• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

A day we will always remember, 9-11-01

SC_RedskinsFan

The Starter
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Today is a day that everyone knows where they were and what they were doing...... What is your story...

I had gotten out of the USMC 3 months prior to 9-11-01. I was an electrician working on of all things a Army Generals house, on Browns Island, just outside of Beaufort SC. I remember hearing on the radio when the first plane hit. Then a few minutes later they broke into the radio again that the second plane hit.... That was a total surreal feeling. We hardly worked that morning. A hour or so later the General stopped by and asked if we had heard what happened, we said yes. He said that he was heading to the Marine Corps Air Station and a plane was taking him to the Pentagon, and that this was very bad....

I remember being outside looking in the air and seeing to contrail trails in the sky, and that area is like the I-95 for planes. All we could hear and see were F-18's from the Air Station taking off and flying around. I later learned that President Bush and Air Force One were sitting on the tarmac at the Air Station for a while that day, and that is why the sky was filled with fighter jets.

I remember telling the guy I was working with that I thought obl was behind it..... When I was overseas a few years earlier we had warning that he had prices on American Military Troops heads. I don't want this to get political, just part of my thoughts for that day.

It is a day we will all remember and we should make sure that the next generation knows as well so it doesn't happen again....

I was sleeping since it was so early in California. Anyone who knows me knows that I don't like to be woken up or bothered when I am asleep. So my phone rings, goes to voicemail, and rings immediately again. I pick up, "Who's dead?" and its my best friend Chris on the other end. "Thousands. Get up now". I stumbled to the TV, turned it on and as the tube warmed up to show the picture was right when the second plane hit. "Is this real?" "Ya......"

I stood there for what seemed like hours (minutes) and then immediately tried to call my dad who was working down by the Pentagon in a tower crane running some freaking job. I was not able to get a hold of anyone in DC for almost 24 hours and it freaked me out.

I remember the way the people of this country united, how we all gathered around the television to listen to President Bush speak and it felt like the days of old. How when all politicians gathered outside of the Capital building and sang patriotic songs we all joined in and some cried.

I tend not to try and get too sappy but it is something I feel every American should take to heart when they get upset about what rights we have or don't have. We are very fortunate to live in a country as great as we are even with the faults we may have. I wish people could show outward patriotism every day in some way to show pride and that they really do love this country.

I drove to school to pull my son out of his 3rd grade classroom and take him home. I needed him close.

My wife was stranded in Indy with all flights cancelled.

I was stationed in Germany when my mom called. Even watching it on tv the shit seemed unreal.

God bless everyone we lost that day and along with their loved ones.

LeHigh Acres Fl, at the small shop I use to run, workin on a 55 Harley Hummer. Had the morning morons doing their schtick on the radio. They started babbling about a plane hitting the tower, but made light of it being they had no confirmation. Moments later, they confirmed some sort of plane did hit the tower.... Called the wife, knowing there was a tv in the conference room at work. She called me back, and just said get to a TV. My buddy ran up the street and got a little B&W at WalMart. While waiting for him to get back, I started making calls to track down family and friends I know could have been there.... I spend the next few hours just standing in front of the little TV......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.