• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What's for Dinner?

Flew in some lobsters and mussels from Maine. Also had salad (spring greens, red onion and feta) and redskin (what other kind?) potatoes.

Homemade gnocchi with homemade marinara. Great stuff there buddy. It's like the anit-Atkins diet. Potato based pasta? Don't mind if I do :D

Had our first crawfish burl of the season on Saturday, it was a huge success. Boiled about 230lbs for around 50 people (and demolished it all save for 4 survivors we found Sunday). LOVE this time of year!

Tequila marinated grilled shrimp and scallops. My son made spaetzle as a side dish. This was dinner last night.

Marinated some London Broil with soy sauce, maple syrup, worchestershire sauce and garlic, then pan seared it and roasted it for 20 minutes. Medium rare perfection! Mashed some potatoes with some Sante Fe cream cheese goodness. Em roasted some kale, and made some green beans and red peppers. Good eats!

Sounds pretty damn good. Did some barbecued chicken with homemade sauce here.

Splurged this evening. Rotisserie chicken, health salad, garden burgers. Raspberry cheesecake.

Went to church (yes, I do that :)), am now listening to Ole Blue Eyes while making Franch Toast for lunch.

Life is pretty good.

I think I'll enjoy this amazing Houston weather and grill myself a Ribeye tonight. I'm a minimalist when it comes to delicious Texas cow, so I'll probably just throw salt & pepper and a little EVO on top. Maybe I'll grill some zucchini or eggplant to go with it.

Going to eat lightly tonight. Going to Bonefish grill tomorrow night for step-father's bday.

So, last weekend bought a 10 lb pork shoulder just on an impulse buy. I have no idea how to cook this thing - although my gut tells me to turn it into homemade NC barbecue. Thing is, other than cooking it low and slow for hours and hours, I've never tried to cook a big ol' piece of hog like this :) To complicate things, it'll be going on a gas grill. I can simulate a smoker to an extent. So I need some advice. Rub, or no rub? Baste or no baste? Foil or no foil? Treading into unknown territory here ...

I would definitely rub it, Boone. In fact, I like to rub pork shoulder then wrap it tightly in cellophane and let it sit in the fridge for a couple of days before cooking it.

I can't help so much with the other questions because I have done all of mine in the slow cooker so far. Have not tried them on the grill yet.

Yeah, you've got the right idea. Definitely give it a rub, I would tent it with some foil, and baste occassionally (once every hour and a half or so) with some apple cider vinegar.

Oh, and please post when you are starting this. We are all gonna want to time it and be there at the perfect time.

There's a lot of fat on the exterior. Guessing I should trim that down? I'm hoping I can get it cooked so well that it just falls apart and is easy to shred.... I'll definitely do a rub and some kind of hourly basting...

My brother, who does a lot of pork shoulder, told me explicitly to NOT trim the fat before cooking. In fact, he recommended that I start it with the fat up so it would melt down into the meat. After it comes off the fire is when he recommended trimming the fat off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.