• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Bruce Allen - a draft history

Lanky Livingston

Here are the draft picks from Bruce with the Raiders and the Bucs - I included all the years he was with the teams, even though I'm not sure fully how much input he had in the drafts. He was a "senior executive" with the Raiders, and GM with the Bucs, so I'm assuming he had at least some pull. Its kind of a mixed bag, with some hits and some busts - most importantly (and most distressing) he seems to have an eye for offensive linemen, but doesn't draft a whole lot of them. Arron Sears in the 2nd, Jeremy Zuttah in the 3rd, Davin Joseph in the 1st are all great picks.

2008 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 20 Aqib Talib CB Kansas
2 58 Dexter Jackson WR Appalachian State
3 83 Jeremy Zuttah G Rutgers
4 115 Dre Moore DT Maryland
5 160 Josh Johnson QB San Diego
6 175 Geno Hayes OLB Florida State
7 238 Cory Boyd RB South Carolina

2007 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Rd Sel Player Position School
1 4 Gaines Adams DE Clemson
2 35 Arron Sears G Tennessee
2 64 Sabby Piscitelli SAF Oregon State
3 68 Quincy Black LB New Mexico
4 106 Tanard Jackson FS Syracuse
5 141 Greg Peterson DT North Carolina Central
6 182 Adam Hayward LB Portland State
7 214 Chris Denman T Fresno State
7 245 Marcus Hamilton CB Virginia
7 246 Kenneth Darby RB Alabama

2006 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 23 Davin Joseph G Oklahoma
2 59 Jeremy Trueblood T Boston College
3 90 Maurice Stovall WR Notre Dame
4 122 Alan Zemaitis CB Penn State
5 156 Julian Jenkins DE Stanford
6 194 Bruce Gradkowski QB Toledo
6 202 T.J. Williams TE North Carolina State
7 235 Justin Phinisee CB Oregon
7 241 Charles Bennett DE Clemson
7 244 Tim Massaquoi TE Michigan

2005 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 5 Cadillac Williams RB Auburn
2 36 Barrett Ruud LB Nebraska
3 71 Alex Smith TE Stanford
3 91 Chris Colmer T North Carolina State
4 107 Dan Buenning G Wisconsin
5 141 Donte Nicholson DB Oklahoma
5 155 Larry Brackins -- Pearl River CC MS
6 178 Anthony Bryant DT Alabama
7 221 Rick Razzano RB Mississippi
7 225 Paris Warren WR Utah
7 231 Hamza Abdullah DB Washington State
7 253 J.R. Russell WR Louisville

2004 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 15 Michael Clayton WR Louisiana State
3 79 Marquis Cooper LB Washington
4 111 Will Allen SAF Ohio State
5 146 Jeb Terry G North Carolina
6 181 Nate Lawrie TE Yale
7 206 Mark Jones WR Tennessee
7 228 Casey Cramer RB Dartmouth
7 252 Lenny Williams CB Southern University

2003 - Oakland Raiders
1 31 Nnamdi Asomugha CB California
1 32 Tyler Brayton DE Colorado
2 63 Teyo Johnson TE Stanford
3 83 Sam Williams DE Fresno State
3 96 Justin Fargas RB USC
4 129 Shurron Pierson DE South Florida
5 167 Doug Gabriel WR Central Florida
6 204 Dustin Rykert -- Brigham Young
7 246 Siddeeq Shabazz DB New Mexico State
7 262 Ryan Hoag WR Gustavus Adolphus

2002 - Oakland Raiders
1 17 Phillip Buchanon CB Miami (Fla.)
1 23 Napoleon Harris MLB Northwestern
2 53 Langston Walker T California
2 55 Doug Jolley TE Brigham Young
5 147 Kenyon Coleman DE UCLA
6 189 Keyon Nash DB Albany State (Ga.)
6 197 Larry Ned RB San Diego State
7 235 Ronald Curry QB North Carolina

2001 - Oakland Raiders
1 28 Derrick Gibson DB Florida State
2 59 Marques Tuiasosopo QB Washington
3 89 DeLawrence Grant DE Oregon State
5 158 Raymond Perryman DB Northern Arizona
6 184 Chris Cooper DT Nebraska-Omaha
7 228 Derek Combs DB Ohio State
7 229 Ken-Yon Rambo WR Ohio State

2000 - Oakland Raiders
1 17 Sebastian Janikowski K Florida State
2 47 Jerry Porter WR West Virginia
4 107 Junior Ioane DT Arizona State
5 142 Shane Lechler P Texas A&M
7 227 Mondriel Fulcher TE Miami (Fla.)
7 231 Clifton Black -- Texas State

1999 - Oakland Raiders
1 18 Matt Stinchcomb T Georgia
2 40 Tony Bryant DE Florida State
4 102 Dameane Douglas WR California
5 146 Eric Barton LB Maryland
5 153 Rod Coleman DT East Carolina
6 188 Daren Yancey -- Brigham Young
7 224 JoJuan Armour LB Miami (Ohio)

1998 - Oakland Raiders
1 4 Charles Woodson CB Michigan
1 23 Mo Collins T Florida
2 31 Leon Bender -- Washington State
3 63 Jon Ritchie RB Stanford
4 109 Gennaro DiNapoli G Virginia Tech
5 127 Jeremy Brigham TE Washington
5 152 Travian Smith LB Oklahoma
7 230 Vince Amey DE Arizona State
7 235 David Sanders -- Arkansas

1997 - Oakland Raiders
1 2 Darrell Russell DE USC
3 72 Adam Treu G Nebraska
3 85 Tim Kohn G Iowa State
4 123 Chad Levitt RB Cornell
6 172 Calvin Branch CB Colorado State
6 193 Grady Jackson DE Knoxville

1996 - Oakland Raiders
1 9 Rickey Dudley TE Ohio State
2 57 Lance Johnstone DE Temple
5 166 La'Roi Glover DT San Diego State
6 183 Tim Hall RB Robert Morris
7 220 Sedric Clark LB Tulsa
7 224 Darius Smith -- Sam Houston State
7 248 Joey Wylie -- Stephen F. Austin St.

As to 2003, I'm not sure if Allen was there for that draft, but Nnamdi Asomugha has become "the" elite cover-CB in the NFL, and I don't believe was on a lot of people's radars. Another great pick there.

The other thing I like is that when he takes linemen, they are in the first 3 rounds or so. What a difference from what we have had here for the last decade.

The other thing I like is that when he takes linemen, they are in the first 3 rounds or so. What a difference from what we have had here for the last decade.

Interesting implications for 2010, indeed. I still am cautious, right at the moment, because of uncertainty about the level of involvement Danny may or may not have regarding draft decisions-guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Thanks for the research!

I'm still of a mind that anyone is better than vinny

Appreciate the time and effort, Lanky. Was going to tackle this myself but knew I wouldn't get to it before tonight.

Quick observation that should make Redskins fan smile ...

In five years as GM in Tampa, Mr. Allen made no less than seven picks in each draft.

In 2005 he made twelve picks.

In '06 and '07 he made ten each.

Here's hoping that trend continues in his new job.

The other notable thing is that he seems to prefer starting a veteran QB, and drafting replacements in the later rounds. Gannon in Oakland, Garthia in Tampa are examples of this. And they seem to pan out - the jury is still out on Johnson, but Gradkowski seems to be a decent QB (if he can stay healthy). Tui was a miss at QB, and the highest one picked.

I've heard a lot of people say that his picks weren't that great. I think as long as Scott Campbell and Morroco Brown are still picking people for the draft board and our scouts are still doing a bang up job, Bruce will be able to make better picks than he was perhaps able to make in Tampa Bay. Maybe he'll bring in his own people though, I don't know.

I've heard a lot of people say that his picks weren't that great. I think as long as Scott Campbell and Morroco Brown are still picking people for the draft board and our scouts are still doing a bang up job, Bruce will be able to make better picks than he was perhaps able to make in Tampa Bay. Maybe he'll bring in his own people though, I don't know.

From the look of it, he's money in the bank in the first two rounds, but there aren't a whole lot of late-round steals in there. This might be where we miss Vinny...he's not much of a GM, but he's a pretty good scout of late-round talent.

Also, Brown is the director of pro-personnel, I don't think he does much college scouting.

From the look of it, he's money in the bank in the first two rounds, but there aren't a whole lot of late-round steals in there. This might be where we miss Vinny...he's not much of a GM, but he's a pretty good scout of late-round talent.

Also, Brown is the director of pro-personnel, I don't think he does much college scouting.

I'm relatively sure Scott Campbell is responsible for our late round picks including Horton and Mitchell.

I wasnt really thrilled with the choice of Allen but I'm not at all bothered by it either. We couldve done better, say R. McKay for example, but I'm just glad to FINALLY have someone halfway competent running things for a change.

What jumps out at me about his record is that his earlier drafts seem to be better than later ones. I have to wonder if that perhaps reflects Chucky's influence on the process. If so and if the other half of today's good news is that Chucky will be our next HC as has been rumored, I hope Allen retains more independence this time around.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I'm relatively sure Scott Campbell is responsible for our late round picks including Horton and Mitchell.

Hmm, in that case we might be all right. But LaCanfora is reporting the house-cleaning isn't done yet, and Snyder is looking for a top personnel guy also. So maybe Campbell is gonna be fired also? I dunno...

Jasno also saying Eric DeCosta is a good possibility, Ozzie Newsome's first LT in Baltimore, who began his career in DC, and was almost hired twice to replace Vinny during Gibbs' regime. I find that last bit the most interesting...

Hmm, in that case we might be all right. But LaCanfora is reporting the house-cleaning isn't done yet, and Snyder is looking for a top personnel guy also. So maybe Campbell is gonna be fired also? I dunno...

it's certainly possible, I think it might be a mistake but I just hope it's Bruce Allen calling the shots on this type of thing and not Dan.

If you look at the DC Sports report thread, it seems like Allen may not be here for personnel, and Snyder is still looking for a guy to fill that role.

Remember in Oakland he had Al Davis pulling the strings more often than not. So be careful on judging the Raider picks.

If you look at the DC Sports report thread, it seems like Allen may not be here for personnel, and Snyder is still looking for a guy to fill that role.

Now that Allen is GM, he's the one that should and will be picking said person, not Dan. Otherwise this is all just a charade.

I'm still of a mind that anyone is better than vinny
I feel ya. Same way I felt about Sean Squeezumm.

I will say this about Allen though.

I doubt he had much to do with the personal picks with Al Davis.

I also doubt he had much to do with John Gurden.

I'm under the impression he is more the numbers guy as in salary, and cap.
:kick_can:

I heard the same thing. One thing Allen brings to the table is his personality. He will be seen working with the media and others in the community. I see Allen being a good PR guy...something Vinny failed to do.

I feel ya. Same way I felt about Sean Squeezumm.

I will say this about Allen though.

I doubt he had much to do with the personal picks with Al Davis.

I also doubt he had much to do with John Gruden.

Gruden gave a statement, and said Allen was a big part of his coaching success - take it for what its worth I guess? I think Allen will be more than a numbers guy, he'll also negotiate trades, contracts, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.