• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Every year. What boards do you read? :)

That's not an author. That's a Redskin fan. And optimism springs eternal every offseason.

Look, I admire your optimism, but I do think it's a bit premature to start buying SB tickets. Ask me again in a month.

When was the last time you even typed anything like that? Gibbs 2? :)

We're going, my friend. We're going.

Who do we have to beat to get there?

Minnesota--Just lost their QB. Sure they still have a chance, but not this year.
Green Bay--They killed us through the air. Rodgers against Josh Norman, an inspired Breeland and Fuller? I like our chances.
Arizona--They love to choke and Palmer is aging.
Seattle--No Marshawn, and a terrible O-line that causes the QB to take big hits.

We're in the discussion. And to be accurate, we'll only have to beat two of those teams above. The others will have lost in the playoffs to competitors.

When was the last time you even typed anything like that? Gibbs 2? :)

We're going, my friend. We're going.

Who do we have to beat to get there?

Minnesota--Just lost their QB. Sure they still have a chance, but not this year.
Green Bay--They killed us through the air. Rodgers against Josh Norman, an inspired Breeland and Fuller? I like our chances.
Arizona--They love to choke and Palmer is aging.
Seattle--No Marshawn, and a terrible O-line that causes the QB to take big hits.

We're in the discussion. And to be accurate, we'll only have to beat two of those teams above. The others will have lost in the playoffs to competitors.

You seem to have conveniently forgotten Carolina, my friend.

Last edited:
Carolina is definitely another good team that potentially stands between us and the SB.

I like our chances in the coaching department in that matchup. I believe that is the team Gruden wants to beat most.

And I like Josh Norman coming to DC.

I mean, I guess Tr1 needs a foil?

To be fair, you've railed for 2 years that Gruden was horrible and should be canned for, among other things, traumatizing Griffin and generally being a terrible head coach. Last year forced you (and lots of others) to muzzle the criticism. I don't mean that to sound harsh - I think that's a pretty accurate statement.

I'm optimistic because I see tangible progress. I still think we are a season or two away from being competitive at a Super Bowl level. But to be fair McD5 has been more right than the 'realists' and naysayers have been, at least where we sit right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 on the league's list of Rookies To Watch in 2016

12) Su'a Cravens, LB, Washington Redskins: Cravens moved all over the field in at USC, but he's settled in nicely at linebacker for the Redskins. He oozes with instincts and attacks ball carriers in a hurry. He has the athleticism to match up with tight ends and running backs in coverage and also has established himself as an asset on special teams. His versatility will prove to be a very valuable asset to the Redskins' defense this fall.

Dak Prescott, Vernon Hargreaves among preseason rookie stars - NFL.com

PFT?s Week One Power Rankings | ProFootballTalk

9. Washington (0-0): Coach Jay Gruden used his team’s placement on this list at No. 32 last year as motivation. This year, he’ll have to find motivation somewhere else.

"9? My ass." McD5

"Florio, our team is the Redskins; get used to hearing it before the word 'touchdown'." -Shi no Tenshi

To be fair, you've railed for 2 years that Gruden was horrible and should be canned for, among other things, traumatizing Griffin and generally being a terrible head coach. Last year forced you (and lots of others) to muzzle the criticism. I don't mean that to sound harsh - I think that's a pretty accurate statement.

I'm optimistic because I see tangible progress. I still think we are a season or two away from being competitive at a Super Bowl level. But to be fair McD5 has been more right than the 'realists' and naysayers have been, at least where we sit right now.

To be fair to me, I stopping saying he should be fired 10 months ago. He can clearly produce exceptional results in the passing game, my hat is unequivocally off for that. It remains to be seen if he can put it all together at the NFL level, which he has demonstrated problems with up to this point.

You can say time and time again (as you have repeatedly done) that the NFL is a passing league now and I am left to infer that the running game doesn't matter. Which is a GREAT position to take if you are supporting Gruden, because he clearly in unable to position a proper rushing game at all.

However, I still contend we need a Tom Brady or Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers for your statement to hold true. And we might have that, and we might not. None of us know yet, we all think we know, but we don't know.

So yeah, I get a little tired of watching Tr1, myself and Henry get lumped together as Eyores. We had an AMAZING year last year, in some regards it was one of the most memorable seasons we've had in 25 years (not saying much, granted). I tend to think, personally, that the cards all fell together for us in the perfect way. McD feels that we're about to win the SB.

We're 5 days from beginning to see who is right.

I think 9 is pretty good. I also like where he put the rest of the division. :)

Anyway, Prisco has us at 18th, behind That Team in Blue (9th) and Dallas (13th). I realize I'm a pessimist but even I think that's a little harsh.

NFL Power Rankings: Think your team's for real? Here's your wake-up call - CBSSports.com

ESPN has us at 14th, but tops in the division. That's about where I'd have us.

NFL 2016 Week 1 Power Rankings - Seattle Seahawks, Pittsburgh Steelers, New England Patriots

But I'd take 9th. That'll work. :)

Seems as good a place as any to put this:

What They Should Do Well: Cousins still struggles with accuracy, especially on throws down the field, but that doesn’t matter with this receiving corps. DeSean Jackson is too fast, Pierre Garcon is too adept at adjusting to the ball, and tight end Jordan Reed is just too ****ing good. With Pittsburgh wideout Martavis Bryant out for the season, it’s a two-horse race between Washington and Arizona for the league’s best receiving group. Oh, and Washington took former TCU star and aerial artist Josh Doctson in the first round of the 2016 draft. It barely makes sense how good these dudes are.

https://theringer.com/nfl-preseason-rankings-eight-contending-teams-3957302db895#.7fxrrzygv

If you want to talk about disrespect, you should've heard Bruce Murray and Brady Quinn on NFL Radio this afternoon when they were making predictions ,division by division.

Both had the Giants winning the East at 11-5 or 9-7, Redskins @ 9-7 or in Quinn's case 7-9.

Both cited the Giants free agent acquisitions and Eli's experience as reasons why they'd take the division. Not one mention that they had a rookie Head Coach.

When breaking down the Skins, Brady Quinn was just outright hating on us.

Ryan Kerrigan: He's an OK player but he doesn't really scare anyone. Trent Williams probably handles him all day long in practice.

Preston Smith: do we really know who he is and is he really that good of a pass rusher? He got five sacks in the last three games but really didn't do much all year.

Is Josh Norman just another flashy free agent signing that's going to bust? Does he even fit in the scheme?

They just kept throwing cold water on our chances this season.....

Let the hate come.... and with any luck, we'll get to watch all the mediots back pedal by seasons end.

Brady Quinn? :laugh:

I thought this guy was stocking shelves at Walmart.

He's hardly a 'grey beard' authority on the ins and out of the NFL.

To be fair to me, I stopping saying he should be fired 10 months ago. He can clearly produce exceptional results in the passing game, my hat is unequivocally off for that. It remains to be seen if he can put it all together at the NFL level, which he has demonstrated problems with up to this point.

Okay - I'll give you a break here, although it clearly pained you throughout last season to credit him. But you're right - you did credit him.

You can say time and time again (as you have repeatedly done) that the NFL is a passing league now and I am left to infer that the running game doesn't matter. Which is a GREAT position to take if you are supporting Gruden, because he clearly in unable to position a proper rushing game at all.

I'll keep saying it - because it's a fact. The NFL is a passing league. And of course the running game matters. But having a great running game is not necessary for success. Lots of teams have proven that in recent history. McD5 (who gets as hard a time for his posts as anyone in the history of the site) is dead correct about that.

However, I still contend we need a Tom Brady or Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers for your statement to hold true. And we might have that, and we might not. None of us know yet, we all think we know, but we don't know.

You can contend it, but the majority of teams (not just the top 2 or 3) who've been successful over the last 5-10 years have relied on efficient passing attacks, not on 1980's style ram-it-down-your-throat rushing attacks. All you have to do is look at the team's with dominant rushers to see it doesn't equate to wins or success the way it used to. It's a passing league :)

So yeah, I get a little tired of watching Tr1, myself and Henry get lumped together as Eyores. We had an AMAZING year last year, in some regards it was one of the most memorable seasons we've had in 25 years (not saying much, granted). I tend to think, personally, that the cards all fell together for us in the perfect way. McD feels that we're about to win the SB.

No one has ever lumped you and Henry in with tr1. I did call Henry Eeyore recently though. He's so smart and good looking and reasonable - it's the only thing I could think of to throw at him.

We're 5 days from beginning to see who is right.

Well, assuming some of you are right and last season was the stars aligning or divine intervention or something, and we drive off a cliff back into the abyss, the least you could do is let a few of us enjoy some peaceful optimistic moments of hope before it all falls apart :)

10-6. NFC Championship appearance.

Diesel...I love me some Ryan K., but he didn't look like the same player last year. I don't know if he was playing injured most of the year or what, but he just wasn't impressive and in a lot of games was easily handled. I'm hoping we see the old Ryan this year.

Oh come on...a year where we defaulted into a division title because the rest of the division did everything in their power to give it to us and were the weakest "playoff" team certainly didn't force ANYONE to eat crow or muzzle their criticism, well not many and certainly not me. I -just like many fellow fans I know- have just lost a lot of enthusiasm for the team...and Gruden is a large part of the reason. In fact he gave more ammunition to those that contend he's a system guy who's a decent OC and still not impressive as "HEAD COACH". Last year sure didn't make me pause, step back and say "Wait a minute, I was wrong, this guy is The Man!"

Life's too short to go back and rehash all of the absurd Pollyannish statements McD has made on behalf of Gruden, either way trying to declare a winner in that debate on any level is a fool's errand and I would argue the veracity of his statements over those who have been Gruden critics. Gruden has yet to make me doubt my original assessment of him. If anything McLovin gets the bulk share for the improvement of this team, certainly not sqaure peg/round hole Gruden. A 9-7 season in a historically weak year for the division is far from impressive nor the stuff that plates of crow are served upon. The team steps up and improves this year and shows an ability to adjust then I'll start coming around. Another 9-7 season won't be enough though. That's just more "meh". I'm glad you're optimistic, more power to you, but it's revisionist IMO to be declaring/implying that Gruden was NOT a horrible head coach and a huge contributing factor in the downfall of Griffin. If Jackson coaches him up and makes him into a player again that will be even more confirmation of those sentiments.

I'm still in show me mode and he hasn't shown me much to be impressed with.

I'm not sure that IS fair, B.

We've all been fans for a long time. We've all been right before, and we've all been wrong before.

I don't think pulling out resumes is all that necessary, do you? I mean I can if we REALLY want to do that.

In any case, I'm done railing against Convention Wisdom as being unfair or biased against this team. That's so 2005.

But that's just me.

Last edited:
Historically weak year for the NFCE.... I like that. Last year at this time no one was predicting that final perception.

We had the perennial NFCE 'powers that be' in the Pokes and Giants, we had the next 'brilliant mastermind' running the Eagles and we had the 'lowly' Skins headed up by a neophyte HC who looked lost and a DC who's greatest accomplishment was the worst defense in history.

Yep, we got Scot, yep the Cowboys lost Romo, yep Chip went off the deep end and yep the Giants lost a bunch because they couldn't hold a lead at ends of games.

No Jay could not fix Griff , yep we couldn't get the run game going with two backups, two rookies and no blocking TE's on the line to lead the way. Guess Compton on the end of the line was a 'tell'.

We lost our 'prized bull' FA pass rusher and most of our D backfield, our LB corps appeared in disarray until our prized 'athletes' manning the positions were injured and replaced by an undrafted guy and someone off the street.

Could go on but it's not like we didn't have moments of adversity ourselves, yet Gruden gets no props for some success. All he did was keep the guys together, had the balls to go against the grain and declare skittish Kirk 'the man' and managed to get the team on a winning track the second half of the season when it counts. Should I even mention 'culture change'.... nah.... that's not important.

Sure, we're all 'waiting for more proof' and no one has denied the limitations of the current team. Some are just optimistic enough to figure the good stuff might just carry more weight than the stuff that may not be quite so good.

Regardless of how we got there we still made the playoffs, we were beaten by a team lead by a pretty good QB under a HC with more than two years under his belt and an organization that has had it's stuff going pretty good for a while.

Are we there yet? Let's see.

Of course Gruden gets props for success.

But there's a difference between that and suggesting that it's 70% likely we will be in the Superbowl this year.

"Let's see" is exactly where most of us are right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 6, Members: 1, Guests: 5)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.