• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Om Field: NFC Championship Flashback: Redskins vs Cowboys, 1982

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
The Daily Redskin 1.24.10

Sitting here watching the Indianapolis Colts and New York Jets play out the 2009 AFC Championship.*Another season, another conference title weekend ... another year removed the last time my team played for the right to go to the Super Bowl.

And as seems to happen more and more as I get a little older, I find myself thinking back ...

1982. Junior year, Virginia Tech ...

More...

Last edited:
That last sentence sums it up perfectly. It stays with you a lifetime. :cheers:

I still have the SI issue with Darrell Grant spiking the ball in the End Zone on the cover...

It really stays with you. Greatest game I ever witnessed. Never felt a stadium rock like RFK did that day. We were in section 512 about 5 rows from the top and just under the awning. Our seats were right about the dugout to entrance to Redskins locker room.

When the endzone bleachers to our right got bouncing I could feel my seat and the stadium shaking. Place went nuts when Manley knocked White out. When Cowboys were going to locker room at half their heads were hanging down. You could sense we had them.

Place really went nuts when Grant returned INT for the TD. I get goose bumps everytime I think about that day. Believe me it will stick with you for a lifetime.

I didn't have the pleasure of attending the game at RFK, but I will never forget the feeling I had as I watched Dexter Manley knock Danny White out of the game on TV! I think it was especially great since I got to see it in replay after reply. LOL! As the team drove down the field late in the 4th Quarter to finish them off, I was ecstatic. It was something to behold!

For the younger fans who did not have that experience, my condolences. I think our memories and the talk of such grandeur gives insight into why the fans of that era expect so much from this organization.

HTTR!

Just gave me the chills.....

Amazing how Riggins seemingly wasn't even touched on any carry until he was 3-4 yards on his way. Also was nice for a change to see a quarterback in a Redskin uniform make a strong, precise, accurate throw for a touchdown.

Aaah, the good old days.....

HTTR

I still have the SI issue with Darrell Grant spiking the ball in the End Zone on the cover...
Me too ...

Check this out--you can read the whole article as it was printed. Too cool. :)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/edb/reader.html?magID=SI&issueDate=19830131&mode=reader_vault

0131_large.jpg

I had forgotten about this ... if you go to page 20 where the article on the game starts, see if you don't notice something kind of "off" about the selection of pictures SI used. I actually wrote a letter to the editor back then---one of only two I ever wrote and the only one about sports---chiding them. I said something to the effect of "if you didn't know different, you'd think it was the Dallas Cowboys who had wiped the field with the opposition that day, not the other way around."

They never published it.

Without a doubt, this was a great day in Redskins history.

But, there's something about firsts, that lasts.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/longterm/memories/rfk/123172.htm
Redskins Outclass Cowboys, 26-3, Gain Super Bowl Match With Miami

On the sidelines, Charley Taylor, who had seven receptions for 146 yards, grabbed center Len Hauss by the shoulder pads and the two seemed to stare at each other for 10 seconds. In years of service, Hauss and Taylor have been with the Redskins longest — nine years.

Many of these years were lean and dry. But now, with people in the stands singing "Amen" and a town going crazy, the Redskins finally were off to the Super Bowl.

So, I've enjoyed whipping their asses in two NFC Championship games!:)
And this one, will always be special, for me.

I had forgotten about this ... if you go to page 20 where the article on the game starts, see if you don't notice something kind of "off" about the selection of pictures SI used. I actually wrote a letter to the editor back then---one of only two I ever wrote and the only one about sports---chiding them. I said something to the effect of "if you didn't know different, you'd think it was the Dallas Cowboys who had wiped the field with the opposition that day, not the other way around."

They never published it.

The photo of the tackle of Riggins was not the most flattering for Riggins since much of his day was spent plowing through defenders. If there was no caption of the Too Tall photo, one might think it was the Cowgirls towering over "Little Joe" and those "Redskins". And the final two....well, Gary Hogeboom lowering the Boom? And people wonder why Redskins' fans loathe the Cowgirls!

I think I might go pop this in the DVD player and watch it. Wasn't born till 88, but even this game gives me chills. I love RFK Stadium.

Without a doubt, this was a great day in Redskins history.

But, there's something about firsts, that lasts.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/longterm/memories/rfk/123172.htm
Redskins Outclass Cowboys, 26-3, Gain Super Bowl Match With Miami

So, I've enjoyed whipping their asses in two NFC Championship games!:)
And this one, will always be special, for me.

I also remember that game, Ax. I remember jumping up and down on my bed in complete and utter joy just after Charley Taylor caught the second of his two bombs from Kilmer. Oh, how the image of Charlie Waters perpendicular to the ground still makes me giggle....

HTTR

Me too ...

Check this out--you can read the whole article as it was printed. Too cool. :)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/edb/reader.html?magID=SI&issueDate=19830131&mode=reader_vault

A couple of quotes I enjoyed from that article:

Danny White said:
I don't remember anything. I'm still dizzy. The play? Hell, I don't remember the day.

Drew Pearson said:
We were playing for the Super Bowl. The Redskins were playing for respect. They got both.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.