• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Luck vs. RGIII?

Which QB do you WANT under center in 2012?

• Andrew Luck

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Robert Griffin III

Votes: 37 90.2%

• Total voters
Awesome Tweet from Evan Silva that gets me SO PUMPED!

@evansilva said:
Preseason Wk 3 will feature RG3 ripping bombs to Garcon & HankTime while Luck makes awesome checks at the line to hand off to Donald Brown.

The internet has spawned an "either/or" culture that is so deeply ingrained I'm not sure most people are even aware of it. Perhaps it's inevitable that very few people can be openly thrilled with the idea of having either one of these two guys represent their franchise for the next 10-15 years, without having to disparage the other to do so.

Here's the thing:

Andrew Luck is a stud. And smart. And seemingly committed to his craft. He will, in all likelihood, have a long and very successful career in the NFL.

Robert Griffin III is a stud. And smart. And seemingly committed to his craft. He will, in all likelihood, have a long and very successul career in the NFL.

Weird, huh.

Here's the thing:

Andrew Luck is a stud. And smart. And seemingly committed to his craft. He will, in all likelihood, have a long and very successful career in the NFL.

Robert Griffin III is a stud. And smart. And seemingly committed to his craft. He will, in all likelihood, have a long and very successul career in the NFL.

Weird, huh.
So then, it comes down to which one has the hottest woman?

From Neo's link:

21) Robert Griffin III, Washington Redskins: Projecting his selection at No. 2 by Washington. You can't just say he's the next Cam Newton, but you can't say he isn't either. If I thought he would throw for a high completion percentage right off the bat, I'd have him just behind Luck.

I find this weird. Of my few concerns about RG3, completion percentage isn't up there. At all.

Article today on NFL.com about the Skins and their QB Quest. Nothing particularly new or insightful, but there's never a bad day to take a step back and drink in what's about to happen to/for this team. :)

Couple videos and links there you'll want to peruse as well...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...owing-franchise-qb-awaits-them?module=HP11_cp

In the months leading up to the 2006 NFL Draft, Mike Shanahan knew which quarterback he wanted. He did all the homework, watched all the throws. And his team was prepared to trade up in the draft, which it eventually did, to get his man.

But one aspect of his approach back then -- when the Denver Broncos moved from No. 15 to 11 to select Jay Cutler -- differed greatly from this year's strategy as Shanahan's Washington Redskins position themselves to bag a franchise quarterback.

Shanahan never attended Cutler's pre-draft workouts, never talked to him at all, something he unabashedly has done with Robert Griffin III and Andrew Luck. If you wanted to get a photo of Shanahan and Cutler together one month before the draft, it would've required Photoshop. The secrecy was deliberate, too.

"With Cutler, I felt like I'd show my hand," Shanahan said. "This time, I know I'm getting Andrew or Robert. We're not fooling anybody, and we know we're getting one of them."

That might be true. After all, the Redskins are clearly comfortable landing either Griffin or Luck. But that doesn't mean the coming weeks won't be full of delicious intrigue as we wait to see which quarterback the Indianapolis Colts draft first. It also doesn't mean the Redskins don't have a preference between the two.

One team source said he believes there's a "95 percent" chance the Redskins wind up with Griffin. The same source said that's also the preference of plenty of people in the building -- and they aren't convinced Colts owner Jim Irsay will steer away from Luck even if it seems clear the Redskins would prefer Griffin.

That's the beauty of the Redskins' situation: No matter how they play this, people will interpret it as they choose. And no matter what happens, they get Griffin or Luck.

"I've watched every play that both of these quarterbacks have made since they were freshmen," Shanahan said. "I've watched every game, every scenario. I've told everybody I feel like you've got two franchise guys.

"When you make a move to the second pick, you have to feel comfortable with both guys. You've got to be able to say, 'Hey, I feel great.' And, yeah, I've heard a lot of different things. But whatever happens, you've got to be happy with both."

It's a comfortable situation to be in. It's particularly comfortable since the team was able to lessen the burden of its lost draft picks by adding two proven wide receivers in free agency (Pierre Garcon and Josh Morgan). That, however, doesn't mean the games are over.

As Irsay continues to be clear with his intentions that he'll thoroughly evaluate both -- noting in a recent tweet that the team remains "open-minded" even if things have "always pointed toward (Luck)" -- this could become increasingly interesting if there's a growing sense Irsay will draft Griffin.

Team sources currently believe, although not specifically told by Griffin, that he does very much want to play for the Redskins. One team source believes he'd prefer it. Hey, maybe he was just being nice, but two weeks ago, Griffin was even signing Redskins helmets at a Washington-area event.

If that's the case, if signs point toward a real possibility the Colts are interested in Griffin, could the Redskins eventually begin to recruit Griffin? Perhaps even to the point where they push for him to make a power play if Irsay decides to favor him? That's where this could get interesting...

Rest at the link.

I already have RG3 as the Redskins QB... IMO its already a foregone conclusion.. And its nothing else any one else can tell me..

Last edited:
Article today on NFL.com about the Skins and their QB Quest. Nothing particularly new or insightful, but there's never a bad day to take a step back and drink in what's about to happen to/for this team. :)

Couple videos and links there you'll want to peruse as well...

the kid is going to turn this franchise around.. we're about to entire football paradise.. :wings:

Redskins Meeting with both Griffin and Luck today in Washington

The Washington Redskins are scheduled to meet with both Robert Griffin III and Andrew Luck today to prepare for this month’s NFL Draft, according to ESPN.

The Redskins are expected to meet with Griffin, who is already in Washington, on Tuesday afternoon. Luck is expected to fly into Washington from Indianapolis and meet with the team tonight.

More at the above link...

Etcetera...

Andrew Luck Visits Indianapolis Two Weeks Before Draft: Fan's Reaction

Andrew Luck was in Indianapolis on April 10 visiting with the team most likely to select him in the draft. The Indianapolis Colts hold the first overall pick in the 2012 NFL draft and appear destined to select Luck as their next quarterback. This visit could prove to be the final step necessary before the team makes their decision on the pick.

Indianapolis already saw Luck at his pro day and also conducted a private workout of Luck on April 3 on the Stanford campus.

Following the visit, Jim Irsay tweeted: "Met with A Luck#12 n Indy 2day for 3 hrs;it's easy 2c why the #1 pick n this Stanford phenom has been synonymous with each other 4over 2 yrs".

Irsay's twitter account has been a source of breaking news for Colt fans everywhere over the past year. If he's this enamored with Luck, the next move is to announce the teams intentions and sign him to a contract. It's the move every Colt fan is eagerly awaiting and wants to see. Of course, fans hardly get what they want when they want it. After such a difficult offseason, Irsay owes a little something to the fans though. A great move would be to decide on Luck, sign him to a contract and have him in Indianapolis on draft day to attempt to ignite the fan base.

I was sold on Luck long ago but became even more excited recently when reading Tom Moore's comments about the quarterback. Moore praised Luck and said that he would be a special player in the league. At this time, nobody knows if Luck will turn out to be a Pro Bowl quarterback in the NFL. Colt fans are ready to watch him develop and find out if he someday will. It's a new era in Indianapolis and the next step toward "Building the Monster" is drafting Andrew Luck and getting a franchise quarterback. It seems Jim Irsay already knows that. At the latest, everyone will find out on April 26.

Is it just me or is Irsay's Twitterspeak total douchery? Ugh.

Irsay is stupid. He has no business tweeting about what team is doing or thinking. I can understand wanting to ignite and connect with the fan base.

He really needs to study Snyder, Jones, and Kraft on how to market a team.

Yeah.

I would honestly be totally fine with Luck. In fact I'm one of the four votes up there.

However, Irsay is acting like he's trying to decide who he's going with to the prom, right down to the dopey texting shortcuts.

What his father did to Baltimore was the lowest of the low. Was really proud of Dan Snyder when he made Art Modell and his underlings park on the fringes of FedEx Field and walk their way in several years ago. He should extend the same courtesy to Irsay.

Athlon Sports weighs in...thoroughly.

2012 NFL DRAFT: ANDREW LUCK VS. ROBERT GRIFFIN III

Stanford’s Andrew Luck and Baylor’s Robert Griffin III are poised to become just the fifth pair of quarterbacks to be selected No. 1 and 2 overall in the draft since the NFL-AFL merger in 1970. Luck and RG3 are set to join Tim Couch and Donovan McNabb (1999), Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf (1998), Drew Bledsoe and Rick Mirer (1993), and Jim Plunkett and Archie Manning (1971) in history.

Indianapolis Colts fans have been preparing for Luck’s arrival since the once proud franchise staggered to an 0–13 start with Peyton Manning sidelined due to multiple neck surgeries. Meanwhile, the Washington Redskins’ faithful have only recently locked in on RG3 — following a bold trade that sent the Skins’ first- and second-round picks in 2012 (Nos. 6 and 39 overall), as well as their first-rounders in 2013 and 2014 to the St. Louis Rams in exchange for the No. 2 overall pick.

Athlon Sports takes a look at the tale of the tape, pitting Luck vs. RG3 in every measurable and intangible attribute necessary to be a franchise quarterback at the next level.

PEDIGREE

LUCK: Born Sept. 12, 1989 in Washington, D.C., to Oliver and Kathy Luck. Father played quarterback at West Virginia and in the NFL for five years with the Houston Oilers, and is currently the athletic director at WVU.

RG3: Born Feb. 12, 1990 in Japan, where Robert Jr. and Jacqueline Griffin were stationed. Both parents are retired sergeants in the U.S. Army. Griffin is also recently engaged to Baylor’s Rebecca Liddicoat.

EDGE: Both have stable, two-parent homes and are essentially the same age. But LUCK comes from NFL bloodlines, which is always an advantage.

STATURE

LUCK: 6’4”, 234 pounds, 32 5/8” arms

RG3: 6’2”, 223 pounds, 32 1/4” arms

EDGE: Both have the frame necessary to play quarterback in the NFL, where quarterbacks range from defensive end-sized Cam Newton (6’5”, 248 pounds, 33 3/4” arms) to barely big enough Drew Brees (6’0”, 209 pounds, 31 1/4” arms). LUCK has prototypical size.

FOOTBALL IQ

LUCK: Raised by a former quarterback father and coached by 15-year NFL veteran signal-caller Jim Harbaugh. The NFL Coach of the Year and current San Francisco 49ers boss, “Captain Comeback” was instrumental in Luck’s development at Stanford, where Harbaugh coached from 2007-10.

In his final season at Stanford, Luck did his best Peyton Manning impression at the line of scrimmage. “We put the formation out there and let Andrew call the play. It’s 100 percent up to him to get us in the right play,” explained Cardinal coach David Shaw, who was Luck’s offensive coordinator prior to taking over the top spot.

RG3: Orchestrated Art Briles’ spread offense to perfection. Not to imply RG3 is a “system quarterback,” but Kevin Kolb (2003-06) and Case Keenum (2007) also put up video game gaudy numbers in Briles’ quick-strike attack when he coached at Houston.

EDGE: LUCK ran a pro-style offense in which he was the centerpiece play-caller and playmaker, a la Manning.

LATE-GAME LEADERSHIP

LUCK: Showed the heart of a champion in 2011 during a triple-overtime win over USC (56–48). Luck threw a costly pick-six to give the Trojans the lead with 3:08 remaining in regulation before marching the Cardinal downfield to tie the game with 38 ticks on the clock — before leading three TD drives in the overtime win. In 2010, Luck led a nine-play, 62-yard drive in the final 1:08 to set up a game-winning FG to beat USC (37–35) as time expired, and had a fourth-quarter comeback to take down Arizona State (17–14).

RG3: Proved to be a winner of the highest order in 2011, pulling off four come-from-behind wins in the fourth quarter or overtime — against TCU (50–48) in the season’s Friday night opener; at Kansas (31–30) after a three-TD fourth-quarter rally to force overtime; against No. 5 Oklahoma (45–38) on a thrilling 34-yard TD pass with eight seconds to play, resulting in Baylor’s highest-ranked upset win since 1985; and in his final collegiate contest in the Alamo Bowl against Washington (67–56). In 2010, Griffin came from behind at Texas (30–22) for Baylor’s first win in Austin since 1991.

EDGE: Both have had late-game heroics. Luck had fewer shining moments in the fourth quarter — due in large part to the talented BCS bowl (Orange in 2010, Fiesta in 2011) teams he played on. At times, RG3 seemingly was a one-man show, willing the Bears to victory.

ACCURACY

LUCK: Owns the Pac-12 records for both single-season (71.3 percent) and career (67.0 percent) completion percentage.

RG3: Ranks third all-time in single-season (72.4 percent) and sixth all-time in career completion percentage (67.1 percent) in Big 12 history.

EDGE: Both LUCK and RG3 have shown touch on short and intermediate routes; the difference is negligible.

ARM STRENGTH

LUCK: Was famously criticized by Super Bowl-winning quarterback and CBS analyst Phil Simms. “The one thing I don’t see, I just don’t see big-time NFL throws. I don’t care what anybody says. I’ve watched a lot of him. He never takes it and rips it in there. And you can say what you want but, man, you’ve got to be able to crease that ball every once in a while,” said Simms. “There’s not a lot of rotation on the ball and there’s not a tremendous amount of power.”

RG3: Was able to utilize vertical deep threat — and likely NFL first-round pick — receiver Kendall Wright, who had at least one catch of 40 or more yards in six games and nine scoring grabs covering 30 or more yards last year.

EDGE: RG3 showed the ability and willingness to grip-it and rip-it downfield on a consistent basis. In fairness, Luck might have done the same if he had been fortunate enough to play with an NFL-caliber wideout with high-end speed.

HAND SIZE

LUCK: 10”

RG3: 9 1/2”

EDGE: Protecting the football in the NFL can never be undervalued. It only helps to have big mits when trying to hold on to the ball in sloppy conditions or when being blindsided by a 300-pounder. LUCK has hands in the Drew Brees (10 1/4”) or Brett Favre (10 3/8”) range, while RG3 is in fringy Daunte Culpepper (9 1/2”) or Alex Smith (9 3/8”) territory.

MEDICAL HISTORY

LUCK: Missed a Sun Bowl loss to Oklahoma (31–27) as a redshirt freshman following the 2009 season due to surgery on his broken right index finger.

RG3: Granted medical redshirt after suffering a season-ending knee injury in the third game of his true sophomore season in 2009.

EDGE: LUCK only missed one game during his Stanford career; RG3 missed most of the 2009 season.

ATHLETICISM

LUCK: Ran a 4.67 in the 40-yard dash, had a 36” vertical leap and a 10’4” broad jump at the Scouting Combine.

RG3: Ran a quarterback-record 4.41 in the 40, had a 39” vertical and 10’ broad jump at the Scouting Combine.

EDGE: Although Luck’s numbers were eerily similar to Cam Newton’s (4.59 in the 40, 35” vertical, 10’6” broad), RG3 dazzled the crowd in Indianapolis. Both are elite athletes compared to the majority of their quarterback peers.

COLLEGE PRODUCTION

LUCK: Passed for 9,430 yards, 82 TDs and 22 INTs. Rushed for 957 yards and seven TDs. Posted a 31–7 career record (1–1 in bowls). Won Walter Camp Foundation Player of the Year, Maxwell Trophy, Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award and Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Year.

RG3: Passed for 10,366 yards, 78 TDs and 17 INTs. Rushed for 2,254 yards and 33 TDs. Posted a 23–18 career record (1–1 in bowls). Won Heisman Trophy, Davey O’Brien Award, Manning Award and Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year. Graduated with degree in political science.

EDGE: RG3 barely edges Luck in terms of complete body of work; the Heisman Trophy poses as a powerful tiebreaker.

MARKETABILITY

LUCK: Signed with Nike; first ad explains that Andrew’s hard work “Makes His Luck.” Since shaving his 2011 offseason neck beard, Luck has been as clean cut as any college kid in the country.

RG3: Signed with adidas; wore gold adizero 5-Star shoes at the Combine and a “No Pressure, No Diamonds” adidas t-shirt while working out at his Pro Day and as a spectacled fan at the Baylor-Kentucky NCAA Tournament matchup in Atlanta. Also famously wore Superman socks to the Heisman Trophy ceremony in New York.

EDGE: LUCK probably has a higher Q Score due to his extended time in the spotlight, but RG3 has quickly established himself as a stylish brand to be reckoned with.

Both are extremely polished dealing with media and fans, understand exactly what is expected of them on and off the field, and appear to be mature enough to handle the responsibility of being the face of a nine-figure franchise.

VERDICT

Although the race to No. 1 is closer than anyone would have predicted at this time last year, LUCK remains the top quarterback in the 2012 NFL Draft. In the areas where RG3 has a clear edge, the gap is not significant enough to surpass Luck as the top passer available. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts where Luck is concerned; he is a worthy heir to Manning and deserves to be the No. 1 pick of the Indianapolis Colts on April 26.

by Nathan Rush

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.