• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Firearm Thread

I've never owned a gun, but my wife and I are seriously considering getting each one. Any recommendations?

I've never owned a gun, but my wife and I are seriously considering getting each one. Any recommendations?

You won't regret owning & shooting firearms riggins44! There's a thousand different directions you could go in regarding buying 1 or 4. Are you looking to conceal carry?

We will both get conceal permits. Not sure how much I will carry mine, since can't really keep in my car. Have a step-son in law enforcement so he will work with us as well.

I would really recommend the LC9s for your wife. It's smaller, has narrow grips and has a ver y nice trigger pull that she won't have any problems with...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah rig I would defer to Chris & Boone with a the M&P make but agree on a 9mm for good wife caliber.

.380's and or 9's are a great choice.

Had some free time today so I did a small cosmetic improvement-
M&P1.jpgM&P2.jpgM&P3.jpgM&P4.jpg

How in the world did you do that Chris - was it the Keebler elves? Nice.

How in the world did you do that Chris - was it the Keebler elves? Nice.

The wonders of YouTube. Pretty easy and fun. I'm doing the Ruger .22 right now.

You're the man. But we already knew that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a DPMS panther .223 black rifle for a while and I've almost never used it. I kind of wish I had never bought it.

Do pawn shops trade straight up gun for gun ? Looking to get a good 20 ga o\u for quail hunts.

Finally decided I'll be getting a gun as well as my CC permit this spring. I've just decided it's time for me to take control and be able to protect myself instead of having to rely on others. My mom's horrified (she's getting used to it now), but my dad and brother have been really supportive and will be taking the course with me, as will one of my female colleagues and her husband.

Ironically, I will be paying for this gun and CC course with the payout my employer just made to me for the vandalism of my car in the employee parking lot. :laugh:

Finally decided I'll be getting a gun as well as my CC permit this spring. I've just decided it's time for me to take control and be able to protect myself instead of having to rely on others. My mom's horrified (she's getting used to it now), but my dad and brother have been really supportive and will be taking the course with me, as will one of my female colleagues and her husband.

Ironically, I will be paying for this gun and CC course with the payout my employer just made to me for the vandalism of my car in the employee parking lot. :laugh:

Good for you, K. There is no reason to chance being a victim if you don't have to. I would suggest that you spend some extra money and take a handgun training course so that you are very comfortable with all aspects of handling the weapon and develop the skills to be proficient with it.

Also, keep in mind that there is an extended waiting period involved in obtaining a CC permit. I'm not up on CA law but in Florida it takes on average 75 days from the time the State receives the application. Most of that time is waiting for the FBI to complete the finger print examination.

I've had a DPMS panther .223 black rifle for a while and I've almost never used it. I kind of wish I had never bought it.

Do pawn shops trade straight up gun for gun ? Looking to get a good 20 ga o\u for quail hunts.

SS imho I'd stay away from a pawn shop if you could. I've got a buddy back home that ran one and you'll get taken for a ride. Maybe go to your local gunshops, some would be willing to trade I bet. If not check your local craigslist to see if anyone would barter. Know your rifle's value before dealing as well.

SS imho I'd stay away from a pawn shop if you could. I've got a buddy back home that ran one and you'll get taken for a ride. Maybe go to your local gunshops, some would be willing to trade I bet. If not check your local craigslist to see if anyone would barter. Know your rifle's value before dealing as well.

Good advice, I was actually meaning a gun shop that took trades when I mentioned pawn shop, but you are right at the distinction.

Good for you, K. There is no reason to chance being a victim if you don't have to. I would suggest that you spend some extra money and take a handgun training course so that you are very comfortable with all aspects of handling the weapon and develop the skills to be proficient with it.

Also, keep in mind that there is an extended waiting period involved in obtaining a CC permit. I'm not up on CA law but in Florida it takes on average 75 days from the time the State receives the application. Most of that time is waiting for the FBI to complete the finger print examination.
Thanks for the advice, Chris. I am not sure about the waiting time for the CC in California, but I would expect it takes about that amount of time, if not longer because, well...CALIFORNIA. I'll ask my girlfriend who owns the gun store I'll be ordering my gun from. I will definitely be taking an extra training course with hand guns because I want to feel completely comfortable with it. I mean, I live in a rural community and have gone out shooting with friends, but I want to be a lot more comfortable with guns than just occasional shooting of cans on fence posts if I'm going to be carrying, lol.

Fortunately, one of our family friends is former-LE and licensed to teach the CC class, so we are going to hire him to train us (well, at least the other female and I since this is our first time owning a gun) as well as administer the CC class to our small group.

You have model & caliber picked out K?
I have it narrowed down to a couple that some of my other female friends have as their CC guns. I have the two names written down at home, though I can't remember right now. I'm going to test them out prior to buying though because I want to make sure the grip size is the most comfortable for me.

That's one of the nice things about living in a rural, ranching community: everyone has guns and owns gun stores and there are plenty of qualified people around to help me out. My dad and brother are keeping close watch over me though...lol!

The sheriff of your county has to determine you have 'good cause' - but I'm guessing 'for self-defense' meets that criteria in most cases. May depend on your county though.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.