• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

2021 Roster Updates

I have never used the word 'priority' in any of my posts, and certainly not 'top priority' and I also haven't argued that if we don't get TE2 that the offense can't be effective (I know you are talking generally, not directly to me, I just want to make that clear). You talked earlier about how big a difference it made when this offense was operating from 3rd and 2 or 3rd and 3 vs. 3rd and 7 or worse. I 100% agree that it makes a huge difference. Logan Thomas was a huge part of getting into more of those 3rd and short scenarios. I understand most teams may have 1 great or above average TE starter, and then perhaps a far less talented backup. We don't even have that. We have Thomas and a bunch of practice squad guys.

It's a position of need and not an unimportant one. And while we don't want to consider it, Logan Thomas has had one good season. One. I do believe he's going to be a good one for a long while. But that's a hope, at best a belief, not a fact at this point in time. Do we have bigger needs than TE? Probably, because it's a lot easier to mask weakness at that position than it is at LB, or corner, or LT. I get your all's point. But it doesn't change the fact that we need a reliable backup who can give us more than Jeremy Sprinkle's 1 catch last season, especially were something to happen to our starter.

And not once did I say that depth at the TE position wasn't something we needed to address... just that I don't know that the team believes we need it as much as the fans do. I wish we would have gotten Rudolf or Everett, I share a level of curiosity as to why we didnt...

The narrative I'm talking about is the emphasis that TE2 is a priority and 'need's' to be a major focus of the offseason that a lot of fans have clung to. If we go into 2021 without adding a TE i would be surprised, but I would not expect it to be some flashy move either. I think we're both saying the same thing... that the likelyhood is not a 'weapon' at TE2, but more a clear backup level type. Could be a later round draft pick, a cap casualty, or an obscure type signing between now and August.

We can take some comfort in them finding Thomas, a guy who was on his way to NFL irrelevancy. Maybe there’s a hidden gem out there, if they don’t follow my advice and make a move for Freiermuth.

Actually, that potential move up for a tight end as you mentioned is what I was addressing previously - I don't believe the position of TE as of where we are now on roster construction is high on the list for upgrade, especially at the cost of additional trade assets, etc.

I agree we need 3 tight ends to enter the season and we have one. I thought maybe Thaddeus Moss from last year would emerge as a capable backup but it appears his draft bio of a bit small for the position and lacking quickness was right on in limiting his upside as a blocker and pass catcher at this level.

If the team takes an impact linebacker and OT in Rounds 1 and 2, I don't see any reason a TE might not make sense in Round 3 or 4.

But given the slight investment in both LB and OT I would not give up a #3 pick to move up in Round 2 for a TE.

Unfortunately, we got to this point because Jay Gruden and Bruce Allen continued to hold water for Jeremy Sprinkle for 2-3 years as a guy who was developing despite the evidence that he was merely adequate as a blocker and had no real upside in the passing game.

I really don't disagree with any of that - except that giving up that extra 3rd if it meant being able to grab Freiermuth, would be well worth it. He is a nasty athlete and could take our offense to the next level.

I know it's a highlight reel, but watch the 2nd play here and you will see the kind of physicality and determination he brings to the table.

Boston seems like a guy who is destined to be in DC. Rivera and company drafted him in the 4th round way back in 2014 and then brought him back again in 2019 on a 1 year deal (and gave him a 3 year extension a year later). Other than that they had regime/HC change, not sure why he was cut last season - does anyone else know?

Seems like he'd be a no-brainer pickup. I have not watched a lot of clips on his recent play but maybe some of you can speak to his current abilities? He is only 28, so he'd have some decent productivity still ahead of him. I have to think it is all about contract #'s at this point though. Given their familiarity with him, they obviously have some comfort level there.

Someone else (ST?) mentioned earlier, but if we are able to bring him in, that's another position of need we'll have filled in free agency which really opens the door for one of two things - a move up for a QB, or having a more BPA approach in the draft since we aren't confined nearly as much by needing to fill multiple starting positions.

Looks like from some additional reading that Boston was carrying a pretty hefty contract in Carolina and was cut to free up cap space to pursue a free agent QB. There are some references to his stats and abilities declining, but he'd still have to be an upgrade over anything we currently have, right?

I personally think Rivera and co's approach will be to continue to get pieces in place that they are 'comfortable' with having as a starter, but financially speaking they would not hesitate them if the right person fell into their lap.

Reports are Boston was deemed expendable because Chinn was a ROY candidate. I personally think they went on a cutting spree to try and land Watson, but likely wont now due to his legal issues. He was not expensive by any means in relation to what Free Safeties can get on the open market and I don't think his level of play has diminished to a level that his contract outweighed his production.

We need a healthy candidate to pair with Curl and there’s no guarantee Collins makes it back 100% from the Achilles.

Add to that the fact Collins was not strong in coverage before the injury and I am sure Del Rio and Rivera are thinking the current guys aren’t enough to get through 17 games.

Isn’t the 17th game a peach for us?

Vs. Buffalo on the road.

Geez, thanks.

Boston's coverage grades in 2018 and 2019 were very solid. A decline in production in 2020 would not be enough reason not to bring this guy in on a short term deal on the cheap - especially when you consider our need at FS and the familiarity Rivera has with this guy.

One other thing to consider is the draft landscape. After Trevon Moehrig, there is a pretty sizeable drop off to the next best option at the safety position. To get him, you likely have to draft him in the first round. My gut tells me OL or LB are deemed as much bigger needs at 19 in this coming draft for this front office. If you don't think the next best safety option in the draft is starter material, it almost makes it imperative to bring in a vet option like Boston for the short term.

May be old news, but the WFT has re-signed RB Lamar Miller and T David Sharpe...officially

Miller was a great runner........................in 2017.

The team has to be looking to move on from Peyton Barber. While able to convert 3rd and 1, he didn't seem to have any other skills - he has no speed and doesn't catch passes. He's not a great blocker either.

Adam Humphries presser...

To me Humphries was picked up by Washington after some lobbying by Ryan Fitzpatrick. I think he sold them on this guy's ability to open things up in the middle of the field. Ryan certainly seemed to know how to get the most out of him.

William Jackson said this PM the WFT defensive line was a major reason he picked Washington. Evidently Houston offered him more money.

And Peter King thought the acquisition of Jackson to pair with Kendall Fuller gave Washington a 'mediocre' to 'average' starting set of CB.

The amusing part is if the Giants or Steelers signed Jackson he would have hailed it as a key move that will pay off for the team.

9.3 average on punt returns? Haven't seen that here since Brian Mitchell :giggle:

It was depressing to see us in recent years net 5.0 yards on returns and then have Jay Gruden and Rivera say 'he's the best' returner we have (insert journeyman name here).

The fact we have accepted poor performances on returns and on kicking from Dustin Hopkins and failing to even bring in competition is beyond me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.