• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Yep, as it should be. I don't see this as some sort of message that others have said they see it as. If it is a message, I can't argue with it: time to shit or get off the pot, Robert. He can make excuses (many of which are legitimate) for injuries and all that, but the fact is that he played poorly last year. I put a lot of that on poor playcalling and having a HS OLine in front of him, but if we're going to be fair, it's not like Luck had the second coming of the Hogs last year and he played brilliantly.

Time to get moving in the right direction, Robert. If you can't handle the pressure, you shouldn't be in the NFL.

Goal...here's my angle: I don't find the "he sucked the last two years" narrative interesting or illuminating. I'm interested in whether greatness can be pulled from him. the past is not prologue. I have seen it many times in my work-life. I don't know about Griffin. what I do know is that the Skins on and off the field have been a circus for years. it's difficult sorting out predictive measures given all the inter-leaving dys-functionalities. I do agree it's put up or shut-up time for RGIII. here's hoping Cavanaugh is better at pulling out all the potential than Gruden.

You're pro Griff?

Since when? Since saying we need to ditch him for Winston? Or when we should package him for Gordon?

I'm pro-any QB we have. Pro-Griff, pro-any backup. Pro-I don't care who the QB is, I want them to kick ass. I couldn't care less which one is the answer.

I'm also pro-Winston and pro-Gordon.

I can agree with all that Al. My problem with Griffin is that my expectations were WAY too high after 2012. I remember calling a buddy of mine to talk football, and I used the word "transformative" to describe Griffin in that conversation. I believed that then, with all my heart and mind. I thought he was talented enough to rise above the sludge that has been and continues to be, the Washington Redskins. I thought he was capable of elevating the entire franchise.

Now, I don't believe that anymore.

We can certainly argue about who's to blame, and why I feel that way now, but I am not sure anyone still feels he can elevate the franchise, do they? It's sad, really. I hope that's part of Shanahan's legacy forever, that his inability to sit the kid down may very well have ruined a transformative player forever. Breaks my heart when I think about it.

As a side note, I love the historical reimagining people do now. First of all, Griffin was a better player than Andrew Luck, and I personally don't think it was close. Until that injury, Griffin was incredible. Just incredible. Secondly, I love how people now are saying that the read option was figured out by defenses and that's why Griffin hasn't been successful. Yeah, if he hadn't been injured, the dude would have torn through the league the last two years, I fervently believe that. Shit, if he hadn't gotten injured, I think we play in the Super Bowl in 2012.

(and Elephant, I'm not arguing about whether it was a good move to draft him given his propensity for injury, so don't go there... :))

Anyway, I've been really down on the Skins for the past 4 months and I think a big part of the reason why is because I think Shanny (and this organization) very well may have ruined the kid. I hope to God someone, ANYONE can get him back to where he was, but right now I'm not seeing it. Right now all I see is a kid who can't lift his team above the mire of crap that this team has become. And I think that's pretty effing awful. And sad. Mostly sad.

We can certainly argue about who's to blame, and why I feel that way now, but I am not sure anyone still feels he can elevate the franchise, do they? It's sad, really. I hope that's part of Shanahan's legacy forever, that his inability to sit the kid down may very well have ruined a transformative player forever. Breaks my heart when I think about it.

I take great pleasure in my belief that his handling of Griffin will guarantee that he never makes it into the HOF. And that he'll never be a HC again.

The voters will remember that.

I take great pleasure in my belief that his handling of Griffin will guarantee that he never makes it into the HOF. And that he'll never be a HC again.

The voters will remember that.

Not much chance of that, McD5. He will not only make it, I think he makes it First Ballot.

Not much chance of that, McD5. He will not only make it, I think he makes it First Ballot.

I'll gladly make a friendly wager of a tall, cold beer that he doesn't make it.

Payable 30 years from today.

Off topic - did anyone catch the Brian Billick comments about the Redskins 'troubled' offseason to come?

Talk about a hack. Billick must not take in more than one game a year when talking about teams around the league.

He said things are especially dire considering the Redskins 'best' player, Brian Orakpo, is coming off an injury and set to be a free agent 😜

So, losing a player that has missed most of three of his six seasons in the NFL being on IR and his 0.5 sacks from 2014 is that detrimental?

Or the extra $11M we can now spend on more consistent, durable performers?

He remarks on the draft mistakes but doesn't even mention the new GM and his track record.

Billick was very lucky to have won in Baltimore at all.

The Ravens already had a top defense and Billick was brought in to be the offensive guru.

He never was. The team went through Tony Banks, Trent Dilfer and then Elvis Grbac as a free agent but none of these guys directed a strong unit.

The year Baltimore won the Super Bowl they did it with their offense not scoring A TD in 3 or 4 straight games.

Marvin Lewis deserves credit as the coach of the defense.

I don't understand why people get so upset with these writers. Are many of them, especially the WP writers hacks? Hell yes they are. Some are absolutely awful.

Is it easy to be a writer during the offseason? Hell no it isn't.

Imagine your employer telling you that you need to come out with three articles a week. After you've already covered the coaching changes, position battles and salary cap, what else are you supposed to write about?

They have to write about something.....anything team related during slow times.

It's not an easy job. That's why there are only a few good ones.
All good points, McD.

The problem is, there's too many writers, radio/tv shows, bloggers, etc... 10 times more than anybody needs. It forces them, apparently, to create a relevancy for their being. They all stoop to shoddy writing/reporting, little to no sourcing, and downright fabrication, on a daily basis. To their credit, they've convinced a large portion of the sports population that they know what they're doing. Evidenced by the sheep like repeating of falsehoods and half truths from callers to the radio station, to the twits, and texts, and facebook ignoramuses that fill the enterwebzzuperhighweighs.

And we all suffer for it.

hang in there goal/bub.....we can't muck around in the bottom forever (the eternal Skins fan lament). somethings gonna happen over the next 2-3 years. worst case I believe McL will get us to respectable. should the FO stay out of the way and gruden not self-destruct...maybe better.

I'll gladly make a friendly wager of a tall, cold beer that he doesn't make it.

Payable 30 years from today.

Done!

Or payable sometime shortly after he gets voted in (although that will likely be a few years because the Hall is leery of coaches pulling a "Gibbs").

hang in there goal/bub.....we can't muck around in the bottom forever (the eternal Skins fan lament). somethings gonna happen over the next 2-3 years. worst case I believe McL will get us to respectable. should the FO stay out of the way and gruden not self-destruct...maybe better.

I hope you're right. But I'm tired of flashing something exciting only to regress to horribleness shortly thereafter. I'm hoping Scot can build something long term; but given how superlative Griffin was, and the fact that we effed that up, I don't think it's a given.

All right, Eeyore just called and said I'm being a bit much...

How about that rag wp printing something negative about Oneida Nation Inc. and their boy Halbritter. Bizarro world or what?

Off topic - did anyone catch the Brian Billick comments about the Redskins 'troubled' offseason to come?

Talk about a hack. Billick must not take in more than one game a year when talking about teams around the league.

He said things are especially dire considering the Redskins 'best' player, Brian Orakpo, is coming off an injury and set to be a free agent ��

So, losing a player that has missed most of three of his six seasons in the NFL being on IR and his 0.5 sacks from 2014 is that detrimental?

Or the extra $11M we can now spend on more consistent, durable performers?

He remarks on the draft mistakes but doesn't even mention the new GM and his track record.

Billick was very lucky to have won in Baltimore at all.

The Ravens already had a top defense and Billick was brought in to be the offensive guru.

He never was. The team went through Tony Banks, Trent Dilfer and then Elvis Grbac as a free agent but none of these guys directed a strong unit.

The year Baltimore won the Super Bowl they did it with their offense not scoring A TD in 3 or 4 straight games.

Marvin Lewis deserves credit as the coach of the defense.

Did he call him Orakpo or Orapko like he does when he calls the games. I guess for him, with Orapko being a FA and Santonio Moss most likely out the door, he won't know which names to butcher next year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.