• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Book Recommendation Thread

Lanky Livingston

I know we have one of these, but apparently I am terrible at searching. So...shall we start a new one?

Just finished two Michael Crichton books in the past 2 weeks, and 3 in the past 2 months. I love his work, too bad he's gone already.

Prey - good read, scientific as usual in his books
Timeline - great read, enjoyed it more than Prey,
Pirate Lattitudes - Pirates of the Carribean meets Michael Crichtons story telling, enjoyed it immensely.

Also read Prince of Fire by Daniel Silva, its the last of the series, I never read the first ones but this book was solid, Israeli agent vs essentially the PLO with some plot twists at the whazzooo

My favorites are...

Alistair MacLean
Paul Brickhill
Ian Fleming
Tom Clancy
Bill Pronzini
P.D. James
James Michener

I was a Dickens scholar at UVA, so I definitely like reading his works as well.

I really wish I had more time to read. I really enjoy it. I did not start until a few years ago. As of right now my favorite by far is 'The Hobbit.' I thought the movie 'Sphere' was horrible. But the Michaeld Crichton book was excellent.

If you like horror:
Joe Ledger Series by Jonathan Maberry is basically Tom Clancy with monsters. I would say his books are great but they really are a lot of fun.

World War Z. Easily the best Zombie book ever written IMO.

Carrion Comfort, Dan Simmons. Some of the most evil villains to ever be conjured up.

If you like a little more literature and less popular style:
Shadow of the Wind and Angels Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon are both good. They are not fast paced however so muscle through the dry spots and when you're done I think you'll be happy you did.

Awesome! Thanks Mike!

And I didn't even have to Mooo-hooo-ve on down to the bookstore to get it!

hh, are you looking specifically for a Jefferson book? Or would you be interested in a very simple read about the Founding Fathers?

When I took a graduate course on Revolutionary America, we were given a book called, Founding Brothers, The Revolutionary Generation by Joseph Ellis.

hh, are you looking specifically for a Jefferson book? Or would you be interested in a very simple read about the Founding Fathers?

When I took a graduate course on Revolutionary America, we were given a book called, Founding Brothers, The Revolutionary Generation by Joseph Ellis.

I was looking for Jefferson specifically. But I may well pick this one up. Thanks!

The reason I mention it is because it is such an easy read and while not specific to any one individual, it is very informative.

The reason I mention it is because it is such an easy read and while not specific to any one individual, it is very informative.

Sounds like my kind of read. I love an author that can get complex concepts across in a manner that I can understand. (And trust me, that's no easy task. lol.) I still do want to find a good TJ bio, but maybe this would be a good read beforehand. Might add some context and background that I'm not familiar with.

As an aside, and sorry for the sidetrack, but for anyone that hasn't been to Independence Hall, I cannot possibly recommend it highly enough. It felt like a religious experience. You can FEEL the greatness there. It's hard to explain, but if you can, do yourself a favor and make the trip.

Reading Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy right now. Very enjoyable, about a third of the way through. The upcoming movie looks like a lot of fun, so I figured I would read it first.

Just finished "The Duma Key"...pretty good if you like Stephen King...reading "it" again right now....one of my favorites of all time

I'm needing my zombie fix since The Walking Dead is now on hiatus. So I'm reading World War Z. Pretty good so far. I hear they are making a movie with Brad Pitt starring.

I'm on book two of the Game of Thrones series; they are really good. You've got to be into the genre, I think, but they could also appeal to the casual reader. Excellent story telling, descriptions, and character development.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.