• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Offseason Edition, Free Agency 2014

Burgundy Burner

The Commissioner
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Virginia
It is time to put the miserable 2013 season behind us and look forward to free agency, the draft, and a new coaching staff. In this first edition of the offseason of free agency, we will take a look at players that the Redskins could target, re-sign, release, and tender. We will continue this thread with updates until the start of the new season

More...

Burner’s Burning Questions – Offseason Edition, Free Agency 2014

It is time to put the miserable 2013 season behind us and look forward to free agency, the draft, and a new coaching staff. In this first edition of the offseason of free agency, we will take a look at players that the Redskins could target, re-sign, release, and tender. We will continue this thread with updates until the start of the new season – March 11. After that time, periodic updates will follow. The first offseason mock draft will be posted in about two weeks and will have regular updates starting in mid-March.

Here are some of the free agents that could be targeted. Obviously, the Redskins can’t sign each player, but having substantial cap room allows for some flexibility. Who do you like in this list and who would you avoid?

OL:
Anthony Collins (T), Age: 28,29
Austin Howard (T), Age: 27
Rodger Saffold (T), Age: 26
Geoff Schwartz (G), Age: 28
John Jerry (G), Age: 28
Jon Asamoah (G), Age: 26
Alex Mack (C), Age: 28,29
Evan Dietrich-Smith (C), Age: 28

WR:
Julian Edelman, Age: 28

TE:
Brandon Myers, Age: 28,29
Scott Chandler, Age: 29

DL:
Lamarr Houston (DE), Age: 27
Arthur Jones (DE), Age: 28
Linval Joseph (DT), Age: 25,26
Randy Starks (DT, DE), Age: 30

ILB:
Donald Butler, Age: 25,26
Brandon Spikes, Age: 27
Vinny Rey (RFA), Age: 27

OLB:
Jason Worilds, Age: 26

CB:
Vontae Davis, Age: 26
Sam Shields, Age: 26,27
Aqib Talib, Age: 28

S:
Jairus Byrd, Age: 27,28
Chris Clemons, Age: 28,29
T.J. Ward, Age: 27,28
Mike Mitchell, Age: 27

BBQ would like to see five of these players signed and prefers Anthony Collins, Geoff Schwartz, Alex Mack or T.J. Ward (one will be franchised by the Browns), Lamarr Houson, and Linval Joseph. Do you agree or disagree? Are there other players that you would like to see on this list? Each player listed has his age displayed for when the season begins in September. Some have two ages listed for in-season birthdays.

Trying to decide who should stay and who should go is a difficult task, but BBQ takes a stab at it.

Players To Retain:
Brian Orakpo (OLB), Age: 28
Perry Riley (ILB), Age: 26
DeAngelo Hall (CB, S[?]), Age: 30,31
Chris Baker (DE, DT), Age: 26,27
Reed Doughty (S, ST), Age: 31, 32
Rob Jackson (OLB), Age: 28,29
Darryl Tapp (OLB), Age: 29,30
J.D. Walton (C), Age: 27
Aldrick Robinson (WR)(ERFA), Age: 25, 26
Jose Gumbs (S)(ERFA), Age: 26

Players To Release/Not Re-Sign:
Rex Grossman
Santana Moss
Josh Morgan
Fred Davis
Josh Wilson
Stephen Bowen
Kedric Golston
Adam Carriker
London Fletcher
Doug Worthington
Bryan Kehl
Dezmon Briscoe
Nick Barnett
E.J. Biggers
Chris Chester
Kyle Nelson
Tyler Polumbus
Jawan Jamison
Baccari Rambo
Troy Kropog
Tanard Jackson

It’s a long list, but a 3-13 record usually means a number of players must go and a certain number stays. What are your preferences?

Players To Keep - Camp Fodder/Practice Squad:
David Gettis
Tevita Stevens
Richard Quinn
Kevin Kowalski
Robert Malone
Gabe Miller
Ryan Mouton
Trent Robinson
Adrian Robinson

Bubble Players To Keep For Now:
Josh Bellamy
Tom Compton
Will Compton
Richard Crawford
Adam Gettis
DaJohn Harris
Josh Hull
Maurice Hurt
Jeremy Kimbrough
Josh LeRibeus
Miguel Maysonet
Chase Minnifield
Chris Neild
Niles Paul
Evan Royster
Chris Thompson

Many of these players are mostly longshots and while some will make the opening day roster, others will fight for a practice squad designation or try to impress other teams.

There you have it – the first installment of BBQ’s look at free agency, 2014. Feel free to discuss these players and what you think the team should do in free agency.

An added note: Aldrick Robinson was signed to a one year contract and that will be reflected in the next edition.

Hail To The Redskins!

Kinda curious why you have Niles Paul as a bubble player. He is easily our best special teams player.

As for the names you have...there are 4 I think we have enough money to sign, but am afraid they will want ridiculous contracts.

Alex Mack - If he is not tendered, give that man his money! He would immediately fix the interior OL problems as a true anchor in the middle. I like Monty, but when you have the chance to pull the trigger on a player like Mack when your current center is passing/past his prime, you do it.

Anthony Collins - Will he sign for a reasonable rate? Does he want to try to get LT money somewhere on a team that is desperate for an LT?

Arthur Jones - Beast!

Aqib Talib - Less inclined to go after him after the injury problems. He's getting older and seems to get hurt a lot more than one would like with a player in his prime.

Tanard Jackson - Has he learned his lesson? If so, he would be an upgrade in that secondary.

Chase Minnifield - Gotta see if his 2nd round talent is there...it will cost nothing.

Leriebus, Compton and Gettis need to be kept on just to see if they have it. None of them are undersized like Monty or Lichtensteiger.

That's it for now.

As critical as I was of Rambo, I think I'd have him on the Bubbles For Now list.

I'd also give a healthy, restructured Carriker, a shot at hanging around.

I'd add Bowen to the list of guys to keep too. When healthy he has easily been out best defensive lineman.

I will be incorporating many of the ideas posted in this thread for future updates over the next few weeks. So keep the ideas coming.

I'm going to add a FA possibility here

CB-Alterraun Verner Titans age-25

I'd add Bowen to the list of guys to keep too. When healthy he has easily been out best defensive lineman.

Agreed. A lot of fans have not been kind to Steve though...

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Agreed. A lot of fans have not been kind to Steve though...

I think he was a great signing. I am just afraid with 3 more years on his frame, he's about spent. We cannot keep him, Carriker, Baker and Orakpo.

I think he was a great signing. I am just afraid with 3 more years on his frame, he's about spent. We cannot keep him, Carriker, Baker and Orakpo.

Why not?

Well, let me rephrase...financially, it probably wouldn't be prudent. Not sure Bowen is worth the money attached. If he took a pay cut, sure. I don't think Orakpo is worth a premiere contract. Of the 3, I think Baker is the most fiscally responsible player of the three since we're gonna stay in the 3-4 and he is likely going to be our go to NT.

I'd only want Orakpo back at a discount. He doesn't produce in this scheme.

I'd only want Orakpo back at a discount. He doesn't produce in this scheme.

Disagree... He was one of our best (if not the best) defensive player on our team last season. Lose him, it's only going to get worse.

Here is a small update - an addition to the original OP of this installment of BBQ.

With a favorable cap situation, the Redskins could steal a few marquee players from other teams that need to franchise another player or have a horrible cap situation.

Teams where we could steal a player because only one franchise tag can be used:
Baltimore - Arthur Jones
Buffalo - Jarius Byrd
Cleveland - T.J. Ward or Alex Mack
Oakland Raiders - Lamarr Houston

BBQ's preference is Jones, Byrd, Mack, and Houston. Who do you prefer on this list?

Item of note:
Cleveland just fired their GM (promoted an assistant GM) and CEO. Could this give Kyle Shanahan a stronger say already in the land of turmoil? Could the Redskins lasso a late first round pick or an early second rounder for Kirk Cousins? A couple of my sources say to stay tuned - there could be something to this story.

Staying with Cleveland, it is surprising to see CEO Joe Banner getting the ax, but Jimmy Haslem has quickly garnered a reputation as a control freak. Banner was responsible for building the strong rosters of the Eagles during Andy Reid's tenure. Could bringing him on at Redskins Park in some capacity be in the cards? This is mere speculation by BBQ, but what are your thoughts?

Orakpo is not one of the 5 best rushers in the league and we should not pay him as if he is.

One of the worst things you can do is overrate your own talent.

You need to be able to move on when necessary.

Shanahan compounded a bad deal for Jamaal Brown by resigning him to a large contract extension in 2011 despite the fact he was still rehabbing the hip.

We should have just called it a day.

In 2014 we really can't afford to tie up half our cap space to resign Orakpo and DeAngelo Hall.

I think this is more red flags for Incognito, like he didn't have any prior to today. :)

Like it was never his fault at Oregon. It had nothing to do with him at Nebraska. He got a bad wrap in St. Louis. And now he is not the bad guy in Miami. Uh huh, ok.

Putting this here...

Looks like Jonathan Martin has been all but exonerated in the Wells Report. It is harsh toward Pouncey, Incognito, and Jerry. This could be surprising to some, but after watching the Dolphins organization since Martin left the team, this is not surprising to me. That front office and coaching staff is very toxic.

Future updates from BBQ in this thread could include Martin in team plans. The Redskins may see it differently and that is certainly their right to do so.

Putting this here...

Looks like Jonathan Martin has been all but exonerated in the Wells Report. It is harsh toward Pouncey, Incognito, and Jerry. This could be surprising to some, but after watching the Dolphins organization since Martin left the team, this is not surprising to me. That front office and coaching staff is very toxic.

Future updates from BBQ in this thread could include Martin in team plans. The Redskins may see it differently and that is certainly their right to do so.

reports I heard today was that while Incognito came off worse than expected, Martin is near bi-polar and joined Cog and Pouncy n some of the hazing. To be honest, I find the conversation kinda funny in some ways: talking about players who slobber knock the crap out of one another on the field harassing each other off the field. something here doesn't compute. then again, as we move ever closer to metero-sexual, "sensitive" new age men as the expectation...who is surprised?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.