• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Kirk Cousins Development Tracker

The thing with the Carr contract are the guarantees so that may play into negotiations with Kirk. The details are somewhat lengthy to describe so it's best to visit the Spotrac link to view them.

link: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/oakland-raiders/derek-carr-14445/

Basically; $40M guaranteed due at signing including a $12.5M signing bonus. Another $30M in guarantees due at various times throughout the contract. I believe those guarantees would have to be adjusted for Cousins but something similar should be workable and still be in that $70M guaranteed area.

I'm not sure why you're hung up on 'value' and 'overspending' Ax. As long as the team can figure out how to make a long-term deal with Cousins work without crippling our ability to pay other key players, who cares? Of course Kirk will be 'overpaid' if we work out a deal with him - all top 10 QBs are overpaid, it's just the price of doing business. The free market - it's a beautiful thing :)

I seriously hope we don't have to test your premise that Colt McCoy is 'just as good' as Kirk is - because I think that's a pretty dubious assertion. Setting aside talent comparisons, McCoy even in very limited action has not shown a lot of durability. And Sudfeld? Yikes. He's not ready for primetime. We've had plenty of years seeing how easy it is to win with just average QBs under center. I'm surprised that some of us have gravitated back to the 'you don't need a franchise QB' side of the fence. I think the evidence is pretty compelling that, in fact, you do.

I'll take an over-paid team that succeeds, over an average or below-average team where we got great "value" on each of our players.
There are no NFL standings for teams that got the best value for each of their player contracts.

I'm not sure why you're hung up on 'value' and 'overspending' Ax. As long as the team can figure out how to make a long-term deal with Cousins work without crippling our ability to pay other key players, who cares? Of course Kirk will be 'overpaid' if we work out a deal with him - all top 10 QBs are overpaid, it's just the price of doing business. The free market - it's a beautiful thing :)

I seriously hope we don't have to test your premise that Colt McCoy is 'just as good' as Kirk is - because I think that's a pretty dubious assertion. Setting aside talent comparisons, McCoy even in very limited action has not shown a lot of durability. And Sudfeld? Yikes. He's not ready for primetime. We've had plenty of years seeing how easy it is to win with just average QBs under center. I'm surprised that some of us have gravitated back to the 'you don't need a franchise QB' side of the fence. I think the evidence is pretty compelling that, in fact, you do.
I wouldn't call it "hung up". It's just not in my bones to like paying for premium filet mignon when I believe I'm being served mid grade strip steak.

If #8 had any meaningful wins under his belt, maybe it wouldn't rub so wrong. But he wants to be paid for winning a Super Bowl, in advance.

I know, market value, they're all overpaid, blah blah blah. Tom Brady has been signing unselfish contracts from the start.

I realize it's rare that a guy looks at the long term big picture, instead of letting human greed dictate his moves. But, it happens. I just wish #8 was that kind of guy. But he's following his agents direction. And there aren't any agents I know of that consider ANYTHING over money. Regardless of any lip service to the contrary. I guess on top of wanting decent play from the QB position, I'd like the guy to not be a greedy ****, as well. He's a multimillionaire because of this franchise. So yeah, I think a little hometown discount is more than warranted.

And, for the record, I've said we can win with Colt. Not that he's just as good.

Bottom line is, #8 has proven, so far, that he can't carry the team. Neither could Colt. But with a better overall squad, we can win with either. IMHO

I get the talent piece - that's a subjective opinion and you have a right to value his talent however you see fit. On the rest of it - as long as it doesn't cripple the team's ability to keep talent at other positions, I don't really understand why it matters how big a deal he gets, nor why we should begrudge him getting the biggest payday he can while he can? Brady is a bad example - he probably makes quadruple in endorsements what he does in salary annually. And to get to that point, he had to be given the chance to be a star. He was, and he is, and as a result he's rich beyond imagination and doesn't need a gigantic salary from the Patriots. Cousins is still pretty early on in his career, doesn't have that luxury, and wants to get paid. It's not a personal thing - it's just common sense.

On your last comment - you're just speculating. We KNOW we can win with Kirk. We don't know that the same is true with Colt McCoy. That's a pretty big leap of faith to make because we decided we don't want to pay the man.

It's just not in my bones to like paying for premium filet mignon when I believe I'm being served mid grade strip steak.

The Redskins have been subsisting on weak broth for decades. I personally think it a bit silly to now start arguing about the cut of the steak.

If we don't get this deal done, kiss another five to ten years goodbye. And it may be Dan Snyder's lifetime before this team is constantly good again.

This should have been a no-brainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The Redskins have been subsisting on weak broth for decades. I personally think it a bit silly to now start arguing about the cut of the steak.

If we don't get this deal done, kiss another five to ten years goodbye. And it may be Dan Snyder's lifetime before this team is constantly good again.

Just a little history refresher, which should help alter anyone's view who believes we can just go BOOM, and find another Kirk Cousins :

Robert Griffin III
Rex Grossman
John Beck
Donovan McNabb
Jason Campbell
Todd Collins
Mark Brunell
Patrick Ramsey
Tim Hasselbeck
Shane Matthews
Patrick Ramsey
Danny Wuerffel
Tony Banks
Jeff George
Brad Johnson
Trent Green
Jeff Hostetler
John Friesz
Gus Frerotte
Heath Shuler

No problemo..... we lay an egg this year we draft two qb's next draft. Its only takes one time to get lucky. see cows who always have that horseshoe up their ars.

Just a little history refresher, which should help alter anyone's view who believes we can just go BOOM, and find another Kirk Cousins :

Robert Griffin III
Rex Grossman
John Beck
Donovan McNabb
Jason Campbell
Todd Collins
Mark Brunell
Patrick Ramsey
Tim Hasselbeck
Shane Matthews
Patrick Ramsey
Danny Wuerffel
Tony Banks
Jeff George
Brad Johnson
Trent Green
Jeff Hostetler
John Friesz
Gus Frerotte
Heath Shuler

Didn't 5 of these guys go to the superbowl?

No problemo..... we lay an egg this year we draft two qb's next draft. Its only takes one time to get lucky. see cows who always have that horseshoe up their ars.

That's the point. We've taken that approach for 20 years. Hasn't exactly worked out. We aren't that smart. Cousins is the best thing we've had in 20 years under center. If we don't find a way to keep him, we're just a stupid, arrogant franchise imho.

Didn't 5 of these guys go to the superbowl?

You know better than to make that argument. You might as well just argue that Trent Dilfer was a franchise QB.

It SHOULD only take one time. The Redskins drafted two QBs in 2012, both of them won a division and went to a pro bowl, and we are on the verge of letting the second one leave five years later.

On what planet does anyone think the Redskins will not screw up the next QB that comes down the pike? Our track record is fairly long and consistent.

Is our plan REALLY going to be wait until the next Tom Brady comes along to give us a home town discount? Are you guys kidding me?

This is why we can't have nice things [emoji846]

Last edited:
Our front office is turning a what seems to be a cut & dry decision into a sloth on Ambien. If both parties want to proceed then send the agents, Schaffer, the Bruce, ret Gen Mattis,& who the **** ever else to the park this Friday.

Lock all their asses in one of the board rooms and seal it up until there's a direction, one way or another. Vatican style negotiations until a yay or nay transpires.

The alternative explanation is that they are playing this smart - working the deal right up to the deadline to get the best one they can. I know - I'm not even sure I believe it, but the truth is they don't have to make the deal until they have to. All the time in the world to beat on them if they don't make it happen.

For us to be a contender, two things MUST have happened this offseason. First, our remake of the defense is real and we become top 10 on D. Second, we really discover a competent running game. I think we have set ourselves up for both. But we have to WAIT and see.

Boone already hit the nail on the head as for the impediment to these prerequisites. Kirk's contract may kill our chance for the rest of the team to arrive as competent. How do we continue to build if allocating so much to the QB?

I stick with the franchise tag, that is pretty much the same as Carr for one year. But when I see that list above, and add Kirk's name, I don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling. That list of QB's is a reflection of the front office incompetence to identify and draft QB's with huge potential and upside. We are horrible at it. Kirk is one of the long list. He may prove us wrong this time, but keep the fingers crossed. I am merely moving on to another avenue of selecting a QB and this is one that relys on pure luck. Because we've been so bad at it. I don't agree Boone that the past is a result of having tried with luck to fill that need. No....we have simply been incompetent at it.

I know the team would never look at it like this. Its just me and I'm tired of the losing mindset from the front office. They perpetuate the incompetence.

And Trent Dilfer, he was good enough, as was Brad Johnson, as was Rex Grossman as was McNabb, and potentially Trent Green and Hostetler. They were good enough to win, if only we had a playoff team surrounding them. Let's get this team built to compete on both sides of the ball, and not get desperate spending all the money for one unproven guy. My hopes are real high for this team, but my expectations are somewhat low.

Micks I think you are over stating Kirks impact on our ability to field a decent team. We already have a team that wins more than it loses. We are already paying Kirk like a top five QB. We still have plenty of cap room. Kirk hasn't kept us from greatness with his salary. It's more the complete refusal to draft a defensive tackle, or the inexplicable love for Matt Jones, or five other things. Kirk and the cap aren't the problem. In fact, the passing game led by Cousins is pretty much the only thing that IS working properly right now. You take that away and you're not building a team. You are gutting it and starting over. Again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.