• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Another Former Redskins QB Takes a Pot-Shot at RG3

Lanky Livingston

DC Sports Bog: Tony Banks thinks RG3 is 'almost a little too cocky.'

On the list of “people accusing Robert Griffin III of possible excessive cockiness” this week, I would have put Tony Banks somewhere after David Stern, Jurgen Klinsmann, Texas A&M fans, Spelling Bee contestants and Anze Kopitar.

Just didn’t see it coming. But when ESPN 980 has Redskins players from every era on its daily Skins at 1 segment, eventually someone will say something unexpected. Wednesday, that someone was Banks.

After much talk about his role in the 8-8 Marty Schottenheimer campaign in 2001, Banks was asked about RGIII by Sports Fix host Thom Loverro.

“I think he’s a very naturally skilled athlete,” Banks said. “I think him and Andrew Luck have some differences. I think they both have high football IQs, but to me, RGIII is a little more of a natural athlete and a natural passer, meaning the ball comes out of his hand a little smoother than Andrew Luck.”

So far so good, right?

“So I think RGIII has a little more natural ability when it comes to that part of his game, but I’ll never be able to dispute a guy who comes from a pro system in college,” Banks said. “They’re gonna come in to the NFL game with their feet running. If you’re from Stanford, Michigan State, USC, those guys offensively and defensively kind of know what picture they’re gonna take when they get to the NFL. It doesn’t look like a bunch of moving parts.

“Sometimes coming from that spread offense as a quarterback, you get to the NFL and those safeties are rocking and rolling, you’ve got to read safeties and coverages. Where in that spread offense, it’s almost like the coach calls the play, fake to this guy, throw to this guy. So that’s what’s gonna be kind of the test of time with RGIII: can he get his head up, read the safeties and change his approach that way.

“He’s also, what I thought was humility, I think he’s almost a little too cocky,” Banks said, making the headline. “Because the NFL game, especially at the quarterback position, can be very humbling. Like, I’ve heard him make a statement, something like if you’re an elite player in college, you should be an elite player in the pros. I don’t think any NFL player who’s played in the league a couple years would agree with that statement, by any means. They are two totally different games, and especially at the quarterback position.”

The quote Banks is referring to seems to have come from his conference call with reporters the night he was picked by the Redskins. There are slightly different versions of it; here is how USA Today recorded it:

“I look forward to the challenge,” Griffin said in a conference call. “That’s how we play football. If you can play football in high school, you can be an elite college player. If you’re an elite college player, you can be an elite pro. I am a rookie, but I’m not going to go out and use that as an excuse. I’m going to try to succeed.”

Seems like standard-issue rookie talk to me, and I’m not sure that it shows untoward cockiness. Banks also admitted that he was wrong about Cam Newton last season, and that “he kind of made me look like a fool there, but I appreciate that, I don’t mind being wrong.”

He also said that Griffin should receive a long grace period, possibly up to three years, to prove he belongs. But still.

“Getting a bunch of names registered, whatever he’s doing, and some of these statements he’s making, he’s just opening himself up,” Banks said. “Because he will struggle. Even Tom Brady struggles a game or two through 16 games. So he will struggle. How will he bounce back from that, and how long will that grace period be?”

Eh.... He states pro's and cons that are real. Don't see it as a pot-shot at all. The fact that none of us really respected Tony Banks as a football player prolly had more to do with it than anything else. I happen to think he's right about RG3's marketing agenda, I hope its not a distraction long term.

I think the kid's got "it" but Banks is right...he's gonna struggle and how he is going to bounce back from that is the real test of the college to NFL transition. Will he fold and slurp the drank like Jamarcus or will use the pressure to drive him like Newton?

Its all valid, we all want to believe but the risk has and will be there until its not.

Tony Banks may be the dumbest QB that ever started 5 or more games.

He is not an ex-Redskin, IMO. He's a mistake.

The only way Griffin will seem "too cocky" in my book, is if he can't play at this level. Which doesn't seem possible at this juncture.

Tony ****in' Banks. Gimmie a break. WTF cares what that imbecile has to say anyway.

980 must be desperate for guests.

Move along... Nothing to see here.

Eh.... He states pro's and cons that are real. Don't see it as a pot-shot at all. The fact that none of us really respected Tony Banks as a football player prolly had more to do with it than anything else. I happen to think he's right about RG3's marketing agenda, I hope its not a distraction long term.

I think the kid's got "it" but Banks is right...he's gonna struggle and how he is going to bounce back from that is the real test of the college to NFL transition. Will he fold and slurp the drank like Jamarcus or will use the pressure to drive him like Newton?

Its all valid, we all want to believe but the risk has and will be there until its not.

Disagree...I would not call RG3's behavior up until this point "cocky" at all. Dude is reportedly spending 12 hours a day at Redskins park working out & learning the playbook. Yeah, real egomaniac, that one!

There is a fine line between cocky and confidence. I think Griff is walking that line. I agree with DM here, there were some valid points from Banks.

The problem I have with this is that cockiness can benefit Griff. I am more in favor of a quiet, subtle type who simply does their talking on the field without much fanfare, but this kid is marketing himself and I really can't complain about that.

Oh and DM, that "slurp the drank" comment was classic!

There is a difference between confidence and cockiness. What I see from Griff is pure confidence. I can see how some would view confidence as cockiness, but to me he has never come out and said "I will succeed in the NFL," he has said "I will work my hardest to succeed in the NFL." Very different statements, to me.

There is a difference between confidence and cockiness. What I see from Griff is pure confidence. I can see how some would view confidence as cockiness, but to me he has never come out and said "I will succeed in the NFL," he has said "I will work my hardest to succeed in the NFL." Very different statements, to me.

I agree with you, but there is a fine line and this kid's "confidence" can easily be misconstrued. That's why I prefer a quiet type who simply goes about doing his job, so there is no room for the pundits to castigate him for any minor mishaps. And being a Redskins' fan you know as well as I do that he will be thrown to the wolves by the media if/when he makes any mistakes.

With that said, I cannot blame this kid for marketing himself to maximize his earning potential. I think that is what many see as cocky and Banks suggested as much when he mentioned the trademark of his moniker...RG3. The reality is he has a small window to maximize what he will earn from his Heisman success, that is guaranteed money for him.

I do want to say I think his earning potential will exceed his Heisman/trade/draft hype, I am sold on him being the future of this franchise. He is like most young men in his position, living the life. I also believe he will not "slurp the drank" like Jamarcus Russell did. This kid is oozing maturity beyond his years (there is something to be said about a military upbringing) so I give him the benefit of the doubt when the cockiness line "could" be blurred. I agree, he appears to be more confident than cocky, but there are going to be some who don't agree with us and I think they have some legitimacy based on their limited views of him. Remember, we've had a few months now to dissect this kid while many have not put forth nearly as much effort to get to know him as we have. The pundits are lazy as **** these days. Many of us work harder at their job than they do.

Tony Banks?! As a fellow MSU alum, I'd like to tell he to STFU. He was a good college QB for us and a never-was in the NFL. His season with the Redskins was eminently forgettable. I think being a forgotten man, he's just using RG3 as a way to get his name in the press again. Sad.

Disagree...I would not call RG3's behavior up until this point "cocky" at all. Dude is reportedly spending 12 hours a day at Redskins park working out & learning the playbook. Yeah, real egomaniac, that one!

Dude, he's commenting on a quote from RG3..

" Like, I’ve heard him make a statement, something like if you’re an elite player in college, you should be an elite player in the pros. I don’t think any NFL player who’s played in the league a couple years would agree with that statement, by any means. They are two totally different games, and especially at the quarterback position.”

That type of statement? Its cocky, its confident, both AND its a little insensitive to all of the Kabisa Akili Maradufu Smith's out there.. He will either put up or shutup. (my $ is on him putting up) Banks at least puts some context in why he thinks he's being too cocky. Most others would just say he's cocky without giving you any reason whatsoever.

I seriously think you got your panties all in a wad over nothing here. Tony F. Banks? lmao.

You guys are being too harsh on Banks.
He led us to an 8-3 finish in 2001, including a 5 game winning streak.
What other Redskins QB can say that over the last couple decades ?

Well, Mark Brunnell closed out the 2005 season with 5 straight wins and Todd collins was not far behind with a 4 game win streak to close out the 2007 campaign. ;)

Joe Theismann was the kind of "cocky" you want your QB to be. I believe Griffin III has that. Media coverage of such a player is the only thing that's changed. A confident, (a little cocky) QB with skills is what we need around here.

And Fear, make no mistake, Tony Banks wouldn't amount to a decent pimple on a real NFL QB's ass.

bingo!

note that he hasn't inked his contract yet either.
Didn't Bruce Allen say if they signed him right now, the CBA would limit the time he could spend at the park. As it is now, he can spend more time there learning the system because he isn't signed yet.

Didn't Bruce Allen say if they signed him right now, the CBA would limit the time he could spend at the park. As it is now, he can spend more time there learning the system because he isn't signed yet.

don't know!!

I just care that the guy is picking things up fast. next thing I'm gonna listen for is vets/coaches thoughts on his decision process (how quick, how often correct read, etc.)

don't know!!

I just care that the guy is picking things up fast. next thing I'm gonna listen for is vets/coaches thoughts on his decision process (how quick, how often correct read, etc.)
Yeah, I'll read and listen to all of that too. But, until he's facing live bullets, it's just talk that doesn't mean much.

He did...I forget the exact quote, but they can't sign him right now because it would limit his participation. Seems like a pretty silly loophole, but whatevs.

Dude, he's commenting on a quote from RG3..

" Like, I’ve heard him make a statement, something like if you’re an elite player in college, you should be an elite player in the pros. I don’t think any NFL player who’s played in the league a couple years would agree with that statement, by any means. They are two totally different games, and especially at the quarterback position.”

That type of statement? Its cocky, its confident, both AND its a little insensitive to all of the Kabisa Akili Maradufu Smith's out there.. He will either put up or shutup. (my $ is on him putting up) Banks at least puts some context in why he thinks he's being too cocky. Most others would just say he's cocky without giving you any reason whatsoever.

I seriously think you got your panties all in a wad over nothing here. Tony F. Banks? lmao.

Oh, I agree with you. I posted this thread to make fun of Banks, because WTF did he ever do besides throw a couple pretty deep balls?

I also don't agree that RG3 has been cocky, but that's just my opinion. I took a different meaning from Griff's quote than Banks did, apparently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.