• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Part of the 'who wants to come here' argument in re coaches has to do with having a GM that knows who to pick :)

Yes, if the Redskins are trying to go after the hot, hot, hot coordinator or assistant coach in the offseason we probably won't get him in a competition with Green Bay or another club with a better recent track record.

BUT, Bobby Beathard picked Joe Gibbs at a time where he was not the hottest head coaching candidate out there in the NFL landscape.

Robert Kraft went out and made a full court press to hire Bill Belichick after Belichick was left with the Jets when Parcells up and quit. Belichick at that time had a so-so record as a head coach in his previous stop in Cleveland posting one 11-5 record but having a sub-500 record overall.

How about Pete Carroll with Seattle? Nobody thought this guy was a good candidate to come back to the NFL after his stint at USC as his prior record in New England was a middling 9-7 final season and some disgruntled veterans who wanted him out.

So, there are capable guys out there that may not be the Chiefs' offensive coordinator or the Ravens' defensive coordinator where those teams are #1 overall...............but they may be great hires for the Redskins.

Remember also that among hot assistants as well as with top drafted quarterbacks there is a healthy failure rate.

Josh McDaniels was a disaster in Denver.

How did Joe Philbin do in Miami? :laugh:

Somehow when these guys were separated from the 'master' and that coach's Hall of Fame quarterbacks in Brady and Rodgers, these coaches looked in over their heads.

The key is to pick not the most visible guy in a coordinator role but the guy that is going to elevate once he becomes a Head Coach.

Those are two different things.

First we need to fire Bruce and find a GM that is able to identify these coaches and which one fits us best going forward.

If we hire a coach before a GM again I am going to throw up and may finally give up on this team for awhile.

Yeah, nuke the whole thing.

Every player that wouldn't too adversely affect the cap is available for trade bait in the offseason.

Scrap the 3-4 for all eternity.

Firing Allen is optional. He hired Gruden, so that alone is worthy of being fired.
However, you'll never convince me that an Andy Reid wouldn't have had us in, or seriously contending for the playoffs, in every one of the last 5 years.

Snyder is going nowhere. So forget that ignorance.

Right now, I'm hoping Cleveland doesn't keep Williams. We need a hard ass defensive coach. Most of our best young players are on defense. We need to play to our strength. As weak as it may seem right now. It would also allow Snyder to correct one of his past mistakes.

Lord knows he could use some positive mojo.

Buffalo has already expressed interest.

I don't see Gregg Williams going back to Buffalo. They don't spend enough money to be competitive in a division with the perennial AFC champions. Besides, who is going to get his wife to move up there twice?? :laugh:

Remember when Mike Shanahan went up to Buffalo to talk to the Bills before he came to Washington?

Reportedly, his wife told him if he became coach of the Bills he could come home and see her at Thanksgiving and Christmas :laugh: :laugh:

The more I think about the quarterbacks the more I think the Redskins if they wanted to make a splash and sell tickets as well as try to win games, should have made the trade after the 2012 season for Philip Rivers.

I recall that before the draft and before we selected Griffin, Rivers was due for a contract extension and wanted big money which at the time the Chargers were loathe to pay him. San Diego dangled him around the NFL as potential trade bait but the price was really high - two #1 picks and either a player or a #2 .

That is actually LESS compensation than we ended up having to give the Rams to take Griffin.

We could have kept our #1 pick in 2014 in a deal for Rivers who was only 31 at the time and who at 36/37 is still a top 10 quarterback in the NFL in 2018 with the 9-3 Chargers.

Interesting the choices you make and those you don't.

Spilled milk.

What do we do now?

I say we ought to be checking out other teams practice squads for best scrub QB available. Hopefully Butt Fumble can finish the season, and then sent packing.

Draft at least 1 QB come next draft.

Few things I wanna see happen this off season would be...

1.) Thank Jay for his services after the last Fecals match up of the year. Whatever Jay "had" is now completely gone. I honestly think he'd agree to separate from the team and his contract. Parting on decent terms is a must, at least cordial.

2.) Promote Eric Schaffer to GM while removing Bruce and Doug from power. Give them meet n greet jobs if needed but no more player movement from these 2.

3.) Make a generous offer to one of the following coordinators to be HC...
a-John DeFilippo, Minnesota Vikings Offensive Coordinator. 40 years old and been around some very productive offenses
b-Pete Carmichael, offensive coordinator, New Orleans Saints. 47 years old and calls are pretty effective Saints offense
c-George Edwards, defensive coordinator, Minnesota Vikings. 51 years old and has the Ragnar's in top 10 in every defensive category.

4.) Increase the training staff budget in some way-shape-form. Whether it's lack of preparation or flawed rehab, something has to get the team on the field and keep them there.

5.) Snyder needs to find a way, IDK how but there's gotta be a way to end or buyout the FedEx field lease. To hell with PC D.C., move em to a smaller yet modern and LOUDER stadium in Virginia.

6.) Very quietly convince Alex Smith to take an injury settlement and retire.

7.) Everyone up for contract renewals can walk, there's no one on this roster that's irreplaceable. That goes for anyone up for option pickup too.

8.) Drafting offense with every single pick, maybe other than a LB who can cover TE's.

9.) A new qb trio is needed worse than oxygen. I'd let Colt walk and start fresh with new qb's. If there's a solid starter in this years crop take him, if not wait til next year. Draft qb regardless

10.) The o-line needs a reboot, at minimum 2 lineman need taken early. IDK where but they need to be damn near day 1 starters. Biggest & baddest maulers available, time to get the unit better.

That's phase 1 of the Win4us team president plan. Phase 2 involves sound awnings to FedEx until it can be burned down and sold as landfill. That and halftime entertainment that includes midgets, ostrich jousting, and hippo rodeos. There's more but that's the first little taste of things to come.

Last edited:
Midgets jousting ON ostriches might actually get me to enter the Peoples Republic of Maryland for a few hours.

I'm with you on Gruden El, this fool is not going to get better in any fashion. We've seen his coaching peak and it's time to move dafuq on.

Already hunting for his replacement

I don't think there's any reason to be calling an NFL head coach a ‘fool' because you don't think he's done a good job. But that's just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think there's any reason to be calling an NFL head coach a ‘fool' because you don't think he's done a good job. But that's just me.

In the off-season I was all for keeping Jay for his contract duration, which is this and next season I believe. The areas of concern with Jay's team are consistently failing. Maybe fool isn't the correct label but he's inept, outcoached and outplanned every week by decent teams. He's not a good coach, at all.

I believe the home crowd size coupled with his record backs up my perception.

Not just you. No coach would win with this mess, but it's hard to imagine some wouldn't perform quite a bit better. Who knows. Hindsight and all that. I so don't want to see a blow up, but I really have no confidence anyone currently there can get the job done. The only thing that would excite me would be to can Allen and Williams, hire a true GM and let him build it.

Obviously he hasn't gotten it done. Doesn't mean he hasn't tried however and hasn't done what he could to win. He certainly hasn't been blessed with luck and/or overwhelming talent. I think he's worked hard and conducted himself as a professional though - and I'd say the same thing about Jim Zorn.

Another season in the books gang!

We're on a 26+ year roll....a roll from hell.

Suck it Bruce

You know, I came to the site thinking "What's gonna be the theme tonight" - knowing full well where it would fall. Much as I want a change in the FO, I would like Allen to be moved along with some dexterity...he is the son of one of our great coaches. So, while I want him removed from impacting the roster, he's still part of the family.

And then I read your post. First hearty laugh I've had tonight!

I'm pretty much a half glass full kinda of guy and often give Gruden the benefit of the doubt. He's been dealt a bad hand with injuries for sure, but I look at how he's 'tried' to adapt and I think it's woefully bare. The play where Sanchez is trying to toss to ?Crowder? is a recent blatant example. Why even try that type of play with someone who's been here two weeks. Don't even get me started on time out management.

However, that being said, it all starts at the top. Allen hasn't proven himself to be any genius on talent decision. If there's any change it needs to start with him.

Just a comment on the decline of the defense. Have to think offensive lack of production and inability to sustain drives has a little to do with it. During the first half of the season, we were playing effective ball control offense and winning the TOP battle. With all of the OL injuries, that hasn't been the case in 6 weeks. This defense may not be injury-plagued, but it's definitely tired and beat up. I'm not making excuses as that dynamic is in play all over the league. But I don't think you can separate the effectiveness of the offense and defense as they directly impact each other.

As an addendum to this...

It's been noted in the media by a few pundits, that our D seems to be going for the turnover all the time. Regularly punching or clawing at the ball instead of simply wrapping up the ball carrier and waiting for assistance for the strip.
I do wonder if this is true and is a side effect of a hapless offence which is forcing the Defense to mentally feel like they NEED to make something happen. The result being that they are trying too hard to get the turnover at the expense of just solid tackling.

I do agree with you though that the Defense has been on the field for VERY long periods, not spelled out by our Offence and with our Bye week so early we're in that part of the season where weardown is kicking in.

I still like this unit for next year. If we can keep Clinton-Dix, get Dunbar back and if our other rookies can take a step forward we could be in solid shape. This off season NEEDS to be offense orientated.

As for the coaching situation. *sigh*

Look around the league and getting a good coach seems like a crapshoot. There just aren't that many who don't have some track record of failure somewhere in their resume. There are more teams than there are good coaches. Way more. There are no guarantees that we'd get anyone better than Gruden.

I'm not advocating he stays, just saying that in my head I look around the league and see a sea of Grudens or worse.

We've tried bringing in coaches with a Superbowl under their belts. We've tried the hot new face. As has already been alluded to, the success rate of the hot-in-the-moment Co-ordinator is chequered. You go to pretty much any forum for any team that's not a perennial playoff contender and you'll get all the same criticisms we level at Gruden.

I'm not hugely confident that Gruden is the man to guide us to the promised land, but before all these injuries he did have us at 6-3 and looking forward to a Division Title.
And those losses in our record at that point don't look as bad in hindsight. The Saints are rolling towards a possible SB berth, the Colts eventually found themselves ... ok I'll concede Atlanta! LOL But then we all know that on any given sunday blah blah blah. The Bills whupped the Patriots so we know stuff like this happens.

I REALLY want to see a season under this Coaching structure that is NOT derailed by injury and bad luck.

It's the decision making further up the tree I really want to see changed. I think s**t flows downstream and while we have issues at the top, whoever coaches here is going to struggle.

Eh, sound, fundamental football can still win enough games to get to the playoffs.
Little tweaks, and enough sack to throw a few curves when everyone is expecting the fastball, can then win it all.

We need a coaching staff that demands accountability. Every...single...day.

In a perfect world, it comes from the top, down. Unfortunately, because of past reputation, Snyder can't do it. At least not publicly. He'd be accused of meddling. Though that claim has been pretty shallow for a while now. Allen could do it one on one with the head coach. But not this one. You can't be a hands off wuss for 5 years, and then all of a sudden start demanding at least average performance. Which leads us to the current, but hopefully not for long, head coach.

Like Allen, he too is now handcuffed by his "coddling of mediocrity" style of coaching. Hard to tell the kids they can't jump on the bed with their shoes on, after letting them do so since they were born.

And for those worshiping at the "We're cursed" altar, consider this curse. Injuries have seemed to increase with his arrival. Getting worse all the time.

Reverse the curse. Fire Norv Gruden!

Disclaimer: Winning out, and making the playoffs would be cause to reconsider. At least for a minute, or two.

I think the bottom line is different coaches would be getting more out of this team especially on defense.

The Redskins are 24th in run defense despite spending considerable draft and monetary resources into the front seven.

A new GM would help the coaches by ensuring we go into the season with a new scheme and some better alignment of talent.

We need to resolve the issue at OLB where Kerrigan and Smith are simply not consistently impactful performers.

We also need to ensure we go into the season with reasonable depth.

In 2018 we had zippo on the OL behind Lauvao and had to go on the street almost immediately when he went down.

At cornerback we had no proven talent behind Norman and Dunbar.

The Redskins aren't going to compete or contend depending upon seventh round rookies and undrafted free agents.

The team signed Scandrick and then cut him in camp losing $1M we paid him up front.

We never made a move to bring in another guy with some experience.

And yet Scandrick evidently has found a role on the 10-2 K.C. Chiefs with Andy Reid???

So he wasn't good enough to be a #3 or #4 here but can play elsewhere?

I just don't get it.

I suppose the Redskins keep getting caught thinking they can sneak by on the cheap in re depth banking on the starters staying healthy.

The last two years have proven otherwise.

I think the bottom line is different coaches would be getting more out of this team especially on defense.

The Redskins are 24th in run defense despite spending considerable draft and monetary resources into the front seven.

A new GM would help the coaches by ensuring we go into the season with a new scheme and some better alignment of talent.

We need to resolve the issue at OLB where Kerrigan and Smith are simply not consistently impactful performers.

We also need to ensure we go into the season with reasonable depth.

In 2018 we had zippo on the OL behind Lauvao and had to go on the street almost immediately when he went down.

At cornerback we had no proven talent behind Norman and Dunbar.

The Redskins aren't going to compete or contend depending upon seventh round rookies and undrafted free agents.

The team signed Scandrick and then cut him in camp losing $1M we paid him up front.

We never made a move to bring in another guy with some experience.

And yet Scandrick evidently has found a role on the 10-2 K.C. Chiefs with Andy Reid???

So he wasn't good enough to be a #3 or #4 here but can play elsewhere?

I just don't get it.

I suppose the Redskins keep getting caught thinking they can sneak by on the cheap in re depth banking on the starters staying healthy.

The last two years have proven otherwise.
So, going line by line.

1, and 1a. Agree 100%. This group doesn't get average performance out of these guys. Much less more than one could expect.
2. Theoretically, sure. But the instant the new GM did something people didn't agree with, he wouldn't be considered a "real GM".
3. Going back to the 4-3, and making them both DE's would quite possibly solve that.
4. Everybody wants to do that. Absorbing a minimal # of injuries isn't near as hurtful as the plethora we've had. Few teams could fare well.
5. Without question, we need to restock the Oline as much as possible. but we can't ignore everything else in doing so.
6. Well, next year, the only proven guy currently on the team, is Dunbar. Norman, while not bad, hasn't justified his salary.
7. Where guys come from (draft position-trade-FA) could not be more irrelevant. you can either play, or you can't.
8, a)b)c). Scandrick's a pimp. He never coulda outfoxed Santino.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, reports are out we are signing Josh Johnson. Can someone explain that to me? Because he "knows the system"? Well, you can know the system and suck, and you can not know the system and have some talent. EJ Manuel is a far better option at this point, with some actual upside to keep around to vie for a position next off-season.

[video]https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/12/redskins-sign-josh-johnson[/video]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.