• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

2021 Roster Updates

So Charlie Casserly says Stafford is staying put, that ALL the interviewed coaches said Stafford is who they want to build around.

Today Boomer Esiason said today that Stafford wants OUT of Detroit....

I love me some Casserly and he may be correct that this is what the coaches are saying but he doesn’t seem to be at the top of his game anymore in terms of having his thumb on NFL pulses.

When your assumed franchise QB is publicly saying he wants out, that ain’t good.

He's almost always wrong in recent years, sadly.

I’d love Stafford, but I think there are teams that are closer to winning that will give up more to get him. Watson fits in that category as well, though I think Stafford would cost less due to age and wear and tear. I think that makes him more attractive to most teams because they don’t have to mortgage the future to get him. Indy and New England immediately come to mind. The Colts were in the playoffs and suddenly have no QB. The Patriots season was torpedoed by an awful Cam Newton. It’s not their style to do something like this, but they saw last year that without a QB they are nothing. I could see both of those teams looking to trade for Stafford. There are others as well such as SF, Chicago, Carolina, New Orleans that could potentially use a QB or look for an upgrade. I’m sure there are others and a few surprise teams interested as well.

I say all that to say that I think it would be hard to deal for Stafford as I think the price will be driven up by all the teams inquiring. Watson will be hard because the cost will be so great. But the Team would be fools not to inquire or throw out a reasonable offer.

I may be crazy but I don’t see NE as being better positioned for success over the next fews years than Washington.

Brady knew.

I may be crazy but I don’t see NE as being better positioned for success over the next fews years than Washington.

Brady knew.

You may be right. I just look at that defense and how good they were before Brady left. They had a few key guys on defense opt out because of COVID as well. That could be a train wreck already in motion. Or perhaps those missing pieces coming back on defense and adding a QB makes them competitive. I don’t know and honestly don’t care. I just see them as a team that could make a move for a QB trying to solve the biggest problem from last year.

You may be right. I just look at that defense and how good they were before Brady left. They had a few key guys on defense opt out because of COVID as well. That could be a train wreck already in motion. Or perhaps those missing pieces coming back on defense and adding a QB makes them competitive. I don’t know and honestly don’t care. I just see them as a team that could make a move for a QB trying to solve the biggest problem from last year.

No doubt. I just take exception to the lists I have seen that default to NE as a top destination for QBs who want to win now.

If one does, it will be interesting to see how it plays out. Was NE’s success equally due to Bill and Tom? Was it predominantly Bill? Was it predominantly Tom?

This inquiring mind would like to know.

Brady knew.
They gonna suck because Belichick is pretty poor picker of groceries. He will never live up to the ability Bill Walsh had.

Yes, the Patriots and Denver have higher picks in Round 1 but Washington has a younger DL we can throw in the deal that these other teams don't have.

Currently we have Chase Young, Montez Sweat, Daron Payne, Jonathan Allen, Matt Ioannidis, and Tim Settle.

Assuming that under the cap the team is only going to be able to afford 3 of these players going forward on big second contracts, that leaves perhaps a Jonathan Allen out there as trade bait.

The Patriots roster is garbage. Outside of Stephon Gilmore New England doesn't have much talent that is first rate.

The best package for the Lions is a high pick AND a player that has already proven themselves.

I think we need to slow down with the notion that we're going to have to give QB money to 6 D-lineman in order to keep them here.

Ioannidis just signed an extension at $7.25m per year which keeps him for now, 2 more seasons. When this contract expires he will be 29. We have Young completing his 1st year of a rookie deal, and Sweat completing his 2nd. That leaves (with the 5th year option) Young under 'control' for 4 more years and Sweat for 3. Allen and Settle will be entering their final year of their contract, while Payne appears to be but I believe we can pick up his 5th year option being as he was a first round pick.

I say all that to say this.

When Young and Sweat are due for their 'big payday' Ioannidis will have fulfilled his SECOND contract and will be approaching 30. We can sign Allen / Payne / Settle to 3 year contracts (similar to the Ioannidis deal) and get a whole 2nd contract completed before Young and Sweat are due for their big payday, so writing them off as 'unaffordable because of what Sweat and Young will get' is kind of irresponsible.

To add to that we have a very inexpensive offense with Roullier being the highest payed offensive player, not named Alex Smith, in regards to APY... followed by Morgan Moses. McLaurin has 2 more years, and he will get PAID, but by that time you've got Alex Smith and Morgan Moses off your books. It's possible you can move on from Collins at that point and those 3 contracts alone likely pay the whole of the interior D-line.

No I don't think we can keep all of our starting D-lineman for the entirety of their careers, but to believe that we can't get 3 - 4 highly effective years out of that unit and keep the window open for contention is not really accurate. I get that one of those pieces may be needed to leverage a trade for a starting QB, and it'll pain me to see any of them go, but I don't know that it's some foregone conclusion that we have some necessity to move on from one of them sooner because of the future cost is effecting a unit that is a major piece of our defense.

QB is imho, the most important position on the field, so the value is not overstated... but there is more than one way to skin a cat here, and I get the notion of going ALL IN for this limited window that we have cap leverage, as well as legitimate assets... but I also don't think there is only 1 way to make it all come together either.

My point was simply that we could offer ONE of that gaggle of players on the DL in a trade package to get a top 10-15 starting quarterback in Stafford from the Lions. Picks are no doubt a big piece of the package but getting a proven younger player is also attractive.

That's fair, and unfortunately with us picking 19th overall this year, and likely later than that next year if we're adding a 'franchise' QB, then those players may be the factor that gives us the package that a team picks over someone like the Patriots who pick before us.

I've just seen all over twitter people talking about how "we can't keep them all" is the thought process. That's a mentality you have when you're not contending. If you can find yourself in contention, you don't let go of a piece simply because you don't think you can re-sign them. That player could be a factor in getting where you want to.

Good teams use quantity of quality at one position to add key pieces elsewhere on the roster.

In the era of the salary cap you simply can't afford to stockpile talent at one position and ride it as second contracts then constrain what you can do at other positions and you risk having an unbalanced roster.

In my mind on the DL, you sign both of the outside rushers in Young and Sweat when they come up for new contracts. You keep one of the pairing of Allen and Payne to be the anchor inside and use the other as well as Ioannidis potentially as trade bait.

And that's an option, but not the only one, that's all I was saying.

Its unlikely we keep them all, so utilizing one as an asset is possible. That said. Keeping as much of that unit together that we realistically can gives us a very solid foundation to help with success. Using them as trade bait and not supplementing correctly is weakening a strength while not necessarily strengthening a weakness

If Ron values draft picks like he has shown, then he is not going to want to part with any high picks. If he wants his middle linebacker he might even have to trade up a few spots. He can take advantage of our great cap situation and sign a free agent wr.

Once you start giving away picks for high priced players, you are really asking for trouble. Especially if that player is past his prime and injury prone.

I think that argument works outside of the quarterback position. Quarterbacks today can play until their late 30's.

Yes, Washington can stay at #19 and draft a linebacker or a free safety.

But the biggest impact move for this team going forward is to settle up at quarterback.

It's good news for Washington that you could have perhaps Aaron Rodgers, DeShaun Watson on the move as well as 3-4 prospects that could be taken in the top 15-17 picks in April.

If Washington is going to target Stafford the Lions are likely not going to be able to ask for an outrageous trade package if these other players are also available.

If Rodgers is available I see Denver or Indy as the destination.

Miami, NYJ or NE may be more interested in Watson.

looks like the Stafford dilemma could be answered as early as today

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.