• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Obviously I was talking about Clark in 2015. He ended up retiring but he was physically done by the start of last season.

In regards to Robinson vs Helu, I wasn't comparing the relative value of the two players.

What I was comparing was the overreaction of some fans to the potential departures of each when the issue came up.

Robinson was a marginal player but kept getting defended because of his 40 time.

Helu is a much better player, a guy I would characterize as a solid backup and contributor.

But again I don't see any reason to get anxious over his potential departure.

We have already seen McCoy traded, Gore evidently ready to sign with the Eagles, and Murray at 1,800 yards a pending FA.

Helu's departure doesn't ripple in that pool.

The argument about who is a 'good Redskin' helped keep some guys like Doughty and Santana Moss here for far too long in the recent past.

There is not much to be sentimental about at 4-12.

I think we can move on from Roy and come up with a better candidate to backup Alfred and provide a home run threat from the backfield for the money Helu is now looking for.

Then you were trying to compare an old guy at the end of his career to a man coming in to his second contract like it was relatable.

Doughty probably still would have started on this team considering the lack of talent we had back there and moss did play last year as well when the younger receivers didn't step up.

Moss got on the field last year, but I wouldn't call him productive. He looked every bit the 35 year old receiver that lost his top end speed and quickness.

He took a roster spot as a backup on a 4-12 team that could have better used another younger player with decent size to audition for WR and a spot on special teams, where we definitely need the help.

In regards to Doughty, his presence on the active roster as a ST contributor was fine, the problem came in when the front office and coaches kept going back to him as the top option when a starter got hurt.

The team could and should have found depth at safety through the draft over a couple of those seasons.

At the end when he was being asked to play free safety as well as strong on a spot basis was particularly hard to watch.

You can't play FS in this league tagging 4.7 speed.

Yes, but with the cap penalty and the lack of production from Merriweather he would have been a good filler.

This is the first year without a cap penalty and thst we can actually go find talent.

That is also that baffles me about educated fans constantly criticizing the players chosen or that we signed under contract. We had a huge penalty we were absorbing and that is a major reason why players weren't flocking to us for 1 mil contraxts.

Yep, it all comes down to choices. And if we had done a better job with all of those picks in 2011 it would have been easier to ride out the penalty.

How about 2014? We draft Trent Murphy with our top pick and already there is focus on finding another OLB to pair with Kerrigan as an edge rusher.

Looks like a mulligan pick to me.

Wow that's cheap:

Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero · 2h2 hours ago
Niles Paul's deal with #Redskins is 3 years, $6M with $2.25M guaranteed. Another $3.6M available in incentives (playing time, receptions).

Wow that's cheap:

Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero · 2h2 hours ago
Niles Paul's deal with #Redskins is 3 years, $6M with $2.25M guaranteed. Another $3.6M available in incentives (playing time, receptions).

Wow....that does seem very cheap!

That is also that baffles me about educated fans constantly criticizing the players chosen or that we signed under contract. We had a huge penalty we were absorbing and that is a major reason why players weren't flocking to us for 1 mil contraxts.

I don't think it's always criticism. Every player has holes in his game, identifying those weaknesses during an evaluation time period is necessary. Sure, we as fans aren't privy to those evaluations, but we all watch a lot of game tape too, and we see some of those weaknesses on display. McLovin' doesn't have any emotional ties to any of these players whatsoever, so I would guess the conversations in Redskins Park look pretty similar to what this board looks like; some people defend Helu because of his pass catching ability, others decry his lack of pass blocking skills. As has been said, if we sign him to a reasonable contract (ie, backup's money), I don't think anyone here is going to be upset. If we sign him to starters money, that's another story. If we offer a solid backup's salary and he goes elsewhere, I personally won't lose a lot of sleep. He is a nice player, but far from irreplaceable.

Hell, we've won 7 games the last two years. Who IS irreplaceable?

Yeah..I was talking about the quality you were going to get while not being able to pay what you should for that position.

It's like being pissed at a laborer you picked up at home depot for not being a master carpenter.

Now that we're clear of the cap penalty we should see some quality players come through again.

Yeah..I was talking about the quality you were going to get while not being able to pay what you should for that position.

It's like being pissed at a laborer you picked up at home depot for not being a master carpenter.

Now that we're clear of the cap penalty we should see some quality players come through again.

We're actually still under the cap floor if I'm not mistaken.

Nick

We're actually still under the cap floor if I'm not mistaken.

Nick
I must suck at communicating online today lol

I meant the last 2 years and that is a major reason for the lack of quality players.

Patrick Willis's imminent retirement is quietly making a case to put London Fletcher into the Hall of Fame.

I haven't been excited about the opening of free agency in a number of years.... Can't wait for tomorrow afternoon at this point !

If course, the over/under on how long before some talking empty head says the Skins are busy "winning the offseason" again is about 15 minutes after we sign our next guy. [emoji57]

Om, I wonder if Scot M. might not cause the Redskins to enjoy more sports media slack before any such declarations are made given the seemingly universal praise the Redskins got for hiring him in the first place.

So much for hoping we get lupita. He's going to the cards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 6, Members: 1, Guests: 5)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.