• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Shanahan poll

I'm happy but still in "wait and see" mode.

This is where I stand. I'll believe it when I see it.

I gotta say I am not impressed with the hiring of a former Super Bowl winner who will come in here and probably be given too much responsibility. I favored a younger hungrier coach. Shanahan is 57 years old and I don't believe he is nearly as hungry as he once was. He will more than likely have final say in personnel matters, I am not so sure he deserves.

But, the one thing he brings that is appealing is the discipline this team has lacked, even under Coach Gibbs. Maybe he can make it work. I sure hope so!

So...we'll see.

there's no poll on the link.
If you go to the main page, the poll comes up.

I voted lukewarm.
The only poll is the following:

Vote or Die!

Who is the Redskins Defensive MVP

London Fletcher
Brian Orakpo
Andre Carter
Albert Hayensworth
Other

View Results
Share ThisPolldaddy.com

I'd like to believe he'll establish a real NFL presence in D.C. again.

What we've had here the last decade is an absurd approximation of an NFL team.

I agree with "Wait and see."

I gotta say I am not impressed with the hiring of a former Super Bowl winner who will come in here and probably be given too much responsibility. I favored a younger hungrier coach. Shanahan is 57 years old and I don't believe he is nearly as hungry as he once was. He will more than likely have final say in personnel matters, I am not so sure he deserves.

But, the one thing he brings that is appealing is the discipline this team has lacked, even under Coach Gibbs. Maybe he can make it work. I sure hope so!

So...we'll see.

I'm sure he'll be grooming the younger Shanny to take over in the future

"Wait and See" What's that, we finally get real football people into run this 10 year old day camp for misfits and ya'll want to "Wait and See".

To be a member of a team, you have to buy into the concept on which it is established and do what is best for everyone as a whole.

Taking a wait and see attitude means you're not really a member of the team and would prefer to sit on the outside and throw stones. We all need to get out of our glass houses, get behind the new organization and do what we can to support the Burgundy and Gold.

I for one am looking forward to the next five years and enjoying a real football team.

YES, I drank the cool-aid.

I think a lot of people voted "Wait and see" with the danny in mind. We'll wait and see if he butts out or not

That's me, too.

I was thinking about starting a thread for this, but this looks like a good place.

I think Shanahan (hope I'm spelling that right. Got to learn.) is a very good coach.

But then again, I think Joe Gibbs is the best coach in the history of the NFL. And he wasn't the savior who led us to The Promised Land. (I think Marty Schotenheimer was a very good NFL coach, too. And I think he had us going in the right direction, but wasn't given enough time.)

Maybe I'm just overly depressed. But I'm gonna wait to see it on the field.

(Which doesn't mean that I'm going to be calling for his firing if we're below 8-8 next year. I'm willing to give the man some time.)

I'm sure he'll be grooming the younger Shanny to take over in the future

And I've got no problem with that at all.

As long as he's grooming the team, too.

I like what is happening thus far. Kyle is coming in - that is good. If Zimmer can be brought in - even better. Get Alex Gibbs - that is great.

So far, so good.

I decided to buck the trend and say feel positive. Snyder is the wild card here, but think the Shanahan/Allen team will be strong enough to keep Snyder is the owner box.

The only thing that could give me a bad feeling is if Portis is on roster next year.

So...we'll see.

I've seen several references to a "hungry" coach. Based on what he's been doing over the last year, I'd say Shanahan is plenty hungry.

I tend to think Shnahan will be hungry as well. Gibbs walked away on his own terms and went to NASCAR (where he was successful). Shanahan was fired. I don’t care who you are or how much you are getting paid, that sticks with you.

I didn’t see him in the booth anywhere or working as a coordinator. He was stewing about being fired and about being a head coach again. I honestly believe that. Now he’s got his chance. He’s in New settings, new challenges. It should bring out the best in him.

I've seen several references to a "hungry" coach. Based on what he's been doing over the last year, I'd say Shanahan is plenty hungry.

I watched him in his press conference today and heard all the right things, but I didn't see fire! I did not see passion! I saw a level headed, disciplined man who has won it before and thinks he knows exactly what he needs to do to win it again. But I did not see the passion I saw in Mike Tomilin or Brad Childress (Not that he is that young) or Joe Gibbs when he was given the job in the early 80's.

I watched him in his press conference today and heard all the right things, but I didn't see fire! I did not see passion! I saw a level headed, disciplined man who has won it before and thinks he knows exactly what he needs to do to win it again. But I did not see the passion I saw in Mike Tomilin or Brad Childress (Not that he is that young) or Joe Gibbs when he was given the job in the early 80's.

You're basing this on his introductory conference? Really? :cool4:

Personally, I could care less how animated or loud a guy is at the lectern in front of cameras and the press. I'll judge MS's "hunger" based on reports out of Ashburn over the coming months when he's actually conducting the business of rebuilding this football team.

And by the way ... there was no live coverage of Joe Gibbs' introductory press conference (assuming there even was one) in 1980, but knowing Gibbs, my guess is if you were still awake by the end of it, you were thinking "ohmygod, they just hired a forensic accountant to run my football team."

Just sayin'.

You're basing this on his introductory conference? Really? :cool4:

Personally, I could care less how animated or loud a guy is at the lectern in front of cameras and the press. I'll judge MS's "hunger" based on reports out of Ashburn over the coming months when he's actually conducting the business of rebuilding this football team.

And by the way ... there was no live coverage of Joe Gibbs' introductory press conference (assuming there even was one) in 1980, but knowing Gibbs, my guess is if you were still awake by the end of it, you were thinking "ohmygod, they just hired a forensic accountant to run my football team."

Just sayin'.

Of course Gibbs', Tomlin's and Childress' desire/hunger/fire/passion are all statements based on retrospect. I did not see a single introductory conference for any of them. Please don't use the fact that I almost certainly did not see the Gibbs Press Conference in 1981 as support for the fact that you disagree with me. And yes, I am basing a majority of my view on what I saw in yesterday's introductory press conference.

Listen, I am not the football mind that many on this site are. I have admitted that in the past, but what I am good at is judging a man's character. I have been a fairly successful poker player for years, not because I am good at the game but because I can generally read the opposing players. Does that qualify me to read a man's passion? I don't know. All I can say is this is conjecture and you know this as well as I do.

Like I said in my post, I see a distinguished, experienced, disciplined coach, a well spoken man. He trotted out on stage and delivered a well rehearsed line. It was not moving or powerful or filled with anything other than a basic, "Hi! My name is Mike and I am the new coach." There was no passion and that doesn't mean he needed to raise his voice or get animated or cry. It just means I saw a very vanilla press conference that didn't impress me other than his reputation may put some fear into some veterans who think they can just get a paycheck out of this organization.

I see this move as a very similar move as Gibbs II. The difference is Bruce Allen and hopefully Shanahan will bring a better offense to town. I think we are in for a few 10 win seasons in the near future and perhaps a run at the NFC Championship game. I just don't see enough "hunger" in a former Super Bowl winning coach who seemed rather bland in his first news conference in DC as the New VP of Football Operations/Head Coach that will bring another SB to Washington. I see more mediocrity.

Am I right? Time will only tell, but I just don't see it with Shanahan.

Of course Gibbs', Tomlin's and Childress' desire/hunger/fire/passion are all statements based on retrospect. I did not see a single introductory conference for any of them. Please don't use the fact that I almost certainly did not see the Gibbs Press Conference in 1981 as support for the fact that you disagree with me. And yes, I am basing a majority of my view on what I saw in yesterday's introductory press conference.
I don't. Please give me a little more credit than that. I used the Gibbs reference to point out the fact that no one could possibly have gleaned anything about Gibbs' passion based on any press conference he ever gave. People have different public speaking styles, and different kinds of appearances require different kinds of approaches.

I just think reading a "lack of hunger" or passion based on yesterday's scripted, check-the-box presser is, with all due respect, more a case of superimposing your own concerns/beliefs on a televised scripted event than any reflection on Mike Shanahan's level of motivation.

Listen, I am not the football mind that many on this site are. I have admitted that in the past, but what I am good at is judging a man's character. I have been a fairly successful poker player for years, not because I am good at the game but because I can generally read the opposing players. Does that qualify me to read a man's passion? I don't know. All I can say is this is conjecture and you know this as well as I do.
This has nothing to do with "football mind," it has to do with reading "lack of hunger" or passion in Mike Shanahan based on a 20-minute scripted "Introducing Coach to Washington" circus. Had you sat across from Mike at a poker game, however, and looked into his eyes, and still came away convinced he has no passion, that would be different.

Actually ... it wouldn't. I'd still say it has almost zero direct correlation to how well he will perform his job as head coach of the Washington Redskins. :)

Like I said in my post, I see a distinguished, experienced, disciplined coach, a well spoken man. He trotted out on stage and delivered a well rehearsed line. It was not moving or powerful or filled with anything other than a basic, "Hi! My name is Mike and I am the new coach." There was no passion and that doesn't mean he needed to raise his voice or get animated or cry. It just means I saw a very vanilla press conference that didn't impress me other than his reputation may put some fear into some veterans who think they can just get a paycheck out of this organization.
The bolded part we agree on. The rest I respectfully submit is a reflection of your own well-stated reservations coming in about Mike Shanahan.

I see this move as a very similar move as Gibbs II. The difference is Bruce Allen and hopefully Shanahan will bring a better offense to town. I think we are in for a few 10 win seasons in the near future and perhaps a run at the NFC Championship game. I just don't see enough "hunger" in a former Super Bowl winning coach who seemed rather bland in his first news conference in DC as the New VP of Football Operations/Head Coach that will bring another SB to Washington. I see more mediocrity.

Am I right? Time will only tell, but I just don't see it with Shanahan.
There are a lot of differences between this and Gibbs II, as I know you know... the two most glaringly obvious and important being

1) Gibbs was gone 11 years; Shanahan's been gone 1.

2) Gibbs worked within the same Vinny Cerrato/Dan Snyder framework we knew going in was not functional. Shanahan's going to work with Bruce Allen, whoever else may be brought in to help with personnel, and to some unknown extent at this time, Dan Snyder. I don't think I need to stress how different those two landscapes are.

As to the "hunger" thing ... again, I respect your opinion, but I looked at the same exact televised scripted presser and walked away with an entirely different take. And I'm not a guy assuming this is all going to be sweetness, light and Lombardi Trophy's from here on out either. I'm approaching this with cautious optimism, yes, but I intend to formulate my opinions on Shanahan's degree of "hunger" or "passion" (to the extent they matter at this point) based on what I see over the next year or two, as reflected in deeds, not a few minutes on camera in January.

Last edited:
2) Gibbs worked within the same Vinny Cerrato/Dan Snyder framework we knew going in was not functional. Shanahan's going to work with Bruce Allen, whoever else may be brought in to help with personnel, and to some unknown extent at this time, Dan Snyder. I don't think I need to stress how different those two landscapes are.

Well, we'll see. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.