get a legit starting NT as it's the lynchpin of the 3-4.

the fact remains that the 3-4 is based on having a NT and two outside linebackers that can rush the passer and be athletic in space.

the Redskins only have one of the three right now.

and the options at ROLB and NT that are on the roster are completely unappealing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.