• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Shocker? What if it's Cowher??

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
The Redskins haven't been good at much over the past decade. But one thing they have excelled at - maintaining secrecy internally - and that includes near absolute secrecy over head coaching hires. We've seen it repeatedly. Example? No one - and I mean, no one - saw the return of Joe Gibbs.

So what if all of the rumors, back alley whispers, fan prognostications, and internet gossip were wrong, wrong, wrong?

What if the next head coach of the Washington Redskins doesn't turn out to be Mike Shanahan - but one Bill Cowher?

How would you feel about that, and what might be the reaction of Redskins Nation?

I'm not saying it will happen. I'm saying that it wouldn't shock me into v-fib if someone other than Mike Shanahan were introduced as our next head coach in the next 48 hours.

Talk amongst yourselves...

I've thought the same thing. Doubtful, but not out of the realm of possibility. With Danny, anything is possible.

I guess we'll see if Bruce Allen learned any of that secrecy stuff from his father. ;)

I think a lot of us have probably thought about it but face it, the Washington Redskins couldn't keep a secret if Danny's life depended on it. The longer it takes for the Skins to name Shanahan as coach, the more likely we are to see Cowher's name bandied about.

I think I would prefer it. The only problem I could see is if he didn't bring in a highly qualified offensive coordinator. His Steelers teams over the years never struck me as high powered offenses and I think we all know that is what Danny Boy wants here. It sells more!

I think a lot of us have probably thought about it but face it, the Washington Redskins couldn't keep a secret if Danny's life depended on it.
How quickly you've forgotten the hiring of Joe Gibbs! Total secret. Caught everyone off guard.

How quickly you've forgotten the hiring of Joe Gibbs! Total secret. Caught everyone off guard.

A couple of things on that:

1. I think that was put together pretty quickly after Spurrier's "resignation" and....

2. The media feeding frenzy is much greater than it was almost six years ago. The Skins can't seem to keep ANYTHING a secret nowadays. I don't think many in the entire NFL can.

It wouldn't shock me, but like you said, I think Shanny is a done deal

I think Shanahan is a lock, but after considering the possibility for awhile, it would definitely be on-par with some of the other events in recent Redskins history. Also, another angle to consider is that the Post has been all over the Shanahan hiring - the ultra-head fake to hire Cowher would definitely stick a thumb in the WaPo's eye, which would make Snyder giggle like a school girl.

I think Shanahan is a lock, but after considering the possibility for awhile, it would definitely be on-par with some of the other events in recent Redskins history. Also, another angle to consider is that the Post has been all over the Shanahan hiring - the ultra-head fake to hire Cowher would definitely stick a thumb in the WaPo's eye, which would make Snyder giggle like a school girl.

It would probably make a LOT of people giggle....after the initial "WHOA!". Cowher would probably be a better fit in the NFC East. I don't think Shanahan has never coached outside the NFC West or AFC West. Some may say "football is football" but I'm not so sure. Then again, it's worked for Andy Reid so maybe it doesn't matter.

In any event, let's get this thing done!

FWIW - I've heard some people on twitter saying that Cowher isn't going to coach in 2010. I think Carolina was his only potential landing spot, and Fox's job is safe for one more year I think.

Cowher will be in the same spot next year as Shanny is now. I can't see Delhome having a winning season, and Fox seems glued to him like danny was to vinny for years and years

i think youre right though, lanky, cowher would be a better fit for the nfc east. maybe jerruh will read this and pull out the checkbook when the cowpukes choke on another one in the playoffs...

DCSPR twitter reported that Cowher and Allen spoke but that Cowher hung up expecting that the Shanahan to Washington deal was all but done.

Over at another site they said someone called 106.7 and reported seeing Cowher at the airport. :rotflmao:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.