• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, The Mock Drafts, 2017 (Continual Updates)

Every player wants to get paid, but are they worth what they or their agents think? In some cases, yes. In other cases, no.

I just don't see the Redskins giving into what they consider to be huge contract demands. I believe that stance is a mistake and it's why Cousin Kirk probably leaves after this season.

Hope I'm wrong, but think otherwise.

Fish Smithson, FS, Kansas
The strongest candidate to make the roster of fifty-three (at least for now). Has always proved the naysayers wrong. Even with a substantial number of free safeties currently on the roster, Smithson actually has a chance. At the very least, he will have a spot on the practice squad.

He was expected to be drafted wasn't he ?
What caused him to fall, or fall through ?
I'd take him on our 53, over our 4th round pick, Nicholson.
That's if the decision had to be made today. Of course, things can change in TC and preseason.

He was expected to be drafted in the 6th or 7th. Redskins made out like bandits by getting him to sign on the dotted line. They may try to find a place for him on the roster as another team could try to snatch him if he is placed on the practice squad.

They may try to find a place for him on the roster as another team could try to snatch him if he is placed on the practice squad.

Yes, please.
Do not want to see Tevin Mitchel II
Not that Mitchel turned out to be great. It just shows how closely teams watch our PS, and are willing to take risks with them. If they're willing to take a chance on an injured Mitchel, I imagine they would jump on Smithson.

Last edited:
While it wouldn't preclude another team from snatching from the PS, you can pay a guy more than the minimum PS salary. Other teams might not be quite as eager to take from your PS if it was going to cost them more. Obviously another team could still grab the guy but the odds are reduced.

As far as Cousins and his agent go, I've got no idea what's going on but while's a possibility that Kirk is getting bad advice or maybe the agent is just being greedy, who knows. On the other hand, another possibility is that is Cousins is the one holding back. I mean, his agent isn't going walk away from commission on a possible $100M contract because their client is rejecting offers. The agent probably has a Plan 'B' in place for next year no matter this plays out between now and then and everyone on Kirk's sideline is OK with it.

While it wouldn't preclude another team from snatching from the PS, you can pay a guy more than the minimum PS salary. Other teams might not be quite as eager to take from your PS if it was going to cost them more. Obviously another team could still grab the guy but the odds are reduced.

As far as Cousins and his agent go, I've got no idea what's going on but while's a possibility that Kirk is getting bad advice or maybe the agent is just being greedy, who knows. On the other hand, another possibility is that is Cousins is the one holding back. I mean, his agent isn't going walk away from commission on a possible $100M contract because their client is rejecting offers. The agent probably has a Plan 'B' in place for next year no matter this plays out between now and then and everyone on Kirk's sideline is OK with it.

Again, big risk on the players side. What does his talent demand if he has a serious injury next season?

Again, big risk on the players side. What does his talent demand if he has a serious injury next season?

Big risk on both sides. What's the contract worth to the Redskins if he has a serious injury next year? I'm guessing that's the issue from both perspectives - guarantees.

Carr a FA next year & will get a $100M+ contract. Probably both him & Kirk are looking at similar deals.

Big risk on both sides. What's the contract worth to the Redskins if he has a serious injury next year? I'm guessing that's the issue from both perspectives - guarantees.

Carr a FA next year & will get a $100M+ contract. Probably both him & Kirk are looking at similar deals.

Financially a much, much greater risk to the player than to the franchise. Not even close.

Free Agency, The Mock Drafts, 2017 (Continual Updates)​

Greetings to all. BBQ hopes your week is going well. As we continue to look at free agency and the recent draft, today will be devoted to evaluating the new free agents acquired by the Redskins this offseason. We have eleven players to consider today.

These evaluations are highly subjective, but we will attempt to look into the future and see what kind of impact each player will have with the Redskins. Will there be any long term starters? Will there be players who provide depth? Who will have a long term future with the Redskins? Who will have a short career with the team?

Starting tomorrow, we will also look at the rookie training camp (Friday through Sunday) and provide updates on the various observations from reporters and pundits.

OTAs arrive soon and continue until the middle of next month. We’ll also provides updates and observations as they become available.

Let’s get right to it.

Free Agents Obtained:

A.J. Francis, DT
At 6-5 and 330, he certainly has the size to play the position. He will go into training camp as the likely backup to Phil Taylor. Francis has an outside chance of making the roster.

Phil Taylor, DT
Taylor is the heir apparent and likely starter for now at the defensive tackle position. Could be pushed by A.J. Francis. If he can gain his first round form and provide quality play for about fifteen snaps each game, then the Redskins could truly be set here.

Earl Wolff, SS
A camp body. A practice sled. A pad and helmet carrier. A Gatorade bottle provider. An observer. A footnote in the summer of 2017.

Terrell McClain, DE/DT
He will be a regular contributor in 2017. He could actually play at times beside Phil Taylor in short yardage situations. Not a starter, but will be in the defensive rotation often.

Stacy McGee, DE/DT
McGee will see plenty of playing time in 2017, mostly at defensive end. He could slide inside at times with certain defensive alignments.

D.J. Swearinger, FS
The starting free safety for 2017. He should not be seriously challenged for that title. He was more of a strong safety in earlier seasons, but successfully made the transition over the last couple of years.

Terrelle Pryor, WR
The number one receiver heading into 2017. Expect a 1,000 yard season. A legitimate red zone target. It is not known if he will line up at quarterback in certain offensive plays, but don’t rule it out.

Chris Carter, LB
A very good special teams player who will take on that role specifically. Could be pushed by any number of rookies and second year players.

Brian Quick, WR
He will be the third or fourth receiver. May receive more targets and receptions due to the Rams being quarterback challenged over the years. It’s not out of the question to think he could have thirty-five to forty-five receptions in 2017.

Zach Brown, ILB
A true presence in the middle. He will be an impactful player with the front seven. Should put up good numbers if the defensive line will have improved play this season.

John Kling, OT
A camp body. A practice sled. A pad and helmet carrier. A Gatorade bottle provider. An observer. A footnote in the summer of 2017.

Some of these observations could be too optimistic. Some could be too pessimistic. How do you think the Redskins careers of these players will unfold? Feel free to agree or disagree. Too, feel free to post any of your career evaluations and expectations of these Redskins free agents.

Starting tomorrow BBQ will be proving periodic updates on the rookie training camp – mostly tweets from Redskins reporters and pundits. We’ll have some commentary mixed in as well. The rookie camp will end on Sunday.

See you as we go along.

Hail To The Redskins!

Exactly. That is why I phrased it in such a manner. I do think Doctson is healthy, but he probably gets some plays off this season at times - slowly work his way to full time starter and player. Quick is likely to relieve him at times.

So much in hinges on Doctson's health and development.
Without him, our overall WR crew is kind of average.
I mean, both Pryor and Crowder are very good.
But look around at today's playoff teams and their overall WR package, and I think you'll see that we need a better 3rd receiver than Quick, to stay competitive, IMO. Though he may still may make a good RZ target, and hopefully may surprise us in other ways.

So much in hinges on Doctson's health and development.
Without him, our overall WR crew is kind of average.
I mean, both Pryor and Crowder are very good.
But look around at today's playoff teams and their overall WR package, and I think you'll see that we need a better 3rd receiver than Quick, to stay competitive, IMO. Though he may still may make a good RZ target, and hopefully may surprise us in other ways.

Quick probably doesn't see a lot of targets. Like BB said, 35 to 45. But he's a very good blocker. Surprise! :birthday:

Cousin Kirk wants to put up gaudy numbers this year. He wants a mega contract. The receivers should be fine, including Quick.

FYI - Rookie camp starts tomorrow and ends Sunday. We'll have updates and observations.

Tomsula gonna find him a NT.
Could it be BJ Singleton ?

temp051217_RookieMiniCampD1_271--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.