• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

3 Things Redskins Nation Will Accept In Time

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
We've had a bad 15 years, and it's affected the fan base. We've been bad for so long, that we often times don't even know what good football looks like. We're kind of content to be mediocre, for fear of Dan having to make another football decision, and thereby making us even worse. We may be a little slow, but here are three things that I believe the entire fan base will accept in time.

1. The faster this entire coaching staff is gone, the better.

Our coaches suck. Our HC hasn't won a playoff game in 14 years. That's not just bad luck, or a coincidence. He was fired in Denver for being a terrible GM, and for an awful coaching staff. Nothing's changed--it's foolish to think it would. No other team wants any of our coaches-we shouldn't either.

2. RG3 may never be the same again, and it probably doesn't even matter.

Shanahan's worst mistake was risking RG3 last season. Now he may come back like Adrian Petrerson in time, or he may be done like Duante Culpepper was affter his injury. But the truth? It doesn't matter. I swear sometimes it really does feel like we're cursed. We waited 15 years for a franchise QB, and as soon as we got one, four or five other clones immediately appeared. There are now four or five other RG3s that are as good as he was last year, or better. Even at 100% health, he is no longer enough. He isn't special. And that brings me to number three.

3. We will trade the farm for Famous Jameis, and he will save this franchise.

Fans still in denial may find this outrageous, but it isn't. But don't take my word for it. Jimmy Johnson just called him "maybe the best QB prospect he's ever seen." Wow! That's quite a slap in the face to hall of famer Troy Aikman. Well, I knew that two months ago, and Redskins Nation will finally come around and agree in about another year. Whether it's another serious injury to RG3, or it's another year of mediocre play, the fans will agree and get behind a push for the Prodigy. The Chosen One. He is special. And finally, this franchise will be resurrected.

Last edited:
These are mostly positives, with the exception of RG3. The sooner they are realized, the faster we can begin winning.

1. No. We need stability. Above all else. Fans have no patience. It's why no one should listen to them. You are ignoring that this coaching staff led their team to 7 straight wins last season and the NFC East championship. Of course, when we have that kind of success, it's only coincidental and has nothing to do with coaching, right? We also conveniently forget that the ability of Shanahan and Allen to rebuild this team from the bottom up talent-wise has been seriously hampered by cap restrictions beyond their control. Where they had control, such as in the draft, they've added talent. Its tough to consistently win with mediocre talent, and we still have a lot of that. That's going to get better in the next couple seasons.

2. I may have a brain tumor. Anything could prove to be true. But there's no evidence he's 'no longer the player he was' last year. None. In fact, physically, he looks nearly as strong and mobile as he did last season, at least in the last couple of games. We're having a bad year, we've got an NFC East champion caliber schedule, he had zero prep time prior to the season, and we're struggling. I also think our major problem is finding an offensive identity and philosophy and sticking to it. There may be some clones out there, and talented ones at that - but they aren't Robert Griffin. If you don't see that he's a special young man, and will eventually figure out how to be a winning QB, I don't think you're paying attention. And I say that having heaped plenty of criticism on Griffin this season.

3. I don't know anything about the Florida State kid. He may be a future star. But I know enough to know that you can never predict pro success based on college success. Redskins fans - we're always grasping for the 'Savior' - someone who's going to come in and 'rescue' us. You know what's going to contribute to our resurrection? Stability. Perseverance. Learning from our mistakes. Calm in the face of panic and stress. Building around a franchise QB (we already have a 'Prodigy' and 'Chosen One'). You guys that want to blow it up, constantly, and start over with the latest hot property, be it coaches or star players - I just don't get that.

So count me as one who definitely isn't going to get on board with your conclusions. Then again, I don't consider myself part of 'Redskins Nation' (when did we start talking like Raiders fans anyway?).

1. No. We need stability. Above all else. Fans have no patience. It's why no one should listen to them. You are ignoring that this coaching staff led their team to 7 straight wins last season and the NFC East championship. Of course, when we have that kind of success, it's only coincidental and has nothing to do with coaching, right? We also conveniently forget that the ability of Shanahan and Allen to rebuild this team from the bottom up talent-wise has been seriously hampered by cap restrictions beyond their control. Where they had control, such as in the draft, they've added talent. Its tough to consistently win with mediocre talent, and we still have a lot of that. That's going to get better in the next couple seasons.

Boone, I have been telling myself these same points you make for weeks, but I have to admit that I am really starting to doubt this coaching staff will ever take the Skins to the promised land. The game today was just poorly coached regardless of the lack of talent. I could go into details, but I just don't have it in me right now.

Our coaches suck. Our HC hasn't won a playoff game in 14 years. That's not just bad luck, or a coincidence. He was fired in Denver for being a terrible GM, and for an awful coaching staff. Nothing's changed--it's foolish to think it would. No other team wants any of our coaches-we shouldn't either.

Shanahan's worst mistake was risking RG3 last season. Now he may come back like Adrian Petrerson in time, or he may be done like Duante Culpepper was affter his injury. But the truth? It doesn't matter. I swear sometimes it really does feel like we're cursed. We waited 15 years for a franchise QB, and as soon as we got one, four or five other clones immediately appeared. There are now four or five other RG3s that are as good as he was last year, or better. Even at 100% health, he is no longer enough. He isn't special. And that brings me to number three.

Fans still in denial may find this outrageous, but it isn't. But don't take my word for it. Jimmy Johnson just called him "maybe the best QB prospect he's ever seen." Wow! That's quite a slap in the face to hall of famer Troy Aikman. Well, I knew that two months ago, and Redskins Nation will finally come around and agree in about another year. Whether it's another serious injury to RG3, or it's another year of mediocre play, the fans will agree and get behind a push for the Prodigy. The Chosen One. He is special. And finally, this franchise will be resurrected.
1. I disagree. I have confidence with Shanny and Bruce Allen at the helm. Admittedly, I am not happy with Kyle Shanahan's seemingly schizophrenic play calling and Haslett's defense, but I want to see how the rest of the season goes before I make a decision one way or another about those last 2.

2. What the???? RG3 isn't special? And you seriously think he's at 100% at this point? The mere fact that he has a brace on automatically hinders his running ability making him not as big of a run threat as he was last year. My mind is blown by your conclusions in this whole paragraph. Our issues were masked last year by a dynamic, new offense and RG3's serious threat as a runner and this year our offensive issues have been unveiled, namely with the o-line. To not see that RG3 has incredible talent and dedication is truly unbelievable to me.

3. OMG. Seriously, O.M.G. You're banking your outrageous claim on something Jimmy Johnson said about a REDSHIRT FRESHMAN QB?

I hope there is an NFL team out there who will hire Kyle Shanahan as the Head Coach. As for Mike Shanahan being fired...next season is the true test. If he does not have us in an NFC Divisional playoff game after winning the NFC East, he needs to go. 5 Years, regardless of the road blocks placed in front of you, are plenty. Fred Davis anyone?

The rest is just nonsense McD5. Griffin is going nowhere, Jamies is playing another season in college and Mike Shanahan is here to stay for now.

I think Haslett has done a decent job with what he's had. I'm pretty much over little Shan tho, zero feel/rhythm for calling a game, and same mistakes EVERY week with that unit.

ShanAllen have got to get better addressing the lines. The o-line is obvious but we have no true NT on the other side either. Ill readdress the staff again in April, at least the GM aspect of it.

These are mostly positives, with the exception of RG3. The sooner they are realized, the faster we can begin winning.

How can you say these are positives... you might be trying to spin them, but bottom line you have been on a tear lately talking strictly about how the team isn't good enough.... I'm not going to agree with anything you've said in this post. We've got the cards stacked against us and we're struggling. It's part of getting better as a TEAM. Development needs to be had, no question, but changing a bunch of pieces just slows that development. You're making the same arguments you make every week after we lose a football game, and add new threads to your cause... while it's the same argument every time.

1. I disagree. I have confidence with Shanny and Bruce Allen at the helm. Admittedly, I am not happy with Kyle Shanahan's seemingly schizophrenic play calling and Haslett's defense, but I want to see how the rest of the season goes before I make a decision one way or another about those last 2.

2. What the???? RG3 isn't special? And you seriously think he's at 100% at this point? The mere fact that he has a brace on automatically hinders his running ability making him not as big of a run threat as he was last year. My mind is blown by your conclusions in this whole paragraph. Our issues were masked last year by a dynamic, new offense and RG3's serious threat as a runner and this year our offensive issues have been unveiled, namely with the o-line. To not see that RG3 has incredible talent and dedication is truly unbelievable to me.

3. OMG. Seriously, O.M.G. You're banking your outrageous claim on something Jimmy Johnson said about a REDSHIRT FRESHMAN QB?

well…you may be missing the point. specifically bullet number 2. if that is all Robert can do to be effective, is that enough? can you get by with a QB who can not read defenses well and is not accurate? accuracy can be worked. but not reading defenses well? that has been the downfall of many talented QBs once they arrived in the NFL.

How can you say these are positives... you might be trying to spin them, but bottom line you have been on a tear lately talking strictly about how the team isn't good enough.... I'm not going to agree with anything you've said in this post. We've got the cards stacked against us and we're struggling. It's part of getting better as a TEAM. Development needs to be had, no question, but changing a bunch of pieces just slows that development. You're making the same arguments you make every week after we lose a football game, and add new threads to your cause... while it's the same argument every time.

agree in part…but….when a part starts to fail in your car…do you replace it or at least repair it? A. Robinson is an eternal experiment in speed. he obviously is not a ball magnet - he is going to drop passes. this has impacts throughout a game and a season. one example. so the roster is being rebuilt. check. we are getting younger. check. but are we stocking the talent needed to compete with the best? are you seeing that over time?

I don't know. but I have an idea.

I did not want Shanahan, or Haslett. I still doubt that they can take us all the way. But there isn't a chance in hell that we'd be better off to scrap things now, and start all over again. Besides, you're talking offseason stuff. I'd rather play this one out first, before wasting words on it now. Beating the Chargers is my only concern.

You're not the only one that seems ready to give up on a second year QB that still possesses the ability to end up in our ring of fame.

But, you're all out of freakin' minds. IMHO.

You want to impress everybody, then tell us what the MegaBall numbers will be Tuesday.

Ax….presently, we have what might be called a "stovepiped" QB. is the future set? of course not. but his limitations, at this point, are serious. they need to be fixed. it's going to take time. true, part of this is a discovery process - what scheme works with his talents and is flexible enough to adjust as defenses box in what works for the moment. but Robert, IMO, is going to have to mature his pocket passing skills or we are not going to prosper in the long run. teams with good defenses will stop running QBs - they always have. plus, your QB grows older. there's a shelf life on this sort of QB.

agree in part…but….when a part starts to fail in your car…do you replace it or at least repair it? A. Robinson is an eternal experiment in speed. he obviously is not a ball magnet - he is going to drop passes. this has impacts throughout a game and a season. one example. so the roster is being rebuilt. check. we are getting younger. check. but are we stocking the talent needed to compete with the best? are you seeing that over time?

I don't know. but I have an idea.

The difference here is that parts for a car come at their best from the factory brand new, where players come out of college and get BETTER with progression. It's not really a good analogy as they perform in different directions over the life. Am I saying this roster is perfect? No, I'm not. But I also don't think were a whole coaching staff away from turning the corner. I agree we've given Robinson plenty of time to develop, and he hasn't. That dropped pass yesterday is inexcusable and he hasn't done enough for this team to start dropping the football. That being said, I personally don't think you can sell the farm on ANYTHING this year simply because of the cap penalty. We haven't gotten a true gauge of the team in when it comes to progression, because of the lack of money.

Shanny deserves next year at minimum with an actual offseason to do work with money. The first 2 years he was handcuffed by HORRIBLE contracts and bad players, then the next 2 years he's been dealing with an unfair cap penalty. He cant change anything yet, and I have confidence that when they get the chance, they'll do what it takes to be successful.

I think the nagging doubt most of us have that we are all trying to ignore is, was Robert's exceptional first year the result of catching the league by surprise? It's becoming a valid question. There are a lot of excuses for his play, and a lot of validity in those excuses, which is why I am nowhere near ready to call for a benching, trade, etc. But I understand those folks who are worried.

Hell, if I am honest with myself, I'm worried. Because of his injury, he has had to stay in the pocket this year much more often and the results haven't been great. I'm more than willing to grant that his injury is probably affecting him more than we know - but regardless, he hasn't looked great. As Al notes, his accuracy is off, he's not making good reads, and he isn't making good decisions. He had two deep balls yesterday into double coverage - thank God they were overthrown or there was a good chance they get picked off. Not great. Some of these problems can be attributable to coming back from an injury, but not all of them.

You know how we like to mock Chip Kelly? Well...

I'm worried.

Having said all that, he is exceptionally bright, determined and gifted. He can absolutely improve greatly, and do so quickly. But there is no guarantee he will. Right now, if the choice is between him being a pocket passer and avoiding injury (looking aside our dreadful OLine for a moment) and being a running QB with a greater risk of injury, you kinda have to choose the latter, don't you?

Now, McD, the rest of your post is garbage. :) Boone is right. Stick with Shanny one more year, ignore Jameis, stay the course, thousand points of light...

If griffin had the accuracy and the pretty throws he had last year (he's throwing a lot of wounded ducks this year) I don't think it'd be that big of an issue. Yes, we'd still have problems with an O line and a WR core that is in need of a 3rd option (in addition to Reed and Garcon.) But Griffin has had the opportunity to make plays that could change the season around, he's just not making them :\

I'd like to think it's all his brace and/or coming off injury, and not permanent, but I don't think anyone really knows :(

I haven't seen point 2 discussed on any message board, or in any news outlet. I think that's new.

There are many other issues that haven't yet been discussed--like the realization that we are hoping to build a franchise around a QB with 2 ACL surgeries. A third would likely end his career. A risky proposition, at best. And another reason why even if he returns to form, the other, uninjured QBs are better long term prospects for their franchises.

I'm not in favor of firing everyone right now. I'd wait for the offseason. Barring winning out, I'd can them all.

I also understand the continuity argument. The problem with that, is that Denver was more than patient with him. We've already seen that it didn't work. What's to think it would here? Absolutely nothing, if people are honest with themselves. He was forced to fire multiple bad coaching hires in Denver. Like in Denver, his ego may prevent him from firing poor coaches here. In order to fire someone you hired, you have to admit you were wrong. Shanahan doesn't like to think he could ever be wrong.

And for Winston, he's two years off.

The difference here is that parts for a car come at their best from the factory brand new, where players come out of college and get BETTER with progression. It's not really a good analogy as they perform in different directions over the life. Am I saying this roster is perfect? No, I'm not. But I also don't think were a whole coaching staff away from turning the corner. I agree we've given Robinson plenty of time to develop, and he hasn't. That dropped pass yesterday is inexcusable and he hasn't done enough for this team to start dropping the football. That being said, I personally don't think you can sell the farm on ANYTHING this year simply because of the cap penalty. We haven't gotten a true gauge of the team in when it comes to progression, because of the lack of money.

Shanny deserves next year at minimum with an actual offseason to do work with money. The first 2 years he was handcuffed by HORRIBLE contracts and bad players, then the next 2 years he's been dealing with an unfair cap penalty. He cant change anything yet, and I have confidence that when they get the chance, they'll do what it takes to be successful.

are you sure? the axel on our QB model has been seriously damaged.

I agree on another year. but I'm also looking at the intangibles - like continued dropped passes, like receivers not getting separation, like an interior line getting pushed into the backfield…..a whole bunch of stuff. there is absolutely no doubt we have improved orders of magnitude beyond where we were w/Zorn, Spurrier, et al. the question is whether we have improved enough and is the trajectory good? that is certainly not a settled matter. We have seen other teams in the league suffer and recover faster than we have - within their own set of constraints. at some point, excuses become just that. not saying we are there yet. but at some point the refrain of "this off-season" gets stale.

But Griffin has had the opportunity to make plays that could change the season around, he's just not making them :\
Just like everybody else on the offense.

Robert is pressing, a lot. He thinks he has to do it all by himself. Apparently, so do a lot of fans. The entire offense is inconsistent. Lack of execution is our #1 problem. And, it's team wide. I'm not concerned with Robert's ability. Though, he can certainly play better, and more consistently.

Just like everybody else.

I don't think he has to do it all himself, but I certainly have higher expectations for a guy that cost us 4 draft picks than everyone else on the team.

Remember - he's the one that spent all offseason telling everyone he was ready to play. He obviously wasn't.

I have to assume #3 is a joke.

"The best QB prospect he's ever seen"? Really?

Wow. I've never ever ... ever hear anyone say that about any other QB prospect before. Ever.

Good grief. Are there ever years where there ISN'T a guy that's dubbed 'the best prospect ever seen'?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.