• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

MMA: UFC, Strikeforce, etc.

his eyebrows look like one big scar tissue.

but he can fight..thats for sure.

unreal that jardine was given that fight. in no way do i think he won.

I can't believe they gave a round to Jardine. The only reason it could have been a draw is if they did, but a couple of take downs does not negate the fact that Jardine was beaten up! Terrible call.

i thought the poll question was a joke too. "Do you want to see strikeforce fighthers fight UFC fighters?" i wanna see anyone and everyone fight!! if youre the same weight and sex, you should fight!!

Zuffa just buys everything...amazing they almost have a monopoly.

I have no problem with them owning everything as long as we continue to see good fights! I would like to see Frank Shamrock stop calling fights, so that could be good.

I'll tell you what I would like to see first.

BJ Penn v. Glibert Melendez - I think this would be a good indicator of how good the competition is at Strikeforce compared to UFC. The winner fights the winner of Frankie Edgar and Gray Maynard.

Dan Henderson needs to fight someone like Shogun or Lyoto Machida, although Machida has a tough fight scheduled against Couture. I think Machida beats Randy.

I don't know enough about Strikeforce's 185 class to know who could even compete with the Spider.

And it will be interesting to see how the whole Strikeforce Heavy Weight Tournament pans out since Dana White has expressed his dislike for tournament competition.

i wonder if the rumor about Fedor retiring are real or not. I deleted him off of my Facebook after the whining started but it sounded like he might be done.

I thought the same thing, but a huge payday for Fedor could be in the works, depending on how Couture does against Machida. A Fedor v. Couture matchup has been one of the most anticipated fights in MMA history. If Dana White can get Fedor to come back and fight Couture, it would be epic! I don't think it should be because both are aged, but the names alone would be the stuff for legend.

Right now I think the Shield's/GSP fight will give us somewhat of an indicator about Strikeforce competition but not enough to guage whether each champion can compete against the latter. I'd like to see Zuffa keep the two entities seperate much like I had wished they'd done with Pride. So there'd be double belts for each weightclass, whoopdee doo there are now. Atleast you keep things fresh by not having everything under the UFC banner and possibly get more entertaining fights from newcomers and sub-par names then we get now. Hell at this point in time, start a rivalry between the two promotions, let things build and simmer over which champs are better (some of course are without question Silva, GSP if he works Shields)but see if you can get a dominant champion in each promotion and then let the match happen. Holy run on sentence batman but I'm not retyping it.

SO, that would be fine by me. The Diaz v. Daley fight the other night was short, but damn good! Provided GSP handles Shields, like I believe he will, Diaz v. GSP should be the next step at the Welterweight Division. That build up is there. Melendez, on the other hand needs to beat a fighter like BJ Penn or the like since he has not dominated the Lightweights the way Diaz has the Welterweights.

Hype doesn't interest me as much as I just want to see fights that are entertaining. The only problem I see with different leagues owned by the same company is that there ends up being too much flair and not enough substance, especially if one league is superior to the other, which UFC seems to be. I would think they could use the contract Strikeforce has with Showtime to build the lesser fighters sprinkling in a big name or two to appease the fans while continuing the Pay-per-view with the top flight fighters.

But, the scenario you described could be a money maker so we'll see how Dana and the Zuffa boys handle it. They seem to have that Midas touch.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who thinks that GSP has become one dimensional? Last 2 fights he has wrestled both Koshchek and Hardy to the ground and then just laid on them. He isnt putting on the same fights he used to. I get it is a good strategy but I watch the UFC for blood and KOs. not someone doing what it takes to win...

I didn't catch this when you first posted, but GSP beat Koschek in their second fight by landing a stiff jab on Koschek's eye most of the fight. He shut Koschek's in the first round with it.

GSP brought Freddie Roach in to train him in boxing leading up to this fight. I was not a fan of GSP when I first started watching, but the man is a genuine artist who is willing to do whatever he can to be better.

Hmm sounds like mike is looking for a Sig bet on the gsp fight. Something we may need to incorporate into the mma thread.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

The only thing I miss about that "other" place is the MMA thread and the fun everyone had in it. Plus I think it can make any ppv better since you've set a challenge against someone else.

randy vs lyoto? no way randy wins that..he says its his last match but i cant see him retiring with a big loss like that.

hes going to hang around too long like every great athlete and get hurt

I think he has at least one more fight against Fedor for a huge payday.

Machid'as KO was honestly one of the coolest things I've seen, sad to see Randy go out with a loss but seriously that was Daniel-son ish.

Yeah, once Dana offers Randy the biggest pay day he's ever seen to fight Fedor he will come back one more time. I would bet that could be a 7 digit pay off for the winner.

I understand the hype surrounding that match especially if Fedor doesn't fight again and if Randy comes back it'll be "the final battle in their careers". However, personally I don't want that fight to happen, four years ago, yes. Now Randy is appearing far past his prime and Fedor might not have the will. As you said of course, money is a motivator.

I understand the hype surrounding that match especially if Fedor doesn't fight again and if Randy comes back it'll be "the final battle in their careers". However, personally I don't want that fight to happen, four years ago, yes. Now Randy is appearing far past his prime and Fedor might not have the will. As you said of course, money is a motivator.

You are absolutely right about both fighters looking deflated after their last fights. But this match has been hyped in the MMA world for a long time. Neither guy has seen a 7 digit pay out and I think the marketing machine that Zuffa is could put that kind of payday together for the winner, loser taking a big payday as well. It would be more than any fighter has ever seen for a single fight and could be a nice way to go into retirement.

I mean look at how hyped last night's fights were, they had 55,000 in the stands last night. They are filling arenas, easily, now stadiums. Could you imagine the media blitz they would put together for Fedor/Couture?

It may never happen, you're right. I am not even sure I would want to see it, well I probably would. But it wouldn't be like we were gonna watch Jon Jones v. Rashad Evans. Just two legends past their prime but able to put arses in seats because of the lore.

both gray and frankie pulled up lame.

so did brock...

makes me think that maybe dana is trying to do too much. the fight cards are becoming thinner and thinner and starting to downright suck in some cases.

Yeah, I like once a month fighting, but it may be too much to keep quality cards together.

I think the solution to the issue with fighters getting injured is to start off with putting together better cards. There is tons of talent that zuffa has now, no reason to have cards where if two fights go to the pits there can't be recovery. They might as well make this next one a live on spike, I don't know a single person who'll shell out the duckets for this.

I think the solution to the issue with fighters getting injured is to start off with putting together better cards. There is tons of talent that zuffa has now, no reason to have cards where if two fights go to the pits there can't be recovery. They might as well make this next one a live on spike, I don't know a single person who'll shell out the duckets for this.

Yeah, there is no way I would shell out duckets for this card. I think the Mir/Nelson fight could be entertaining. Hamill is a middle of the road Light Heavyweight and which Rampage will show up? Anyone know anything about the kid Story who is fighting Thiago?

I think you're right SO, this should be chalked up as a loss and broadcast on Spike.

This card is as weak as a 3 day old legless puppy at this point but here's my picks.

Hamill over Jackson by decision - Jackson gasses after the first, Hamill can't put him away but gets the win. Is this considered an upset?? Maybe 4 years ago, if Rampage seriously trained and seriously wants to fight I'll be wrong but he's been lackluster for awhile.

Nelson over Mir - TKO in round 2, Mir's going to want to show he can bang and be exciting after his last fight with Mirko. Bad medicine when you're fighting the equivalent of the towns drunk brawler.

Struve over Browne - Submission round 2

Alves over Story - TKO round 3, I don't know much about Story so this really is a name recognition pick.

Santiago vs Stann - notice I didn't make a pick, it's because this is a dgaf fight for me :)

Let me admit my faults, Brian Stann is a fighter, dude was throwing bombs.

Let me admit my faults, Brian Stann is a fighter, dude was throwing bombs.

Yeah, that's the second time I have seen the heavy handed Stann fight. The first fight ended much like that one.

I am surprised you chose Nelson over Mir. I can understand your reasoning, but all Nelson has is a heavy right hand. Mir is one of the most talented heavyweights.

Now, here goes Thiago and Story. Thiago is a beast, but I have heard Story can fight.

Story looked great in the 1st 2 rounds, but he is damn lucky he didn't get knocked out in the 3rd. Kid has a chin! Silva hit him with some good shots. I thought that knee about a minute into the 3rd round had him rocked.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.