• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, The Mock Drafts, 2017 (Continual Updates)

I don't know. Keep in mind that it is early May. He could be back in a week or two. A month or two. Training camp. Practice Squad. Maybe he is injured. Maybe not. We'll see over a period of time.

Harvey-Clemons. If you haven't watched the highlights, stop right now and scroll up. Yes please.

Warning: I know Allen is better, but I may go Ladell Betts on this guy.

Free Agency, The Mock Drafts, 2017 (Continual Updates)​

Greetings from BBQ. Summer is getting closer and training camp will be here before you know it. The draft is history and football activity has dwindled down considerably. Today we have the latest free agency update and there are several changes.

After training camp opens, BBQ will have periodic roster predictions. Feel free to offer your opinions and predictions. Who will make the roster? Who will get cut? Will there be any surprises? Will we add any other free agents?

We will look at our own free agents including those who are re-signed, released, and those who may not return. We will list candidates to be released and the cap savings/hit. We’ll provide updates as needed.

We take the latest chatter from Redskins Park and media pundits as BBQ tries to formulate what could happen in the coming days, weeks and months. Who will the Redskins target, re-sign and release? Feel free to offer your ideas on free agency.

Free Agents Obtained:
A.J. Francis, DT
Phil Taylor, DT
Earl Wolff, SS
Terrell McClain, DE/DT
Stacy McGee, DE/DT
D.J. Swearinger, FS
Terrelle Pryor, WR
Chris Carter, LB
Brian Quick, WR
Zach Brown, ILB
John Kling, OT

Free Agents Re-signed:
Nick Sundberg, LS
Junior Galette, OLB
Vernon Davis, TE
Kirk Cousins, QB (Could still get long term deal or traded)
Ziggy Hood, DE
Vinston Painter, OT
Ty Nsehke, OT
Chris Thompson, RB
Dashaun Phillips, CB
Will Compton, ILB

Contract Extension:
Morgan Moses, RT

Unrestricted Free Agents:
Greg Toler, CB – (Probably walks)
Duke Ihenacho, SS – (Very likely walks)
Cullen Jenkins, DL - (Very likely walks)
Donte Whitner, SS – (Very likely walks)
Kedric Golston, DL (Very likely walks, retires?)

Restricted Free Agents:

Exclusive Rights Free Agents:

Possible Cuts, Cap Savings, Candidates For Restructure:
Shawn Lauvao, LG – (Likely stays, Salary reduction? - $4 Mil saved if cut)
Mason Foster, ILB - (Likely stays – $1.225 Mil saved if cut)
Will Blackmon, FS - (Likely stays - $1.0 Mil saved if cut)
Derek Carrier, TE - (Possibly cut - $1.075 Mil saved if cut)
Matt Jones, RB – (Possibly cut - $1.218 Mil saved if cut)
Ryan Grant, WR – (Possibly cut – $690K saved if cut)
Mack Brown, RB – (Possibly cut - $540K saved it cut)
Zach Vigil, ILB – (Unknown - $615K saved if cut)
Matt Ioannidis, DE/DT – (Possibly cut - $540K saved it cut)
DeAngelo Hall, FS – (Possibly cut - $4.25 Mil saved if cut)
Niles Paul, TE – (Unknown - $2.0 Mil saved if cut)

Suspension:
Silas Redd, RB – (Released)

Offseason Updates:
The Redskins have announced the offseason practice schedule:
Rookie Camp
May 12-14
OTAs
May 23-25
May 30-June 1
June 5-8
Veterans Mini Camp
June 13-15

The Redskins signed Morgan Moses to an extension - five years, $40M base, $42.5M max, $20M guaranteed. Here are the details
2018: $3.25M (gtd)
2019: $4.75M (gtd)
2020: $4.75M ($1.203 injury gtd)
2021: $7.5M (no gtd)
2022: $7.5M (no gtd)
BBQ Note: This is a good deal for both sides.

Did the Redskins avoid a possible disaster here? Did they dodge a bullet? From Rotoworld:
More buzz Reuben Foster needs more surgery
"Foster claimed he doesn't need more surgery after the 49ers drafted him, but USA Today and Lombardi have both reported otherwise. "The 49ers should count their lucky stars they didn't pick Reuben Foster at the third pick overall", Lombardi said. "Because Foster may require surgery before the season even begins. People are saying he's fine, everything's gonna be good. That's not what I'm told by a lot of teams in the league. That's why he slipped”. Lombardi indicated NFL teams have concerns about both of Foster's shoulders, regarding his labrum and rotator cuff".

The Redskins now have about $8.1M in cap space (top 51 pool). Once the entire roster must be counted later this summer, the cap becomes -$6.8M. With this in mind, one or two higher profile names could be released and one or two players will have their contracts adjusted.

Personal Thoughts:
Here are the remaining players (and percentages) that BBQ believes is certain not to return: Kedric Golston (95%), Duke Ihenacho (99%), Greg Toler (85%), Cullen Jenkins (99%), Donte Whitner (100%), Ryan Grant (70%).

Mark Bullock‏ @MarkBullockNFL
Interesting tidbit from @JasonLaCanfora, #Redskins wanted C.J. Beathard in 4th, 49ers jumped up into 3rd to grab him.
BBQ Note: Did Scot McCloughan tip them off? Before you accuse Scot of anything, it could be that the Redskins actually wanted the QB in the 6th and let the 49ers make a huge reach.

BBQ now believes that DeAngelo Hall will be released. There are many defensive backs on the team and he would be a cap casualty.

We will continue to have updates until late summer. See you as we go along.

Hail To The Redskins!

Most important open football-related questions for our Redskins are whether or not the team intends to make a serious push to sign Kirk to a long-term deal prior to the July 15th deadline, and whether or not Cousins would accept a big-dollar long-term deal or if he's already decided to leave via free agency after this season?

The answers to those two questions have huge ramifications for this franchise. A long-term deal with our first legitimate franchise QB in 20 years coupled with a resurgent and improving surrounding cast could give us a perennial playoff (and even championship) contending team for the next decade. Failing to secure Cousins, on the other hand, could send this franchise into a death spiral, starting with a total 'do over' at the QB spot, inability to keep pace with the other 3 NFC East teams (all of whom have stable or promising QBs for the foreseeable future), and likely firing/hiring of another head coach - in other words, more of the same for a chronically sub-par and beleaguered team.

The importance of locking up Kirk prior to 15 July cannot be overstated. That does not imply that Kirk Cousins is a perfect QB. But the ramifications of losing a very capable experienced starter and starting over at that position cannot be underestimated. My hopes for this team will hinge almost entirely on what happens between now and then. But my fear is that the same ownership and organizational arrogance that has held this franchise back since Daniel Snyder arrived will lead them to believe they don't need Kirk Cousins to get to the Promised Land. And on that front, just as they have been over and over again over the past 2 decades, the Redskins would be dead wrong.

Last edited:
I agree 100%. The longer we wait to get a deal done the more and more Kirk is not going to sign with us. So our FO needs to get this done ASAP.

Cousins is also rolling some pretty heavy dice. Even if the numbers are not exactly what he wants, the risk of a serious injury without the soft cushion of guaranteed money beyond this coming season is either ballsy or foolish.

Man plans, god laughs.

The reason I view a lot of the conventional wisdoms ('Cousins wants out and will not sign a LTD with the Skins under any circumstances') is that so much of what the media puts out there as fact turns out to be total bullshit)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed Boone, the media reporting nowadays is about as clean as a Kardashian's drawers. Though the lack of a deal this far into the season is kinda telling too.

I see it as...

A-Kirk is playing the good guy under contract but will bolt to little Shan next season.
B-Bruce is lowballing (NFL terms) that's prolonging this thing from getting done.
C-Bruce possibly is an arrogant sob and will offer over the current market value but at a later date. Like a 'no player will hold us hostage type scenario'

Draft profile shows that the NFL player that Harvey-Clemons most resembles is Kam Chancellor.
Kind of ironic, considering that many projecting he'll end up at LB.
So maybe they should say he most resembles Ken Harvey....or Charlie Clemons.

217 so maybe a bit light as an LB but I could definitely see him as a nickle back. Nothing against Fuller (5'11") but you can't teach height, Harvey-Clemons (6'4"). Much better odds against a TE and something they had trouble with last year. When they played Fuller on the outside he fared much better than against the slot.

If I'm being honest, I think Kirk shares a quality that a lot of truly competitive, ambitious star players have - it's called 'Pride'. I used the capital version because I'm talking about the kind of pride that can make a player driven and determined, but also create blind spots and undermine his ultimate success.

I just get the feeling that Kirk somehow feels 'slighted' - whether it's because he was drafted well after wunderkind RG3, whether it's because he only got the chance to start after Griffin imploded when there were no other realistic options, or whether because the Redskins didn't jump at the chance to sign him long-term right out of the gate. Whatever it is, he seems to feel unloved and/or underappreciated. In retrospect, his 'You like that!' scream may have been less a motivating battle cry than a testimony that he feels the front office or coaches or both don't have the requisite love or respect for him that they should. It may have been a taunt, not a celebration. Just seems that way.

I've said before that the reality is, it was the Redskins that saw the promise in him and drafted him, that ditched a star they gave up the house to get in favor of him, and have spent a ton of money keeping him in DC. And the team has stuck with him through some pretty ugly bumps early on in his starting career. Gruden put his job on the line casting off Robert Griffin and going with Cousins - that much is for certain. But he did it and for that Cousins should feel great affinity for his head coach. In other words, I think it would be illogical to believe under those circumstances that you are not loved, respected, and valued. Nevertheless - perhaps he does feel that way. There are likely things we don't know about, meetings that have occurred, conversations that have transpired, who knows what else, that have contributed to wherever his mind is at right now. People are weird. Sometimes reality and one's perception of it can get warped.

There's only one cure for all that. If this is all about ego, needing to feel loved and appreciated, wounded pride of some kind - the fix is obvious. You approach the man on a personal level, you tell him how aflutter our hearts are with the thought of him in B&G forever and always, you promise your abiding affection and devotion to him for now until the end of time. You wine and dine and court and caress the man. And then you pay the everloving shit out of him. $25 million a year, 5 years, $75 million guaranteed and up front.

And put that damn contract in front of him and dare him not to sign it.

Last edited:
Plus, Kirk holds the edge in the court of public opinion. He can say he didn't feel wanted by Redskins so why left. This is why Bruce (our FO) needs to get busy and show the man some love or play the upcoming season knowing he's gone.

Was also curious about the 2 franchise tags. Basically what if Bruce is using it as the "guaranteed $" in part of the new contract?

Kinda like look ya bastard we've already given you $40M or whatever it is SO SIGN IT (in Sam Kennison voice).
I have absolutely no knowledge of this, just spitballing.

Last edited:
Was also curious about the 2 franchise tags. Basically what if Bruce is using it as the "guaranteed $" in part of the new contract?

Kinda like look ya bastard we've already given you $40M or whatever it is SO SIGN IT (in Sam Kennison voice).
I have absolutely no knowledge of this, just spitballing.

As far as last year goes, it's in the books. They paid, he played. You can probably use that and this years tag numbers together for a salary basis (about $25M @ year starting point). This years tag number would be included into the guaranteed portion of whatever contract they could hash out. Skins already said that they'd guarantee this years salary with the tag so he's not going to take less than that in guarantees. It's a beginning and certainly not the end of negotiation.

Guaranteed salaries, like signing bonuses, can be prorated over the life of the contract so it also stretches out the cap hit. If they wanted to renegotiate a new contract say after 3 years any remaining guaranteed salary can then be turned into a signing bonus money (prorating that cap hit) with whatever new money is needed.

I probably haven't explained this too clearly but as an example: a 5 year contact w/$10M @ year guaranteed after 3 years still has $20M guaranteed for years 4 & 5. So a 2 year extension after that 3rd year, convert the $20M guaranteed salary leftover into a signing bonus and it's a $5M @ year cap hit instead of a $10M one because now it's a 4 year deal (2 years remaining plus the 2 new years).

The team didn't get their money's worth from #8 last season. Fair or not, the season ending, playoff eliminating interception at the end of the Giants game is the reason he hasn't received a contract for the ridiculous numbers he and his agent are apparently asking for. The lowly defense stepped up in that game. The so called "franchise QB" pissed his britches.

I'd hold firm on last years offer. **** him eternally if it ain't enough.
The better the rest of the team becomes, the less essential he becomes.

That sounds a lot more like what you want to believe Ax than something that is supported by reality. We go nowhere without a franchise QB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time will tell. At the time of year when he should have been at his best, he was almost putrid. The Carolina and Giants games, at home, weren't worth $10mil a year. Much less $25mil.

Hell, Colt can lose big home games for a fifth of the cost.

I still think $20mil is too much. A $15-16mil base with incentives to reach as much as $25mil would work for me.
Earn it, you get it. Keep peeing your pants at the worst times, you don't.

And, even franchise QB's don't have to be vastly overpaid.

Then there's the whole Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, better surrounding team thingy.

Free Agency, The Mock Drafts, 2017 (Continual Updates)​

Greetings to all. BBQ hopes you are having a great week and will have an even better weekend. As we continue to look at free agency and the recent draft, today will be devoted to evaluating the future potential of each player.

These evaluations are highly subjective, but we will attempt to look into the future and see what kind of impact each player will have with the Redskins. Will there be multiple long term starters? Will there be players who provide depth? Who will be a bust? Who will have a short career in football?

We’ll do the same next week with the UDFAs and another day will focus on the new free agents for 2017.

Tomorrow we will post the very early 2018 mock.

Let’s get right to it.

Drafted Player Evaluations

Round One: Jonathan Allen, DE, Alabama
His impact will be immediate. A legitimate candidate for defensive rookie of the year. A starter from day one. He is likely to set numerous records in a ten to twelve year career.

Round Two: Ryan Anderson, OLB/ILB, Alabama
He plays with a passion and BBQ thinks his attitude is contagious – it will have a positive impact on the entire defense. He could start by midseason and anchor the left side and/or middle for at least eight years.

Round Three: Fabian Moreau, CB, UCLA
Fabian Moreau is likely to miss the first month of the season. He could be a starter within another month thereafter. He is likely a career number two corner, but being opposite Josh Norman for a few years is not a bad thing. Later in his career probably means a shift to free safety.

Round Four: Samaje Perine, RB, Oklahoma
Probably the starter on opening day and will be part of a running back by committee. He could have a career of about five to six years as one of the feature backs.

Round Four: Montae Nicholson, FS, Michigan St.
Nicholson is an intense player and that passion could allow him to carve out a career as a special teams standout. Bust potential.

Round Five: Jeremy Sprinkle, TE, Arkansas
He will be used on blocking downs, but could catch an occasional pass as a rookie. This will be his role in the coming years.

Round Six: Robert Davis, WR, Georgia St.
He is probably going to the practice squad in his first year or two. His likely career ceiling is being the fifth or sixth receiver on the roster and will need to be ready when injuries occur.

Round Six: Chase Rouiller, C/G, Wyoming
Rouiller could actually be the starter at left guard when the season opens and anchor that position for a decade. At the very least, he will be the backup center in his rookie season. In a year or two, he could start at center and Spencer Long could move back to left guard. Rouiller also has the potential to bust, but that is doubtful.

Round Seven: Josh Harvey-Clemons, SS/ILB, Louisville
He likely makes the team as a dime linebacker in his rookie season. Harvey-Clemons could carve out a decade long career with the Redskins if he is able to stay out of trouble and keep his personal life in check.

Round Seven: Josh Holsey, CB, Auburn
Holsey could be cut late in training camp, but would likely end up on the practice squad where he may need a couple of years to develop. His ceiling is probably no more than being a slot corner. Injuries could limit his time in football. It’s possible that he is out of the league within three years.

Some of these career observations could be too optimistic. Some could be too pessimistic. How do you think the careers of these players will unfold? Feel free to agree or disagree. Too, feel free to post any of your career evaluations.

Next week, we will do the same for the UDFAs and the new free agents signed during the offseason. Once again, the 2018 mock is coming tomorrow.

See you as we go along.

Hail To The Redskins!

Well, that's it.

You sign Kirk Cousins if you believe he is a player that with a legit supporting cast (not what we provided him with in 2015 and 2016) of 52 other players that he can lead a team to a championship.

What he has shown us so far is that he is NOT a player that is going to win a championship with the team riding on his back.

He is not Aaron Rodgers that turns what is a pretty pedestrian roster in Green Bay into an 11-5 or 12-4 division winner and legit contender.

But can he be Joe Flacco or Russell Wilson in the playoffs, leading an otherwise solid team forward?

These guys are not Hall of Famers and when their teams started to suffer attrition due to age and injury and free agent departures, their performances have not looked so rosy.

Both qbs have big contracts that are now costing their teams the ability to spend money in FA at positions of critical need.

But they won Super Bowls and that's what it's about.

If you win a Super Bowl is it OK to then take a step back and be merely 'good' or 'solid' for a few years after that?

In my book it is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.