• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

It's not that Cooley may not, in fact, be correct. It's that he's willing to put it out there without a shred of evidence because his sense is 'something's going on'. I suspect that loudmouth Cooley (and that's what he is) is well on his way to becoming persona non grata at Redskins Park.

It's not like we as fans haven't wondered if McCloughan would implode here as he has already at two different organizations. When he came here, I was shocked at how he publicly rationalized what clearly is alcoholism, basically saying he didn't need to stop drinking and could handle it. If you could handle it, you wouldn't have been tossed from 2 of the most highly coveted jobs on the planet for being a drunk. That was a bad sign, and it's quite possible he is struggling again.

I just think it's classless of Cooley to run his mouth about it. Then again, class was never a particular strong point for him.

I knew you just couldn't resist on this one. I could come up with a dozen legit reasons for somebody to have a constant red face, but you rather be exactly like the media and speculate with literally no proof. I guess if he was Italian, he'd be a mobster.

I knew you just couldn't resist on this one. I could come up with a dozen legit reasons for somebody to have a constant red face, but you rather be exactly like the media and speculate with literally no proof. I guess if he was Italian, he'd be a mobster.

Well, there was this time a bookie stiffed my Dad back in the late '80's and disappeared...

My Grandfather's best friend was Ed Helfant. That's a true story... I didn't even know why he was murdered until I saw something about the Philly mob on History, immediately called my Dad to ask what was up with "Uncle Ed" and my wife was like "Hmmmm... "

Nick

Looks like Cooley is getting the attention he covets, his speculation is all over the web.

Will he be suspended by the organization? And, if not, why not?

Cooley was off today? Coincidence?

Last edited:
High blood pressure causes red face too, lifetime member here.

Okay has Cooley always been a tool or is this something new?

Well, there was this time a bookie stiffed my Dad back in the late '80's and disappeared...

My Grandfather's best friend was Ed Helfant. That's a true story... I didn't even know why he was murdered until I saw something about the Philly mob on History, immediately called my Dad to ask what was up with "Uncle Ed" and my wife was like "Hmmmm... "

Nick

1939 Harlem, my dad was sitting on the stoop (front stairs of a building), and his cousin, who was known as "Petey Red Shirt," was across the street reading the paper on his stoop. Dad said a car stopped between them, and opened fire on his cousin. It can leave a lasting impression on an 8 year old. Petey was a button pusher.... When another cousin got married, the "Rat Pack" attended. My Aunt Anna has a picture of my dad and Sammy Davis Jr drunk and dancing together. True story
Unfortunately, some in my family from the past do fit the stereotype, as he wasn't the only one "connected", and that doesn't include moms side of the Family.

Cindy and I went to a 70th birthday / 50th wedding anniversary party for my Uncle Chick & Aunt Gerry. Wife said it was like being in Good Fellas....

Sorry for the off topic blathering....

Last edited:
I was recently out of the US on business and am plugging back into local news now.

It's as if I never left. Everything is about what to do with Cousins and what direction the draft should take, whether we should take offense or defense.

Perhaps distance creates perspective :)

Here's my renewed take:

1. We need to resign Cousins and get off the franchise tag merry-go-round. In an ideal world we would have drafted Cousins, developed him for a year and then gotten 3 cheap years of increasing production before having to give him big dollars. But that didn't happen because of RGIII and the hard on ownership had for him. It's telling that as late as 2014 McCloughan still had to talk Snyder until he was blue in the face to put Cousins on the field as the undisputed starter.

Yes, it's going to cost $21-$22M a year average and lock us in for 3-4 years without an exit ramp.

But I have NO doubt that Joe Gibbs could have won a Super Bowl with Cousins when he was in his hey-day as a head coach in the NFL, with Beathard providing the OL, DL and secondary talent to help us get there.

Time for McCloughan, Allen and the rest of the front office to man-up and surround Cousins with the kind of young talent the Cowboys have put around Dak Prescott.

2. In regards to the draft, what the hell is CSN and other sources talking about? :aargh4:

The Redskins had the 30th or 31st ranked defense in a number of stats from the 2016 season. It's clear the team's record would have been better with a defense that was even marginally better.

Cousins, while faltering against the Panthers and Giants, did more than enough to win games against the Lions, Bengals and Cowboys (Thanksgiving) but the defense didn't do a damn thing to help with the 'W'.

So, based on that, why is there even any discussion about who to take in the draft?

Running back Dalvin Cook? You have to be joking.

No one takes the #30 defense and an offense based on the WC passing game and invests a top pick in a RB.

The Redskins need to draft defense EARLY and OFTEN.

All of this BPA crap aside, the truth of the matter is there is going to be a defensive lineman, linebacker or secondary player available at #17 that is going to go on to be a consistent pro bowler or all-pro.

Time for our all-star GM by reputation to go out and find him.

One has to wonder about the plan to develop our team here.

Forget Doctson for a moment.

It appears McCloughan was ready to take Ryan Kelly at OC with our #1 pick last year if the Colts had not made the move a couple of picks earlier.

So, a GM with an offensive line that already has Trent Williams (#1 in 2010), Brandon Scherff (#1 in 2015) and Morgan Moses (#3 in 2014) all capable and under 30 years of age is set to invest ANOTHER #1 pick in that unit, while on defense we are depending up street free agents and waiver wire pickups like Kendall Reyes and Cullen Jenkins at 36?

Again, forget BPA - you have to develop a balanced team to be elite and win at the highest levels.

New England has shown that 2 of the past 3 seasons.

They don't have the highest profile all-pros at every position but they are solid across the board.

IMO it's time for the Redskins to do the SANE things:

1. Sign Cousins, swallow some pride, and admit that helps the offense most.

2. Draft defense and forget trying to over-think the personnel side with visions of HOF running backs, centers and wide receivers dancing in your heads.

Welcome back BT. From your post:

"So, a GM with an offensive line that already has Trent Williams (#1 in 2010), Brandon Scherff (#1 in 2015) and Morgan Moses (#3 in 2014) all capable and under 30 years of age is set to invest ANOTHER #1 pick in that unit, while on defense we are depending up street free agents and waiver wire pickups like Kendall Reyes and Cullen Jenkins at 36?"

I was going to go absolutely wild (in a bad way) had we drafted another OL with our top pick last season.

Enough already......let's draft for that defense. I'm hopeful that McLovin will use the Patriots blueprint this offseason.

BPA is fine when there isn't a crying need ... if D isn't a crying need for the 'Skins, there has never been one.

The BPA argument (of course each GM's draft board is different) gets to an absurd level when you have guys like Matt Millen selecting a wide receiver in THREE consecutive drafts because he felt those players were the 'best' each season :laugh:

You can't win a Super Bowl with 3 wide receivers and nothing else.

One draft I remember that really turned a franchise around - 1981.

The 49ers had one of the worst defenses in 1980 and Bill Walsh drafted DEFENSE with 5 of his first 6 picks, including selecting almost an entire secondary that played as rookies together on what became a Super Bowl team.

Ronnie Lott, Eric Wright and Carlton Williamson were selected in Rounds 1, 2 and 3.

Defensive linemen Pete Kugler (NT) and John Harty were also taken among those 5 picks and played on multiple SB teams for SF.

I'd love to see Dalvin Cook in a Redskins' uniform...it's not just about what he can do as a runner, he is one of the best pass receiving RB's in college football. Holy shit! Add him to a list of targets we already have, and we're much more dangerous on offense than we were last year.

With that said, I will pitch a fit if we spend a 1st round pick on a RB, even if it is one of the best overall RB's to come out of college in years.

Free agency will dictate the draft, I hold the belief that we should do something similar to what the Giants did, pay a few tier one free agents on defense who are no older than 27, then draft a few young studs. Like I've said in the past, if Scot is as good as we think he is, he will make some big moves on defense. There are a number of good, young free agents in this year's class.

I don't know anything about Mcluvs drinking it up & friction with the Bruce. Imho tho it seems the team has some major hiccups with Kirk's new contract...or KC's agent has the green light to shop him. It's just odd to me that nothing has been done yet with our most important position. Not the most patient person but it all seems amiss.

Regardless we need to hit all 3 tiers on defense. And a G/C that would sucker punch his own mother for a first down.

Last edited:
If people were grumbling to some degree over taking a guard with the #5 overall pick (even if he is now a pro bowler) in 2015, then even more SHOULD be grumbling if the Redskins use a #1 pick to take a running back.

Running back is a position that is not integral to winning a championship any longer. At least not at a premium level.

New England got a 1,000 plus season and 18 TDs out of LeGarrette Blount, who they acquired on waivers from Tampa Bay.

The previous year the Broncos won with a solid two-way back in CJ Anderson, but again the investment at RB was not at a premium level.

Because the Redskins need help at ALL THREE levels of the defense the odds that there isn't a 'best' player available at #17 that can help the defense are smaller than one might think.

You are going to have some teams reaching for quarterbacks like Trubisky and Watson, who are not considered franchise type performers coming out of college.

Then you are going to have teams that make a run on left tackles and wide receivers. Some guys are going to get elevated from late first to early second round picks into the mid first round.

With that in mind, the Redskins, while not getting Jonathan Allen, should be able to acquire a defensive player that has pro bowl upside and the opportunity to come in and start right away.

Because the 'bust' rate at WR is so high, if the Redskins need insurance against a Doctson that never plays for us because of injuries and the loss of both Jackson and Garcon, I would be more likely to use free agent dollars to go after Britt or another veteran who is better than a 50/50 bet to be productive here.

Seems one of you guys mentioned that Breeland may be moving to FS & I really like that idea. With that in mind that 1st rounder should be tall area covering CB.

That'd give us Bree & Krakken on back end, 1st rounder & Norman as starters with Fuller or Dunbar in the slot.

Then go apeshit with the remainder of picks on the front 7

Funny how quickly things can change. I seem to remember much criticism, and laughing, about how the vaGiants overspent on marginal players in FA last year, before the games started. And now, since it "appears" that it worked, it's what we should do. Anybody care to provide us the list of guys hanging on the magical FA Tree? That are so surefire guaranteed to produce? That are only 25-27yrs old, definitely available, and worth the money? Some talk as if it's a forgone conclusion. And oh so easy to do.

Sure we should take a swing. But people have to remember striking out is just as possible as getting a hit. At every...single...at bat. And they have to learn to accept it. Most don't.

As to the draft? Give me a 10+ yr All-Pro in the 1st rd. And I don't care what position he plays. Well, except kicker/punter.

I had a less snarky thought similar to that yesterday Ax. I think we've found over the years as a franchise, and I believe it's true generally in the NFL, that it's harder to 'rebuild' through free agency than it is the draft. I don't have a ton of confidence that we're going to find a lot of talent out there we are willing to spend for. I have read that the Skins might go after Dont'a Hightower. At just 26 years old, he'd be a hell of an addition. I wouldn't totally discount our ability to improve in FA - think London Fletcher (which is what makes Hightower so appealing). I actually believe that it's better to go after one impact guy in FA even if you overpay rather than trying to wade through the rest of the league's chaff looking for the prime wheat. But in general, I am not a huge believer we are going to rebuild via FA - the Giants were an anomaly last season in that regard.

Agreed. I was just noticing how, despite a lot of "experts" saying this a poor FA crop this year, people talk like there's a tree somewhere that grows young stud free agents that are readily available, easily identifiable, and just waiting to sign with us.

I've never had a problem with signing FA's. I just accept that it doesn't always work out the way that teams plan.
I also don't have a problem with the BPA draft approach. You know, the one professed by almost every GM....ever.

Funny how quickly things can change. I seem to remember much criticism, and laughing, about how the vaGiants overspent on marginal players in FA last year, before the games started. And now, since it "appears" that it worked, it's what we should do. Anybody care to provide us the list of guys hanging on the magical FA Tree? That are so surefire guaranteed to produce? That are only 25-27yrs old, definitely available, and worth the money? Some talk as if it's a forgone conclusion. And oh so easy to do.

Sure we should take a swing. But people have to remember striking out is just as possible as getting a hit. At every...single...at bat. And they have to learn to accept it. Most don't.

As to the draft? Give me a 10+ yr All-Pro in the 1st rd. And I don't care what position he plays. Well, except kicker/punter.

There are a handful of them, not gonna list them because I don't care to.

I am not talking about rebuilding through draft alone, either...they drafted a few and signed a few free agents, and Spags turned them into a damned good defense.

The problem we'd face here is we have an unproven DC who would probably know what to do with the talent.

Don't get me wrong, I like Manusky, he's a Redskins player I enjoyed watching play, he simply doesn't have the pedigree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.