• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Something Positive

Dallas Cowboys: What losing Terrell McClain would do to Cowboys; why D-Ware's return to Dallas isn't likely | SportsDay

These five under-the-radar NFL free agents will end up being big factors in 2017 - CBSSports.com

The links above are just a couple of positive articles I've read about McClain and McGee. Additionally, the guarantees in McGee's contract don't make his deal as large as it initially seems when you read the 5yr/25M headline. Not sure about everybody else, but I see both these deals as ones that are logical. Combine both of these with the Swearinger signing and you're getting players with some upside, youth, and most importantly, players that address major areas of need. If the signings don't work out for whatever reason, then they don't work out. Every team has free agency hits and misses. There are a lot of factors that will play into that and only time will tell. In the meantime, none of these three players in isolation are being touted as being saviours for the defense, but I like that we aren't taking a quick-fix, bandaid approach. It will be even more promising if we continue to pursue d-line and secondary in the rest of the free agency period and the draft, thereby acknowledging that these guys in isolation aren't enough, but could factor in as important pieces of a larger puzzle.

People can buy into the media circus surrounding this franchise all they want - it seems to be the fashionable thing to do. In the meantime, on day one of free agency, I think we quietly completed some sensible, yet not flashy deals that will help us come September.

People can buy into the media circus surrounding this franchise all they want - it seems to be the fashionable thing to do. In the meantime, on day one of free agency, I think we quietly completed some sensible, yet not flashy deals that will help us come September.

This has pretty much been the m/o of the FO for the last 5 years...mid range guys, young and affordable...with the occasional splash on a young, super star.

Regardless of what the team does, I will always have my BGO family

I feel the same way. Good lord, you see the nastiness elsewhere on social media - it is so refreshing and comforting to be able to log-in and know we can discuss, commiserate, and even disagree without demeaning and attacking one another. You people are awesome! :cheers:

It's very possible that this year's offense may have zero weaknesses.

Uncertainty at TE, will Reed remain uninjured? Is Niles Paul even going to make the team?

LG and Center are both weaknesses. Spencer Long was an improvement at C, but still not a true NFL C...it helps having a great RG next to him, but on the other side? That's the biggest offensive weakness. Lavaou is still the starter, which means the youth cannot displace a poor LG.

WR, you guys can googoo all over Terelle Pryor all you want, but he's only one player. I like Jamison Crowder and have stated I believe he can do some of what Desean Jackson can do, but he has to prove he can...uncertain. Josh Doctson can continue to abuse a poor CB in Breeland in practice, but he has done nothing on the field either because of injury. We have no proven WR on the team...and yes, I'm saying Terelle Pryor is unproven, he had one very good season for a team that had to throw the ball all the time to try to come back...they're called trash time stats.

RB? That's not a weakness? Rob Kelly appears to be the starter, he's not a starting RB in this league...he's a very solid backup. Last year was proof he could not carry the entire load. Perine is a rookie, can he? Who knows? But he hasn't proven anything yet. Chris Thompson is a very solid 3rd down back and has proven he can fill in just fine on limited carries.

Cousins is stilla weakness in the big game, until he shows otherwise.

Fear, you're wearing burgundy and gold glasses if you truly believe this offense has no weaknesses. They're there, you choose not to see them.

I have to admit.......I'm kinda pissed that I missed the debut of Hard Knocks tonight.

Swaggy and Desean with the Bucs interests me. Speaking of great offenses, that Bucs offense looks ready to make some noise.

Uncertainty at TE, will Reed remain uninjured? Is Niles Paul even going to make the team?

LG and Center are both weaknesses. Spencer Long was an improvement at C, but still not a true NFL C...it helps having a great RG next to him, but on the other side? That's the biggest offensive weakness. Lavaou is still the starter, which means the youth cannot displace a poor LG.

WR, you guys can googoo all over Terelle Pryor all you want, but he's only one player. I like Jamison Crowder and have stated I believe he can do some of what Desean Jackson can do, but he has to prove he can...uncertain. Josh Doctson can continue to abuse a poor CB in Breeland in practice, but he has done nothing on the field either because of injury. We have no proven WR on the team...and yes, I'm saying Terelle Pryor is unproven, he had one very good season for a team that had to throw the ball all the time to try to come back...they're called trash time stats.

RB? That's not a weakness? Rob Kelly appears to be the starter, he's not a starting RB in this league...he's a very solid backup. Last year was proof he could not carry the entire load. Perine is a rookie, can he? Who knows? But he hasn't proven anything yet. Chris Thompson is a very solid 3rd down back and has proven he can fill in just fine on limited carries.

Fear, you're wearing burgundy and gold glasses if you truly believe this offense has no weaknesses. They're there, you choose not to see them.

I agree on Reed. If he's not in there, we're a different offense immediately. While it might be technically true, the 'We have no proven WR on this team' is overstating it. Crowder has proven he can be an effective (and maybe better than that) starter. Pryor is coming off a huge season, his first full season at WR ever, with a bunch of no name QBs throwing to him - that's impressive to say the least. And Doctson, if he really is 100% was a helluva college receiver. You add in Grant (yeah, I know, show me) and Mo Harris, and that's a pretty solid group.

Questions at RB? Sure. Weakness? I don't think so. Our weakness is our seeming lack of commitment/desire to run the ball consistently, not the horses in the stable.

On the rest I agree. We made the deliberate decision this offseason to go young. That creates uncertainty, not necessarily weakness. I think Fear's post misses the point though, as even with the 'loss' (an overhyped one imo) of some offensive juice, it will be improvements on defense that make or break us this year. With Cousins and at worst, solid talent, at skill positions on offense, we'll score plenty. It will be the steps made in scheme, mentality, and talent on defense that determines where we stand at the end of this season.

The terms of my statement are really getting mis-interpreted.
I said it's "very possible" that the offense will have "zero weaknesses".
But it's being translated as if "very possible" means a total certainty. And translated as if having "zero weaknesses" means perfection.

Gruden says he "fully expects" Reed to be ready for the season opener.
Niles Paul is a virtual lock to be the 3rd TE. Havn't you always raved about his ST abilities in the past, which make him so valuable ? But even in the chance Paul doesn't make the team, that's actually completely irrelevant to my statement.
I'm talking about the 11 men we DO put on the field on offense. So I don't understand why you would bring up someone who you believe may NOT be on the roster.

LG and Center, we're not even done with. They're looking at replacing Long with Roullier. And replacing Lavao with Long.

Pryor compiled his stats with 5 different scrubs at QB. That says something. And they're not trash-time stats. If that were true, then all of the bottom-feeder teams would have a receiver with Pryor's numbers. But they don't.

Doctson, in a small window, in the regular season last year, proved what he can do against NFL starters. There is really no legitimate reason to doubt what he can do in this league.

RB is automatically an upgrade with Perine. You keep bringing up the word "unproven". But again, I did not say it was a certainty. The term was "very possible", meaning there is strong reason to believe he will make the backfield better. And Kelly is in better shape than he was last year, and with another year experience under his belt.

And Cousins ? We're talking about "weaknesses", and you bring up our best player on offense, and the best player on our team, easily a Top 10 QB, and quite possibly a Top 5 QB. How is Cousins even remotely a weakness at QB ? It sounds as if your definition of not having a weakness, means reaching perfection.

This is the offense that there's a high likelihood that we field (the Roullier/Long move may take some time, and likely not at the season opener) :

Pryor
Doctson
Crowder
Reed

Moses
Scherff
Roullier
Long
Williams

Cousins
Perine/Kelly/Thompson rotation, with Paul at both FB/TE

That lineup there looks solid from top to bottom.
Again, I said it's very possible we end up with this lineup, and it's very possible that none of them is going to be a serious weak link.
I didn't say they were all going to be Pro-Bowlers.
A weakness, I would define as a position with someone below average.

I think Fear's post misses the point though, as even with the 'loss' (an overhyped one imo) of some offensive juice, it will be improvements on defense that make or break us this year.

While it may be true that our overall success hinges greatly on how much our defense has improved, my statement was directed exclusively at the offense, and not the defense, or the overall team.

Two things, uncertainty is a weakness. And this is the positive thread and I took a dump all over it.

I will let it go at that.

Although they didn't always make the play, I didn't notice too many defensive guys being out of position.
The D, considering it was the 1st preseason game, showed potential.
Of course, having nowhere to go but up, they should have.
And they did.

Yeah you have to have a little bit of patience when talking about tackling and things like that during the 1st preseason game. It's the first live action they've seen and they need to get back into the muscle memory of not pulling up like they do in camp. Same thing with catching. The ball moves faster and different in live fire then it does in practice reps and off the jugs machine... knock the rust off and get back at it in 7 days..

Yeah that, and the fact that guys weren't confused, looking around, wondering where the hell they were supposed to be. Even the 3's and 4's appeared to know there assignments. Even if they didn't perform them as planned.

Dedication to the trenches:
Callahan - viewed as one of the top offensive line coaches in football
Tomsula - viewed as one of the top defensive line coaches in football
Good teams normally have one - rarely have two
==============================
Cowboys O-line has collapsed on right side - retirement of Free at tackle and loss of Guard
Let's see what happens without Calihan to coach up the replacements - didn't look to good
Against Rams last night

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.