• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Good Stuff...

The young Oline did very well.
Defense only gave up 10 points. If we were offered a deal that would give the opposition 17 points, and no more, every game, we'd jump on it.
Alfred Morris did pretty good for not being a downhill runner. (sarcasm)

Last edited by a moderator:
Kirk Cousins has had ten starts with this being the first start of his career where he's had the full backing of the staff and club without being told he's just a part timer until Bob gets back.

Nobody here knows what he is. Hell, even the staff and GM don't know for sure,which is why he's getting his full shot now.

The logic of a majority of this fan base is down right frightening.

With this type of microwave evaluation, Mark Rypien never sees the field again after being benched by Gibbs with turnover and confidence issues and Stan Humphries never gets a second chance in this league.

Two rookies on the right side of the Oline and losing your best wr basically from the word go, is what Cousins had to deal with today.

Plus, this overreaction is based off ONE game. No need to see if the man can grow,his fate is sealed in most fans minds,the same logic that says we need to give Bob more time to see if he can progress after 35 starts doesn't apply to Cousins.

Very amusing.

Well, Cousins isn't, and won't have to, for now, face the same scrutiny Robert does. And that's a good thing.

Had Griffin played the exact same game, he'd be the guy getting nailed to the cross by the media, and most innerweps boards. Including this one.

Hell, they may yet fault his presence for Kirk's performance.

Well, Cousins isn't, and won't have to, for now, face the same scrutiny Robert does. And that's a good thing.

Had Griffin played the exact same game, he'd be the guy getting nailed to the cross by the media, and most innerweps boards. Including this one.

Hell, they may yet fault his presence for Kirk's performance.

He did look to be a huge distraction on the sidelines yesterday...

The young Oline did very well.
Defense only gave up 17 points. If we were offered a deal that would give the opposition 17 points, and no more, every game, we'd jump on it.
Alfred Morris did pretty good for not being a downhill runner. (sarcasm)

defense only gave up 10 points!

defense only gave up 10 points!
You're right! I stand corrected.

I'd also give half the credit for the punt return touchdown to our offense. But, this is the wrong thread.

Waiting on BB's grade thread for that.

Kirk Cousins has had ten starts with this being the first start of his career where he's had the full backing of the staff and club without being told he's just a part timer until Bob gets back.

Indeed. Generally QBs play better when the pressure of starting isn't on them. It's why guys like Pete Mitchell, Matt Flynn, Bubby Brister, one of the Detmers (I forget which), Matt Cassell, 450 year-old Randal Cunningham ... it's why they play awesome for a few games when hey get a chance to step in as a backup but once they get a permanent starting job ... they turn out to be not that great. Generally, one doesn't see a backup look mediocre for three years and then suddenly be awesome once they get the starting job. I could be wrong, but I don't remember one case like that.

Nobody here knows what he is. Hell, even the staff and GM don't know for sure,which is why he's getting his full shot now.

Oh, I think they know. I think we're drafting a QB after the season is over.

What they have right now is 'not Robert Griffin'. They want someone who can at the very least run the offense the way it's supposed to be run. Cousins can do that.

Maybe I'm wrong. But even if I am I can tell you that Cousins isn't some blank page like a rookie.

The logic of a majority of this fan base is down right frightening.

With this type of microwave evaluation, Mark Rypien never sees the field again after being benched by Gibbs with turnover and confidence issues and Stan Humphries never gets a second chance in this league.

The league is a very, very different place now than it was 25-30 years ago, both in the way the game is played and the way players are developed. You can't sit on a QB and wait until he's 26 to even see the field and then give him another few years to iron out his game. No team in the league can do that today.

Additionally, Rypien is a great dude and I thank him for everything he's done for the Redskins, but a Franchise QB he wasn't. He was a guy who was able to produce with an awesome assemblage of players around him. I think I pretty much said Kirk Cousins could be a guy like that too. In fact, that's exactly what I said.

Of course in this day and age, the chances of putting a team like that together is almost nil. This is a pitch-and-catch league now, dominated by teams that find top level QBs while the rest of the teams try and hang on as best as they can until they find one for themselves.

Two rookies on the right side of the Oline and losing your best wr basically from the word go, is what Cousins had to deal with today.

One rookie on the right side, actually, and he's a top five pick. Every QB in the league deals with that sort of thing. Good ones elevate the play of every one around them. To date, I have not seen that from Cousins.

Plus, this overreaction is based off ONE game. No need to see if the man can grow,his fate is sealed in most fans minds,the same logic that says we need to give Bob more time to see if he can progress after 35 starts doesn't apply to Cousins.

It's based off of three years and one game. That was my whole point. He's not a rookie. He's not close to a rookie. He's been in the league for three years, including a full year under this system with this coach. At this point we should know what sort of player he is. How much more time are you going to give a 27 year-old to grow?

And no, the logic of giving Cousins the same amount of time to develop as Bob isn't the same. Bob was a physical freak. On top of that he was phenomenal for 15 of those 35 starts and injured for most of the rest. There was absolutely cause for giving more time to a very expensive 22 to 24-year-old top prospect who had been successful at the pro level to re-find his game.

But hey, this is all moot anyway because Cousins WILL get the season to show us his stuff. I'm not even against him starting this season. I'm just saying that, as opposed to a rookie, his game appears to be pretty well known and he is what he is. If Gruden and McLovin think they can work with that, more power to 'em.

Last edited:
A game like today where there was so much "BAD" expected, you have to really start with the "GOOD"... and there was a lot of GOOD to talk about. I'll have a few "BAD" things to say on just about every topic that I have good things to say, but I'll reserve that for the other thread.

1) Let's start with the game plan... The coaching staff came up with a really good game plan in the beginning and they didn't deviate from it. Had they had a few more breaks and better discipline, it really wouldn't have mattered who was at QB... we should've won that game based on the game plan alone. The game plan was particularly designed to help the young OL & Kirk Cousins.
2) Alfred Morris is clearly NOT a product of RGIII & the read option... His vision, patience, and the way he sets up blocks is amazing. Matt Jones played well, too. However, it's clearly Alfred Morris' team and will be for the rest of this season (barring something unfortunate). People need to stop talking up Matt Jones and just enjoy what they are getting from Alfred Morris.
3) OL play was way better than expected. Boone said it well, we were expected to get trucked. I think it really helped us when Olivier Vernon went down with an injury, but that's football.
4) The Rookies - Scherff, Smith, Jones all had good games... Huge play by Smith. Smith also created quite a bit of havoc that enabled Hatcher on a few of his big plays.
5) WR/TE - Pierre Garcon was a beast (as usual)... Jordan Reed made some really big plays and didn't get injured.
6) Defense as a whole played pretty well, but I also think the Dolphins weren't ready to play out of the gate. The injuries to Ihenacho & Hall really hurt, especially at the end of the 1st half. It's pretty clear to me that Hall still has it. Kerrigan & Kenan Robinson played well (as usual). Hatcher was a beast.
7) Tress Way still has a massive leg...
8) QB play was better than expected, but my expectations were somewhat low here. Cousins seems to be able to move the ball effortlessly when there isn't much pressure. He looks the part of an NFL QB between the 20s.

I can't really tell how much of our success was due to the Dolphins overlooking us, or just not being as good as everyone imagined. Maybe we're also better than expected. What's clear to me is, we're certainly quite a bit better than the 32nd power ranked team. Maybe mid-20s right now.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

While the team lost, and the 11 penalties were a brutal cherry on the top of Djax injury, I take massive solace in the performance of the offensive line, the Running game and the D as a whole.

Lots to build on even if there is a long way to go.

If nothing else, I hope the Phins fans who crowed a blowout can have a nice dose of STFU even though they won.

Last edited:
Ryan Kerrigan played like a beast yesterday. The strong inside move to knock the pass down, the sack, chasing the runner down in the backfield. He looks better than ever.

1) Let's start with the game plan... The coaching staff came up with a really good game plan in the beginning and they didn't deviate from it. Had they had a few more breaks and better discipline, it really wouldn't have mattered who was at QB... we should've won that game based on the game plan alone. The game plan was particularly designed to help the young OL & Kirk Cousins.

I'd actually put that in the "Bad" column.

They didn't change their gameplan when Miami clearly did at halftime. That was why Miami scored 17 unanswered points in the last three quarters and the 'Skins were shutout in the second half. There were execution issues and KC1 had his patented timely INT at the end, but Miami did make adjustments that countered what actually did work earlier and Gruden didn't adapt when he saw things were becoming futile.

Nick

I wasn't including half-time adjustments or in-game situational play calling a part of the "game plan"... The game plan that I'm talking about was intended to protect the young OL & Cousins by running the ball & Cousins typically not taking more than 3-step drops. This game plan looked as if it were made for Robert, to be honest. Cousins was limited to a non-factor (probably a good thing) and at one point in the game, I tweeted that I thought any of the Redskins QBs would be winning the game at that point (I think we were up 10-7 at that time). From that standpoint, the plan was good and kept them in the game with a chance to win... I hope they follow this next week, it's their only hope.

I said in the "Bad things" thread, HT non-adjustments & team discipline were the failures of the coaches. If they were going against a weaker defense, it would be interesting to see if they open things up more.

only for the media. he was being a good teammate from what I saw and have heard.

I was going to leave this alone since I really don't want to get into RG3 again...just wish he'd be released so the drama is over once and for all. Why did they have to show him every 3rd play in their broadcast yesterday?

Anyway, I sat behind the Redskins' bench yesterday, I watched him. Early on, he was moping quite a bit. He would go from player to player and try to chat it up, most times having the team mate simply walk away. As the game progressed, he tried to get more involved with the "pep" talks with players, who simply appeared to ignore or simply appease the kid. You saw as he started to supplant himself in the mix during discussions between coaches and Cousins, why? He's the 3rd string QB, if anyone should be involved...it should be the 2nd stringer, who actually gave coaches and Cousins space to discuss what was needed...just looked like he yearned for the action and did anything and everything to be included.

To be honest, it was quite sad.

One additional positive I will add is that we look more physical to me. Not sure if it's personnel, coaching or both (probably both), but Scot has said he wants opponents to KNOW they played us - and I think the Fins will. They may have won, but we didn't back down, and we pushed them around a fair amount.

AlMo and Jones in the 4th Q after a full game of tackling those two has to be a nightmare for defenses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.