• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Work Thread

Sorry to hear it brother. I know that's got to be rough regardless of the circumstances. But I also know that you are a stand up and talented guy and won't be out of work for long. What's keeping you from going solo? You appear to have mad skills. If I had the chance to do my own thing I would jump at it.

The big "M" Money. It really costs a fortune to open a shop, and carry an inventory. Minimum requirements from aftermarket suppliers is a big expense alone, and you need that supply of parts. Business is in a downward swing right now. Shop and sales have been down consistently the past two years, to the point the shop is going to loose one of the techs, and don't plan on replacing him, so timing for a shop of my own isn't the best either.

I could be working in a shop tomorrow if I go for any of the smaller places looking, but I need to hit a company with a benefit package. I actually think I'd rather get back into manufacturing. I'm tired of dealing with pissy customers at this point, and tired of working weekends. I miss the M to F, 8 to 5. I have an interview for an industrial mechanic position. I have some experience with the exact type of machinery they use. I had loved that job because it was always something different, and fairly challenging. I should have never left the shop for the parts department. I was purely to get out of the unhealthy conditions.... The real question tomorrow, is the shop under AC during the peak heat of the year. If not, how well ventilated it is will have all to do with my decision. I haven't even sat down with them, and know the job is mine from the phone conversation I've had with the owner.

Wow, I find it amazing no posts in this thread for almost two years.

Well, after 12 years I find myself unemployed. Got let go first thing this morning. No worries though, I've not been happy at the job, just complacent. Should have gotten out a few years back when I got screwed over by the service manager.

Already have an interview for Monday morning. I'll likely be asking more questions of them, then them of me.

Onward and upward !

Sorry to hear they let you go Pete. How did the interview go?

Sorry to hear they let you go Pete. How did the interview go?

He's ready to hire me, but I want to keep my options open. I told him I was going to pass being I had a motorcycle shop chasing me. He's in no rush to hire, wanting to get the right guy in his shop, and said if the bike shop didn't pan out, to come see him. Have another interview this morning. I'd already be at the bike shop, but they have all the employees as "1099's" independent contractors. I'd have to self insure, and deal with an accountant for taxes. I'm not so keen on that, and my wife....... well lets just say it wasn't a very good conversation concerning it. I'll be meeting with that shop again late today to see how much money he's offering. I'd need a good deal more money then I had been making to make it even plausible. I was actually thinking about the School Bus drive gig, but my wife and daughter think I'd lose it dealing with the kids. LOL

I hope everything works out for the best, Pete. You deserve it my friend. Best wishes on the journey. Keep us updated, brother.

Ha, I'm sure you'd keep your cool with them. I drive a sped route so you always have a helper and it's a fraction of the kids. Regular ed drivers can have 70+ elementary kids on a route. Talk about insanity!

Currently my "full" route is 11. Not sure about your area but here it starts at $19-hr

Well it's official, I'm now employed at Southwest Cycles, right here in sunny Cape Coral. First time in like 23 years since I've worked in the town I live, and I just love the sound of a 4 minute commute to work.... with morning traffic. I'll be running his shop, and twisting on bikes some. My main objective is to expand his business, and he's put a lot of faith in my. I confident I can get it done given some time and an open mind, which I have to say, this guy has.

Let the games begin !

Knock em dead Pete!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate and admire the courage a move like that takes. Did it myself many, many years ago. I know it may sound trite but life really is short. Too short to be unhappy. I would imagine you have the support of those that matter the most.

They can never take your education and experience away from you. That's worth its weight in gold.

I always say the two best days of an employee's career is the first day and the last. With your kind of experience and ambition I would look into starting my own home health care company, you don't do the hands on stuff, you set up the patients with the caregivers and take your cut. Its such a huge need and booming business. Wished I hadn't missed that boat, I worked with an accountant from Africa when I moved to Dallas, and when our company went in the tank, he left to start up home health care and all he knew about it was his buddy's wife was a nurse. They started with one nurse.

Perhaps I'm being selfish putting my 'happiness' above my family's financial security. I'm not going to lie, it will hurt from that vantage point.

In the long run, it's better for person and the whole family, in my opinion, to choose the happiness route
Staying at a highly stressful job can have adverse effects on the individual's health (mental and physical) and that, in turn can have domino effects on a family. Money can't buy true happiness. But in some ways happiness can buy money, because if you're in a better state of mind at the lower-paying job, you're at your creative best, to invent new ways to supplement or increase your income.
This is stuff you probably already know. And I bet you're one who handles stress well, so maybe it's not an issue.
So that was just my 2 cents.

I know it may sound trite but life really is short. Too short to be unhappy.

And this is why I have been keeping my eyes open for something more suited to what makes me happy. I hate the place I'm working, and it's sucked the life out of me. As luck would have it, a new Triumph dealer is opening in town. There was an article in the local business section, and I got my hands on an email address for the owner today. Sent him a message. It took less then 15 minutes to get a call from him, Interview on Monday. Don't know, but I'm likely look at a tech spot at the least, maybe service or parts management. Keep your fingers crossed.

And this is why I have been keeping my eyes open for something more suited to what makes me happy. I hate the place I'm working, and it's sucked the life out of me. As luck would have it, a new Triumph dealer is opening in town. There was an article in the local business section, and I got my hands on an email address for the owner today. Sent him a message. It took less then 15 minutes to get a call from him, Interview on Monday. Don't know, but I'm likely look at a tech spot at the least, maybe service or parts management. Keep your fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed for you, Pete.

Honey, I'm comin home :) LOL Hired me on the spot for the package I requested. He's already lining up for Triumph update training for me, and I'll eventually train for Indian. Don't even know when we'll have a soft opening, late Jan, early Feb. I'm figuring. Ground floor, and lots of input on how to make it work. Needless to say, I'm happier then a puppy with two peckers.

Honey, I'm comin home :) LOL Hired me on the spot for the package I requested. He's already lining up for Triumph update training for me, and I'll eventually train for Indian. Don't even know when we'll have a soft opening, late Jan, early Feb. I'm figuring. Ground floor, and lots of input on how to make it work. Needless to say, I'm happier then a puppy with two peckers.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy either :)

I imagine it takes about 5 minutes to see the passion, knowledge, and lifetime of experience... anyone, doing anything being lucky to have you.

So there's that ... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always loved the look of Indian bikes too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.