• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

PFT: Redskins considering Peyton, Flynn, Orton

BGO

The Washington Redskins had two quarterbacks who played in 2011:* Rex Grossman and John Beck. And so they are trying to upgrade.* Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Redskins have had internal discussions about pursuing (surprise, surprise) Peyton Manning, Packers quarterback Matt Flynn, and Chiefs quarterback Kyle Orton. Flynn and Orton will be free…
b.gif

More...

My prediction is they end up with Flynn. I think Peyton goes to Miami leaving us to sign Flynn.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Did I miss something? I thought the Browns were thought to be all over Flynn?

This is going to infuriate me. The browns will get RG3, and we'll have five more years of fail.

Are we going to consider Peyton? Word from the insiders is yes. It's not a done deal, but he is being considered.

Are we going to consider Orton? Yes.

Are we going to consider Flynn? No.

Are we going to go for RG3? Yep.

Florio is reaching here, but some of it is true.

BB, there have already been reports that we are considering Flynn, credible sources. If the Redskins' FO didn't at least consider him, they wouldn't be doing this team any justice. i am not saying they have to choose him, but if he wasn't at least considered...

Sounds like a simple case of due diligence. I'm sure several options will be "considered". My biggest concern is, if we end up with only Orton in FA, everyone will KNOW we're targeting RG3 and that will drive the price up. Jeff Fisher has already said this draft will determine the Rams future and that sounds an awful lot like their pick is going to the highest bidder. About the ONLY saving grace would be if Cleveland signs Matt Flynn.

On a more promising note, Manning has stated he's willing to defer any up front signing bonus to one that is contingent on making an Opening Day roster and/or number of games played. That could certainly give a team incentive.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7543001/peyton-manning-flexible-deal-demands-sources-say

BB, there have already been reports that we are considering Flynn, credible sources. If the Redskins' FO didn't at least consider him, they wouldn't be doing this team any justice. i am not saying they have to choose him, but if he wasn't at least considered...

I agree with that logic.

Most feel Flynn goes to Miami. Wouldn't mind Peyton going to Houston and them sending us Schuab. It's the offseason so time to dream.

The Giants just won a second Super Bowl depending on the qb and defensive line to lead the team.

First and second round picks were invested continually by the team to get performers at these positions, because they are the key to your club's success.

You don't need Jerry Rice at WR if you have a qb that is accurate and can make all the throws.

You don't need Deion Sanders at cornerback is your DL is putting the opposing qb on the turf.

There are lessons here for the Redskins.

#1 - don't chinze on the quarterback and try finding the 'cheapest' option. Go get a player you can look the media in the face with and say this guy has the talent to take us to a Super Bowl.

No more Rex Grossman type compromises to muddle through with.

Don't get carried away - the Giants have used a LOT of their 1st & 2nd round picks on WRs and DBs in the past few years.

Prince Amukamara - 9th overall 2011
Hakeem Nicks - 29th overall 2009
Kenny Phillips - 31st overall 2008
Terrell Thomas - 63rd overall 2008
Aaron Ross - 20th overall 2007
Steve Smith - 51st overall 2007
Sinorice Moss - 44th overall 2006
Corey Webster - 43rd overall 2005 (no 1st round pick - Manning trade)
Jeremy Shockey - 14th overall 2002
Tim Carter - 46th overall 2002

In fact, only twice since 2002 have they used a 1st and 2nd on DL both in the same draft - they've relied on good scouting to land great DL players later in the draft. Two of their main contributors for 2007 and 2011 were late rounders: Justin Tuck, 3rd rounder, Barry Cofield, 4th rounder.

It seems like the Giants are one of those teams that take the guy that slips in the draft.

Third and fourth are considered late rounds? That's a new one on me.

My point is that after years of uneven play at qb the Giants finally took the plunge with the trade up for Manning in 2004.

The team also continued to develop their defensive front with the selections of Kiwanuka and Pierre Paul after they already had legit starters in place.

So the transition was in place when Strahan retired and Umenyiora got hurt.

They weren't checking the waiver wire right away for starters!

Found out a short time ago that the Redskins have no interest in Orton.

Well, O'Halloran finally got the Flynn part of it corrected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.