• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Pet Thread

the Proactive health.
He's a border collie if that matters.

oh man, I've been feeding him it since he was a puppy. I've been saying for weeks he's allergic to the food. if i'm right i'll be happy to have fixed the issue, but also sad that my dog has delt with this for 4 years now... :(

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/iams-proactive-health-adult/

Ingredients: Chicken, corn meal, ground whole grain sorghum, chicken by-product meal, dried beet pulp, chicken flavor, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E), potassium chloride, dried egg product, brewers dried yeast, salt, calcium carbonate, caramel, flax meal, choline chloride, fructooligosaccharides, minerals (ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, potassium iodide, cobalt carbonate), vitamins (vitamin E supplement, ascorbic acid, vitamin A acetate, calcium pantothenate, biotin, thiamine mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), vitamin B12 supplement, niacin, riboflavin supplement (source of vitamin B2), inositol, pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid), l-lysine monohydrochloride, Dl-methionine, rosemary extract

The first ingredient in this dog food is chicken. Although it is a quality item, raw chicken contains about 80% water. After cooking, most of that moisture is lost, reducing the meat content to just a fraction of its original weight.

After processing, this item would probably account for a smaller part of the total content of the finished product.

The second ingredient is cornmeal, a coarsely ground flour made from dried corn. Corn is an inexpensive and controversial cereal grain of only modest nutritional value to a dog.

For this reason, we do not consider corn a preferred component in any dog food.

The third ingredient is sorghum. Sorghum (milo) is a starchy cereal grain with a nutrient profile similar to corn.

Since it is gluten-free and boasts a smoother blood sugar behavior than other grains, sorghum may be considered an acceptable non-meat ingredient.

The fourth ingredient is chicken by-product meal, a dry rendered product of slaughterhouse waste. It’s made from what’s left of a slaughtered chicken after all the prime cuts have been removed.

In a nutshell, chicken by-products are those unsavory leftovers usually considered “unfit for human consumption”.

In addition to organs (the nourishing part), this stuff can contain almost anything — feet, beaks, undeveloped eggs — anything except quality skeletal muscle (real meat).

On the brighter side, by-product meals are meat concentrates and contain nearly 300% more protein than fresh chicken.

In any case, although this item contains all the amino acids a dog needs, we consider chicken by-products an inexpensive, lower quality ingredient.

The fifth ingredient is dried beet pulp. Beet pulp is a controversial ingredient, a high fiber by-product of sugar beet processing.

Some denounce beet pulp as an inexpensive filler while others cite its outstanding intestinal health and blood sugar benefits.

We only call your attention here to the controversy and believe the inclusion of beet pulp in reasonable amounts in most dog foods is entirely acceptable.

After the chicken flavor, we find chicken fat. Chicken fat is obtained from rendering chicken, a process similar to making soup in which the fat itself is skimmed from the surface of the liquid.

Chicken fat is high in linoleic acid, an omega-6 fatty acid essential for life. Although it doesn’t sound very appetizing, chicken fat is actually a quality ingredient.

From here, the list goes on to include a number of other items.

But to be realistic, ingredients located this far down the list (other than nutritional supplements) are not likely to affect the overall rating of this product.

With six notable exceptions…

First, we find dried egg product, a dehydrated form of shell-free eggs. Quality can vary significantly. Lower grade egg product can even come from commercial hatcheries — from eggs that have failed to hatch.

In any case, eggs are easy to digest and have an exceptionally high biological value.

Next, we find brewers dried yeast. Brewers yeast can be a controversial item. Although it’s a by-product of the beer making process, this ingredient is rich in minerals and other healthy nutrients.

Fans believe yeast repels fleas and supports the immune system.

Critics argue yeast ingredients can be linked to allergies. This may be true, but (like all allergies) only if your particular dog is allergic to the yeast itself.

In addition, a vocal minority insists yeast can increase the risk of developing the life-threatening condition known as bloat. However, this is a claim we’ve not been able to scientifically verify.

In any case, unless your dog is specifically allergic to it, yeast can still be considered a nutritious additive.

What’s more noteworthy here is that brewers yeast contains about 48% protein, a factor that must be considered when judging the actual meat content of this dog food.

Thirdly, caramel is a coloring agent made by caramelizing carbohydrates. It’s used by pet food manufacturers to impart a golden brown tint to a finished kibble.

Even though caramel is considered safe by the FDA, we’re always disappointed to find any added coloring in a pet food.

That’s because coloring is used to make the product more appealing to humans — not your dog. After all, do you really think your dog cares what color his kibble is?

Next, this recipe contains fructooligosaccharide, an alternative sweetener1 probably used here as a prebiotic. Prebiotics function to support the growth of healthy bacteria in the large intestine.

Also, we find no mention of probiotics, friendly bacteria applied to the surface of the kibble after processing to help with digestion.

And lastly, the minerals listed here do not appear to be chelated. And that can make them more difficult to absorb. Non-chelated minerals are usually associated with lower quality dog foods.

Iams ProActive Health Dog Food
The Bottom Line

Judging by its ingredients alone, Iams ProActive Health appears to be a below-average dry dog food.

But ingredient quality by itself cannot tell the whole story. We still need to estimate the product’s meat content before determining a final rating.

The dashboard displays a dry matter protein reading of 28%, a fat level of 16% and estimated carbohydrates of about 49%.

As a group, the brand features an average protein content of 28% and a mean fat level of 15%. Together, these figures suggest a carbohydrate content of 50% for the overall product line.

And a fat-to-protein ratio of about 53%.

Near-average protein. Near-average fat. And near-average carbs when compared to a typical dry dog food.

Free of any plant-based protein boosters, this looks like the profile of a kibble containing a modest amount of meat.

Bottom line?

Iams ProActive Health is a plant-based kibble using a modest amount of chicken and chicken by-product meal as its main sources of animal protein, thus earning the brand 2.5 stars.

Not recommended.

Just from looking at this from dogfoodadvisor.com the Corn, Yeast, By-Product Chicken, and grains could lead to an allergy. I would try a grain and corn free with more proteins and see how he does. Like Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken, Acana Regionals Grain Free, Great Life Chicken Grain Free, Wellness Core, or Orijen

I adopted a new family member last week, Henna, pit-lab mix. Big sister for our little man, Monty!

564708_292293680900561_2016187976_n.jpg

Awe love seeing pups get adopted

the Proactive health.
He's a border collie if that matters.

oh man, I've been feeding him it since he was a puppy. I've been saying for weeks he's allergic to the food. if i'm right i'll be happy to have fixed the issue, but also sad that my dog has delt with this for 4 years now... :(

Another thing you need to look at since he is showing classic allergy symptoms is his treats. You will never see a milkbone in my house. You will need to get healthier treats.

I use some of these: (can get at Petco)
Purebites http://www.purebites.com/ProductsDogEng/products_chicken.html
Buddy Biscuits
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Grain Free Biscuits
Made in the USA dog jerky & rawhides like (Merrick & Colorado Naturals)
Zukes

aw man, no more milkbones and beggin strips?!

;)

i'll have to pick some of those up too. thanks!

I do use Iams for the dog. I started getting something different for the cat because of her obsession with food. I wanted something grain-free. I have tried Blue Buffalo, but it's so pricey to get what I really want to get. We also have added some raw meat at times. The cat loves that, but completely raw food diets can be complicated. I worried about the cat because they need certain organs. Of course now she's more of a hunter and since she's been so hungry, she'll eat all parts of a mouse. I wish she'd eat only mice. It's probably healthier.

We recently switched our dogs to Freshpet. At first, we thought it was super expensive, but if you follow the feeding guidelines on the label, for us it ended up being a lot cheaper.

The raw diet is 10% bone 20% organ 70% meat I think. I would have to look at up. For a cat that eats a lot and over weight look at a lean protein like chicken turkey and bison. BG (before grain) is a good food not too pricey.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

We recently switched our dogs to Freshpet. At first, we thought it was super expensive, but if you follow the feeding guidelines on the label, for us it ended up being a lot cheaper.

Plus you save in Vet bills and less poo to pick up ;)

I feel like I could handle the raw food with the dog, but cats require specific organs and the organs need to be whole. I researched on raw food sites for a while. Our cat hasn't eaten them whole in the past. I do give the cat raw meat occasionally. I usually don't for the dog anymore. He has had some stomach issues and is doing well with his food right now. Sometimes bones are a lot for him to digest.

My bengal cat loves Iams wet foods - various flavors. He's perfectly healthy. I've tried some other brands, but he has no interest. He gets pure spring water too - nothing from the tap.

Too, I am able to get $2.00 off coupons for three cans - up to twelve total for each trip. I pay a grand total of $0.28 for each trip to PetSmart (three times a week). The supply of those coupons is endless - a so-called "perk" of being handicapped.

I feel like I could handle the raw food with the dog, but cats require specific organs and the organs need to be whole. I researched on raw food sites for a while. Our cat hasn't eaten them whole in the past. I do give the cat raw meat occasionally. I usually don't for the dog anymore. He has had some stomach issues and is doing well with his food right now. Sometimes bones are a lot for him to digest.

The BARF diet for dogs require a % organs too.

You've got some good looking dogs Huly. Don't think i can handle all the howling from a hound dog tho.
Also,appreciate all the nutrition advice you've got as well. Seems there's much more to it than what i was thinking originally.

Do you know anything about hazards/nutritional value of mammoth bones?

My bengal cat loves Iams wet foods - various flavors. He's perfectly healthy. I've tried some other brands, but he has no interest. He gets pure spring water too - nothing from the tap.

Too, I am able to get $2.00 off coupons for three cans - up to twelve total for each trip. I pay a grand total of $0.28 for each trip to PetSmart (three times a week). The supply of those coupons is endless - a so-called "perk" of being handicapped.

I was doing some research that said "any" wet food is better than "any" dry food for cats, so at least you've got that going for you.

Also, the thing with cats that I learned the hard way is they can go from "completely healthy" to not healthy in the blink of an eye. My two childhood cats died way too young (8 and 9), and I believe it was because of the diet we were giving them. So he may look super healthy now, but that can change in an instant.

If you are interested in changing his food, you can try slowly mixing it with the other brand over a week or so in increasing quantities until you're totally using the new food.

You've got some good looking dogs Huly. Don't think i can handle all the howling from a hound dog tho.
Also,appreciate all the nutrition advice you've got as well. Seems there's much more to it than what i was thinking originally.

Do you know anything about hazards/nutritional value of mammoth bones?

The hounds??? You should hear the Chi's sing. Sounds like coyotes in the desert!

By the way Huly could allergies to food cause the weepy eye in dogs??

I've always been told that wet food is bad for a pet's teeth. Of course, I always put our dog's dry food in a bowl of water because he refuses to drink water unless he's super thirsty. Anyways, do you guys feel like wet food is not an issue for teeth?

I give Ricky Greenies Treats - he goes crazy when I open the bag - and it acts as a dental treatment. Not sure if there is a version for dogs.

I think my cats are carb-addicts like myself & the gf...they do NOT like much of the grain-free foods! LOL.

They're also city-fied; they don't like the duck or venison foods I got them. Grrrr.

I've always been told that wet food is bad for a pet's teeth. Of course, I always put our dog's dry food in a bowl of water because he refuses to drink water unless he's super thirsty. Anyways, do you guys feel like wet food is not an issue for teeth?

I don't think wet food is "bad" for the teeth, its that dry food is "better" for their teeth, because the crunch helps clean them. At least, that's my understanding.

Here you go Chis sing LOL! They will do this when you cheer for the Redskins, Howl, certain radio songs, sirens, or sing HTTR.

I do not see an issue with mammoth bones. I give my hounds bones like that on occasion. The BEST bone to give a dog is raw (any kind) as they do not splinter and it is so good for them. I also brush my dogs and cats teeth. Becareful with greenies as they will break and has caused blockages and choking hazards. For dental health my dogs always have a bully stick, antler etc to chew on.

Weepy eye- Yes that can be part of it but some dogs are just prone to it. Hot spots, licking, ear infections constantly etc are all major signs.

Dry food is better for a dogs oral care but not a cat. A cat needs wet food. They need moisture in their food.

Another thing that is coming out and I am doing this with all 4 dogs and 2 cats is that if you feed the same protein over and over it can cause an allergy to that protein. Some will use the same brand of food but mix up the proteins.

Example my hounds get Great Life Grain Free Chicken, then I will switch to Bison etc

My Chis get Ziwi Peak Lamb or venison then once or twice a week I give Stella and Chewy's beef and their main cookies are chicken

My cats get basic Weruva Paw Lickin Chicken can but on weekends they get duck, turkey, rabbit, and Nala (not Huly due to allergies) might get beef or fish.

So far no one has developed an allergy since trying this. (Huly's allergies are from crap food Friskies and Iams)

The main allergy ingredients are Corn, Grains and fillers some might have a protein allergy etc but 90% of the time it is the Grains and Corn.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.