• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Almost done

Rymanofthenorth

BGObsessed
Reaction score
I live in the warmest city in the coldest provinc
Alma Mater
UTEP
So many of us have been through thick and thin with this team. some of us have been here during the good times, some of us were here for the best of times, all of us who are here now have been through the worst of times.

I was one of the first members of the original redskins forum, we had a good community but it grew too fast and people who took over made it a much less fun place to be, I was actually banned because I posted several threads about why a conversion to a 3-4 was a terrible idea and how it would set us back a minimum of 5 seasons. The reason I was given for the ban was some BS about how I didnt title a thread properly. so basically 6 years of contributing, banned. someone sent me a message to try this place, and I was glad I did. some of the best contributors from the other place were already here and the community was smaller but much more about actual football talk.

We suffered together through some terrible coaches, some terrible free agent moves, we all rejoiced as we won the offseason every year then suffered as we failed every season. we had some great moments like Brunell beating the cowpies, and some horrible ones like the death of Sean Taylor and the Haynesworth debacle. We had members leave, Members get married, Members died. The one constant has been this place. we argue, we watch games together, this was where we came to suffer together.

Like Boone said we grow older and the games seem less important now, in all honesty, I have pretty much given up on the Team. I doubt we will make the playoffs and if we do I know we wont win in them. But I will still try to be here on games days when I can, to watch the games with people who I like watching with.

I still like the team, I still care if we win or not, its just not the most important thing to me anymore. Too much losing too many times with unexpected crapulence has smartened me up.

I will still come here to read posts, im not that far gone.

who knows maybe Gruden will get it together, I can hope so anyway. but if I gotta suffer, at least I will suffer with you asshats, and that makes a big difference. Oh and screw the cowpies

HTTR

Understandably, many fans have been brought down by all the drama in the offseason.
But remember - that's all it is - the offseason. None of this offseason drama counts in the standings this season.
And it doesn't necessarily have to impact the standings. Because most of it is off-field stuff. We're still fielding a very good team.
Remember all those years when we used to "win" the offseason. But found out that it meant nothing - zilch ?
So if we learned not to place much stock in the offseason when we win it - then why put stock in the offseason when we lose it ? It's equally unsensible.
The bottom line is what we do on the field. Forget all the off-field stuff, and all the drama, and all the media speculation, and remember we just put together the first back-to-back winning seasons in decades. There are those who discount that because we didn't make the playoffs, or barely had the winning record, or focus on all the things that went wrong. But the accomplishment stands, and none of those negatives can take it away.
Hold out hope at least until Sunday, because that is a fresh start. And what happens on the field is what matters.
And probably moreso than in a very long time, there's enough talent on this team, to get excited about.
So, forget the Soap Opera stuff, because this isn't a Soap Opera. THIS IS FOOTBALL.

Well, I don't think teams that have drama laden offseason's do well as a general rule. I think as fans we try to separate the season, from the offseason, but in reality it's a year round business. It should run smoothly as a business year round. I find myself in a very similar state as Ryman. I'll watch the games that are televised. I may or may not listen to the game on the radio if they're not on in my area. It's a bummer of a state. I'll hope like every year that the team rises up, but, if they don't I no longer let it impact me. Of course, come Sunday I'll be amped up. If they win my entire perspective on the season will change. At least for a week. :)

They've also had a lot of experience with guys going missing in action. It's their norm.

You go boy! Go and run away from this dumpster fire! I wish I was as strong as you. I want to get out, but every time, "they pull me back in."

I'm not almost done...I'll be rooting for an eternity probably. However, I will admit I've had the lowest level of anticipation of the season starting than I've ever had. That may all change once we hit Sunday and the football starts flying around, but I think I've been worn down by the drama and expectation setting we go through each year. I've noticed I rarely read now the pre-season updates in the Post and other media outlets because it's the same year to year. "Everything is going well.....we are excited by so and so......we're in position to make an impact...etc". Couple that with the disappointment of not getting Cousins signed long term (even if I don't believe he's a game changer), the Cravens revelation, and my still general uncertainty with Gruden's game day decision making, we are where we are. I would love to get back to where I was with the first two years of RGIII, but that's such an anomaly in the last 20 years.

But I so want them to prove my hesitation wrong and I'll be there for them regardless of what happens.

I'm tempering my optimism this year but I am optimistic.

One thing I found interesting is the fact that this team (I think I heard) has had an almost 50% turnover from last year. In some respects I wonder if that could help us. It seems like a long time since we've genuinely had a huge influx of new blood. Fingers crossed.

I'm all in! :D

At least the roster is now a pretty young one. Better to be young and not very good versus old and not very good.

I don't know how this season will go. I'm open to the possibility that we may struggle a bit with all of the changes (both in coaching, the impact of which is always underestimated, and on the roster). The 2017 schedule is no cakewalk and would be challenging no matter what the team's level of talent. And the NFC East seems to be on the rise again, although I think that may be a bit overblown (Philly is hardly a powerhouse despite the hype and we have largely owned them in recent seasons, Dallas is good but always a bit overrated, and the Giants are never going to resurrect an aging Eli Manning).

As for 'all of the drama' - I think you guys listen to too much sports talk radio and are on Twitter too much. The sum total of all the 'drama' includes:

1) Team parts ways with likely alcoholic GM.
2) Team unable to sign LTD with Cousins.
3) 2nd round draft pick leaves team, contemplating retirement for unknown reasons.

I'd characterize that as some mild turmoil - not major drama. I think you guys have forgotten what real drama looks like :) You know, things like open warfare between the owner and head coach, between the head coach and the chosen one (ie...diva QB), team owner making deals left and right, all of those kinds of things we actually have experienced.

As to the 'huge drama' cited in the 3 examples above, here's what I have to say. On the GM - many characterize his departure as some big drama-filled power struggle. Maybe that's what it was about. But I tend to believe he just couldn't do the job and stay on this side of sobriety. This is the THIRD GM job he's lost, not the first. Sometimes the most logical answer is the right one. On Cousins - there's been little 'drama' from the team or Cousins. Both have pretty much said the right things. Does that mean there's not a lot more going on behind the scenes? No. But I don't trust much of what I hear from 'experts' who like nothing more than to spew hate and drama at the Redskins ownership and front office. We may yet sign Cousins. The team hasn't handled him the way I would've liked them too. But I'll reserve judgement on how big a disaster that was until all the shoes have dropped. And finally, on Cravens departure - if he really doesn't come back and become a long-term contributor, I'll chalk that up to one of two things. Either McCloughan blew the pick (looking likely right now, and is evidenced by the fact that he is busy trying to justify the selection on Twitter) or it's just bad luck.

Drama, like most things in life, is all relative. We've seen a lot worse. What I'm most skeptical about is that any of the 3 issues above will have even a minimal impact on what happens on the field in 2017.

We haven't won the offseason championship in awhile and this team has improved but how much has it improved verses the competition is the main question that remains

I had the same thought about having a younger team.

The only negative was my thought right after that was 'good, the next coach is going to have better talent to work with'..................:baby:

Ryman, I have completely stopped following the team in the offseason. This is my first post in a while. I don't know what drama posters are talking about, and am glad not to know. I haven't watched any pre-season games, but from what I've read it wasn't pretty. Glad I didn't watch that either.

I have a bad feeling the team is going to suck this year. Seems like they always have terrible seasons after mediocre seasons, which is what I considered last year to be. I think they're going to regret letting both Garcon and Jackson go, but we shall see. I'm excited to watch though, and I'm going to root for them, and try to watch as many of the games as I can. I think the offseason is exhausting for Skins fans.

The Redskins made the right moves IMO to move on from 30-31 year old wide receivers who wanted long-terms deals to stay at top dollar.

This team is not close enough to a Super Bowl championship to sign onto deals that are basically put in place to get 1, perhaps 2 years of production out of players on the wrong side of 30.

With Jackson you always run the risk of one injury ending his career because his one asset is speed.

He lacks size, doesn't run the best routes and is reluctant to go inside and take a hit.

Oh, and he wants to be a producer of reality TV shows.

Once players are onto thinking about their next careers, they are one foot off the field.

You don't see Tom Brady and Adrian Peterson looking to life beyond football, at their respective ages they are still committed 100% to the game.

yes I understand your logic BT, but I think the presence of those 2 guys made everyone better. DJax stretched the field, and Garcon was a true pro who played hard every down and was a leader in the locker room and on the field. Losing both could wind up setting young players like Reed and Crowder, as well as the whole offense back. I also think Cousins really relied on those guys in big moments. If we could have only kept 1, we should have kept Garcon imo as he had been ultra-reliable in his time in DC.

Hopefully Doctson and Pryor well develop that same chemistry with Cousins, but I don't think it's going to happen quickly, and be smooth sailing for Cousins.

yes I understand your logic BT, but I think the presence of those 2 guys made everyone better. DJax stretched the field, and Garcon was a true pro who played hard every down and was a leader in the locker room and on the field. Losing both could wind up setting young players like Reed and Crowder, as well as the whole offense back. I also think Cousins really relied on those guys in big moments. If we could have only kept 1, we should have kept Garcon imo as he had been ultra-reliable in his time in DC.

Hopefully Doctson and Pryor well develop that same chemistry with Cousins, but I don't think it's going to happen quickly, and be smooth sailing for Cousins.

That's a whole lot of concluding based on 1 opening game. Reed is not 100%. Doctson is not 100%. Crowder wasn't even a guarantee to play. That's 3/4 of our best receivers who were banged up. Pryor will play better. And the offense will too imho. I liked Garcon, but he wasn't a game changer by any stretch. Again, just my opinion.

Btw - I recognize that every time someone posts something negative, I'm chiming in to argue (in my mind, trying to provide some balance). Don't get me wrong, I was running in and out of an empty patient room where I had the game on yesterday, and it was seriously pissing me off. After a game like that, you just want to cash in your fan chips and give up. But the truth is, the team has been better the past 2 seasons (not where we want them to be, but better) and it's way too early to give up on them. Could this be a very tough year with all of the changes and tough schedule? Sure - it's possible. Also possible that much of the change will prove to be positive. That could include the WRs, the playcalling, Cousins play, and certainly the defense.

Last edited:
That's a whole lot of concluding based on 1 opening game. Reed is not 100%. Doctson is not 100%. Crowder wasn't even a guarantee to play. That's 3/4 of our best receivers who were banged up. Pryor will play better. And the offense will too imho. I liked Garcon, but he wasn't a game changer by any stretch. Again, just my opinion.

Btw - I recognize that every time someone posts something negative, I'm chiming in to argue (in my mind, trying to provide some balance). Don't get me wrong, I was running in and out of an empty patient room where I had the game on yesterday, and it was seriously pissing me off. After a game like that, you just want to cash in your fan chips and give up. But the truth is, the team has been better the past 2 seasons (not where we want them to be, but better) and it's way too early to give up on them. Could this be a very tough year with all of the changes and tough schedule? Sure - it's possible. Also possible that much of the change will prove to be positive. That could include the WRs, the playcalling, Cousins play, and certainly the defense.

Hi Boone, thanks for your reply. I actually was of that opinion before the first game, but the first game reinforced it for me. I did not know that Pryor and Doctson were playing banged up though, so maybe that was a factor. Cousins clearly did not look sharp or confident. Was losing his 2 starting wide outs a factor in that. I guess we'll see. I have been firmly in the "pay the man" camp for 2 years, but the way he looked against Philly, well I'm not so sure.

Kudos to you brother for staying positive, and sorry if I seem overly negative. I kinda go back and forth with my optimism. Last year at this time I really thought the skins were going to make a run deep into the playoffs, and honestly we should have imo with the amount of talent we had on offense. I felt the in game decision making as well as game planning by the coaching staff was often poor last season. Felt that way this past sunday too.

This season I'm just not feeling it. It just feels to me that we've taken a step backwards on offense, and while the defense should be better on paper, I'm not confident they'll be good enough to keep a struggling offense in games. I do think the defense will be better this year, but I'm not expecting dominance.

Anyways man I hope the Skins will surprise me. I will still watch the games with enthusiasm. Not following the team during the offseason has kept my attitude fresh, even if I don't believe they're going to be very good lol.

I'll chime in, F Dallas ... HTTR!! We're not fans because it's easy otherwise we'd all have quit years ago but there's two things that ring true, when our song plays it's like adrenaline and two only pussies give up, I don't believe redskins nation has those... plus I'm without power waiting to embarrass the rams go watch that game the colts couldn't have beaten Appalachian state.

All Hail Skins Orlando :cheers: and GSF - don't stop believing :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.