• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Cousins

I don't believe he's even happy to be here. I still don't like this pick at all.

I don't believe he's even happy to be here. I still don't like this pick at all.

He's been captain and starter for the last 3 years. He was hoping to come in to a situation where he'd compete for a starting job. He's a competitor, I'd be disappointed if he wasn't disappointed.

He's been captain and starter for the last 3 years. He was hoping to come in to a situation where he'd compete for a starting job. He's a competitor, I'd be disappointed if he wasn't disappointed.

I agree, I think he was probably initially disappointed that he wasn't picked by someone like the Browns or Dolphins where he'd have a better chance to compete for the starting job, or the Broncos where he could do his apprenticeship under two of the best quarterbacks ever.
Cousins actually reminds me of, dare I say, Rex....very talented but prone to mistakes. They both lack the raw talent of people like RGIII, as does everyone else on the friggin planet, but both have the intelligence and humility to learn from their mistakes. I fear it might be too late for Rex to unlearn his bad habits, but it ain't for young Kirk.
The more I think about it, the more I like the pick. Sure we could have gone the "safer" option and taken a fourth round DB or OL instead, but we also could have taken the safer option and not traded up to get RG3.

Cousins is not going to be the typical "backup underdog fan favorite/hero"
Because Griff is not going to be the typical starter, even if he struggles.
Even tho he hasn't played a down yet, there's a LOT more confidence and love for him, by the fans and staff, not to mention the incredible price we paid for him, than your typical rookie starter, so with that, comes more patience. He will be on a very very long leash. We would be absolutely stupid to beg for a QB change, or make a permanent QB change, in favor of Cousins, within the first 2 years, barring an absolute, complete meltdown by Griff.
We, the fans, nor the coaches/players/owners, will be looking for a change anytime soon. You are absolutely correct, there. The problem, and my only real worry, is our group of lazy, numb-nut local mediots. Followed closely by the national media.

Too stupid to come up with good stories to write about, because it might involve actual work, and thought, they will remain locked and loaded, ready to pounce on any opening to a "QB Controversy". They live for it. And if they can plant the seed of doubt, they will. And they'll feed the animal at every turn. Especially if they're provided any "on the field" ammunition.

A constant barrage of negative, or positive BS by the media, sports or otherwise, over time, can be mind altering for many people. It turned more than half the country against one President, and elected another. It could surely stir up a little old QB controversy. And we may have helped them with the Cousins pick.

If young Robert quickly fulfills expectations of him, it's a non issue. It would simply be, how much might we get for Cousins in a trade 3 yrs from now.

That's what I'm hoping.

I couldn't care less if Cousins is happy to be here. If our GM starts drafting players based on the level of desire they have to be a Washington Redskin then I want a new GM. If they can't act professional and do their best to earn every dollar of the paycheck they're getting then they were never NFL material to begin with.

I hear people say that if Griffin can't take a lil competition then he's not the man for the job- what about Cousins? If he can't accept a pro salary and chance as a backup, where does he get off wanting more? He's been given the opportunity to learn from a HC with a resume for developing QBs, along with another rook so they all start from page 1, Kirk isn't scrambling to catch up on the basics while the starter is in Year5 of NFL Nuance, etc. I can't get too stirred up for Cousins right now.

As for lofty expectations, there is a vast distinction to be made between prattle heard online or from mediots, or simple talk from half-drunk fans with a hardon at a draft party and the real accountable conversations held F2F between football fans that actually come supplied with a clue. BGO has got to be the most uninternetty site going because you'll never hear that dreck here without someone getting savaged for it. Every genuine fan, and to me that means people that have done the work to know what they're talking about as opposed to just any random yokel who bought a hat, understand that the best rook ever is still a rook and he's gonna have to take his lumps. We're gonna have to take our share along with him, but that's the only way things ever get better. Honestly, my own opinion and those that I've heard have been in the .500 give-or-take range with eyes on the future of what might be. I have heard far higher opinions of Griffin from fans of other teams than I have from Skins fans.

/end morning-coffee-rant

Ok, this is a little off-topic (frankly I'm done talking about Cousins. It's just not that big a deal) but an impression I'm getting from this thread is that a) the hype surrounding Griffin is based on reality and b) there will be no backlash on the kid if he doesn't live up to that hype.

I happen to disagree with both of those things. The Griffin hype is absolutely nuts. If you all want to make the claim that BGO is more grounded than the rest of Redskin fandom that's cool. I agree. But that's neither here nor there. The fanbase as a whole has completely gone off the deep end with this kid. And if he doesn't deliver, it's going to swing back. Absolutely it will. In fact, I'd suggest it will be inevitable barring a Cam Newton-type rookie season from Griffin.

There will be a storm. I am absolutely willing to bet a buck on that :). And my main concern is that both Griffin and the coaching staff are able to weather it.

Cousins is not going to be the typical "backup underdog fan favorite/hero"
Because Griff is not going to be the typical starter, even if he struggles.
Even tho he hasn't played a down yet, there's a LOT more confidence and love for him, by the fans and staff, not to mention the incredible price we paid for him, than your typical rookie starter, so with that, comes more patience. He will be on a very very long leash. We would be absolutely stupid to beg for a QB change, or make a permanent QB change, in favor of Cousins, within the first 2 years, barring an absolute, complete meltdown by Griff.

The higher the hype the MORE the patience?

I disagree. I think expectations demand results. I think a heavy price demands results.

Ok, this is a little off-topic (frankly I'm done talking about Cousins. It's just not that big a deal) but an impression I'm getting from this thread is that a) the hype surrounding Griffin is based on reality and b) there will be no backlash on the kid if he doesn't live up to that hype.

I happen to disagree with both of those things. The Griffin hype is absolutely nuts. If you all want to make the claim that BGO is more grounded than the rest of Redskin fandom that's cool. I agree. But that's neither here nor there. The fanbase as a whole has completely gone off the deep end with this kid. And if he doesn't deliver, it's going to swing back. Absolutely it will. In fact, I'd suggest it will be inevitable barring a Cam Newton-type rookie season from Griffin.

There will be a storm. I am absolutely willing to bet a buck on that :). And my main concern is that both Griffin and the coaching staff are able to weather it.

This is one of the few reasons it's good to be a fan living 500 miles away. ;)

Define "storm," brother Henry, and maybe we'll strike that bet. :)

Well no matter what happens I expect the media to jump on every chance to say something negative, and of course the lemming faction will trot right after them, but is that a real barometer for what people think? One of the biggest fallacies ever spoken is that everyone is entitled to their opinion, that's crap, people listen if you know what you're talking about, you get mocked if you don't. Someone who expresses "I know what I think but I don't know why" is doing it wrong.

I absolutely understand why you say that Henry, I just believe that a lot of that is merely noise. The wheat amongst the chaff gets that this will be his rook season no matter what the outcome!

We'll know if Griffin isn't working out here, and that won't be based on any one play or game.

Define "storm," brother Henry, and maybe we'll strike that bet. :)

You and I are both Redskin fans. I think we know what a QB under fire looks like.

Tell you what, if Griffin makes it through this season relatively unscathed, I will happily buy you a beer. You know I'm good for it. :)

I'll even let you define the term.

No Washington QB will ever escape "unscathed." I honestly believe Griffin could throw for 5,000 yards and 40TDs, run for 10 more and there would still be a portion of the fanbase calling for his head because of a few interceptions. Its just the nature of the DC sports fan.

DaveGuy,

I really do think the glow of a joyous offseason has many of us forgetting how ugly things can get when we are in the thick of a gawdawful losing season. Not to sound too jaded and defensive and gunshy or whatever, but we've seen this before. Warm fuzzy feelings about a player can dissipate very quickly during the regular season ... especially when that player is a quarterback.

No Washington QB will ever escape "unscathed." I honestly believe Griffin could throw for 5,000 yards and 40TDs, run for 10 more and there would still be a portion of the fanbase calling for his head because of a few interceptions. Its just the nature of the DC sports fan.

Well, I did say 'relatively' unscathed. :)

Here's the thing... Our fan base is completely capable of making big excuses for a guy they like. Heck, I participated in doing it with Jason Campbell (and sometimes still do). And while I know there will be a few who are down on Griffin no matter what he does or does not do this year, I have a hard time seeing the majority of Skins fans turning on him this first year.

I think you will see them complain about the offensive line and protection Griff is getting, the receivers, the play calling, the field conditions and the Gatorade mix before they complain much about Griffin. At least this year.

Now understand, I am one of those who thinks this kid has a really good chance of living up to or surpassing any reasonable expectations for him so I don't foresee much in the way of fan problems for him anyway.

DaveGuy,

I really do think the glow of a joyous offseason has many of us forgetting how ugly things can get when we are in the thick of a gawdawful losing season. Not to sound too jaded and defensive and gunshy or whatever, but we've seen this before. Warm fuzzy feelings about a player can dissipate very quickly during the regular season ... especially when that player is a quarterback.

I am too old and too jaded not to remember how ugly things can get, but uglier than Wrecks throwin' it away 2X a game? Uglier than JC caught in the headlights? Griffin's charisma will help him through the honeymoon this year and all he will need is one game where he lights it up and people will dismiss the other ones that weren't.

I'll admit to being swept up a bit, maybe for the first time ever by a draft pick, and I'll count on sager voices such as yours to keep me grounded, but I still think things are lookin up in a way we've never seen before.

We now have 2 quarterbacks with NFL skills. When is the last time we could say that?

What Allen and Shanahan have done is make this a much younger and value conscious roster in 2 years.

I think when Shanahan came in at first there was for a short period the 'win now' that he got caught up in with the McNabb and Brown trades.

But since the results there were less than anticipated I think everyone bought back into doings things right, from the ground up.

This year's team has a solid front seven and a talented qb.

Over time those are the cornerstones of winning in this league.

You can swap out the other players as the Steelers have done and stay competitive with that base in place.

From a fan standpoint it's great to be rid of the frontrunners and hot dogs and back to being a roster of hard working players that are focused on their own performance and improvement and not in creating a media personna like Portis and others did in the past.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

The higher the hype the MORE the patience?

I disagree. I think expectations demand results. I think a heavy price demands results.

Bottom line is, when you pay that much for a player, you want to be absolutely sure whether or not it was a waste, before giving up on him and dumping him. So yes, you are more patient with him, and give him a longer leash.
Premature dumping of a player who you spent the farm on = not a wise thing.

Here is an interesting read about Kirk Cousins.

http://mobile.mlive.com/advannarbor/pm_103366/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=29YlwAQn

Starting to think that we have an excellent backup in KC and that will offer the Redskins a couple great advantages in the next few years. First, he could be a terrific long term solution at backup or second, he could fetch a first rounder (or more) in a few years.

Really liking this pick more and more with each passing day. Thinking we got a huge steal in this draft with Cousins.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.