• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

any tea drinkers here?

tshile

My wife is getting into tea, and honestly so am I. It's quite enjoyable to select the tea, steep it, and drink it in the afternoon after working all day.

Her birthday is coming up in ~2 weeks and I'd like to get her a few things. I'm curious what kind of stuff someone here might recommend to a new person drinking tea as a gift - obviously I can buy her a tea ball, but I think she'd like something a little more gift-like ;)

One thing I'm looking at, but can't find much selection on, is a tea chest that holds tea tins as opposed to just tea bags. I'd like the tins to have some way of viewing the contents.

Something like this, but maybe a little nicer box:
http://www.englishteastore.com/loos..._content=pla&gclid=CKnj1rzT9LUCFQ6EnQodwDYA0g

I really like this, but as far as I can tell the tins have no way of identifying the inside contents which take away from it (for me):
http://www.teavana.com/tea-products/tea-storage-tins/p/mappa-burl-tea-chest

If anyone has any suggestions in terms of good sites to use to buy, or specific items in general are I'd appreciate it :)

Tea is awesome.

Here you go.....

http://www.republicoftea.com/

http://www.teaforte.com/store/tea-gifts/

http://www.teavana.com/tea-products/tea-gifts

Surprisingly, one of the best tasting teas you can get is one made by Lipton, it's just really hard to find. It's been so long since I've been able to find it that I can't remember the exact name, but it comes in pyramid shaped bags, and has orange peel, whole leaf teas and a few other things in it. If you can find it, get it. It has more flavor than anything I've tried, including teas my father in law has brought us from overseas for $100 a tin.

Edit: this stuff.......[media]http://ozbo.com/media/g/21084CL.jpg[/media]

Also, if you're ever in Suffolk, you can buy whole leaf tea in season fresh out of the farms. I usually pick up a few pounds of it when they have it.

I've tried to get into green tea for the health benefits...I never stick with it though. Also, I love coffee too much.

You should try black tea lanky, it can be as strong as your favorite coffee with a much longer energetic boost and less of the crash.

I'm not sold on it yet, but who knows maybe one day I will be.

You should try black tea lanky, it can be as strong as your favorite coffee with a much longer energetic boost and less of the crash.

I'm not sold on it yet, but who knows maybe one day I will be.
Black tea is horrible for you compared to other teas. Like any other tea, it has its good qualities, but among the negative points are it's been linked to hardening of the arteries, and it's excessively processed in comparison to other teas. The good just doesn't outweigh the bad.

edit: apparently it has that effect on men only, and has the opposite effect on women wtf? It also increase the risk of prostate cancer by 50% when drinking regularly, and contains high levels of fluoride and aluminum, which build up in the body when ingested and can cause kidney stones. Fun.

But if you trust WebMD (I'm not sure anyone does since it tells you every symptom you have is cancer) all tea is wonderful for you, **** science :laugh:

Black tea is what gives you an energy boost, like coffee. All the different tea's have different purposes, blacks is energy not health I believe?

But I think you have black tea and it's links to artery issues backwards?

"A 2001 Boston University study concluded that short and long-term black tea consumption reverses endothelial vasomotor dysfunction in patients with coronary artery disease. This finding may partly explain the association between tea intake and decreased cardiovascular disease events.[9]

In 2006, a German study concluded that the addition of milk prevents vascular protective effects of tea.[10]
"

Black tea is what gives you an energy boost, like coffee. All the different tea's have different purposes, blacks is energy not health I believe?

But I think you have black tea and it's links to artery issues backwards?

"A 2001 Boston University study concluded that short and long-term black tea consumption reverses endothelial vasomotor dysfunction in patients with coronary artery disease. This finding may partly explain the association between tea intake and decreased cardiovascular disease events.[9]

In 2006, a German study concluded that the addition of milk prevents vascular protective effects of tea.[10]
"
Damn, I was confused and noticed I thought about more than what I actually typed. Let me clarify.......

According to studies, people who have hypertension (31% of the population) are at increased risk of negative effects from drinking black tea. Due to the higher caffeine content, it causes an increase in blood pressure, which has been linked to hardening of the arteries, irregular heartbeat and excessive sweating.

I'm reading this off the hypertension pamphlet from my doctor that he insists on giving me every single time I go for a checkup :laugh: Not sure who did the studies though it has no info on it.

Keep in mind, when you factor in undiagnosed hypertension, that 31% could go way up.

White tea is supposedly like a super awesome version of green tea healthwise, but it has no taste. If you like tea, you probably wouldn't like white tea. Except the Arizona white tea with blueberries, that's pretty good.

Yeah I can't speak to health issues and different kinds of tea. I got the 2 minute rundown on it all last night and that's about it. Like always I went ultra-obsessive-compulsive and am now looking at hundred dollar tea sets to buy my wife.

They say admitting you have a problem is the first step to fixing it. I don't think that's quite true.

Anyways, I thought white tea was like herbal tea - ie: tea made from something not a tea plant, and called tea because it's dissolved in hot water like tea but otherwise bares no resemblance to tea?

edit: good lord I spelled tea as tae every single time. wtf is wrong with me.

It's actual tea. I think what distinguishes it is the fact they intentionally pick it way before it's ready. I could be wrong about the details, but it is tea.

I'm just gonna hang out here for a while to see if there are any opportunities for me to make a Tea-Bag joke.

It's actual tea. I think what distinguishes it is the fact they intentionally pick it way before it's ready. I could be wrong about the details, but it is tea.

duh, you're right, sorry now that you say that I remember being told that :)

herbal tea is the 'not really tea tea' that I was thinking of.

I like Pu -erh tea.

I don't drink a lot of tea.

My wife, however, is a tea fiend.

Wow i must be waaaaay behind the times and old fashioned cause i like the plain old lipton cold brew with sugar.

Wow i must be waaaaay behind the times and old fashioned cause i like the plain old lipton cold brew with sugar.
Absolutely. This is still a staple in my house. You will never find this family without a box of Lipton. When I go to restaurants that serve Tetley, Nestea, Luzianne, etc. I can't even drink it. Especially Nestea, that stuff is terrible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.