• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

BGO.C.D.: Bring Me the Head of Colin Cowherd

Under Gibbs II, from 2004-07, we had 2 playoff appearances in just 4 seasons. Does that not deserve any respect ? Not only from the performance itself, but Snyder's ability to coax Gibbs out of retirement ?

A couple of points on this:

1. Yeah, two playoff appearances under Gibbs with a 5-11 season stuck in the middle.
2. We are 4 years removed from Gibbs.
3. Gibbs was followed by Zorn.
4. We signed Albert Haynesworth
5. We traded for Donovan McNabb

It takes a lot of winning to offset a little losing and a lot of smart to offset a little stupid in the minds of the media and the public. The two sides are most definitely NOT equal. This team will likely have to win the division outright at least twice, preferably in back to back years, before we start being the favorite to do it.

You wrote a great piece Boone, and I personally dislike Cowherd. But to play devil's advocate for a minute, history would show that his assumption is pretty safe.

How often do truly bad NFL franchises, the worst of the worst, turn it around to become great teams? I can't think of many. The one that jumps to mind, and something we should strive to follow, would be the Detroit Lions at this very moment. But that's taken a first round QB, a phenomenal WR, and a D-line that we might be talking about for the next decade. It took years and years of competent drafting for them to make the playoffs.

We may finally have the QB. And while we don't have Megatron, Pierre Garcon could be a highlight reel for the next five years. But both are learning new systems, and developing rapport with new players and coaches.

Awful franchises usually have a multitude of reasons for being lousy. Many aren't even visible to the public eye. Perpetual losing, just like it's counterpart perpetual winning, becomes a habit. And one that's tough to suddenly break from.

Of course, our improvements at both the GM and HC positions are a welcomed relief from the terrible course we were on, and both provide hope for our future. But realistically, just how much hope? We are still dealing with an owner who has been highly questionable at best, a HC who has had one playoff victory in the last ten years, and a GM who hasn't exactly built powerhouses. But that GM does have a last name that Redskins fans recognize and like.

A very rational argument could easily be made that we should expect about the same record as the Carolina Panthers had last season. As everyone knows, their QB dazzled, and broke rookie records. He was an absolute machine. But even with his stellar performance, when the dust settled, how did they look in the W-L column?

It's certainly possible that we could turn it around immediately--anything is possible of course. That's why they play the games. But would you bet that other wounded franchises like the Miami Dolphins, Buffalo Bills or Cleveland Browns will suddenly turn the corner?

It seems like lazy, biased reporting. And it may be. But it's safe. And it's safe because it's usually right when talking about organizations like ours.

It's so difficult to turn the ship so quickly, even if you are fortunate enough to have a Cam Newton at the wheel.

While Cam Newton was great last year, the Panthers STILL had a losing record. I'd prefer the Skins look and play a little more like last year's Bengals and RG3 manage the offense the way Andy Dalton did. He doesn't have to be spectacular but if he can move the chains consistently and not turn the ball over at inopportune times like Rex did then I see no reason why we can't win at least 7 or 8 games.

Newton had little to do with the Panthers losing record though, Jimbo. Their defense allowed something like 2 more points per game, on average, than the offense scored and the offense was like #4 in the league in scoring. That was one seriously bad defense.

Excellent post, McD5. I think the team we should hope to emulate is the Rams. Two years of suckage while quietly building a team, find a QB and it all comes together.

Sure it's a long shot, but we can dare to dream. :)

Cowherd doesn't get paid to do that. He gets paid to tell people what they want to hear. And like you say nobody outside of DC is going to expect much from us. So while I won't defend that no-talent hack, I do understand his viewpoint on this one.

Newton had little to do with the Panthers losing record though, Jimbo. Their defense allowed something like 2 more points per game, on average, than the offense scored and the offense was like #4 in the league in scoring. That was one seriously bad defense.

Was just trying to point out that, as great as Newton was, I would rather RG3 manage things the way Andy Dalton did because our TEAM is a lot closer to being last year's Bengals than last year's Panthers.

Here you go Boone. What do I win?

10009pin.jpg

But then there are those that are pumping the Bucs or Seahawks, teams that have been mostly losers in recent years and have a mother lode of questionable personnel moves on their ledger.

The truth is some media feel sorry for these smaller market teams, including Cleveland which may be the worst run sports team after the NBA Bobcats.

They are loathe to criticize them.

Cowherd and others would rather rattle the cage of bigger market teams like the Redskins, Jets, and Dolphins for their shortcomings.

My favorite offseason moment to laugh?

When Mike Holmgren said to the press that the Browns wanted Griffin but the Rams for some reason wouldn't take their picks, even though they were the same number and rounds as Washington's.

Talk about not getting that lovin' feeling........
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Under Gibbs II, from 2004-07, we had 2 playoff appearances in just 4 seasons. Does that not deserve any respect ? Not only from the performance itself, but Snyder's ability to coax Gibbs out of retirement ?
uh, those playoff appearances were awful.

and i guess there is some respect for getting Gibbs out of retirement, but thats a stretch based on how it turned out.

uh, those playoff appearances were awful.

and i guess there is some respect for getting Gibbs out of retirement, but thats a stretch based on how it turned out.

Whoa whoa whoa...slow down. Those playoff appearances weren't awful. Especially considering I still believe the Skins were better than the Seahawks, it's just that Brunell got hurt heading into the playoffs (against the Giants if I recall), and instead of putting the fresh arm Ramsey in, Gibbs stayed loyal to Brunell and his gimped ass. Brunell should habe told Gibbs he was too hurt. The Redskins that year could have also beaten the Steelers in the Superbowl. I also blame Carlos Stonehands.

The team was sizzlin' hot heading into the playoffs after winning 5 in a row(I still remember on Fox NFL Sunday that Terry Bradshaw called it, and he was laughed at).

The lack of respect from a lot of the fanbase towards Gibbs is inexplicable and disgraceful (not directed at you, just in general). Gibbs could easily be considered the greatest ever as he is the only coach to win with multiple QBs and two were only good within his offense.

Yeah, sorry Travis, but I have to agree to a point. Bringing the Redskins back for two playoff appearances, given where we'd been, and given the tenuous talent level - well, I'd say that just buttressed Gibbs legacy, not undermined it. But Beans, I'll also disagree Gibbs should've turned to Ramsey, a nice guy who never proved he could handle pressure of any kind, in the most important of moments is seriously questionable, whether Brunell was gimpy or not. And talk about a lack of respect - Brunell was as much responsible for the Redskins return to 'respectability' as Gibbs was. Brunell did enough to take the Redskins deep in the playoffs - it was his supporting cast that made the mistakes when it counted that kept us from going further.

Somehow, whenever I think of Brunell, in addition to his honorable accomplishments, I can't help remember the Bang cartoon where he attempts to hit the broad side of a barn, can't do it, and Gibbs still defends him. :)
I tried to find it, but apparently it's been deleted from the archives.

Nah - it's still there. Next to the Christmas Charlie Brown parody, one of my favorites.

http://www.bangcartoon.com/2004/passingfancy.htm

Very funny, but not very fair to Brunell, who was a hell of a QB in his younger years, and still mostly got it done when it counted for the Skins. He did one hell of a lot more in Burgundy and Gold than any of the other QB crushes Redskins fans fell in love with, but who never did jack-diddly-squat over the past 20 years.

Another aspect over looked in that playoff run was CP getting all banged up. By the time he got to Seattle he had just run the ball like 5000 times in 6 games. His inability to get going played a huge part in it. I don't remember, but was Ladell Betts even brought in to spell him? I was too busy being carted off to the hospital with a broken arm. :laugh:

Oh and I truly believed we were the team of destiny in 2007, not the Giants. I am not sure if we could have gotten past the Patriots, but I really thought we'd be the team playing against Green Bay to head to the Super Bowl.

Brunell did a lot for this team, no question but even so, the QB position was not one of strength when he was the starter here. He would have been a lot better off if the OL had been better and a big receiver would have helped but Brunell's best days were clearly behind him when Gibbs brought him to DC.

That being said, he was clearly better than Ramsey (who might have turned into something if he hadn't been drafted by a team coached by Spurrier). There wasn't much question about who should have started that playoff game in Seattle and Brunell was the right choice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.