• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Draft DL Jonathan Allen With No. 17 Overall Pick

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
April 27, 2017

REDSKINS DRAFT DL JONATHAN ALLEN WITH NO. 17 OVERALL PICK

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins selected defensive lineman Jonathan Allen in the first round (No. 17 overall) of the 2017 NFL Draft.

Allen (6-3, 286) played in 57 career games at Alabama from 2013-16, recording 154 tackles (78 solo), 45.0 tackles for loss, 28.5 sacks, seven pass breakups and three forced fumbles. His 28.5 career sacks rank second in Alabama history, trailing only College and Pro Football Hall of Famer Derrick Thomas.

As a senior and team captain in 2016, Allen played in all 15 games, contributing 69 tackles (33 solo), 16.0 tackles for loss, 10.5 sacks and also contributed two touchdowns on fumble returns. A unanimous first-team All-American selection, he earned the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, Chuck Bednarik Award and Ted Hendricks Award and helped lead the Crimson Tide to a berth in the national championship.

Allen appeared in all 15 games of Alabama’s national championship campaign in 2015, compiling 36 tackles (19 solo), 14.5 tackles for loss and 12.0 sacks. He earned first-team All-SEC selections from the Associated Press and the conference’s coaches.

Allen also earned first-team All-SEC honors as a sophomore in 2014 after recording 33 tackles (16 solo), 11.5 tackles for loss and 5.5 sacks in 14 games. A year earlier, he appeared in 13 games and contributed 16 tackles (10 solo) and 3.0 tackles for loss as a freshman.

Allen, 22, attended Ashburn’s Stone Bridge H.S., approximately five miles from Inova Sports Performance Center at Redskins Park. At Stone Bridge, Allen was a first-team Parade All-American and was the recipient of the 2012 Gatorade Virginia Player of the Year award. He was born Jan. 16, 1995.

NOTES ON THE SELECTION OF JONATHAN ALLEN

· Allen is the 456th selection made by the Redskins in the Common Draft era (since 1967) and the 28th first-round selection in that time frame. He is the 59th first-round selection by the Redskins all-time since the institution of the draft in 1936.

· Allen’s selection snaps a two-year streak of the Redskins selecting an offensive player with their first selection in the NFL Draft (Brandon Scherff in 2015 and Josh Doctson in 2016). He is the first defensive player to be the first selection of the Redskins in a draft since the team chose Trent Murphy with their first selection (a second-round pick) of the 2014 NFL Draft.

· Allen is the first defensive player selected by the Redskins in the first round since the team drafted two-time Pro Bowl linebacker Ryan Kerrigan in the first round of the 2011 NFL Draft.

· Allen’s selection marks the first time the Redskins have selected a defensive lineman with their first selection in a draft since 2009 when the team selected defensive-end-turned-linebacker Brian Orakpo in the first round. The last time the Redskins selected a player that remained along the defensive line with their first selection in a draft was in 1997, when the team selected DE Kenard Lang, coincidentally also with No. 17 overall pick.

· Allen becomes the third Bronko Nagurski Award winner (awarded annually by the Football Writers Association of America to the best defensive player in the nation) selected by the Redskins since the award’s inception in 1993, joining Orakpo (2009 NFL Draft) and Champ Bailey (1999).

· Allen is the second Chuck Bednarik Award winner (awarded by the Maxwell Football Club to the best defensive player in America) drafted by the Redskins all-time since the award’s inception in 1995, joining LB LaVar Arrington (2000 NFL Draft).

· Allen is the second Ted Hendricks Award winner (awarded by the Ted Hendricks Foundation to college football’s top defensive end) drafted by the Redskins since the award’s inception in 2002, joining Orakpo (2009 NFL Draft). (Note: 2013 Ted Hendricks Award winner Jackson Jeffcoat also spent part of the 2014-15 seasons with the Redskins after entering the league as an undrafted free agent with the Seattle Seahawks)

· Allen becomes the first Alabama product selected by the Redskins in the first round since the team chose six-time Pro Bowl tackle Chris Samuels with the No. 3 overall pick in the 2000 NFL Draft. Foster is now the fourth Alabama product selected by the Redskins in the first round all-time, joining Samuels, B Riley Smith (1936), B Harry Gilmer (1948) and B Lowell Tew (1948).

· Allen is the 22nd player from the University of Alabama selected by the Redskins all-time, joining B Riley Smith (1936), B Charley Holm (1939), E Sandy Sanford (1940), T Fred Davis (1941), G Ed Hickerson (1941), G Tony Leon (1943), B Bobby Jenkins (1945), T Fay Mills (1946), B Harry Gilmer (1948), B Lowell Tew (1948), T Dick Flowers (1949), E Ed White (1950), B Eddie Salem (1951), C Elliot Speed (1951), B Billy Hicks (1956), T Billy Neighbors (1962), E Tommy Brooker (1962), DB Steve Higginbotham (1972), DT Thomas Rayam (1990), T Chris Samuels (2000) and G Arie Kouandjio (2015).

· With Allen’s selection, the Redskins’ 22 all-time picks from Alabama broke a tie with Penn State (21) for the third-most all-time draft selections from any single school in franchise history. The Crimson Tide now trail only Notre Dame (34) and USC (30) in Redskins draft history.

· Allen becomes the first Southeastern Conference product selected by the Redskins in the first round since selecting LSU’s LaRon Landry with the sixth overall pick in the 2007 NFL Draft.

· Allen becomes the fifth player selected by the Redskins all-time with the No. 17 overall pick, joining B Red Knight (1947), DT Bobby Wilson (1991), DB Tom Carter (1993) and DE Kenard Lang (1997).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the seriousness of the shoulder issue? I mean, this guy was slated to go top 5? And he drops in our lap at 17? I know there was a push on offense that had a few defensive guys dropping, but a top 5 pick to 17? There is something there, this isn't circumstantial luck.

It was almost rumor-like. He could have arthritic conditions in his shoulders in about twelve to fifteen years, maybe twenty. It should be treatable even when he gets older. The concern was overblown and that is why I never mocked him to us. He is simply top five - likely top two.

Look, I'm not going to try and over analyze what happened. All this did was eliminate the need to take another DL too early (read, McDowell). McDowell is now an after thought and Allen is light years better. I really don't know what we will do tonight, but there is no need to panic about the DL any longer.

There will be good options for the Redskins in this draft now and it all goes back to what happened last night. Just enjoy it. We got the biggest steal of round one. On to the rest of the draft.

What is the seriousness of the shoulder issue? I mean, this guy was slated to go top 5? And he drops in our lap at 17? I know there was a push on offense that had a few defensive guys dropping, but a top 5 pick to 17? There is something there, this isn't circumstantial luck.

He didn't drop due to the injury worries imho (look at his production last year). He 'dropped' because teams went QB and playmaker early.

He didn't drop due to the injury worries imho (look at his production last year). He 'dropped' because teams went QB and playmaker early.

I can see dropping 4-6 slots because of the offense push, but 12? Ever the pessimist...leave me be a scrooge!

I concur whole heartedly on this. Fans were sold on Mayock's hype and I got a laugh out of watching him be foolishly wrong early on.

I watched every Alabama game as my sister's side of the family are alumni and she has never missed a game since 1964. Unbelievable. But Allen himself was unbelievable, one thing that wasn't brought out was that he can run with the ball, scored many of Alabama's record setting non-offensive TD's and he is a playmaking turnover machine. IMHO he was the best player in the draft from the get go. We were so fortunate, but so due for a pick like this. Alabama's defense was #1 in college, and they are loaded with playmakers. Best defense I ever saw.

Those teams that 'reached' for quarterbacks in a year with a relatively poor crop comparative to other years are going to rue the day when they see some of the defensive players that went in second half of the round make a much greater impact in the NFL.

The ghosts of guys like Christian Ponder and Jake Locker weigh heavy on the determination some teams bring to the draft that they need to grab a quarterback for the sake of grabbing a quarterback, regardless of relative draft value.

It's amazing isn't it? I understand the new logic that with rookie QB salaries so much lower than the days of Sam Bradford, it makes it much less devastating to draft a QB early and miss. And the adage that 'if you love a QB, you have to do whatever it takes to move up and get him' has some merit due to the impact a great one can have. But the bottom line is, this mentality leads to a lot of wishful thinking and glossing over of facts - like drafting guys in the first round with only a year of starter film to assess.

I'm happy that the trend continued this draft because it has been very helpful to us :)

It's a big risk performance-wise given the severity of the injury, but it appears the Vikings are not going to exercise the option on Teddy Bridgewater in 2018 and let him go into free agency.

He might be a guy to target who you can get relatively cheaply and if he rebounds from the injury provides the team a guy who is at least a middle of the pack NFL starter and may be better than that down the road.

I would much rather take a chance on that kind of player, who has already shown NFL ability, than 'force' a pick in Round 1 on a guy that is objectively a second or third round talent.

I had that same thought BD

It's a big risk performance-wise given the severity of the injury, but it appears the Vikings are not going to exercise the option on Teddy Bridgewater in 2018 and let him go into free agency.
He might be a guy to target who you can get relatively cheaply and if he rebounds from the injury provides the team a guy who is at least a middle of the pack NFL starter and may be better than that down the road.
I would much rather take a chance on that kind of player, who has already shown NFL ability, than 'force' a pick in Round 1 on a guy that is objectively a second or third round talent.

Or even sign two guys like that, say Mike Glennon and Mark Sanchez. Then hand over a ransom to move up from third spot to the second for a guy you coulda had without trading. Is Trubisky a guy that can come in and be a 'right now' type or a force pick? I think the Bears panicked for a player that might be their franchise QB but not necessarily a guy that is a franchise player.

Sanchez? Jesus - you are a glutton for punishment, aren't you? :)

It continues to amaze me how Gomez continues to find any kind of work.

Sanchez? Jesus - you are a glutton for punishment, aren't you? :)

Redskins fan for the last 50 years so check 'yes' on glutton for punishment...:p

I get the idea of picking up a vet backup but don't get signing Sanchez so soon when he'll be around later on, especially getting him prior to the draft. It's almost like the Bears didn't consider drafting a QB until the day they got to Philly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.