• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Cool Photo

This one is just a straight up colorization, but there's a bit of significance. The hotel Alcazar was one of the major resort hotel in St Augustine at the turn of the century, and it's claim to fame was the indoor pool, claimed to be the largest in the world at the time. The Alcazar became the Lightner museum, and the old pool area is now the Cafe" Alcazar. We visited the museum, which if you're into antiquities from the golden age, is a must see. Just an amazing collection in a setting that is off the wall. Late lunch had me chatting up with our waiter, when he shows me a photo at the entrance of the main seating area, and he says, they added a bit of color. Lets just say, the aded a bit of blue to the water... I told him that I was into colorizing old photos, and had actually started on that photo. He gave me his bosses email. I finished up the pic, and sent a copy to his boss. She was blown away, and said they were going to use it in a few locations in the Cafe with me credited.

So, here's the pool in all it's glory....

4a03475u-c lr.jpg

If I can ever get my flicker account fixed, I post links so you can see it in high resolution.

It's beautiful, but how come you left the water gray?

It's beautiful, but how come you left the water gray?

Simple answer... it not gray :)

You know me. I try to be as realistically accurate as I can. Generally, water takes on the reflective color of the environment it's in being it's clear. Yes, there are some places in the world where other elements do make the water blue, but not in this instance. With no sky to give you blue, to be technically correct, it needed to be a different color. While the walls are a natural concrete color from that time period, that just doesn't work. the pool itself had an off white paint to make maintaining it easier. With the poor lighting, and the angle the shot was taken giving no depth in the water, I felt the water needed to be closer to the base color of the pool floor, with just a touch of tint to account for prismatic color / light shift. The water is actually tinted with a blue / gray tone. I could no confirm the original color of the ceiling, but it is black as of my visit. The black would make perfect sense to help with radiant heating of such a large space. I also had crank open roof vents for cooling in the hotter months. I don't know, the water was really a bitch to be honest. I tried it in 10 or 11 different tones / colors. I even considered drawing the walls and the lower parts of the men in the pool to give it a transparent look, but one of my personal rules is not to over process the base photo, or make major modifications. I always shoot for a photo that looks as if there was color process at the time.

Sorry for the long explanation, but I figured you might like to know how my mind works with these photos.

I did a small side by side so you can compare.

Alcazar side by side.jpg

By the way... just wanted to thank you for all the support. You are no doubt my biggest fan.

Love ya brother.

Awesome Pete - I know you are an artist and the details don't escape you - to a pixel. Truly beautiful!

My daughter is growing up fast. Here she is with her aunt...my sister.

DSC_7969.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Few from this morning, definitely random.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 92
Very good friend of mine tookhis fully functioning, good looking Chesapeake Deadrise out of the water in July, pumped a month of time and a good chunk of money fixing her up from top to bottom. Here she is.

BLT_9987-2.jpg
BLT_9923.jpg

Ol Bobby Lee's house and the "three sisters" overlooking construction site

Arlington memorial bridge c low res.jpg

Just finishing up some stuff I started a while back..... A Powder Monkey, USS New Hampshire, 1864
132.jpg

Great pics Miles.

Here's a couple I took at lunch today. If you zoom in on the 2nd one, the mountain on the right is my Denali. To give u an idea I'm about 300 miles away from it. Damn thing is big!

image.jpg

Edit: Dammit never mind, pic won't load now. I'll try again tomorrow. The one that did load is not Denali

Last edited:
image.jpg

Okay the one on the right is. The water is the Knik inlet.

Dam man, 300 miles. That's pretty wild.

My bad, it's 204 miles straight, not 300. That's what I get for listening to coworker without verifying (Dianna-ing). Need some of you guys to come up here with the good cameras to snap some pics.

Last edited:
My bad, it's 204 miles straight, not 300. That's what I get for listening to coworker without verifying (Dianna-ing). Need some of you guys to come up here with the good cameras to snap some pics.

200... 300.... whatever :)

I've been busy..... stress does that to me :)

133.jpg

Something about a man and his monkey....

Have been tremendously busy with work so I have not had the opportunity to really spend time with these guys, but needed a lift and was able to be there for my friends at Athletes Serving Athletes Wednesday night. It was a much need jolt to my spirit.

DSC_2633.jpg

Me being a motor head, and lovin vintage, he's another dealer showroom. 1950 models...
136.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.