• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins FA Signings Thread

Thanks to Mara/Goodell, we're really scraping the bottom of the barrel. About all you can say about Williams and Torrence is that they're "functional". IF they make the team, our Special Teams will get better. ;)

Williams has been a regular starter in the NFL for most of his career. He was behind some pretty good players in SF last year on a top defense.

The Lee and Torrence signings to me more fit the mold of depth/ST moves.

Graziano at ESPN had it right - the Redskins are doing what they can mow to solidify secondary and depth there before a big move for offense in the draft with Griffin and the middle round picks.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I still think at least a 3rd or 4th round pick will be used on Defense. Can't wait to see how that plays out. Besides RGIII, you gotta figure at least four of those picks will have a good shot at contributing in the short term. Gonna be a LONG 15 days.

Very good signing. He has learned some lessons and is a solid player. It's obvious that we will not be using a draft pick on a safety.

Very good signing. He has learned some lessons and is a solid player. It's obvious that we will not be using a draft pick on a safety.

Not sure how I feel about him. IIRC, I think he has missed an awful lot of tackles over the past three years. Hope I'm wrong, or at least he cover well...

According to the Lakeland, FL Ledger website a bum shoulder may not be the only "question" about Mr. Jackson.

Bucs Release Tanard Jackson

TAMPA | The Tampa Bay Bucs have decided to cut ties with safety Tanard Jackson.

Jackson, who was suspended twice by the NFL for violating the league's substance-abuse policy, was released by the team Tuesday after failing a physical.

Jackson had off-season shoulder surgery and has not fully recovered.

“I realize it's a business,” Jackson told the Tampa Bay Times. “It's hard to be too upset with the decision because of what I've been through.”

The Bucs said this had nothing to do with Jackson's previous issues with substance abuse and they are not aware of Jackson failing any tests or any upcoming discipline from the league.

“What's important to us as an organization is the growth of our football players and how they handle, on and off the field, becoming the best Buccaneer possible,” Bucs General Manager Mark Dominik said. “That's what we're looking for. To us, 'growth' means becoming the best Buccaneer you can possibly be, and we want the growth of this football team to accelerate. That's what it's about.”

The move will save the team about $2 million in salary-cap space.

A fourth-round draft choice out of Syracuse in 2007, Jackson quickly became a playmaker for the Bucs.

In 56 games, all starts, Jackson had 324 tackles, 31 passes broken up and 10 interceptions.

But Jackson also had his troubles.

He was suspended for four games in 2009 for violation of the league's substance abuse policy. In 2010, he was suspended for a year for a second violation.

He returned following the fifth game of last year but dealt with hamstring issues.

Link: http://www.theledger.com/article/20120410/NEWS/120419977

Uh...Fred? Trent? Need some company?

I'm scratching my head over this one as of right now. I'd like to give the benefit of the doubt here but I'm having a bit of trouble.

I figure we signed him because Morris knows him from their time together in TB and is comfortable he will be a contributor.

Come on folks. With no cap space to work with and the top picks spent on Griffin, the Redskins have to look for talent in 2012 where they can find it.

Jackson has talent. The team is certainly not taking any more risk on him on a short deal than Cedric Griffin who has had 2 ACL reconstructions or on DeJon Gomes who appears raw and some time away from being a starting caliber safety.

Williams and Jackson along with Meriweather give the Redskins some breathing room and allow the team to focus on other need positions in the draft.

You know why I liked the Leigh Torrence signing? Because it indicates the team is finally ready to cut ties with Byron Westbrook.

Torrence has not been a starter for NO but the team was able to use him in certain situations as a corner blitzer and dime back in packages where he was effective.

Westbrook has failed as a returner and as a nickel/dime back when called upon in the past and doesn't seem at 28 to have any upside.

I like it....Chris Wilson is a guy I liked all along.

Back in preseason 2 years ago, he and Robt. Henson had a half against Arizona where the 2 of them just dominated, and I remember writing about the possibilities of these young pups coming on.

Was very disappointed when Henson was lost to injury and never recovered, and surprised a bit that Wilson never quite seemed to turn the corner. I'd viewed him as a kind of Monte Coleman Lite candidate ...

Good to see him get a 2nd chance and hope he makes the most of it.

The problem is Wilson projected here to a 4-3 when he came to Washington.

I don't see him as an OLB in the 3-4. Kerrigan, Orakpo, White and Jackson are all in the 255-265 range.

As I recall Wilson is 240-245.

I don't see him holding up in the run game.

Like I said in the other thread, he's a package and special teams hopeful. That's all.

Hard to argue against the merits of at least giving him a look, brother.

We have already started up this car and driven it around the neighborhood.

Those tires were kicked, my friend.

What we don't know out here curbside is the precise reason we let the car go initially, hermano.

At least I don't. Dost thou?

What we don't know out here curbside is the precise reason we let the car go initially, hermano.

At least I don't. Dost thou?

There are SO many things in this post that I'm having a tough time wrapping my head around.

Starts with a mechanic allusion.....runs right into some spanish lingo.....then finishes up with some Olde English. Oh, and it's all in reference to a DE/OLB in the game of American Football - not the European type.

:claps:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.