• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, The Mock Drafts, 2017 (Continual Updates)

Washington Redskins‏@Redskins
#Redskins sign LB Nico Marley.

The roster is now at 89, but will be at 90 when Fabian Moreau signs.

Has The Bruce even attempted a contract proposal with Kirk lately?

Redskins website lists Nico @ 5' 8"/ 200 lbs. Is that accurate? Somewhat under prototypical size for a LB...

It is accurate. His father was also an undersized but very effective lb at the University of Miami. I can't imagine that Nico can make it at the pro level.

As long as they keep him away from Trent Williams. He's had enough "Bob Marley" during his time with the Redskins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Free Agency, The Mock Drafts, 2017 (Continual Updates)​

Greetings to all. Summer is getting closer and OTAs arrive next week. As we continue to look at free agency and the recent draft, today will be devoted to evaluating players who could take a significant step forward this coming season.

These evaluations are highly subjective, but we will attempt to look into the future and see if these players can take the next step and have an impactful 2017 for the Redskins. Who will shine in 2017? Who will be playing for a new contract? Will there be any surprises in this group?

When OTAs arrive in the coming days, BBQ will provide updates and observations as they become available.

Let’s get right to it.

Stepping Forward In 2017

Spencer Long, C
He switched to center last season and did a better than expected job. Look for Long to solidify his role and be even better in 2017. There is a good chance of him being extended next offseason.
BBQ’s Outlook: Long will be starting at center for the next few years.

Kendall Fuller, CB
Fuller could make huge strides in 2017 after struggling last season. He is now fully healed from a knee injury and has his college defensive backs coach, one of the best in the game, back on the same sideline.
BBQ’s Outlook: His impact will be at the slot/nickel. Look for a huge jump in production and effectiveness.

Josh Norman, CB
No one disputes that he had a good 2016, but it should’ve been better. Look for new defensive backs coach Torrian Gray to get the most out of his players, including Norman. It is likely we will see far fewer penalties, almost no antics, and improved concentration.
BBQ’s Outlook: He will become the true shutdown corner that the Redskins envisioned when signing him.

Ziggy Hood, DE
He had a respectable 2016 after many pundits had written his football obituary. Quality changes on the line should help Hood to play more in his natural position and he could have a positive impact in 2017.
BBQ’s Outlook: He will still be a rotational player, but will have the same impact as Ricky Jean Francois – maybe somewhat less.

Phil Taylor, DT
Reports suggest Taylor is fully healed after a couple of seasons with frustrating injuries. The Redskins are hoping he can play a qualitative fifteen or twenty plays a game. If he can stay healthy, the big defensive tackle could do so.
BBQ’s Outlook: We want to believe and the optimism is there, but BBQ thinks his impact will fall short of hopes and expectations.

Will Compton, ILB
This may not be a popular opinion or received very well, but Compton could see a better 2017. He will be in a contract year. He is a very hard worker and is always looking to improve. Don’t be overly surprised if he takes a couple of steps forward.
BBQ’s Outlook: No one questions Compton’s work ethic or intelligence, but we think he has reached his ceiling.

Nate Sudfeld, QB
There is some chatter that Sudfeld could jump to number two on the depth chart this season. Jay Gruden really likes him and the Indiana product could be poised to take the next step. Look for him to get plenty of playing time in the preseason.
BBQ’s Outlook: We’re unsure. Let’s see how he does in the preseason. BBQ does believe he can take the next step.

Su’a Cravens, SS
Su’a Cravens had a good rookie campaign and as a true strike safety, he could have a breakout season. Armed with the new highly acclaimed defensive back coach, look for him to take major steps. The sky is the limit.
BBQ’s Outlook: Cravens will be going to what is his best position and where he can be the most productive.

Morgan Moses, RT
Moses recently signed a new, generous contract. Don’t expect him to regress at all. He is another player who could have a breakout season and truly give the right tackle position the best player it has seen since Jon Jansen.
BBQ’s Outlook: The ginormous Moses is set to become the best right tackle in the NFL.

Jamison Crowder, WR
Look for the man in the slot to have a huge season. He could go over 1,000 yards and catch eight to ten touchdown passes. He will help to move the chains as needed and you know he will certainly get an extension and nice contract next winter/spring.
BBQ’s Outlook: He will have a great season, but fall just short of 1,000 yards. However, the heir apparent to DeSean Jackson will have at least eight touchdowns.

Matt Jones, RB
We had him on another list – one that said he is all but done with the Redskins. That is probably true, but what if he stands out in OTAs? Then training camp? And the preseason? Anything can happen and that is why we mention it. Yes, anything is possible, but not likely.
BBQ’s Outlook: Sure, anything is possible. BBQ puts the chances of Jones being on the roster in September at 5%. That is an optimistic outlook.

That concludes our offseason examinations of the new draft picks, the UDFAs, the free agents, the veterans, and key players for 2017. If you missed the other four evaluations (draft picks, UDFAs, free agents, veterans), feel free to scroll back in this thread to the last couple of weeks or so and see what we posted.

OTAs start soon and we’ll have daily reports during these sessions. When OTAs end in mid June, BBQ will have the first roster of fifty-three and practice squad prediction. Then we will take a break of about five weeks. When training camp arrives we will have daily updates and additional roster predictions. We’ll also post any free agency updates as needed.

See you as we go along.

Hail To The Redskins!

Cool stuff, BB.
Any chance we could see a projected or a "mock" Depth Chart, with updates as it changes ?

Also, looking forward to an eventual outlook on Junior Gallette.
Wouldn't it be nice if he turned out to be our Secret Weapon #9 ?
No-one is expecting him to be a force this year, but imagine if he came out of nowhere and surprised everyone.

Last edited:
Cool stuff, BB.
Any chance we could see a projected or a "mock" Depth Chart, with updates as it changes ?

Also, looking forward to an eventual outlook on Junior Gallette.
Wouldn't it be nice if he turned out to be our Secret Weapon #9 ?
No-one is expecting him to be a force this year, but imagine if he came out of nowhere and surprised everyone.

I will have the first roster prediction in mid June after the final OTA. Practice squad too. I'll continue to update it during training camp and the preseason. It has everything you seek.

I posted about Galette in one of the evaluations recently. You can scroll back over the last couple of weeks and see what was posted. I thought about putting him in here, but that earlier evaluation was enough and it would've been repetitive in today's posting.

Burgundy Burner needs an "online tip jar", for his great online service :)
Any "tip" would be embarrassingly inadequate.

BB is a priceless treasure. I know I'm lucky to be privy to his works.

But, like the crackhead, I only want more.

Thank you, a thousand times, thank you, BB.

What else you got ? ;)

Good notes.

I have gotten off the merry-go-round regarding Kirk Cousins' contract. He's signed for 2017 and for 2018 we will see.

Time to concentrate on the rest of the roster and developing that core complement that ANY quarterback we have here in Washington in 2018 will need to be successful.

I know the Redskins don't have the 'bona fides' as an organization to always be given the benefit of the doubt given the history, but it IS POSSIBLE for the Redskins to start the 2018 season with a new quarterback taken in the April draft in Round 1 or 2 or another option that turns out keep us competitive.

Just a thought for the haters.

Free Agency, The Mock Drafts, 2017 (Continual Updates)​

Greetings from BBQ. Summer is trying to bust down the doors of Spring and OTAs start tomorrow. Training camp will be here before you know it. Today, and for the rest of the offseason, we combine the free agency and draft/UDFA portions of this blog. It will only be updated now when there are changes to the roster.

After training camp opens, BBQ will have periodic roster/practice squad predictions. Feel free to offer your opinions and predictions. Who will make the roster? Who will get cut? Will there be any surprises? Will we add any other free agents?

We continue to list candidates that could be released, but will discontinue it after OTAs. However, we will also no longer list players from last year that have not been re-signed.

We take the latest chatter from Redskins Park and media pundits as BBQ tries to formulate what could happen in the coming days, weeks and months.

Free Agents Obtained:
A.J. Francis, DT
Phil Taylor, DT
Earl Wolff, SS
Terrell McClain, DE/DT
Stacy McGee, DE/DT
D.J. Swearinger, FS
Terrelle Pryor, WR
Chris Carter, LB
Brian Quick, WR
Zach Brown, ILB
John Kling, OT

Free Agents Re-signed:
Nick Sundberg, LS
Junior Galette, OLB
Vernon Davis, TE
Kirk Cousins, QB (Could still get a long term deal)
Ziggy Hood, DE
Vinston Painter, OT
Ty Nsehke, OT
Chris Thompson, RB
Dashaun Phillips, CB
Will Compton, ILB

Contract Extension:
Morgan Moses, RT

Draft Picks:
Jonathan Allen, DE, Alabama (Signed)
Ryan Anderson, OLB, Alamama (Signed)
Fabian Moreau, CB, UCLA
Samaje Perine, RB, Oklahoma (Signed)
Montae Nicholson, FS, Michigan St. (Signed)
Jeremy Sprinkle, TE, Arkansas (Signed)
Chase Roullier, G/C, Wyoming (Signed)
Robert Davis, WR, Georgia St. (Signed)
Josh Harvey-Clemons, LB/SS, Louisville (Signed)
Josh Holsey, CB, Auburn (Signed)

Undrafted Free Agents:
Tevin Homer, CB
Brandon Banks, DE
Ondre Pipkins, DT
Tyler Catalina, G
Kyle Kalis, G
Nico “Muggsy Bogues” Marley, LB
Fish Smithson, FS
Levern Jacobs, WR
James Quick, WR
Zach Pascal, WR

Possible Cuts, Cap Savings, Candidates For Restructure:
Will Blackmon, FS - (Unknown - $1.0 Mil saved if cut)
Derek Carrier, TE - (Possibly cut - $1.075 Mil saved if cut)
Matt Jones, RB – (Very likely cut - $1.218 Mil saved if cut)
Ryan Grant, WR – (Possibly cut – $690K saved if cut)
Mack Brown, RB – (Unknown - $540K saved it cut)
Zach Vigil, ILB – (Unknown - $615K saved if cut)
Matt Ioannidis, DE/DT – (Unknown - $540K saved it cut)
DeAngelo Hall, FS – (Possibly cut - $4.25 Mil saved if cut)
Niles Paul, TE – (Unknown - $2.0 Mil saved if cut)

Offseason Updates:
The Redskins have announced the offseason practice schedule:
OTAs
May 23-25
May 30-June 1
June 5-8
Veterans Mini Camp
June 13-15

Training camp opens July 27 in Richmond, VA.

It is highly unlikely that the Redskins bring back the following players: Greg Toler, Duke Ihenacho, Cullen Jenkins, Donte Whitner, and Kedric Golston.

Maurice Harris continues to receive praise this offseason from the front office and coaches. He was clutch on a substantial number of third down conversions in 2016. Look for him to have an increased role in 2017.

UDFA guard Tyler Catalina is turning heads at Redskins Park. It’s too early to anoint him as a candidate to make the roster, but he is a player to watch.

The 49ers worked out former Redskin Kedric Golston late last week. No word on a potential signing.

Golston was the last remaining player for the Redskins to be a teammate with Sean Taylor.

The Redskins now have about $4.1M in cap space for 2017. If that amount carries over to 2018, they will have nearly $59M in cap space. Add at least $12M to that figure for next year with the expected cap increase.

Rich Tandler thinks the chances of signing Kirk Cousins to a long term deal by July 15 is less than 10%. John Keim puts it at less than 50%. Both reporters believe that they will part ways next offseason.

If the Redskins are looking for a last minute free agent or two, here are a few to consider:
Dan Williams, DT – No more than a one year deal should be considered. No guarantees of making the roster, but he could be worth a shot.
Gerald Hodges, ILB – A team friendly three or four year deal is reasonable. He is young, very good in run support, and solid in pass coverage.
Dan Carpenter, K – This would be to motivate Dustin Hopkins only. Carpenter would be released late in the preseason, but there is nothing wrong with giving the starting kicker a little extra in the motivation department.
Gary Barnridge, TE – If the Redskins move on from Niles Paul and are willing to carry four tight ends, then Barnridge makes a lot of sense. He is still very productive.

Personal Thoughts:
BBQ is not sure that D.J. Swearinger is the answer at free safety. He is more of a strike and could struggle at times with his somewhat new position. He has played free when needed and had mixed results.

I think it is possible that Fabian Moreau and Montae Nicholson start the 2017 season on the PUP list or go to IR – a redshirt season.

The defensive line will not be greatly improved in 2017. Sure, Jonathan Allen is a significant upgrade, but that makes the line only marginally better. The new players and holdovers are no better than what the Redskins had last year. I expect more troubles and struggles on the line.

BBQ is mildly surprised that Gerald Hodges is still a free agent. He is a good inside linebacker and would represent an upgrade at 26 years of age. His contract would be reasonable.

BBQ now believes that DeAngelo Hall will be released. There are many defensive backs on the team and he would be a cap casualty.

BBQ also thinks the middle linebacker position will continue to be a weakness. Zach Brown is an obvious upgrade, but Will Compton has reached his ceiling in our opinion.

When looking at some of our statements about the Redskins defense, we think it will be a middle of the pack unit. That represents an upgrade over last year.

We will continue to have updates as needed.

See you as we go along.

Hail To The Redskins!

When looking at some of our statements about the Redskins defense, we think it will be a middle of the pack unit. That represents an upgrade over last year.

That all makes sense. I am hopeful for something slightly better than average.
I can't remember where I recently heard it, or who said it, but someone ( I believe who was a team staffer in the NFL) said you mainly just need a playmaker at each of the 4 "levels" of the defense. We now have that at 3 of them - DLine, LB, CB, but not so sure about Safety.
If one of the safeties we have turns to be that role, I think we could have a better than average defense.

Looking forward to the competition at Camp.
All of the above "levels" of defense will have some intense competition, especially linebacker (both inside and outside LB). What we do on the inside with Compton, Foster, Brown, and Anderson, and the final result of that group should be interesting.

So, speaking of LB's I was a little unsure of this comment.

BBQ also thinks the middle linebacker position will continue to be a weakness. Zach Brown is an obvious upgrade, but Will Compton has reached his ceiling in our opinion.

Maybe I was wrong in my projection, but I envisioned that eventually it would be Brown and Anderson in the middle. And that actually seemed like a strength, and not a weakness.
So isn't Anderson expected to play in the middle ? I am assuming based on your comment that either he will end up playing outside, or he may take time to develop into a force on the NFL level ? Because everyone is expecting him to be something special somewhere in the backers.

Last edited:
Oh wow, not sure how I made that error. Glad you made that correction on my thinking.
So that means Anderson, Smith, and Gallette are all potentially at the same position. Things could get interesting.
Well, I guess your roster/depth chart predictions coming up soon, will clear up a lot of things.

In a move that improves chances for roster longshots, NFL owners on Tuesday voted to eliminate the first cut-down period forcing teams to trim their roster to 75 before the final preseason game.
Now, there will be one cut down following the preseason, from a 90-man roster to a 53-man.

link:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000810525/article/nfl-owners-eliminate-first-roster-cutdown-period

Redskins have pushed for this over the last several years. A deeper roster with more evaluation time is a good thing and it'll be interesting to see how intense that end of preseason period gets. Also gives a chance to push borderline vets a little longer and evaluate what decision to make on them. I like it as it does simplify the process and overall probably saves the FO time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.