• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, The Mock Drafts, 2017 (Continual Updates)

The Eagles have cut Josh LeRibeus.

The Eagles picked up Steven Daniels off waivers from the Redskins.

With all the Kirk Cousins talk of late in this thread, I am certain that some of you will find tomorrow's 2018 mock to be interesting.

Free Agency, The Mock Drafts, 2017 (Continual Updates)​

Greetings from BBQ to all in BGO land. Are you ready for the summer to begin? Rookie camp comes soon and then we have OTAs. Before you know it, training camp will be here.

The draft is history and the 2017 roster is starting to take shape. By late summer the Redskins will have a roster of fifty-three players and ten practice squad members.

Today we bring you a very early 2018 mock. Trying to anticipate nearly one year in advance what the Redskins will do in that draft is certainly challenging. However, we will try to anticipate some circumstances and put forth our predictions.

Let’s get right to it.

Round One: Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU
This tall receiver has good speed and is a very reliable target.

Round Two: Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming
The Redskins reluctantly move on from Kirk Cousins and make the Wyoming signal caller their quarterback of the future.

Round Three: Quin Blanding, FS, Virginia
The Redskins find their free safety of the future.

Round Four: Wilson Bell, G, Florida St.
The 2018 class for guards is deep and plentiful. Bell is huge, strong, and powerful.

Round Five: Micah Kiser, ILB, Virginia
The Redskins venture down the road and find a good inside linebacker who can also play special teams.

Round Six: Ethan Wolfe, TE, Tennessee
The Redskins watch the end of the line come for Vernon Davis and invest in pass catching blocker for the second straight year.

Round Seven: Davin Bellamy, OLB, Georgia
He would be a project at edge and would likely contribute on special teams.

If Kirk Cousins signs a long term deal before training camp, then we will have a second mock later this summer and update it. During the bye week this fall, we will have another mock.

This list will change drastically by next winter. Or will it? Feel free to share your thoughts or post a 2018 mock.

See you as we go along.

Hail To The Redskins!

Interesting this mock has the Redskins taking 2 UVA players. Just noting. :)

There are already articles up saying Josh Allen could go #1 overall in next years draft.

It's just coincidence more than anything. The research on the prospects was done in about a four day period - no where near long enough to really do a complete and total analysis.

If we end up next May with two players from Virginia, Virginia Tech, Maryland, William & Mary, etc., then that is what will happen. These mocks are presented with no bias to institutions, conferences, race, heritage, or economic background.

We went through this quite a bit a few years ago with Morgan Moses, a Virginia product. I mocked him extensively due to rumored team interest. There were complaints about it. Those reports turned out to be true and we scored a direct hit in those mocks.

Again, keep in mind that this list will look different in the fall and much different next winter.

Last edited:
There are already articles up saying Josh Allen could go #1 overall in next years draft.

I've seen that as well and I've seen where he is rated the fourth to sixth best prospect at QB. We need to keep in mind that many of these list do not include underclassmen.

A lot will change during the next twelve months. BBQ will make adjustments as needed. I do believe that we will have a new starter in 2018. Hope I'm wrong, but...

Many of you have read what WalterFootball had to say about the first day of the draft. He rated the Redskins as having the best first day based on being able to get Jonathan Allen with the 17th pick.

Walter has now rated the third day of the draft and he ranks the Redskins first overall yet again. Here is what he had to say:

"I had the Bears in here last year, and that was proven true as Jordan Howard was a dynamic rookie after being a third-day pick for Chicago. A year from now, I think looking back could reflect that the Redskins made some similarly great picks on Day 3. To start Day 3 off, they landed a power back with Oklahoma's Samaje Perine. He could be a really nice complement to Rob Kelley, and Perine will be a quick upgrade over the oft-injured Matt Jones. Meanwhile, Michigan State safety Montae Nicholson (6-2, 212) has a superb skill set with the size and strength to tackle as a strong safety with speed and length to be a free safety. He could be a real steal if he develops.

In the fifth round, the Redskins got a good inline tight end with Arkansas' Jeremy Sprinkle. He can block and also is a receiving threat. Sprinkle could form a nice tandem with Jordan Reed a year or two from now, yet also offers the Redskins some immediate depth if Reed gets injured again.

In the late rounds, Washington got some size-speed freaks in Georgia State wide out Robert Davis (6-3, 219) and Louisville safety Josh Harvey-Clemons (6-4, 217). Both players have a lot of potential and upside to develop. Wyoming center Chase Roullier could compete at guard as well as man the middle of the line. Even seventh-rounder Joshua Holsey from Auburn has a lot of experience and could be a versatile backup at cornerback or safety. The Redskins finished off their phenomenal draft class with a great showing on Day 3".

I agree with him on Perine - thought he was a late second or early third rounder. I disagree with him on Nicholson, but if the free safety can develop into a solid starter, then that will be a huge plus.

Agree with him on Sprinkle, but Jake Butt was there in the 4th and I do believe that Nicholson would've been there with our pick in the fifth.

The Rouiller pick is very good indeed, but I don't think Davis makes the roster - just too many receivers on the roster at this time.

I also disagree with the Holey pick - a few decent DTs were there for the taking. The Josh Harvey-Clemons choice could be the biggest steal of this draft for the Redskins. If he can stay out of trouble, JH-C has a very good football future ahead of him.

Walter did not have a ranking for day two - the Redskins were not winners or losers. Yes, I do think the Redskins could've traded down to the latter part of round two and snag Anderson. Moreau is really not a risky pick. He'll be ready to go by mid season and could be the number two corner for many years.

It's nice to be ranked the highest for days one and three of the draft. Day two is very good as well in my very humble opinion. Is it the best draft in more than a generation? We'll find out.

One thing Redskin fans are going to have to acquire is patience with the DB's they picked up. Whether by injury or the need to improve their skill sets (or both) some picks are with the future in mind as starters and that future being beyond Week 1, 2017. Pretty doubtful that any of those four DBs are on the field much, if at all, at the start of the year and I'm good with that.

No. Just adding to the group. Does Pryor move on?

I think there's a very good chance that Pryor moves on. He recently said that he should've had 1,5oo yards last year. If that's his goal, OK but it won't happen in DC unless he really tightens up his chin strap - too many targets & TE's (whether Reed's in or not) get the bulk of them. Although Terrelle had almost identical numbers to Garceon last year I don't know that he'll get 75+ receptions. IDK that Pierre would get that many this year if he was still around. Winning cures most stuff so a run to the playoffs will help anyone's desire to hang around but Pryor just may wind up being #3 or #4 in targets on this team and he might not be that much into sharing.

Yes, the fans will definitely need to be patient with the new DBs.

Good point about Pryor. You can also factor in the very real possibility that Kirk Cousins moves on as well - another reason Pryor could only be here one year.

Redskins updates from the twitter-verse today.

Jsteelz@jsteelznskins
I'm out till July 15th to rattle them cages with Kirk Cousins talk lol u guys be good till then.
BBQ's Take: Don't expect a contract to be completed with Cousins before this date - if it happens at all.

But then there is this today...
Redskins SPORTalk‏@SPORTalkSkins
Bruce Allen and the Redskins have been working on a long-term contract extension for quarterback Kirk Cousins.

And this...
Redskins Zone‏@TheRedskinsZone
Washington Redskins: Offseason moves show true commitment to Kirk Cousins.

Dan Steinberg‏@dcsportsbog
Scot McCloughan is selling autographed Skins gear on eBay, and is gonna give the proceeds to the Redskins foundation.
BBQ's Take: Taking the high road.

Rich Tandler‏@Rich_TandlerCSN
Welcome to the midpoint of the #Redskins offseason. It’s been 126 days since they lost to NYG. 126 days until season opener vs. Eagles.
BBQ's Take: This is from yesterday. It's all downhill now.

Zach Hicks‏ @ZachHicks2
Redskins are going to be interesting at CB this year.. is CB2 Moreau or Breeland? Slot competition is wide open too, Holsey could take it.
BBQ's Take: CB competition will probably get more interesting once Moreau is fully healed from his injury. Holsey could be headed to the practice squad.

The Redskins on twitter today announced that the drafted players and undrafted free agents were assigned numbers today. Here is the list:
Redskins.com | Players

I'd really like to see a big body in the nickle. Release the WR and take on the RB or TE if that's how the play goes. That soft white underbelly was pretty exposed last season. Let Fuller go to the outside but not on the inside. I think he'll show up well if he's used right. I just don't think the Skins can get away with a small guy on the inside.

Breeland has shown himself to be quite the knucklehead. He's a head case and it's hurting his chances of sticking and being a great corner long term. If he doesn't get his head right, I could see him gone in the next season or two.

And contrary to popular opinion, the Skins will shock with a big 5 year KC deal well before the July deadline.

Free Agency, The Mock Drafts, 2017 (Continual Updates)​

Greetings to all. BBQ hopes your week is off to a great start. As we continue to look at free agency and the recent draft, today will be devoted to evaluating the future potential of each undrafted free agent. We have eight players to consider today.

These evaluations are highly subjective, but we will attempt to look into the future and see what kind of impact each player will have with the Redskins. Will there be any long term starters? Will there be players who provide depth? Who will be a practice squad hero? Who will have a short career in football? Who will have memories of lasting one summer in the NFL?

Later this week, we will look at the career evaluations of the 2017 free agents.

We will also look at the rookie training camp coming this Friday through Sunday and provide updates on the various observations from reporters and pundits.

Let’s get right to it.

Undrafted Free Agent Evaluations

Brandon Banks, DE, UNC-Charlotte
A camp body. A practice sled. A pad and helmet carrier. A Gatorade bottle provider. Probably doesn’t make the practice squad. Interesting name.

Tyler Catalina, G, Georgia
Catalina goes about 6-6, 330 (after adding about fifteen pounds of bulk). He has a decent chance of making the practice squad and possibly to the roster within a year or two. Could be in direct competition with Kyle Kalis.

Levern Jacobs, WR, Maryland
The team has many fine receivers and he is quite a bit shorter than all of them. Even making the practice squad is a longshot. BBQ wonders if his nickname is “Ryan Grant”.

Kyle Kalis, G, Michigan
He could be a candidate for the practice squad. Needs to add about ten to fifteen pounds of bulk. He could be worth the time and effort to invest in training and developing for the future. Could be in direct competition with Tyler Catalina.

Zach Pascal, WR, Old Dominion
In a roster full of tall and talented receivers, Zach Pascal has an outside chance of making the roster. However, he likely lands on the practice squad for now. Could work his way to the 2018 roster.

Ondre Pipkins, DT, Texas Tech
It’s unlikely that he makes the final fifty-three. Once a five star recruit for college, he had a subpar career at the next level. He may land on the practice squad, but that is iffy.

James Quick, WR, Louisville
He did well in a pass happy system in college. He will not be on the roster and being on the practice squad is not likely to happen either.

Fish Smithson, FS, Kansas
The strongest candidate to make the roster of fifty-three (at least for now). Has always proved the naysayers wrong. Even with a substantial number of free safeties currently on the roster, Smithson actually has a chance. At the very least, he will have a spot on the practice squad.

Rookie Camp Tryout Players
Nico Marley, SS/OLB, Tulane
Mario Yakoo, G, Boise St.
Jameel Jackson, DB, Grambling
Cass Weitl, DE, Northwest Missouri St.
Verlan Hunter, WR, Grambling

Players amongst the tryout candidates to watch are Yakoo and Weitl.

Some of these career observations could be too optimistic. Some could be too pessimistic. How do you think the careers of these players will unfold? Feel free to agree or disagree. Too, feel free to post any of your career evaluations and expectations of these UDFAs.

Later this week, we will do career evaluations for the new free agents signed during the offseason.

See you as we go along.

Hail To The Redskins!

JP Finley made an interesting observation from McCloughan's interview on The Fan. McCloughan said it's not always the team and player, but the agent must understand as well.

In Cousin's case I am sure the agent wants max dollars to increase his income, but at same time the agent has to be smart and give good advice to the player.

This factor is one we really haven't discussed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.