• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Anyone else excited of our Pryor, Crowder, Doctson & Reed lineup??!?!

A legit commitment to pounding the rock will give our pass catching core some crazy #'s.

Nope, not excited at all. I want a veteran leader to help this crew, otherwise I feel there will be a deep drop off in the WR play from last year. None of these guys are clutch like Pierre Garcon, and none strike fear of the home run like Jackson.

Don't get me wrong, I like their talent, but none has proven they can be a true #1 WR, who catches the ball on clutch plays like Garcon.

Reed is very good, one of the 5 best at his position, but the rest? Crowder is the only one to really excite me, but we'll see how he steps up into the role of leader. Pryor? He'll be good and put up numbers, but he's playing for a payday. Doctson? Kid has a lot to prove. I am interested to see how Brian Quick does, but I still want to see one of the old guys sitting in the wings waiting for training camp to get going before they commit to a team...as mentioned before, Anquan Boldin would be a great 1 year deal for this group to reall learn from.

You yourself said multiple times Crowder can fill Jackson's role perfectly

I said should be able to, yes...mostly in terms of cost/benefit in comparison to Jackson if Jackson wanted top dollar from us., But he is not there yet...he doesn't strike fear into defenses, yet. Doesn't detract from my concern about the young WR corp. We need a veteran presence and anyone who thinks the current crop is good enough, is much more comfortable than I am.

More comfortable with the passing game than the running game. Potential is there but haven't seen it...yet. I can see more of a need of the veteran presence for WR's but they actually have some guys. Vernon Davis played WR for awhile in SF when they were decimated with injuries. Niles Paul, provided he makes the team, was a WR and he'd probably stay healthier there than TE. Just sayin - there's some options.

We all knew Desean was gonna leave regardless but I'm right there with ya on shoulda kept Pierre. Must have been some serious friction between him and the staff.

On the other hand this is Brian Quick's 6th season and Pryor's 5th, so there's atleast decent experience for the other younglings. Can't say I've followed either guy, but could be they've never been asked to be #1's prior.

If they don't step up like mid career veterans should then I have no doubt Ike will use the pimp hand to square em up.

I'm still a little surprised that we let Garcon go.

Garcon is a younger version of Boldin. Two of the toughest guys in the entire league.

I don't think you can just replace that. I hated to see him go.

Maybe he didn't want to stay. We forget - players do have a choice.

Maybe the trade-off of Garcon and Pryor works in our favor, due to the fact that Pryor can "think like a QB" based on his experience, so he will likely have a good chemistry with Cousins.
Still would have liked Maclin, though.

I doubt Quick makes the team. He has worse numbers than everyone's favorite whipping boy.

I think our WRs will be adequate, but not as dynamic and dominating as it was last year. I am also surprised and disappointed that we weren't able to keep at least one of our top WRs. That's never a good sign. Pryor was a nice pickup and will lessen the sting of losing both Jackson and Garcon, and Crowder is good enough to step in and start, but it's gonna hurt without either of those two.

I wouldn't have kept either at the the price they signed for. I expect Prior to replace Garçon just fine, Crowder to continue to get better, and our best receiver, Reed, to take another step toward being the best in the league. If Doctson proves to be close to what is hoped for, all will be just fine.

Are we hurting for cap space or something? That seems to be on top of everyone's mind.

Right now, with Kirk Cousins counting at the third highest paid player against the cap in the entire league, and all ten draft picks signed, the Redskins are 6 million and change under the cap. If we sign Kirk to a long term deal his number against the cap this year will most certainly go down.

I don't understand this sudden obsession with 'market value.' That's great and all but means nothing if our team sucks.

Garcon, in what is essentially a two year deal, counts a whopping $425,000 more against the cap this year than Pryor is counting. Is that REALLY a crippling contract for us?

I do understand Garcon and Jackson are older players and we weren't going to keep them both and phasing to younger players is a good idea. Personally, I'd prefer 'phasing' out the old guys rather than suddenly losing our top two WRs at the same time. Especially considering that the passing game is what makes this team go, I think that's playing with fire. Let's hope Reed is better and Pryor steps up and Doctson really is that good and Crowder is ready to take the next step and ... and ... and ...

That's a lot of 'ands'. All I'm saying.

Last edited:
Garcon is the biggest loss. Dude was clutch. Best blocker on run plays.

That said, somebody could step into the "clutch" role. But they gotta do it.
Reed, is fantastic. And...;)...a hangnail away from IR.
Pryor "could be" special.
As could the Doctor.

We need to run the ball better, and more unpredictably.
And....;)....protect whomever is under center.

The Redskins are finally doing what they should have been doing all along - moving on from players on the wrong side of 30 that are looking for big contracts based on what they produced when they were in their primes.

Garcon had 1,000 yards last year in an offense with a stable quarterback, a good pass blocking offensive line and threats with Jackson and the tight ends to give him single coverage.

Meanwhile, Terrelle Pryor was on a god-awful team in Cleveland that had a revolving door of quarterbacks, an offensive line that dumped two of its better players in the offseason and no other receiving threats that were worth a damn.

End result? His stats and those for Garcon are remarkably similar :)

Garcon is 31 and and after 9 years in the NFL has maxed out his talent, Pryor at 27 is a guy who has only been a wide receiver for 2 years after transitioning from quarterback, and stands to have significant upside given plus size and speed.

Pryor is a freak physically. At a legit 6'4 and 230 he runs a 4.39 40 yard dash and has excellent leaping ability.

My guess is Pryor is an 1,300 yard, 10-12 touchdown player just waiting to emerge as a legit NFL star.

Whether we will be able to retain him AFTER 2017 is another question.

But as with Zach Brown the team has in my opinion significantly upgraded for the 2017 season at these positions.

It's great that Brown is 'sharing' time at ILB with Compton and Foster in OTAs, etc. , but the truth is that Compton and Foster are nowhere near as productive as Brown has already proven himself to be, and athletically there is no comparison.

Brown is a guy that is fast enough to run sideline to sideline and make plays while providing the one thing this team hasn't had since Monte Coleman - linebacker who can cover tight ends and backs in coverage.

I have been arguing this for awhile now. The issue isn't whether Jackson or Garcon have some good years left - they no doubt do. The issue is whether they are part of the long-term plan and whether or not we want to devote starters spots to them when we know they aren't going to be here down the road.

I also think that there's a phenomenon in the NFL with fans that I myself experience. When teams consistently win, it's never about a handful of players. When teams don't consistently win, fan loyalty tends to attach itself to a handful of key players. Great teams are never going to be crippled by the loss of one or two key players - with the possible exception of the guy under center (and even THAT is arguable). We're too sentimental about our guys - much more so than they are about the team currently employing them - that much I can tell you for sure.

Call it whatever you want. Call it thinking long term. Call it being sentimental.

I think Jackson and Garçon last year were better than what we are going to put on the field this year.

If we have two 1000 yard receivers again I'll take it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm fine with that. I think the combo of Reed, Crowder, Pryor, and Doctson (if he really has overcome the achilles issues) will quickly make us forget how irreplaceable Garcon and Jackson were.

The 'they were better than what we are going to put on the field this year' argument doesn't hold water for me. If every NFL player had to sign one year contracts that would be fine. But that's not how the math works. To retain one or both of them we would have had to sign multi-year deals, and the calculation was that it wasn't worth it and that their production was going to be on the decline. We never know if that is true until we know it. I don't think it was an irresponsible move, that's all I'm saying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.