• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Cousins

The higher the hype the MORE the patience?

I disagree. I think expectations demand results. I think a heavy price demands results.

Bottom line is, when you pay that much for a player, you want to be absolutely sure whether or not it was a waste, before giving up on him and dumping him. So yes, you are more patient with him, and give him a longer leash.
Premature dumping of a player who you spent the farm on = not a wise thing.

Look at Alex Smith - the only reason he was still in the LEAGUE was because he was a 1st overall pick. Ryan Leaf got 3 years in the NFL, when everybody knew from the jump that he didn't belong. Tim Couch got FIVE years. David Carr is STILL in the NFL.

Yes...the higher the pick, the longer they get to prove themselves. I think this is compounded by the fact that we gave up so much to select him.

Yea Lanky I hear ya but the question for me there is are the teams showing more patience or the fan bases? I'd say that's the teams and the fan bases haven't necessarily followed suit. I still agree with you that Griffin is going to have an extremely long leash though even from fans.

Yea Lanky I hear ya but the question for me there is are the teams showing more patience or the fan bases? I'd say that's the teams and the fan bases haven't necessarily followed suit. I still agree with you that Griffin is going to have an extremely long leash though even from fans.

Definitely the teams - 49er fans have been calling for Alex Smith's head for quite a few years until this past season.

Yep. hell look at the Giants fanbase, a lot of them wanted Coughlin and Eli gone every year (sans last year) for the last several it seems. I think it prtobably is pretty likely that Skins fans will go all freaky if Griffin has a rough patch but I think the Redskins are smart enough to ignore us.

Yep. hell look at the Giants fanbase, a lot of them wanted Coughlin and Eli gone every year (sans last year) for the last several it seems. I think it prtobably is pretty likely that Skins fans will go all freaky if Griffin has a rough patch but I think the Redskins are smart enough to ignore us.

+1 on the part in bold.

I for one won't go freaky on RGIII. My marker comes when I decide he has top flight talent arond him and the team OUGHT to be winning.

I am of the firm opinion (its on record at least once) that this offense was set up to be successful last year; the one thing holding it back was the quarterback position. If Griffin can 1) get adequate protection and stay on his feet and 2) is as accurate as we've seen on film and read from analysts, there is no reason he won't have succes fairly early. Of course he'll stumble - all QBs stumble a bit, even the established ones from time to time. But he should also put up some rather gaudy numbers.

Yeah, unfortunately, Cam's rookie season set the bar. MANY people, fans and "experts" alike will unfairly compare them. Of course, if young Robert surpasses Cam's 1st year accomplishments, we won't be able to keep most Redskins fans feet on the ground. Here, or anywhere else.

Of course, now Cam has to live up to Cam, too.

Yeah, unfortunately, Cam's rookie season set the bar. MANY people, fans and "experts" alike will unfairly compare them. Of course, if young Robert surpasses Cam's 1st year accomplishments, we won't be able to keep most Redskins fans feet on the ground. Here, or anywhere else.

Of course, now Cam has to live up to Cam, too.

He set the bar, but I don't think Griff has to surpass that bar to be considered successful. I mean, Cam did better than any other rookie QB in NFL history...

So here's a fun question: who has more pressure/expectations?

RGIII or Luck?

He set the bar, but I don't think Griff has to surpass that bar to be considered successful. I mean, Cam did better than any other rookie QB in NFL history...
Oh, I agree he doesn't have to surpass it to be considered successful. But, if he has the average rookie QB season, he will be unfairly compared to Cam's, and to a lesser extent, Dalton's, way above average rookie QB season's, and he will be considered "less than advertised" by many.

Oh, I agree he doesn't have to surpass it to be considered successful. But, if he has the average rookie QB season, he will be unfairly compared to Cam's, and to a lesser extent, Dalton's, way above average rookie QB season's, and he will be considered "less than advertised" by many.

True, although I think he'll more frequently be compared to Luck, seeing as they went 1-2. So even if he has an average rookie season, but Luck does worse, he'll be viewed favorably. But if he does well and Luck does better, then he'll be more likely to get slammed.

So here's a fun question: who has more pressure/expectations?

RGIII or Luck?

Its gotta be Luck, right? Forget all the franchise savior talk some fans are spewing, RGIII is taking over for Rex friggin' Gross, man and John "why is he a QB in the NFL" Beck. I think simple competency at the QB position will be enough to not be strangled by the expectations. Andrew Luck is taking over signal-calling duties from a first-ballot hall of fame QB who played 14 strong years for that franchise. I think he's got the much bigger shoes to fill.

I am of the firm opinion (its on record at least once) that this offense was set up to be successful last year; the one thing holding it back was the quarterback position. If Griffin can 1) get adequate protection and stay on his feet and 2) is as accurate as we've seen on film and read from analysts, there is no reason he won't have succes fairly early. Of course he'll stumble - all QBs stumble a bit, even the established ones from time to time. But he should also put up some rather gaudy numbers.

Yea I'd agree for the most part with one exception. Our depth on the O line was a disaster in waiting. That hurt us as bad as QB play did IMO. If these 3 guys work out and Brown can manage to stay reasonably healthy we should see a major upgrade in that department. Of course Trent needs to stop burning the whacky tobacky but that's not as dependent on good fortune as the other things are.

Only counter I'll throw out LL (though I mostly agree, I think) is that our fanbase is so starved for a real, honest-to-God QB, I think expectations are getting pretty high. Colts fans probably remember that even Peyton looked pretty shaky at first and had a couple of rough years before leading them to the playoffs every single year.

I'm leaning towards Ax's assessment, myself.

Expecations are higher here period.

Redskins fans freak out every time a first or second round pick doesn't leap a building in a single bound during his first rookie camp :laugh:

Then in preseason, the question becomes is 'Player X' going to lead us to a Super Bowl or not? :laugh:

And that's before the guy has even played a down during the regular season.

Just an observation - Luck like Roethlisberger is one ugly mug.

Hard to see even with playoff success that there will be many marketing opportunities for Luck.

Whereas the expectations on that front for Griffin because he has some sizzle and is better spoken are also much higher going in.

Way I see it, RG3 has the better deal. He's coming in on the heels of a 20-year run of inept QB play in this town. All he has to do is show flashes---ANYTHING positive that he does, compared to what's come before, will be seen as a godsend and buy him time. I figure he's got a 2-3 year honeymoon.

Luck, on the other hand, is replacing arguably the best QB of his generation, if not all time. A living legend who happens to have been released in order to make room for this rookie with all the hype. Oh, and a living legend who also happens to still be active, and against whom Luck's every move for the next few years will be compared/measured every single week.

I don't think it's even close.

Om, while I agree with you mostly, don't you think a much larger market with a blood thirsty media will play a part in determining the pressure level placed on Griff as opposed to Indy's media and Luck?

RG3, the Colts have had one bad year but had great qb play for ever decade, we havent had great qb play in almost 20 years. Luck will have some slack, Rg 3 wont

Aren't you backwards? The Colts have had over a decade of fantastic QB play, so the fans expect that. Luck has a lot of work to do to live up to expectations; his predecessor is a first-ballot Hall of Famer!

RG3 can come in here and simply not turn the ball over 2 times a game and he'll be doing better than his predecessor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.