• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

2021 Roster Updates

Kiper just did his mock and he has Jones going 8th to Carolina, I believe he's actually moving up a lot of people's boards

I think the only way we get Jones is if we were to take him at 19 if he's even there then.

(I don't think he's going 8 but I am VERY confident he doesn't make it out of the first round)

Darnold is evidently a target for Kyle Shanahan and the 49ers. I wouldn't be surprised to see SF save the draft capital and make a trade.

That to me would have Carolina taking Fields and Jones dropping a bit.

Washington could explore moving up to that #10-14 range.

What we don't know is how Turner and the front office evaluate the quarterbacks.

I think Rivera as a defensive-coach has a lot of confidence in Turner to help select the passer to move forward in his offense.

But I don't see any reason to give up both trade assets AND a big hit on the cap for a new contract for a passer in 2021 unless that player is already proven.

Otherwise, it's better to trade up or use your own pick and lower the downside risk of a failure on the future cap.

I’m becoming more convinced this may be the year we do something unexpected - like making a big move up.

I’m becoming more convinced this may be the year we do something unexpected - like making a big move up.

as we inch closer to the draft I get the same type of lingering feeling.

Do they have the ammo to go get Zach Wilson?

Doubt it. Recent momentum has him securely planted in the top 5 with some people actually suggesting he could supplant Lawrence at no. 1 overall (I highly doubt this and think it's more about posturing). It would take multiple trades to do it as I think you'd have to get up to somewhere near 2, and I doubt the Jets are willing to straight up drop back to 19 as we likely wont be picking top 10 again next season.

We have plenty of ammo - it just depends on what picks/players they are willing to give up.

Could see a lot of moves with the team happening kinda quick. Front office switches back to in person from virtual today.

The move regarding Alex would put us at ~$53million in available cap space

They must really see something they like... I don't really get it but what do I know?

Me either. I don’t know what they see in him they don’t see on Allen or Heinicke. Or to be more accurate, I don’t know how much more they see in him they don’t see in those 2 that would require giving up something to get him.

I don't think Marcus Mariota is the answer. In fact based on his inability to nail down the Tennessee job and prove he was a reliable passer as well as runner, Mariota at 27 an costing up to $20M in 2021 is a guy we should definitely pass on. If THAT is the only option then I go with Heinicke and Allen for perhaps a combined $7M and move on from there if they don't perform in 2022.

Let's all remember that Mariota was a street free agent in 2020 and was passed over by a number of teams, finally signing to be a backup on a team that missed the playoffs.

Considering that, Alex Smith in 2017 with the Chiefs was a Hall of Famer based on his numbers that year before we traded for him.

He's a solid passer... something like 63% completion rate on his career. So that's just not an accurate statement. He also is a pretty good decision-maker, with almost a 2:1 TD to INT rate. The issue with Mariota has always been not being able to stay on the field. He got them to the Divisional round in the 2017 playoffs and played well with all of the Titans points coming from him - if he hadn't been sacked 8 times by Patriots defenders, they might have had a chance in that game. We could do a lot worse if we're looking to take a flyer on a still young QB with demonstrated talent. I also think he's a nearly ideal fit in a Scott Turner offense.

He's a solid passer... something like 63% completion rate on his career. So that's just not an accurate statement. He also is a pretty good decision-maker, with almost a 2:1 TD to INT rate. The issue with Mariota has always been not being able to stay on the field. He got them to the Divisional round in the 2017 playoffs and played well with all of the Titans points coming from him - if he hadn't been sacked 8 times by Patriots defenders, they might have had a chance in that game. We could do a lot worse if we're looking to take a flyer on a still young QB with demonstrated talent. I also think he's a nearly ideal fit in a Scott Turner offense.

Are you bringing him in at his current number? He's on the books for $10+ and with very reachable incentives that number jumps to near $20mil. I know that's the going rate for starting Franchise QBs, so do you think Mariota is a franchise QB?

He has been a starter - whether he can really be an above average starter for the long-term, I don’t think anyone knows that. But unless we are going after a Russell Wilson or Dak Prescott type ‘sure thing’, that’s true of all the available guys, isn’t it? They all have question marks. I do think Mariota fits what Turner wants to do on offense.

As far as the salary, if he meets those incentives, that’s not an exorbitant salary. I doubt we sign anyone with starting experience who won’t demand a salary in that neighborhood.

Im not necessarily saying Mariota is the answer, but it is misleading to call him inaccurate. He does have talent and might shine in the right offense.

He has been a starter - whether he can really be an above average starter for the long-term, I don’t think anyone knows that. But unless we are going after a Russell Wilson or Dak Prescott type ‘sure thing’, that’s true of all the available guys, isn’t it? They all have question marks. I do think Mariota fits what Turner wants to do on offense.

As far as the salary, if he meets those incentives, that’s not an exorbitant salary. I doubt we sign anyone with starting experience who won’t demand a salary in that neighborhood.

Im not necessarily saying Mariota is the answer, but it is misleading to call him inaccurate. He does have talent and might shine in the right offense.

That's very fair. I would have no problem with Mariota if not for that number. I know that's the going rate for starting QBs, but my bigger issue is not the amount spent on 2021... it's the fact that the money does not go toward a long term starter, or be carried over if not spent. You could almost argue carrying over $20mil into next season when we're going to have to start paying our d-lineman like Allen and Settle is more valuable than taking a chance on Mariota and 'seeing if he's the guy.'

For $20 mil I want to have a pretty good level of confidence that he's our guy for at least the extent of a standard QB contract... 4 or 5 years. That's why, as we've talked before, Darnold and Minshew on a level are more enticing. They cost very little, so if they don't work out the loss is pennies.

All great points. Of those three, Darnold scares me the most. That might seem strange, but the reason I say that is we’d have to give up significant assets to get him and he has struggled to complete even 60% of his passes. I guess ultimately we just have to trust Rivera and company. I’m leaning towards either moving up to get a youngster or maybe even riding with what we have in 2021 and see where we are after this season.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.