• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

"A tidal wave of offense"

servumtuum

The Owner's Favorite
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Indiana
"A tidal wave of offense.". Those are not my words, but the words used in the write-up in the Minnesota Twin-Cities Pioneer Press sports section online

RECAP: When the Vikings failed to score touchdowns on any of their three first-quarter trips to the red zone, they opened the door for Robert Griffin III to bring the Redskins back. And he did, in a tidal wave of offense in the second and third quarter that helped the Redskins win at home for the first time in more than a year.

Griffin led scoring drives of 48, 90 and 80 yards as the Redskins scored 24 unanswered points in the middle quarters of the game. Lorenzo Alexander also recovered a fumble in midair when the ball slipped out of Vikings quarterback Christian Ponder's hands, setting up Griffin's 6-yard touchdown pass on the next play.

Ponder had possibly his worst game of the season, also firing well over Kyle Rudolph's head on a ball that former Viking Madieu Williams intercepted and returned for a fourth-quarter touchdown. And after the Vikings pulled within five points, Griffin sealed the game in spectacular fashion, dashing 78 yards on third and 6 for a touchdown to seal the game.

MEANING: It's hard to know what to make of this performance for the Vikings' defense, considering they won't see another player like Griffin or another spread-option offense this season. But they got a first-hand look at why the Redskins wanted to trade up to get Griffin. The bigger concern from the game might be Ponder; he threw for more than 200 yards in the fourth quarter with the Vikings behind, but missed some key throws against a weak pass defense and has turned the ball over five times in the past two games. The Vikings will have to regroup against NFC West leader Arizona next Sunday.

Article link: http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_21772658/redskins-38-vikings-26-robert-griffin-iii-excels

"tidal wave of offense."

I gotta admit-I like the sound of that. :)

whats more impressive is we did it with a marginal line. TW looked solid against jared allen but our guards were abused all game long, they are jut physically overmatched. Morriss is sliding and making a guy miss in the backfield and then just getting a 3-4 yard gainer, and once in a while busting off 7 of 8 yarders but its his ability to slide and pick up the 3-4 when it should be a negative that has impressed me the most. RG 3 has just been solid, out and out looks like a vet.

While I think our offense did a fantastic job yesterday, they came through in critical moments to keep the Vikings from closing the gap, there was another one of those head scratcher moments when we called a toss to Morris on a critical 3rd and 1 that ended up being for a big loss. Can you tell me why you're going to toss the ball back 4 yards to try to gain 1 in that situation?

What can I say? It's Monday and we need a little MMQB! :laugh:

I agree. I didn't get that call either.

Kyle again didn't call a great game, but this week was bailed out by RG3 and the defense. 14 points could be attributed to the D (or Ponder's butterfingers, whichever you prefer) and then 7 points were all Griffin on his 76-yard scamper.

Great players make coaches look good.

Don't think there were times that Peyton Manning or Joe Montana didn't save the day for Tony Dungy or Bill Walsh.

Seeing the Eagles and Cowboys struggling with quarterbacks that are over 30 and likely on the downside of their careers has me optimistic for the future here.

It is easier to find a solid RG than a franchise qb.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Couple of fun RGIII stats:

With his 13-carry, 138-yard rushing performance Sunday, Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III continued to put himself in rare company among team and NFL players.

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Griffin became the first player in NFL to throw for a touchdown and rush for a touchdown of 75 yards or longer in the same season.

Griffin also joined Michael Vick as the only NFL quarterbacks since the 1970 league merger to rush for at least 130 yards and two touchdowns in a single game. And he set a franchise record for single-game rushing yardage by a quarterback, surpassing his own record of 84 yards, set in Week 2 at St. Louis.

Griffin now has 379 rushing yards, which also goes down as a franchise record for yards by a quarterback. Entering the game, Griffin trailed Harry Gilmer, who in 1952 rushed for 365 yards while splitting time at quarterback and left halfback. Joe Theismann rushed for 314 yards during the 1984 season.

Griffin’s 76-yard touchdown run was the longest by an NFL quarterback since Pittsburgh’s Kordell Stewart scored on an 80-yard run against Carolina on Dec. 22, 1996. The 76-yard run also is the Redskins’ longest since Clinton Portis’s 78-yard run against Kansas City on Oct. 18, 2009.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-hits-more-milestones-in-redskins-win-sunday/

Make that NFL History

If he stays healthy, he'll be known as one of the two or three best QBs in franchise history.[/QUOTE]

No, I believe that if he stays healthy and the Redskins build a better supporting cast he will go down as one of the two or three best QBs in NFL history and not just franchise history.

HTTR!!!

The thing that intrigues me most is not the electrifying running ability, sweet as it is. What I'm most pleased and excited about is how quickly he is proving to be a legitimate pocket passer.

The reads, the quick release, the accuracy...all appear to be far ahead of the curve--not just for a rookie, but in terms of pure skill level.

The legs will slow over time---the head and heart will only get better.

We could be seeing the start of something truly special.

I mentioned it in another thread but feel it's worth mentioning here too. What impressed me most watching the games live and having the opportunity to review my photographs was his presence of mind while he was in the huddle. He was focused and driven. I think we all knew his physical abilities coming in and what impressed Om is a fantastic reality, but he was in complete control of the offense from start to finish. In his rookie year, at 23 years, he is a natural leader and in person, it was obvious he was in command.

don't think he'll be 23 'til next year, let's not age him any quicker than we have to :)

When the trade was made a lot of us thought the risk of giving up all those picks might bury Shanahan.

Instead having Griffin and fellow rookie Alfred Morris on the team have kept this team respectable.

Without them and with average qb and runner this club is 1-5 instead of 3-3.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

The thing that intrigues me most is not the electrifying running ability, sweet as it is. What I'm most pleased and excited about is how quickly he is proving to be a legitimate pocket passer.

The reads, the quick release, the accuracy...all appear to be far ahead of the curve--not just for a rookie, but in terms of pure skill level.

The legs will slow over time---the head and heart will only get better.

We could be seeing the start of something truly special.

Well, no doubt about it, truly special are the operative words from day one. But on your pocket passing pronostication, I kinda think that's a given. What I admire the most, is that the guy can throw just as well on the run as standing still, on target and a catchable ball. amazing. Throwing on the run is supposed to be a QB weakness, but not with Griff. Once the feet move, absolutely no one on defense knows what the heck he is going to do, pass or run or, or, or, we haven't even seen all he can do yet. I fully expect the guy to break out in a sprint with tacklers in front of him, and instead of pulling a Barry Sanders, he plows straight ahead and hurdles them all. After all, that is supposed to be his forte. So I expect it. Nothing will be surprising with him, but will leave us speechless nonetheless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.