• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018

Has to be all about the benjamin's @Om.

Looks like we're working on Plan B, which as we all know, ain't nearly as good as Plan A...

I say we get ‘em both.

Only half kidding. Been a lifetime since our DL was a straight up strength ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really think letting Hankins leave the park without a deal was a mistake although admittedly we don't know what was offered and what he's asking. Meh - seems like we will never have a dominating DL.

Ryan Grant to the Colts.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mock Drafts, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2018​

Greetings from BBQ. We hope your week is going well. Free Agency continues as it enters the second week of business. The second wave of signings is well underway and the Redskins have been active.

OTAs, the draft, mini camps, and training camp will be here before you know it, but we're talking free agency now and all the trades, re-signings, tags, releases, new free agents, and re-worked contracts are becoming known.

Who will we target in free agency? Who will we re-sign? Who will we not re-sign? Who will get released? Feel free to offer your opinions and predictions.

We take the latest chatter from Redskins Park and media pundits as BBQ tries to formulate what could happen in the coming days, weeks and months.

Free Agents Obtained:
Paul Richardson, WR – (Signed Five Year Deal, 3/15/18)
Sam Irwin Hill, P – (Details To Come)
Orlando Scandrick, CB (Signed Two Year Deal, 3/19/18)

Free Agents Re-signed:
Quinton Dunbar, CB/ST – (Signed Three Year Deal, 1/1/18)
Mason Foster, ILB – (Signed Two Year Deal, 1/25/18)
Deshazor Everett, SS/ST – (Signed Two Year Deal, 3/6/18)
Dustin Hopkins, K – (Signed Three Year Deal, 3/12/18)
Brian Quick, WR – (Signed, 3/14/18)
Zach Brown, ILB – (Signed Three Year Deal, 3/15/18)

Trade:
Alex Smith, QB
Kendall Fuller, CB (Traded to the Chiefs)

Restricted Free Agents:
Ty Nsehke, OT – Tendered (Second Round Tender, 3/12/18)

Exclusive Rights Free Agents:

Contract Extension:
Alex Smith, QB (Four Year Extension, Five Years Total)

Pending Free Agents:
Kirk Cousins, QB – (Signed With Vikings)
Terrelle Pryor, WR – (Very Likely Walks)
Shawn Lauvao, OG – (Unknown)
Niles Paul, TE/ST – (Signed With Jaguars)
Spencer Long, OG/C – (Signed With Jets)
Ryan Grant, WR – (Signed With Colts)
DeAngelo Hall, FS – (Very Likely Retires)
Arthur Jones, DT – (Probably Walks)
Bashaud Breeland, CB – (Signed With Panthers)
Will Compton, ILB – (Very Likely Walks)
Trent Murphy, OLB – (Signed with Bills)
Junior Galette, OLB – (Unknown)
Chris Carter, LB/ST – (Unknown)
Tony Bergstrom, C – (Very Likely Walks)
Zach Vigil, ILB – (Possibly Re-signs)
Phil Taylor, DT – (Unknown)

Possible Release Candidates:
Keith Marshall, RB – (Cap Savings, $33K – Dead Cap, $538.6K)
Terrell McClain, DE/DT – (Cap Savings, $3.25M – Dead Cap, $3.75M {If June 1st Cut, Spread Over Two Yrs})
Byron Marshall, RB – (Cap Savings, $630K – Dead Cap, $0)
Jordan Reed, TE – (Cap Savings, $5.2M – Dead Cap, $5.4M)
T.J. Clemmings, OT – (Cap Savings, $705K – Dead Cap, $0)
Arie Kouandjio, OG – (Cap Savings, $705K – Dead Cap, $0)
Demetrius Rhaney, C – (Cap Savings, $705K – Dead Cap, $0)
A.J. Francis, DE – (Cap Savings, $705K – Dead Cap, $0)
Su'a Cravens, SS – (Cap Savings, $1.36M – Dead Cap, $1.7M)

Offseason Updates:
Multiple reports suggest that the Redskins are looking to trade Su'a Cravens.

The Redskins now have $21M of cap room and would have small cap ramifications if Terrell McClain is released as a June 1 candidate. The dead cap would be $3.75M, but could be spread out over two years.

The new cap for 2018 is $177.2M.

We are ending the list of potential free agents today as the list has dwindled and free agency is now in a second phase.

With the new extension for Alex Smith as he joins the Redskins, we have learned that the total deal is for five years (four year extension).

Personal Thoughts:
The Denver Broncos are still very interested in Su'a Cravens.

BBQ believes that if Su'a Cravens is not traded, Bruce Allen will hold on to him until the final cuts.

See you as we go along.

Hail To The Redskins!

The Redskins give a mid tier receiver $20M but can't get any DL signed because we can't afford to pay market for talent?

I think something is getting lost in translation.

The 25 year old Hankins is a better football player than Sylvester Williams and he's 4 years younger.

Hopefully we are looking to put a team together with some guys who are sticking around.

Free agency should be about more than one year stop gaps and voidable multi year deals with 29-32 year old players.

That seem like all we are interested in.

We made those types of moves for McClain and McGhee last year as gap fillers on the DL.

Didn't turn out so pretty.

Last edited:
The Redskins give a mid tier receiver $20M but can't get any DL signed because we can't afford to pay market for talent?

I think something is getting lost in translation.

The 25 year old Hankins is a better football player than Sylvester Williams and he's 4 years younger.

Hopefully we are looking to put a team together with some guys who are sticking around.

Free agency should be about more than one year stop gaps and voidable multi year deals with 29-32 year old players.

That seem like all we are interested in.

We made those types of moves for McClain and McGhee last year as gap fillers on the DL.

Didn't turn out so pretty.

And we did it with receivers, and the DL before McGee and McClain last year. I'm tired of 2nd and 3rd tier acquisitions every year in FA with a top tier signing every 3 years. We sit in a financial positon to sign at least one marquis FA every year.

I don't know enough about Hankins and will defer to you and others on that opportunity, but Orlando Scandrick? Paul Richardson? Some can garner all the optimism they want, but we will never get better by signing guys like that, only.

I think Richardson is a solid player but clearly we paid above for what he has produced.

In 2015 we gave Josh Norman $20M a year.

But my problem comes in when we don't seem to want to spend anything above bargain rate for either line.

What were the Eagles gobbling up in the offseason?

Linemen.

And it's not like they have Randy Moss at WR or Patrick Peterson at CB.

I think Richardson is a solid player but clearly we paid above for what he has produced.

In 2015 we gave Josh Norman $20M a year.

But my problem comes in when we don't seem to want to spend anything above bargain rate for either line.

What were the Eagles gobbling up in the offseason?

Linemen.

And it's not like they have Randy Moss at WR or Patrick Peterson at CB.

That's my point, Norman seems to have been worth it, a good shutdown CB is...but that was 3 years ago.

And I agree with what Philly has done, drafted and acquired good lineman in FA. That's why I keep referencing them.

Us? Look at what we've signed so far, and what was available. Many suggest this is a slow and deliberate course of action, I say it's cheap and ineffective, as has been the case for years.

That's my point, Norman seems to have been worth it, a good shutdown CB is...but that was 3 years ago.

And I agree with what Philly has done, drafted and acquired good lineman in FA. That's why I keep referencing them.

Us? Look at what we've signed so far, and what was available. Many suggest this is a slow and deliberate course of action, I say it's cheap and ineffective, as has been the case for years.

This is the worst off-season we've had in a decade. And I'm always optimistic.

This feels exactly like passing on Calais Campbell for hot garbage.

Scandrick to me has a high potential to be another Terrell McClain at age 31.

He's clearly on the downside and there were indications he has lost speed.

We didn't pay him a ton, but in Cooley's words he is 'just a guy' and one that can't seem to stay healthy to boot.

All that said, on the defensive line we have been lying to ourselves for years, or at least the coaching staff has.

They keep saying 'we don't need a top shelf NT because we only run the basic front 30-35% of the time'.

But we continue to finish in the bottom 5-6 in the NFL vis a vis average rush yards against.

Pro Football Focus has Ziggy Hood rated as the 79th NT/DT out of 79 sampled for the 2017 season.

Playing an undersized rotation end at NT didn't work.

Neither will signing a 29-30 year old guy who failed in his last stop to make an impact.

Again, you are talking about adding 'just a guy'.

We need better than that even with Allen coming back healthy.

Hankins is 25 and we should be more aggressive in trying to get him in here.

There are some ways we can create some cap space if that is an issue.

But if we are going to trade for a 33/34 year old quarterback in Alex Smith and have a 29/30 year old Trent Williams at LT, we need to take advantage of these players while they are still at the top of their games.

We have to try and at least be a playoff team in 2018 and then place ourselves in position to truly contend in 2019.

A bunch of Debbie Downers today. However, let's take a look at some realistic situations here.

The following players will need to be extended this offseason or next:

Jamison Crowder
Brandon Scherff
Preston Smith

Cap management is very important in light of these three players getting new contracts.

Also, have we forgotten about Jon Allen, Matt Ioannidis, and Anthony Lanier? Stacy McGee now has a year in this system and so does Terrell McClain - let's see what they can do. And it will be interesting to see what we have in young players Montori Hughes and Ondre Pipkins.

If we get Hankins or Logan in FA - great. Expect a DT to be taken in the draft.

No need to push a panic button just yet. We're not even a week into FA.

If we get vita vea or Payne it will be just as good as getting any of the guys on the free agent market
Before the injured when Allen Foster and Brown were on the field our run defense was stout. Adding a quality draft pick will make that better.

A bunch of Debbie Downers today. However, let's take a look at some realistic situations here.

The following players will need to be extended this offseason or next:

Jamison Crowder
Brandon Scherff
Preston Smith

Cap management is very important in light of these three players getting new contracts.

Also, have we forgotten about Jon Allen, Matt Ioannidis, and Anthony Lanier? Stacy McGee now has a year in this system and so does Terrell McClain - let's see what they can do. And it will be interesting to see what we have in young players Montori Hughes and Ondre Pipkins.

If we get Hankins or Logan in FA - great. Expect a DT to be taken in the draft.

No need to push a panic button just yet. We're not even a week into FA.

I don't see McGee or McClain going anywhere unless the Skins just wind up with guys that make them expendable. Total cap space gained if they dumped both is like $2.5M. I'd also toss Hood in with those guys if you need depth at the end of camp. When not playing NT he was OK. On the other hand, he is not a NT (like Ioannidis) and I'm not holding anything against a couple of guy's who weigh in at 305 when they are played at NT.

I do not see anything that Allen or Snyder do as "evil"...simply incompetent.

This right here.^^

For all the faults that folks like to point out on Scot McCloughan, I feel like this is where we miss him most: convincing the free agents to stay here.

When Norman was released, the Redskins wouldn't let him leave until he signed. Alot of that was Scot McCloughan bending his ear,convincing him to stay.

With Hankins, they wanted him last year and let him slip away to the Colts and they settled for Mcgee and McClain. Now they get a second shot at Hankins(rare in back to back years) and it seems like they let him slip out the door.

All of this on a back drop where it was reported that the Redskins were going to be aggressive in free agency this year?

Maybe this IS aggressive for Doug and Bruce? Somebody needs to wake up at the Park.

The Dallas Cowboys own us.

The Eagles are getting better and swept us last year.

The Giants seem to get the best of us whenever they want to.

If the Redskins ever want to do anything in this division, they need to quit farting around and set about building two dominant lines.

Can't keep letting good Dlinemen walk out the door, like they just stopped by to pick up their dry cleaning, just so the team can bargain basement shop.

If we get vita vea or Payne it will be just as good as getting any of the guys on the free agent market
Before the injured when Allen Foster and Brown were on the field our run defense was stout. Adding a quality draft pick will make that better.

We should be getting Vea or Payne and one of the guys in FA.

You guys, take a look at the most recent SB champion...that is a great example of how it needs to be done in today's NFL, the Seahwaks were the same when they won, even New England will give away draft picks in order to fill key positions of need in a trade or with a top tier free agent, while still drafting for need.

It takes draft and FA, and our FO has failed so far. Hankins should not have been let out the door, DCR either. And we should have at least explored Allen Robinson, while still signing Richardson.

I keep hearing about money, but this team has never truly had cap problems except when the bullshit NFL decision to take money from us because we unloaded cap space in a year where there was no cap.

Edit: I mean look at what Philly just did, they have one of the very best interior OL in the league, and traded to get another one while signing an aged Haloti Ngata. We should sign Hankins, bring in Suh for a year, and draft Vea.

Like I said before, those moves the Eagles are making are making them a better team, our moves have not made us a better team.

Last edited:
Skins have made several offers this offseason that haven't closed the deal. Made offer to Galette too. Low. Now McPhee. Stay tuned/wait https://t.co/ck6J74sHxb

--John Keim

The Galette offer was low and laughable compared to what others who didn't play much last year got.

--Chick Hernandez

So we're just getting cheap.

Is the goal to save money or to get the best football players and win games?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.