• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

2021 Roster Updates

SilentThreat

Ring of Fame
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
I know I know, but when there is news, there is news

A skilled veteran at the WR position, whether JuJu or somebody else, should definitely be a priority. As we saw on Monday, there are going to be days when teams find a way to shut down Terry. While Cam Sims was a great story on Monday night, I am not so sure you want to walk into 2021 believing he can fill the void to consistently be a number 2 target. In fact, I believe doing so would be a huge mistake, and that is not a knock on Sims. He has been a nice story this year, but at the end of the day, you need to stand back and acknowledge what he truly is - a rotational guy that is likely better suited as a third or fourth option on the WR depth chart.

Would depend on whose playing QB next year if we target an expensive wide out, doesn't look like Haskins will see the light of day on the field and Allen sure didn't look like a starter, who knows do we bring Smith back on a short term cheaper deal? I just don't want to see the team spend on a WR if we've got no one who can get the ball to them.

Would depend on whose playing QB next year if we target an expensive wide out, doesn't look like Haskins will see the light of day on the field and Allen sure didn't look like a starter, who knows do we bring Smith back on a short term cheaper deal? I just don't want to see the team spend on a WR if we've got no one who can get the ball to them.

Smith is under contract for 2 more seasons...

I will also say that if we add a legit WR opposite Terry, going into next season Allen likely likes like a viable starter.... not necessarily one that can get you where you want to go, but we can win games with him at QB, especially with this defense. My personal belief is that we actually don't take QB in the first round. My gut for some reason is telling me Smith and Rivera are looking a little deeper in the draft and they like someone. Desmond Ridder out of Cincy is a name that keeps coming into my mind. Getting a relatively young FA WR so you can look at MLB / Oline with more intensity early in the draft, would set us up very well going into 2021 with Smith at QB to start while redshirting the young QB.

Yeah but we could cut Smith and eat the dead money after this season instead of carrying him for 24 million in 2021, I'll say this, if we keep winning, it'll be hard to cut him. I don't see us taking a QB in the 1st round either, if there's an O-lineman worthy of a first round grade I think we go that direction.

Yeah but we could cut Smith and eat the dead money after this season instead of carrying him for 24 million in 2021, I'll say this, if we keep winning, it'll be hard to cut him. I don't see us taking a QB in the 1st round either, if there's an O-lineman worthy of a first round grade I think we go that direction.

Yeah but if we cut him we dont save the whole $24mil, we would save about $14mil. Kyle Allen is not currently under contract so if you don't take a 1st round QB who can start day 1 (I dont think that guy will be there when we pick) you have to sign a vet anyway... Kyle Allen will also be coming off his ankle injury so that's a factor. Most vet guys don't exactly take minimal deals, Cam Newton being the exception in my opinion. Signing a decent starting QB to bridge to your rookie likely puts you out $6mil to $9mil at the lowest, so that $14mil likely isn't $14mil you can use at other positions... Smith may just be worth keeping at this point, especially if he's playing at this level.

why on Earth would we cut a QB who wants to be here and is winning?

JuJu as a potential FA is a great thought in my book. Tough, fast, great person off the field.

We don't know the future plans of the FO, if Smith is the guy I'm fine with it but he's no spring chicken either at 36 although QB's are playing longer and longer these days with the rule changes taking away some of the beatings they used to take. We're going to have to also think about paying the young studs on defense soon as well, and a reduced salary cap. I have a feeling this FA off season is going to be the most interesting in awhile because there's going to be big names that get cut due to restraints. There's the Kerrigan question as well, I don't think he wants to leave but depends on the money he wants and what the market might pay him, although I think at his age I doubt he'll get anything more than 6 mil average a year on a 2-3.

Well, he is 2 years less considering he's been on a shelf LOL

I hear ya...but, since Lawrence isn't going to be available for us we might as well keep Smith and see what else there is. We need stability.

Paying the D is a huge priority, for sure.

We gotsta pay Kerrigan!

we should keep him. not for 20 mil per season, but he deserves upper pay

If I was his agent, I'd expect an offer that would put him in the top 5 guards ... he'll get that from someone.

If I was his agent, I'd expect an offer that would put him in the top 5 guards ... he'll get that from someone.

Hard to make that happen right now. All likelyhood the cap goes down, at minimum it stays the same. Not many teams will be able to afford a big contract.

While this is a little far fetched imho... the idea of adding a playmaker who can do multiple things is a legitimate expectation. I guess Aaron Jones is an option, as well as Travis Etienne in the draft out of Clemson. I think we go later in the draft but the idea of adding a guy like Jones is intriguing...

I'm going to go against the current here. I'm starting to think we are close to being set at WR. I don't think WR is a top 3 priority in the upcoming draft. Assuming Kelvin Harmon returns, I think he's a big-time possession receiver in the making. McLaurin may be a future HOFer, certainly one of the best WRs we've had in a couple decades. Cam Sims, if he continue to improve his consistency, can be an electric guy. And I'm still on the Stephen Sims Jr. bandwagon. His injury set him back a bit, but he will return to form soon. Those are four pretty damn good WRs.

I'm going to go against the current here. I'm starting to think we are close to being set at WR. I don't think WR is a top 3 priority in the upcoming draft. Assuming Kelvin Harmon returns, I think he's a big-time possession receiver in the making. McLaurin may be a future HOFer, certainly one of the best WRs we've had in a couple decades. Cam Sims, if he continue to improve his consistency, can be an electric guy. And I'm still on the Stephen Sims Jr. bandwagon. His injury set him back a bit, but he will return to form soon. Those are four pretty damn good WRs.

I tend to agree that we could be fine at wr... but...

I think there is something to be said about adding an additional weapon. Sims and sims can probably get the job done, but both leave room for improvement if we want to make the offense more dynamic. Look at KC.... you can never have enough weapons

oh, and to be honest I'm a Steven Sims Jr guy. I want us to use him in that dynamic Tyree Hill type role (though he does not have the neck breaking speed Hill does). Jet sweeps, WR Screens, stuff around the LOS until the DBs come up and try to press, then take the top off.

A vet wr would be a great addition. Can never go wrong with a solid CB either

Of course he is... if there are 32 open positions you don't eliminate any of them publicly, even if privately there is no shot.

You wonder if he see's where the 49ers are head, and where this team is headed, and wonders if he made a mistake.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.